Problem Changing an Investment Name

I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.

0
krlorenz (43)
5/25/2006 12:14:14 PM
money 28651 articles. 3 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:

>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.

Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.

You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.

Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
transaction.

Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
NoMailTnx (131)
5/25/2006 12:31:22 PM
I assume what it's saying, "The name or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has
already been used for a deleted investment.  Please enter a different name",
is true.

Bring the investment back from the twilight zone of Money Investment
deletion by entering a dividend for it in some investment account. You can
just type out the name 'TRP Spectrum Income' or use the symbol you once
defined for it.

Now it will show up in Work With Investments.

Change its name to something obscure like 'ZZZ deleted #1' and blank out its
symbol.

Delete the bogus dividend.

"Delete" the investment--though an Investment in Money is never truly
deleted, as you have just discovered.

Get on with life.

"Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.

I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name change
is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying to
do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake dividend
transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever existed!
What am I missing?

"Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message
> In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:
>
>>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.
>
> Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
> Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.
>
> You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.
>
> Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
> you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
> something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
> transaction.
>
> Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
> re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
krlorenz (43)
5/25/2006 6:09:03 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:

>I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name change
>is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
>active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying to
>do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake dividend
>transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever existed!

Pretend it did, and try to create that fake dividend using the
drop-down list to select the security.

>What am I missing?

OK. I was thinking you were trying to create a new investment . So
the symbol on the existing investment that you know about is OK
already, and you just want to change the name of the investment. Try
the fake dividend thing.

>"Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message
>> In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>>>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>>>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>>>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>>>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>>>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.
>>
>> Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
>> Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.
>>
>> You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.
>>
>> Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
>> you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
>> something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
>> transaction.
>>
>> Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
>> re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
NoMailTnx (131)
5/25/2006 6:17:30 PM
I'm missing something.

Are you trying to create a new investment called "TRP Spectrum Income" that
is in addition to one you already have, with a different symbol, named "TRP
Spectrum"?

I thought you were trying to change the name of an Investment--and were
running into the name of another Investment that existed at one time--not
create a new one.

> I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name
change
> is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
> active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying
> do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake dividend
> transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever
existed!
> What am I missing?

The investment "TRP Spectrum Income" does not show up in the drop down list
of investments when I try to enter a dividend.  If I type "TRP Spectrum
Income" in the name Money tries to create a new investment!!  Obviously,
this won't work because it will have the same symbol as the investment I'm
trying to rename!!!  It's a minor problem but.... it sure ain't right.  I
renamed the investment to "TRP Spectrum Inc" and gave into the Money gods.
I guess one of these days I'll have to start a new Money file since I have
been using this one since Money first came out and there must be some
baggage it can't handle?!

> In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:
>
>>I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name
>>change
>>is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
>>active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying
>>do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake dividend
>>transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever
>>existed!
>
> Pretend it did, and try to create that fake dividend using the
> drop-down list to select the security.
>
>>What am I missing?
>
> OK. I was thinking you were trying to create a new investment . So
> the symbol on the existing investment that you know about is OK
> already, and you just want to change the name of the investment. Try
> the fake dividend thing.
>

>>"Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message

>>> Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
>>> Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.
>>>
>>> You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.
>>>
>>> Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
>>> you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
>>> something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
>>> transaction.
>>>
>>> Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
>>> re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
krlorenz (43)
5/25/2006 10:14:29 PM
I am just trying to change the name of an existing Investment.  When I try
to enter a dividend "TRP Spectrum" does not appear in the investment drop
down list - so I can't bring it back to life to delete.  See my response
above to Cal Learner.

message news:OIjExcEgGHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> I'm missing something.
>
> Are you trying to create a new investment called "TRP Spectrum Income"
> that
> is in addition to one you already have, with a different symbol, named
> "TRP
> Spectrum"?
>
> I thought you were trying to change the name of an Investment--and were
> running into the name of another Investment that existed at one time--not
> create a new one.
>
> "Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name
> change
>> is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
>> active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying
>> do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake
>> dividend
>> transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever
> existed!
>> What am I missing?

0
krlorenz (43)
5/26/2006 9:59:26 AM
I've come full circle.

You were trying to change the name of an Investment "TRP Spectrum" to "TRP
Spectrum Income".

I had previously understood you to say that Money wasn't letting you do this
because it says that it already knows about an Investment named "TRP
Spectrum Income".

You said you "cannot post a fake dividend transaction to "TRP Spectrum
Income" because [you] don't think it ever existed!" I would think this was
an assertion that Money was trying to disprove, until you also said that
when you type this name in for an Investment, Money comes up with the dialog
to create a new investment. I would agree this is odd.

