problem accessing file

recently i made updates to my microsoft money file.  After updating the file,
i exited money, without backing up the file (bad idea).  Once I exited, i
changed the filename in windows explorer (using rename command).  When i
attempted to open the file again, money gave the following message: "Money
will update your file with the latest improvements."  In other words, it
treated like a file from an old/different version of money.  Then it said
"Money cannot locate 'My Documents\my money 040809.mny' or cannot open it,
possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to
change it or your disk drive is write protected.  If you have chosen the
correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open
your most recent backup file.  If the file is being used by another
aplication, close it in the other application and click OK to try again."
Most of that verbiage is absolutely useless.  All i did was change the
filename.  So far nothing i've tried seems to help as far as me being able to
open the file.  anyone has any sugestions?
--
-dino-
0

All different ways I could think of, including navigating to the renamed file
with WE and double clicking on the filename.  every approach I used came up
with same results.
--
-dino-

"Bob Peel,MVP" wrote:

> How did you open Money after you renamed the file? The best way is to
> navigate to the renamed file with WE and double click on the file name.

> Regards
> Bob Peel,
> Microsoft MVP - Money
>
> For unofficial FAQs see
> http://money.mvps.org/
> or
> http://umpmfaq.info/
>
> I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for.
>

> "dino1" <dino1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > recently i made updates to my microsoft money file.  After updating the
> > file,
> > i exited money, without backing up the file (bad idea).  Once I exited, i
> > changed the filename in windows explorer (using rename command).  When i
> > attempted to open the file again, money gave the following message: "Money
> > will update your file with the latest improvements."  In other words, it
> > treated like a file from an old/different version of money.  Then it said
> > "Money cannot locate 'My Documents\my money 040809.mny' or cannot open it,
> > possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to
> > change it or your disk drive is write protected.  If you have chosen the
> > correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open
> > your most recent backup file.  If the file is being used by another
> > aplication, close it in the other application and click OK to try again."
> > Most of that verbiage is absolutely useless.  All i did was change the
> > filename.  So far nothing i've tried seems to help as far as me being able
> > open the file.  anyone has any sugestions?
> > --
> > -dino-

0
dino11 (8)
4/14/2009 1:02:04 PM
In microsoft.public.money, dino1 wrote:

>All different ways I could think of, including navigating to the renamed file
>with WE and double clicking on the filename.  every approach I used came up
>with same results.

Open Sample.mny from your install folder. What is your version from
Help->About?   14.0.120.1105?
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
4/14/2009 1:23:57 PM
I am able to open the sample data file as well as one of my previous data
files from a few months ago.  the version is 14.0.100.1105.
--
-dino-

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, dino1 wrote:
>
> >All different ways I could think of, including navigating to the renamed file
> >with WE and double clicking on the filename.  every approach I used came up
> >with same results.
>
> Open Sample.mny from your install folder. What is your version from
> Help->About?   14.0.120.1105?

0
dino11 (8)
4/14/2009 2:54:02 PM
In microsoft.public.money, dino1 wrote:

>I am able to open the sample data file as well as one of my previous data
>files from a few months ago.  the version is 14.0.100.1105.

In that case, see if salv.exe can make a repaired version of your
*.mny file.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466
You can even use the method described for Microsoft Money 2003,
which will give you a slightly newer repair version.

If that does not fix it, be glad you have the backup from a few
months ago. I am sure you have already reviewed your backup
policies.
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
4/14/2009 9:24:13 PM
Is salv.exe the same program (File>Repair Money File) that is run from within
money?  If so, I already attempted that with no success.  I will look into
the support file you referenced.   A question...why would changing the
filename create the problem I'm experiencing?
--
-dino-

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, dino1 wrote:
>
> >I am able to open the sample data file as well as one of my previous data
> >files from a few months ago.  the version is 14.0.100.1105.
>
> In that case, see if salv.exe can make a repaired version of your
> *.mny file.
>
> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466
> You can even use the method described for Microsoft Money 2003,
> which will give you a slightly newer repair version.
>
> If that does not fix it, be glad you have the backup from a few
> months ago. I am sure you have already reviewed your backup
> policies.

0
dino11 (8)
4/15/2009 12:10:01 AM
In microsoft.public.money, dino1 wrote:

>Is salv.exe the same program (File>Repair Money File) that is run from within
>money?  If so, I already attempted that with no success.  I will look into
>the support file you referenced.

yes... but, there is a tiny chance that the Money 2006 version of
salv.exe might be better than the Money 2005 version for you.

