Posting negative 401k transactions

I have a typical 401k account setup with a corresponding cash account.  I
am manually balancing my account at the end of the quarter.  In other
words, I'm not using the 401k manager or "balance an account" wizard.  In
my investment account, I want to buy x shares of a stock for the quarter,
however the final market value decreased for the account.  Normally, a
stock that increased for the quarter would show as a payment in the cash
account.  I want to show this as a deposit.

If you use the balance an account wizard, it will somehow place a negative
price so that it shows up as a deposit in the cash account.  However, when
I try to do this manually from the investment account, I can't put a
negative value for the price in.  I have also tried to create a deposit
from the cash account, and it defaults to a "withdrawl" after I hit enter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

0
rgb21 (6)
11/30/2003 5:14:43 AM
money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

Hmmm. What I do is post the purchases from the
Contributions accounts on the day of payment (paydays).
The 401(k)s I'm managing with MS Money all have real-time
web access so I can get the actual price I paid for the
investments.

If you only get quarterly statements, and will not use the
401(k) manager, I would just use the add shares activity,
then update prices manually. Of course, you get no cost
basis information using this method, so your ROI is
incorrect.
0
anonymous (74719)
11/30/2003 6:53:23 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Bob Becnel wrote:

>I have a typical 401k account setup with a corresponding cash account.  I
>am manually balancing my account at the end of the quarter.  In other
>words, I'm not using the 401k manager or "balance an account" wizard.  In
>my investment account, I want to buy x shares of a stock for the quarter,
>however the final market value decreased for the account.  Normally, a
>stock that increased for the quarter would show as a payment in the cash
>account.  I want to show this as a deposit.

I did not understand those last two sentences.

>If you use the balance an account wizard, it will somehow place a negative
>price so that it shows up as a deposit in the cash account.  However, when
>I try to do this manually from the investment account, I can't put a
>negative value for the price in.  I have also tried to create a deposit
>from the cash account, and it defaults to a "withdrawl" after I hit enter.
>
>Any suggestions?

I would handle the loss of value by changing the price for the
stock. Go to the stock details and
UpdatePrices->UpdatePricesManually.

0
via_newsgroup (13113)