Problem using "Update retirement account" in Money 2005

I'm having trouble updating my 401k account using "Update retirement account"
for my end of 2004 statement. There is one specific investement that produces
the following error:

"... will cause the balance of 'xx' held in this investment account to
become negative at some point. Please cancel or revise the transaction."

If I try to do the "Dividend" and the "Buy" transactions manually then I get
the following error when I try to do the "Dividend" transaction:

"You have not purchased 'xx' in this Investment Account prior to this date.
Are you sure you want to enter this activity?"

Note that 'xx' has been in my account for years.
I answer "Yes" so I can proceed to the "Buy" transaction but when I do the
"Buy" I get the same error I was getting doing the "Update retirement
account" (above).

I need to update the account because it has since been closed and I need to
move it to another account.

Any ideas? Thanks.
0
SAM4137 (239)
2/3/2005 2:13:03 PM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

I used to use "Update Retirement Account" religiously every quarter until
some funds in my account were no longer available to me and were
automatically transferred into new funds.  This caused all kinds of
headaches.  I then started using the 401(k) Manager and did my updates
there.  It's much simpler and gets the job done.
To use it in Money 2005:

Click on the Investing tab
Click on Investing Tools, choose 401(k) Manager
Click on Update this account
Enter the statement date and statement total, then enter the current
quantity and price of each of your investments

The only negative here is if you are trying to track the performance or
price at which you bought individual investments.  You will lose that since
the 401(k) Manager merely updates your account and makes the appropriate
adjustment.

Richard

"Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having trouble updating my 401k account using "Update retirement
> account"
> for my end of 2004 statement. There is one specific investement that
> produces
> the following error:
>
> "... will cause the balance of 'xx' held in this investment account to
> become negative at some point. Please cancel or revise the transaction."
>
> If I try to do the "Dividend" and the "Buy" transactions manually then I
> get
> the following error when I try to do the "Dividend" transaction:
>
> "You have not purchased 'xx' in this Investment Account prior to this
> date.
> Are you sure you want to enter this activity?"
>
> Note that 'xx' has been in my account for years.
> I answer "Yes" so I can proceed to the "Buy" transaction but when I do the
> "Buy" I get the same error I was getting doing the "Update retirement
> account" (above).
>
> I need to update the account because it has since been closed and I need
> move it to another account.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.

Richard

Update Retirement Account wizard loses all my data (2005)
Every month I use the somewhat tedious Update Retirement Account wizard to enter the month's 401(k) transactions. (Yes, I know I could try downloading them, but that hasn't worked smoothly in the past and I'm wary of it.) Anyway, since upgrading to Money 2005, I get an error at the end of the process when I click the Finish button: "Your information is being saved. If the problem persists..." When I click OK, none of my data is saved. Any ideas? Thanks! -Doug I came across this one over the weekend on the UK version. If I hear back I'll try to remember to...

2005 Update Retirement Account Problem
I am having the same problem as discussed in a post on 10/5. Has anyone else seen this or know of a solution? And btw, I am not running XP SP2, just a fully updated SP1 system. I tried everything I could find in the KB to no avail as well. I am getting really frustrated with how many bugs there are in 2005. I have used MS Money for years and have never had as many problems as I have with 2005. I can't believe that this product made it out to the public with as many problems as there are. Any comments would be appreciated. ...

Problem using "Update retirement account" in Money 2005
I'm having trouble updating my 401k account using "Update retirement account" for my end of 2004 statement. There is one specific investement that produces the following error: "... will cause the balance of 'xx' held in this investment account to become negative at some point. Please cancel or revise the transaction." If I try to do the "Dividend" and the "Buy" transactions manually then I get the following error when I try to do the "Dividend" transaction: "You have not purchased 'xx' in this Investment Account...

Money 2005, Update, and Update Retirement Account bug -- fixed?
Does the update fix the bug with running the "Update Retirement Account" wizard? Thanks, Rik I think so. When I run the wizard I don't get the error as before. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially if it's a UK specific wish. I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money ...

Update retirement accounts not working
I just started having a strange problem trying to update my retirement account vs. my quarterly statement. (More investing tasks...Update Retirement Account) I have done this dozens of times over the laste few years with no problems. Now, when I enter in all the summary data from my paper statement and click on Finish, Nothing happens, it gives no error and acts like it did the update, but nothing shows up in my register at all. It actually acts like I clicked on the postpone button, becase if I try and do it again, all the data I entered in is still in the input forms, but again not...

Update Retirement Account in 2006
Has anyone else found that this feature no longer functions properly in Money 2006? It goes through the motions, but does not update the account (i.e., add/remove shares). And if you try to go through the process again, all of the previous info is still stored as if the process did not complete. Also, if 401k Manager is used instead - it DOES add/remove, but it does not mark the transactions as reconciled. Can MS get NOTHING right??????? This wizard has been broken since Money 99. It has never worked properly since then. The problem I have with it is that is doesn't update t...

Unable to update retirement account
Anyone have a solution to this problem? Whenever I try to update my retirement account I received the error message immediately: "this operation cannot be performed" Chris In microsoft.public.money, Chris wrote: >Anyone have a solution to this problem? Whenever I try to update my >retirement account I received the error message immediately: > >"this operation cannot be performed" See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466/en-us Unfortunately, I've run the File Repair utility numerous times and it comes back clean - so this doesn't fix this er...

401(k) Unable to Update Retirement Account
In the past I have updated my retirement account via "Update Retirement Account" or "401(k) Manager" once a quarter. Since upgrading to Money Premium 2006 I noticed that my account could download my transactions online and directly within Money (not yodlee). Super! Each paycheck I check for updates, the appropriate buys are downloaded into "Investment Transactions" and my "Cash Transactions are updated to a zero balance. All the cash transactions are marked "R" (reconciled) but the investment transactions are marked "E". No pro...

Update retirement accounts not working in Money 2006 Deluxe
I usually enter my retirement account info (401, 457, etc) via the Update Retirement Account option. have not been able to use this for any 2006 statements (up to 2005 worked fine). I enter all the data but it does not get entered into the register. If I go back into "Update Retirement Account" the data is all there, but nothing in the register. I tried Quick File repair with no observable change. Is this a known issue? Is there a patch? There have been issues like this with Update Retirement Account for eons. I can only conclude that Microsoft really doesn't care if it ...

2005: Update Retirement Account working OK for others?
Every month I use the somewhat tedious Update Retirement Account wizard to enter the month's 401(k) transactions. Since upgrading to Money 2005, I get an error at the end of the process when I click the Finish button: "Your information is being saved. If the problem persists..." When I click OK, none of my data is saved. Anyone else having the same problem? I've tried everything...work offline, delete the online data, recreate the online data, etc. Thanks! -Doug Yes, I'm experiencing the same problem with Money 2005 Premium on Windows XP with Service Pack 2. I...