Problem trying to open old money file

Hi,

I am trying to open a four-month old money file, which was on my backup
disk. It is a *.mny file, not a backup file. It was created using the same
version of Money (2005) which I still use.

When I start MS MONEY and try open my old data file, it tells my that it
wants convert my file so it works with this version. (Not sure why as the
file was created in this version of MS Money). Then when I try and carry out
the conversion it gives the following error message.

"Money cannot locate xxxx or cannot open it, possibly because it is a
read-only file or you do not have permisson to change it or the drive is
write protected.

If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need
to click OK and open your most recent back up. etc"

The file is not read only and the drive is not write protected and the back
up files give me the same errors and I am an administrator on this machine.

Any advice on solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0
RichT
12/25/2009 9:05:47 AM
money 28651 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Try opening sample.mny and see what the M2005 version number is. It needs to
be 14.*.*.1105. If it is not you are missing the vital download patch.

Bob Peel

"RichT" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to open a four-month old money file, which was on my backup
> disk. It is a *.mny file, not a backup file. It was created using the same
> version of Money (2005) which I still use.
>
> When I start MS MONEY and try open my old data file, it tells my that it
> wants convert my file so it works with this version. (Not sure why as the
> file was created in this version of MS Money). Then when I try and carry
> out the conversion it gives the following error message.
>
> "Money cannot locate xxxx or cannot open it, possibly because it is a
> read-only file or you do not have permisson to change it or the drive is
> write protected.
>
> If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will
> need to click OK and open your most recent back up. etc"
>
> The file is not read only and the drive is not write protected and the
> back up files give me the same errors and I am an administrator on this
> machine.
>
> Any advice on solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

0
Bob
12/25/2009 11:03:02 AM
I am using exactly the same version of money that was used to create the
file a few months ago.

"Bob Peel" <bob_peel@kiandra.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Try opening sample.mny and see what the M2005 version number is. It needs
> to be 14.*.*.1105. If it is not you are missing the vital download patch.
>
> Bob Peel
>
> "RichT" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to open a four-month old money file, which was on my backup
>> disk. It is a *.mny file, not a backup file. It was created using the
>> same version of Money (2005) which I still use.
>>
>> When I start MS MONEY and try open my old data file, it tells my that it
>> wants convert my file so it works with this version. (Not sure why as the
>> file was created in this version of MS Money). Then when I try and carry
>> out the conversion it gives the following error message.
>>
>> "Money cannot locate xxxx or cannot open it, possibly because it is a
>> read-only file or you do not have permisson to change it or the drive is
>> write protected.
>>
>> If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will
>> need to click OK and open your most recent back up. etc"
>>
>> The file is not read only and the drive is not write protected and the
>> back up files give me the same errors and I am an administrator on this
>> machine.
>>
>> Any advice on solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks

0
RichT
12/25/2009 12:02:36 PM
In microsoft.public.money, RichT wrote:

>I am using exactly the same version of money that was used to create the
>file a few months ago.

I suggest you do as Bob advises. There is a lot of discussion in the
group to read thru if you want to get into the whys. Otherwise just
accept the cure.

>"Bob Peel" <bob_peel@kiandra.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Try opening sample.mny and see what the M2005 version number is. It needs
>> to be 14.*.*.1105. If it is not you are missing the vital download patch.
>>
>> Bob Peel
>>
>> "RichT" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to open a four-month old money file, which was on my backup
>>> disk. It is a *.mny file, not a backup file. It was created using the
>>> same version of Money (2005) which I still use.
>>>
>>> When I start MS MONEY and try open my old data file, it tells my that it
>>> wants convert my file so it works with this version. (Not sure why as the
>>> file was created in this version of MS Money). Then when I try and carry
>>> out the conversion it gives the following error message.
>>>
>>> "Money cannot locate xxxx or cannot open it, possibly because it is a
>>> read-only file or you do not have permisson to change it or the drive is
>>> write protected.
>>>
>>> If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will
>>> need to click OK and open your most recent back up. etc"
>>>
>>> The file is not read only and the drive is not write protected and the
>>> back up files give me the same errors and I am an administrator on this
>>> machine.
>>>
>>> Any advice on solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks

0
Cal
> In microsoft.public.money, RichT wrote:
>
>>I am using exactly the same version of money that was used to create the
>>file a few months ago.
>
> I suggest you do as Bob advises. There is a lot of discussion in the
> group to read thru if you want to get into the whys. Otherwise just
> accept the cure.

OK, did so, and am using 14.01.120.1105

0
RichT
12/25/2009 6:15:03 PM
And what operating system? Where (file path) is the file you are trying to
open? And when did it last work? And what's changed since then?

> "Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message
>> In microsoft.public.money, RichT wrote:
>>
>>>I am using exactly the same version of money that was used to create the
>>>file a few months ago.
>>
>> I suggest you do as Bob advises. There is a lot of discussion in the
>> group to read thru if you want to get into the whys. Otherwise just
>> accept the cure.
>

> OK, did so, and am using 14.01.120.1105

0
Dick
message news:u015OKZhKHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> And what operating system? Where (file path) is the file you are trying to
> open? And when did it last work? And what's changed since then?

XP. File path is the same as my "regular" money file, which has a problem
with a rogue bill. I moved the old copy (about four months old) into the
same folder as my current file. Nothing has changed on my OS or Money
installation since the old copy was created.

0
RichT
12/26/2009 10:27:01 AM
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:27:01 +0100, "RichT" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in
>message news:u015OKZhKHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> And what operating system? Where (file path) is the file you are trying to
>> open? And when did it last work? And what's changed since then?
>

>XP. File path is the same as my "regular" money file, which has a problem
>with a rogue bill. I moved the old copy (about four months old) into the
>same folder as my current file. Nothing has changed on my OS or Money
>installation since the old copy was created.