What I would try, in a COPY of the data file, is to go ahead and create the
"new" (but can't be renamed to) Investment "TRP Spectrum Income". Once
created, I'd rename it to something "out of the way" as posted previously.
Then I'd try renaming "TRP Spectrum" to "TRP Spectrum Income".

> I am just trying to change the name of an existing Investment.  When I try
> to enter a dividend "TRP Spectrum" does not appear in the investment drop
> down list - so I can't bring it back to life to delete.  See my response
> above to Cal Learner.

If anybody cares.... I was able to "fix" the problem by:
1.  Add a new investment with the name "TRP Spectrum Income".
2.  Give it a Stock Symbol of "XXXXX"
3.  Buy "0" shares of XXXXX
3.  Add a $10 Dividend
4.  Change the name to "TRP Spectrum XXXXX"
5.  Delete the Dividend
6.  Delete the Buy entry
7.  Delete the Investment "TRP Spectrum XXXXX"
8.  Change the Name of the active investment to "TRP Spectrum Income"
9.  Success!!  Problem solved?
Maybe that is what you were telling me to do all along and I just did not
understand the directions.  Anyway thanks all.

"Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message
> In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:
>
>>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.
>
> Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
> Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.
>
> You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.
>
> Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
> you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
> something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
> transaction.
>
> Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
> re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
krlorenz (43)
5/27/2006 11:35:08 AM
More or less. The odd thing about your case is Money thinking the name has
already been used for the case of renaming an existing investment but not
for the case of creating a new investment.

> Maybe that is what you were telling me to do all along and I just did not
> understand the directions.

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

change a reference variable
Hi, After the following statements, can I change i to be a reference to k? Thanks. Tony int j, k; ... int& i = j; // make i to be a reference to j >After the following statements, can I change i to be a reference to k? Yes. int j, k; j = 0; k = 1; int& i = j; // i now refers to j (0) i = k; // i now refers to k (1) Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq >>After the following statements, can I change i to be a reference to k? > >Yes. What am I talking about? A reference can't be changed - only initialised. Scrub my stupid last reply. Dave -- ...

problem #4

Need to change Autofilters behaviour in Excel 2003
Hello, Does anybody knows how to change the color of the triangle arrow on the column titles of autofilter ranges? Presently, when a filter is put on one column, the arrow for this column is changed from black to very dark blue. I need to change this color, so that this becomes more visible. At our office, my boss cannot make any difference between these two colors. This is a problem for daily work. Thanks in advance for any help. Bertrand from Tokyo, Japan see response to your earlier posting -- Regards Roger Govier Bertrand wrote: > Hello, > > Does any...

95 and 97 problem

Changing format of number without changing the value
How do I add the % sign to a existing number without changing the value? Example: 1.68 should show 1.68% not 168? Select the cell & press Ctrl-1 Navigate to the Number tab Select Custom in the left hand panel In the Type edit box enter 0.00"%" Click on OK "sweetsue516" wrote: > How do I add the % sign to a existing number without changing the value? > Example: 1.68 should show 1.68% not 168? Sue, Percentage-formatted cells are based on 1 for 100%. It's only when you key in the percentage that it's converted, for example you key 1.68%, and it...

Date problem

sync problems

change chart print size
I cannot change the size of the printed chart in office 2007. In 2003 it was done using un selecting the "fit to page" button. In 2007 I have a "scale to 100%" but disabled... Thanks Hi, When you say you are clicking the Fit to Page button do you mean the Option button on the first sheet of the Page Setup dialog box? If so this option is still available in 2007. Set the print range and then choose the Page Layout tab. Open the Width dropdown or the Height dropdown and choose the number of pages. If this is not enough there is a little dialog box launcher at the b...

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

Naming a Chart
Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA states that naming an object requires selecting the object (such as a chart), typing the new name in the Name Box, and pressing Enter. This does work for a shape but not a chart. When I select a chart and attempt to enter anything in the Name Box, any entry is not enabled and therefore nothing happens. How can I assign a name to a chart??? Hold the Shift key (or the Ctrl key), and click on the chart to select it. Then, type a name in the Name Box, and press the Enter key. William Bartusek wrote: > Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA states tha...

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

Publishing charts
We are using Excel to manipulate some real time data then publish the updated results every 15 minutes to the Internet. I am publishing charts using Excel's Save as Web Page feature, but then only want to use the images of the charts as an included image in the actual web pages. The images end up with names like "xyz_89654_image001.gif". The "image001.gif" part I don't have a problem with - as long as there is only one image in each subdirectory, that will be it, and the xyz comes from the workbook name. It's the number in the middle that I have real prob...