> A question...why would changing the
>filename create the problem I'm experiencing?

I have no idea why that would happen. I was just thinking in terms
of some general corruption of a file. Renaming a file should not do
that.

Maybe you should search your hard drive for other *.mny files in
case things got confused somehow.

I don't see the probability that you will recover anything but your
old file that is working. But checking for the improbable seems
worth a try. Otherwise, just start catching up your working file as
best you can.
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
4/15/2009 1:46:05 AM
In microsoft.public.money, dino1 wrote:

>recently i made updates to my microsoft money file.  After updating the file,
>i exited money, without backing up the file (bad idea).  Once I exited, i
>changed the filename in windows explorer (using rename command).  When i
>attempted to open the file again, money gave the following message: "Money
>will update your file with the latest improvements."  In other words, it
>treated like a file from an old/different version of money.  Then it said
>"Money cannot locate 'My Documents\my money 040809.mny' or cannot open it,
>possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to
>change it or your disk drive is write protected.  If you have chosen the
>correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open
>your most recent backup file.  If the file is being used by another
>aplication, close it in the other application and click OK to try again."
>Most of that verbiage is absolutely useless.  All i did was change the
>filename.  So far nothing i've tried seems to help as far as me being able to
>open the file.  anyone has any sugestions?

Let's go back. Running XP? Close Money. Try *copying* that file to a
new name.  Right-click the file and choose Properties. On the
General tab, make sure Read-only is not ticked. Right-click the file
and choose Open.

0
via_newsgroup (13113)
4/15/2009 3:11:54 AM
Since I have had so many problems, i want to make sure i follow your
recommendations exactly.  How do i *copy* file to new filename in XP?  When i
think of *copy*, it is a copy/paste combo.  The paste is to the same
filename, then do a rename.  The rename is what got me in this position to
start with.  Just wanted to confirm before i do the operation; you're
tallking about copy and paste?  Thanks your help.
--
-dino-

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, dino1 wrote:
>
> >recently i made updates to my microsoft money file.  After updating the file,
> >i exited money, without backing up the file (bad idea).  Once I exited, i
> >changed the filename in windows explorer (using rename command).  When i
> >attempted to open the file again, money gave the following message: "Money
> >will update your file with the latest improvements."  In other words, it
> >treated like a file from an old/different version of money.  Then it said
> >"Money cannot locate 'My Documents\my money 040809.mny' or cannot open it,
> >possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to
> >change it or your disk drive is write protected.  If you have chosen the
> >correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open
> >your most recent backup file.  If the file is being used by another
> >aplication, close it in the other application and click OK to try again."
> >Most of that verbiage is absolutely useless.  All i did was change the
> >filename.  So far nothing i've tried seems to help as far as me being able to
> >open the file.  anyone has any sugestions?
>
> Let's go back. Running XP? Close Money. Try *copying* that file to a
> new name.  Right-click the file and choose Properties. On the
> General tab, make sure Read-only is not ticked. Right-click the file
> and choose Open.

0
dino11 (8)
4/15/2009 4:46:00 AM
Problem solved!  While waiting for your post, i tried something different.
From inside Money, i went to "Restore Backup" command, selected "Restore from
a backup file" option, and clicked "Next", then selected "Let me browse for a
different backup file", and selected "Next".  Then when it opened the dialog
window with a number of files, i hovered the mouse arrow over the file, and a
temporary window is displayed that shows the file type.  Through this
process,  i was able to see "backup" file types that were NOT displayed as
such through Windows Explorer.  Once I tried to restore several of these
files, about the 4th time around, I was able to restore a copy of the file
that I had lost.  Thanks for your working with me on this matter.  I just was
able to recover about two months worth of work.  You can believe I'm
definitely going to make a backup of this file.

-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, dino1 wrote:
>
> >recently i made updates to my microsoft money file.  After updating the file,
> >i exited money, without backing up the file (bad idea).  Once I exited, i
> >changed the filename in windows explorer (using rename command).  When i
> >attempted to open the file again, money gave the following message: "Money
> >will update your file with the latest improvements."  In other words, it
> >treated like a file from an old/different version of money.  Then it said
> >"Money cannot locate 'My Documents\my money 040809.mny' or cannot open it,
> >possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to
> >change it or your disk drive is write protected.  If you have chosen the
> >correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open
> >your most recent backup file.  If the file is being used by another
> >aplication, close it in the other application and click OK to try again."
> >Most of that verbiage is absolutely useless.  All i did was change the
> >filename.  So far nothing i've tried seems to help as far as me being able to
> >open the file.  anyone has any sugestions?
>
> Let's go back. Running XP? Close Money. Try *copying* that file to a
> new name.  Right-click the file and choose Properties. On the
> General tab, make sure Read-only is not ticked. Right-click the file
> and choose Open.