You have not installed any of the security updates in months?!  You
have not updated your virus checker in months?!

Have you tried to access the old copy in its original folder (in case
folder properties are part of the problem)?  Do you have a backup up
the old copy that was created near the time you stopped using it (in
case it became corrupted while it was idle)?

--
Remove del for email
0

0
RichT
12/27/2009 2:02:47 PM
"Bob Peel" wrote:
> Try opening sample.mny and see what the M2005 version number is. It needs to
> be 14.*.*.1105. If it is not you are missing the vital download patch.
>
> Bob Peel

Great tip - thanks Bob.
I had exactly this problem after doing a system upgrade from XP to Windows
7. I had to reinstall all my software and Money couldn't read my financial
files (which were going back to 1996) - GULP!
Why Money doesn't make the patch upgrade as soon as started only Microsoft
knows. However, as soon as one tries to open the sample file the program
indicates an updae is required and loads it. After this completed I was able
to open my own financial files just as per normal.
Thanks again.
In microsoft.public.money, John Kennedy <John
Kennedy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Bob Peel" wrote:
>> Try opening sample.mny and see what the M2005 version number is. It needs to
>> be 14.*.*.1105. If it is not you are missing the vital download patch.
>>
>> Bob Peel
>
>Great tip - thanks Bob.
>I had exactly this problem after doing a system upgrade from XP to Windows
>7. I had to reinstall all my software and Money couldn't read my financial
>files (which were going back to 1996) - GULP!
>Why Money doesn't make the patch upgrade as soon as started only Microsoft
>knows. However, as soon as one tries to open the sample file the program
>indicates an updae is required and loads it. After this completed I was able
>to open my own financial files just as per normal.

That ability to get the updates from Microsoft will go away. To
prepare for that, consider the procedure described in
http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx for a method of
making a self-contained disk for reinstall of Money 2005 with the
updates in place.
0
Cal

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

Trying to remove the last Exchange 5.5 server from my site
I ran the exchange administrator from my 2003 exchange server and tried to delete the 5.5 server. I get an error message: "Extension 'MSFB' could not be loaded". Has anyone seen this? Thanks, Rusty http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822450&Product=ech E "Rusty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:367e01c3aa25$d8731b40$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I ran the exchange administrator from my 2003 exchange > server and tried to delete the 5.5 server. I get an error > message: "Extension 'MSFB'...

calendar problem

format of emailed excel file
In excel 2003 when I email a a particulat worksheet in a workbook I lose all the formating when it is recieved in Outlook 2003. Is there anyway to preserve the excel "look"? Thnaks, Craig S ...

problem #4

Show file location in title bar?
Is there a way to make Excel or Word show the location of a file in the title bar. Right now, it just shows the name of the file. I was thinking in 2003, it showed the file location, or perhaps there was an option to show it? I can't find the same thing in 2007 and it would be extremely helpful to have it! I use template files with the same name (for easy searching) but save in different client folders, which is why I want it to display the full path. Otherwise, I wouldn't care. Thanks!! Add "Document Location" to the QAT. You'll find it in the "Com...

95 and 97 problem

Money 2006 not starting after signing process
Since yesterday (08-24-06) I am unbale to get into my Money 2006; it starts and asks for my e-mail and password in the 'Sign in to open your Money file' but after this a 'Microsoft Money Error Reporting' message shows stating an internal error and will have to restart the 'Error signature' shows: "AppName: msmoney.exe AppVer: 15.0.0.513 ModName: unknown ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00000000" and a techical information file (C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\fdr2168.fdr) about the error report can be viewed. I will appreciate your help.... I need to check and p...

Date problem

sync problems

error opening Outlook #4
I just installed Office XP standard onto a new Sony laptop running XP Pro. All other Office programs work fine except for Outlook. When Outlook opens it stays open for just a few seconds and then closes. Next time I try to open it I get a "safe mode" message but it still does not open. I have installed, unistalled and reinstalled. I have booted and rebooted. Your thoughts? Try a new mail profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. Af...

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Outlook won't open after reinstalling it after installing Windows
My computer crashed. I installed Windows 7, and then reinstalled Office 2007. Outlook will not open. Any suggestions? Margye Hixson Suggest providing information. Include what you did, what happened and any and all error messages. Be detailed as if we weren't there and don't know what happened. -- Russ Valentine "Margye" <Margye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F85CAAC-2042-4CAB-A329-EF6B3A682189@microsoft.com... > My computer crashed. I installed Windows 7, and then reinstalled Office > 2007. > Outlook will not open....

Software of scripting to grab data from MS word file and fill in Excel fields?
I have a 90 page financial report from MS word that I get each month. I would like to find a software package or scripting tool that will allow me to automate the process of grabbing #s from the ms word file and filling in fields in an excel file. I have a feel that there may be quite of programming involved in doing this. But perhaps there are some more efficient solutions out there. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks Hi, Do the numbers appear in the same part of the word document each tim (eg always in the same row/column of the same table). If so, copyin the data into excel should be ...

Cell Format

Adjusting Opening Balance
Hi After we ran year-end process in GL module (GP 8.0), we realized that one account was incorrectly marked as posting type=balance sheet instead of Profit and Loss. The account now has an opening balance for the transaction posted in the previous year. How can I adjust the Opening Balance to show $0.00? Thanks KB Article # 864913 on CustomerSource goes through the steps to fix this in some detail. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "Lak_Sobti" <LakSobti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65BB6EEE-89C5-4CCF-8315-6CB90AB808CF@mi...