0
dino11 (8)
4/15/2009 5:15:01 AM
In microsoft.public.money, dino1 wrote:

>Since I have had so many problems, i want to make sure i follow your
>recommendations exactly.  How do i *copy* file to new filename in XP?  When i
>think of *copy*, it is a copy/paste combo.  The paste is to the same
>filename, then do a rename.  The rename is what got me in this position to
>start with.  Just wanted to confirm before i do the operation; you're
>tallking about copy and paste?  Thanks your help.

Copy and paste in Windows Explorer is one way.

In a command window, you can also do a command such as the following
line:
 copy oldfile.mny newfile.mny

No rename involved.

In your command window, you could follow up with

 attrib -r newfile.mny

to make sure it is not read-only.

0
via_newsgroup (13113)
4/15/2009 5:24:02 AM
In microsoft.public.money, dino1 wrote:

>Problem solved!  While waiting for your post, i tried something different.
>From inside Money, i went to "Restore Backup" command, selected "Restore from
>a backup file" option, and clicked "Next", then selected "Let me browse for a
>different backup file", and selected "Next".  Then when it opened the dialog
>window with a number of files, i hovered the mouse arrow over the file, and a
>temporary window is displayed that shows the file type.  Through this
>process,  i was able to see "backup" file types that were NOT displayed as
>such through Windows Explorer.  Once I tried to restore several of these
>files, about the 4th time around, I was able to restore a copy of the file
>that I had lost.  Thanks for your working with me on this matter.  I just was
>able to recover about two months worth of work.  You can believe I'm
>definitely going to make a backup of this file.

Cool. Now, as you are planning your strategy, consider what a hard
drive crash would do. Include USB flash drive(s) in your plans.
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
4/15/2009 5:25:54 AM
Already there. :)  It's on my flash drive.
--
-dino-

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, dino1 wrote:
>
> >Problem solved!  While waiting for your post, i tried something different.
> >From inside Money, i went to "Restore Backup" command, selected "Restore from
> >a backup file" option, and clicked "Next", then selected "Let me browse for a
> >different backup file", and selected "Next".  Then when it opened the dialog
> >window with a number of files, i hovered the mouse arrow over the file, and a
> >temporary window is displayed that shows the file type.  Through this
> >process,  i was able to see "backup" file types that were NOT displayed as
> >such through Windows Explorer.  Once I tried to restore several of these
> >files, about the 4th time around, I was able to restore a copy of the file
> >that I had lost.  Thanks for your working with me on this matter.  I just was
> >able to recover about two months worth of work.  You can believe I'm
> >definitely going to make a backup of this file.
>
> Cool. Now, as you are planning your strategy, consider what a hard
> drive crash would do. Include USB flash drive(s) in your plans.

0
dino11 (8)
4/15/2009 5:34:11 AM
Hate to be a Jonah after your success story, but USB flash drives are not
forever. :-(

Think about burning a CD with a key copy of the file e.g. around tax time.

Also don't think that because you managed to do a USB backup it is OK. Try a
test restore from time to time!

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For unofficial FAQs see
http://money.mvps.org/
or
http://umpmfaq.info/

> Already there. :)  It's on my flash drive.
> --
> -dino-
>

> "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, dino1 wrote:
>>
>> >Problem solved!  While waiting for your post, i tried something
>> >different.
>> >From inside Money, i went to "Restore Backup" command, selected "Restore
>> >from
>> >a backup file" option, and clicked "Next", then selected "Let me browse
>> >for a
>> >different backup file", and selected "Next".  Then when it opened the
>> >dialog
>> >window with a number of files, i hovered the mouse arrow over the file,
>> >and a
>> >temporary window is displayed that shows the file type.  Through this
>> >process,  i was able to see "backup" file types that were NOT displayed
>> >as
>> >such through Windows Explorer.  Once I tried to restore several of these
>> >files, about the 4th time around, I was able to restore a copy of the
>> >file
>> >that I had lost.  Thanks for your working with me on this matter.  I
>> >just was
>> >able to recover about two months worth of work.  You can believe I'm
>> >definitely going to make a backup of this file.
>>
>> Cool. Now, as you are planning your strategy, consider what a hard
>> drive crash would do. Include USB flash drive(s) in your plans.

0
Bob_Peel (292)
4/15/2009 6:49:36 AM
Sage advice.  I will heed it.  Regarding a "key copy", what exactly do you
mean?
--
-dino-

"Bob Peel,MVP" wrote:

> Hate to be a Jonah after your success story, but USB flash drives are not
> forever. :-(
>
> Think about burning a CD with a key copy of the file e.g. around tax time.
>
> Also don't think that because you managed to do a USB backup it is OK. Try a
> test restore from time to time!
>
> --
> Regards
> Bob Peel,
> Microsoft MVP - Money
>
> For unofficial FAQs see
> http://money.mvps.org/
> or
> http://umpmfaq.info/
>
> I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for.
>

> "dino1" <dino1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Already there. :)  It's on my flash drive.
> > --
> > -dino-

> >> Cool. Now, as you are planning your strategy, consider what a hard
> >> drive crash would do. Include USB flash drive(s) in your plans.

0
dino11 (8)
4/15/2009 1:37:01 PM
My bad! I was trying to suggest that there might be a date when it was more
important to have a Money file that you can go back to, hence my suggestion
of taking a special copy. For example having a file that supports your tax
claim could be invaluable in case the IRS get stroppy!

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For unofficial FAQs see
http://money.mvps.org/
or
http://umpmfaq.info/

> Sage advice.  I will heed it.  Regarding a "key copy", what exactly do you
> mean?
> --
> -dino-
>

> "Bob Peel,MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hate to be a Jonah after your success story, but USB flash drives are not
>> forever. :-(
>>
>> Think about burning a CD with a key copy of the file e.g. around tax
>> time.
>>
>> Also don't think that because you managed to do a USB backup it is OK.
>> Try a
>> test restore from time to time!
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Bob Peel,
>> Microsoft MVP - Money
>>
>> For unofficial FAQs see
>> http://money.mvps.org/
>> or
>> http://umpmfaq.info/
>>
>> I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for.
>>

>> "dino1" <dino1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Already there. :)  It's on my flash drive.
>> > --
>> > -dino-

0
Bob_Peel (292)

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Access 97 executables and other versions of Access
I have a few questions regarding Access 97 and other versions of Access as we don't have time to develop .net versions of our Access 97 databases and some of our users are moving to other versions of Office/Access - I work for a local authority hence we tend to be very slow in moving to newer technology! We've tried converting our Access 97 databases (lots of front end forms) into Access 2000 but they fail and we don't want to install two versions of Access due to having our applications delivered via Novell to the user (PC's are locked down). Do we need to purchase...

Problem shortcuts in Word

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

format of emailed excel file
In excel 2003 when I email a a particulat worksheet in a workbook I lose all the formating when it is recieved in Outlook 2003. Is there anyway to preserve the excel "look"? Thnaks, Craig S ...

problem #4

Access denied when forwarding
When I am working remote using webmail, after being logged on and receiving mail...when I try and forward a mail message I get a "access denied" error When I am logged on as a MAPI client....everything works fine. Any ideas? Thanks, Jeff ...

how to write vb code in access 2007
Version: MSAccess 2007 I have 3 fields in my database that contain currency. Field 1: PrincipleAmount Field 2: AmountPaid Field 3: AmountDue I have added a Command Button (cmdCalc) to the form. I need to write code that Subtracts Field2 from Field1 and returns the Balance in Field 3. I have no idea on how to gain access to and how to write code in MSAccess 2007. I can do this in VB6. Thanking You in Anticipation Julian On 15 dec, 13:29, tjbvo <tj...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Version: MSAccess 2007 > > I have 3 fields in my database that conta...

Show file location in title bar?
Is there a way to make Excel or Word show the location of a file in the title bar. Right now, it just shows the name of the file. I was thinking in 2003, it showed the file location, or perhaps there was an option to show it? I can't find the same thing in 2007 and it would be extremely helpful to have it! I use template files with the same name (for easy searching) but save in different client folders, which is why I want it to display the full path. Otherwise, I wouldn't care. Thanks!! Add "Document Location" to the QAT. You'll find it in the "Com...

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Software of scripting to grab data from MS word file and fill in Excel fields?
I have a 90 page financial report from MS word that I get each month. I would like to find a software package or scripting tool that will allow me to automate the process of grabbing #s from the ms word file and filling in fields in an excel file. I have a feel that there may be quite of programming involved in doing this. But perhaps there are some more efficient solutions out there. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks Hi, Do the numbers appear in the same part of the word document each tim (eg always in the same row/column of the same table). If so, copyin the data into excel should be ...

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting