Posting negative 401k transactions

I have a typical 401k account setup with a corresponding cash account.  I
am manually balancing my account at the end of the quarter.  In other
words, I'm not using the 401k manager or "balance an account" wizard.  In
my investment account, I want to buy x shares of a stock for the quarter,
however the final market value decreased for the account.  Normally, a
stock that increased for the quarter would show as a payment in the cash
account.  I want to show this as a deposit.

If you use the balance an account wizard, it will somehow place a negative
price so that it shows up as a deposit in the cash account.  However, when
I try to do this manually from the investment account, I can't put a
negative value for the price in.  I have also tried to create a deposit
from the cash account, and it defaults to a "withdrawl" after I hit enter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

0
rgb21 (6)
11/30/2003 5:14:43 AM
money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

Hmmm. What I do is post the purchases from the
Contributions accounts on the day of payment (paydays).
The 401(k)s I'm managing with MS Money all have real-time
web access so I can get the actual price I paid for the
investments.

If you only get quarterly statements, and will not use the
401(k) manager, I would just use the add shares activity,
then update prices manually. Of course, you get no cost
basis information using this method, so your ROI is
incorrect.
0
anonymous (74725)
11/30/2003 6:53:23 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Bob Becnel wrote:

>I have a typical 401k account setup with a corresponding cash account.  I
>am manually balancing my account at the end of the quarter.  In other
>words, I'm not using the 401k manager or "balance an account" wizard.  In
>my investment account, I want to buy x shares of a stock for the quarter,
>however the final market value decreased for the account.  Normally, a
>stock that increased for the quarter would show as a payment in the cash
>account.  I want to show this as a deposit.

I did not understand those last two sentences.

>If you use the balance an account wizard, it will somehow place a negative
>price so that it shows up as a deposit in the cash account.  However, when
>I try to do this manually from the investment account, I can't put a
>negative value for the price in.  I have also tried to create a deposit
>from the cash account, and it defaults to a "withdrawl" after I hit enter.
>
>Any suggestions?

I would handle the loss of value by changing the price for the
stock. Go to the stock details and
UpdatePrices->UpdatePricesManually.

0
via_newsgroup (13115)

cleared transactions change to reconciled
I am using Money 2003 Standard. The "Tools/Options/Online Services/Automatically mark downloaded transactions" box is not checked. I mark a transaction as 'cleared', close Money, and shut down. The next time I open Money, all 'cleared' transactions are marked as 'reconciled'. Any suggfestions? Thanks in advance! ...

Posting old bills
I am setting up Money 2006 to tract income and expenses for a rental property, but I need to back date it to 1/1/2007. How do I enter bills and deposits made in the past? Thanks Go to the account register and enter the manually. Just click on the next blank transaction and go to town. You may want to make sure you are using Advanced Register. If there are subsequent transactions already in these accounts and you have balanced the accounts to statements--as though these transactions were already entered--then you will have to adjust account beginning balances and/or Account Adjustment...

* OWA... (Third Post)
Microsoft? If you're concerned about security then you should respond to this question. We cannot make this OWA server available on the Internet without applying the latest SP and critical updates. =========================== Our OWA Exchange 5.5 server (Windows NT Server) recently died and we replaced it with a Windows 2000 Server. We installed Exchange 5.5 OWA then applied Exchange SP4. Everything was working until we apply Windows 2000 SP4. Everytime we logon we get "OWA was unable to get to your inbox" error. As soon as we un-installed Windows 2000 SP4, OWA wo...

Bank transactions download to wrong account
I have 5 accounts setup in MS Money, all for the same bank. (Charter One). I download transactions all the time for 4 of the accounts with no problem. However, there's one account that always downloads into the wrong account in MS Money. The transactions for that account always download to the first account in my "Bank Accounts" list in Money. If I rename the accounts to change the order, the transactions download to whichever account comes first alphabetically. I've had this problem with prior verions of Money, and was hoping the latest version would magi...

To the sender of the MI5 posts
I am not sure if you read responses or (like most other spammers) just see the web as a place where you are free to say whatever you want without fear of contradiction. Who knows? Either way - this section of this site is site is specifically here so that anyone with a comment, question, point to rise, etc regarding access databases can post with the knowledge that other likeminded people may read their post. It is not here as a general forum to discuss other matters. I have no doubt that if you are blocked from posting you will see this as yet another indication that MI5 is after yo...

Post to GL
Hello I am having a problem with a setting within Great Plains 8.0 service pack 2. I have posting setup to only allow posting from the batch level for Inventory. But when you go into Inventory Batches the check box for post to gl is not marked. If I have it setup in posting to post to the gl shouldn't this check box be marked in inventory batches? -- Thanks, Brian Apples and oranges. The post to GL checkbox on the inventory batch window tells the system whether an IV transaction will post at all. The posting settings in tools --> setup --> posting tell the system w...

Change positive number to negative number
Hi, I've searched this board and have tried a few things, no luck yet. I have about 100 rows, in columns A and B there is descriptive text. In column C it is either blank or it contains the text "CR". In column D there is a value (number with 2 decimal places). Column E is blank and available to use for the formula. If there is "CR" in column C, then the value in Column D must be displayed as a negative number. If "CR" doesn't exist then the number should be left positive. How can I do this? I've been working with the ABS and I...

eConnect needs to support Manufacturing Transactions
Our client would like eConnect to support the manufacturing transactions available withing the manufacturing module. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=db26359...

What's the difference between Cross-posting and Multi-posting
And thanks for the discussion earlier... although the rudeness was unneeded. Sign me, A New User (and learning from you all) rochgal, you wrote on Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:53:03 -0700: > What's the difference between Cross-posting and Multi-posting Cross-posting = You send one posting to several newsgroups. Multi-posting = You send several postings (with the same content) to several newsgroups. -- Best Regards Christian Goeller Some misspellings, grammatical or linguistical mistakes found? All corrections would be appreciated! ...

Intrastat posting issue
We are a UK company using intrastat. At the moment we cannot post invoices directly (thru) to the General ledger because we are getting an error saying that the 'intratsat information is missing'. When we click on an invoice that won't post in the Sales Transaction Entry screen, and click on the blue EC flag box, all the intrastat data is there and correct. Then when we post it goes through to the GL correctly. It seems that it will only post to the GL if every single line is checked (via the Blue EC flag) on the sales invoice regardless of the fact that all the date is alr...

Access 2002 bug: "dynamic" forms problem
There was no respond to my original post in microsoft.public.access.forms (May 5th 2007) about a fortnight so I try it here... ��������������������������������� A while ago we had a discussion about A2002 (sub)form which changes dynamically from code (hide/unhide controls, change subfom's width, etc.). There's a problem if I make some changes in code when the form is open: if I save changes, A2002 saves controls positions & subform's size as well. This is a BIG A2002 BUG and it's really annoying. Why Access forms don't behave as Visual Basic forms? I don't want Acc...

Non-MDA Transactions in an MDA Integration
We are running an integration that includes both MDA and non-MDA transactions using IM in GP 10.0. We are receiving errors that MDA information is required. If we fill in the MDA fields for the non-MDA transactions with bogus information, it will integrate perfectly without tossing up the error (and without integrating the bogus MDA data). We've tried the 'if NULL, use blank' in the Rule Properties for MDA, but that doesn't work. Would someone know what we are doing wrong? Our current setup works like a charm in IM for GP 7.5 without this error. Thank you, Lisa Ha...

Replace all negatives in a column with zero
Hi, I need to replace all negatives in a column with zero. I'm running into a problem because one, not all numbers in that column are negative, and two, I already have functions that have to stay in the cells. Is there anything that I can do with formatting or can I have more than one function in a cell...and if so, what function? Thanks!!! -- Laura@Gage Give us an example of the functions you have in the cells. The functions or formulas from 3 consecutive cells should help us know if this is to be easy or not. Example, if your formula is simply able to be copied down, but prod...

Exclude transactions from download
My bank shows both debit authorizations (or "debit card holds") and actual debit purchases in the account activity which gets downloaded into Money. Is there a way to filter which items appear in the register in Money (for example, filter out transactions labeled "debit authorization" but accepting those labeled "debit purchases". I'm using the essential register? In microsoft.public.money, justme wrote: >My bank shows both debit authorizations (or "debit card holds") and actual >debit purchases in the account activity which gets downloa...

where is my post??
twice now I have typed up my post & sent it. So where is it? On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:41:36 -0700, Stapes <steve.staple@gmail.com> wrote: >twice now I have typed up my post & sent it. So where is it? On Google Groups: 1184773041.958329.270430@e16g2000pri.googlegroups.com Google's been having some problems lately, maybe it's temporarily unavailable. John W. Vinson [MVP] You mean the multiple posts with subject "Cancel = true"? I see 3 of them, and Allen Browne's already provided an answer. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I...

My post not posted!
A couple of times when I've posted a reply to a recent post (same day), and later tried to view it, I found the header with a line drawn through it, and the following in the message body view pane: Message is no longer available on the server Windows Live Mail is unable to retrieve the requested message because the server no longer has the message available. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- News servers regularly expire articles as they get older to make space available for newer articles. IMAP servers can be accessed by multip...

No negatives, Newbie
I have the following function in my spreadsheet =SUM(D10+E10-20) However, should the math result in a negative number I want it t display zero instead. How would I accomplish this -- djarcadia ----------------------------------------------------------------------- djarcadian's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1587 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31495 Try This =IF(SUM(D10+E10-20)<0,0,(SUM(D10+E10-20)) -- scottymellot ----------------------------------------------------------------------- scottymelloty&#...

Need to locate "Pending Transaction" for Item
We are trying to remove a bin. The bin has 0 quantity. We do not see any open transactions we know about. It tells us we can not remove it because "Item has pending transaction." We do not use manufacturing though we may have had assembly receipts but I find no open documents. How do I find the pending transaction to which it is referring? ...

Cannot send newsgroup post with an attachment
I can send and receive posts using Outlook Express 6 newsgroups. I do not use html. When I send a post that has an attachment, e.g. a 160kB jpg that post never shows up as having been sent. How can I fix this? regards, "nobody" I can't speak for others, but msnews has a 100KB limit. If I have a need to post a graphic, I upload it to TinyPic and post the link to it. TinyPic: http://tinypic.com/ -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "news.microsoft.com" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message ...

Why Not Totals on Scheduled Transaction Report?
One thing I've been hoping for is that a scheduled transaction report would show a dollar total. I'm up to Money 2003 now, and it's still not available. Since it's been this way through several upgrades, I presume it's a conscious choice by the program's developers. But how come? Thanks, Elliott ...

Editing Sales Rep in a Posted Transaction
Does anyone know if there is a way to recall a transacrion just to change the associated sales rep? Hello Scarpa, You cannot change a transaction that has happened via the system's interface. You could modify the database using SQL or Access or a number of other tools... however that may not be the right thing to do. One of my clients was having this happen quite often... for example John sold it but it was rung up under Peter... so we created a return reason code for wrong sales rep... the cashier basically recalls the transaction for return.... picks the reason code and then eit...

SOP
Ability to Create an Invoice with a separate line item for a negative quantity and another line item for a positive quantity of the same item number when using Lot Tracked inventory. It is necessary to receive in (-1 qty) a lot that doesn't exist in inventory and then sell (+1 qty) that same lot and have it increase and reduce inventory in one posting. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the but...

Why my posting are not posted!
I am not sure why sometimes my postings are not posted! do you know why? Perhaps because you are using Microsoft's unreliable web interface to the newsgroup? Better to access the newsgroup directly, using a newsreader. -- David Biddulph "LABKHAND" <LABKHAND@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:635CB4A1-C4C9-4A80-AB93-3C8601E3F0DD@microsoft.com... >I am not sure why sometimes my postings are not posted! do you know why? "LABKHAND" <LABKHAND@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am not sure why sometimes my postings are...

Automatic transfer transaction becomes cleared unexpectedly
Has anyone else noticed this odd behavior in Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe? I have two accounts, one is an online account using the essential register and the other is an offline account using the advanced register. I created a recurring transfer (from the advanced bill summary screen) that transfers money FROM the offline account TO the online account. When I enter one occurrence of the transfer into the account registry (from the Bill Summary page), the transaction appears correctly in my offline account register but shows up under "Cleared Transactions" in the online account'...

Prior year posting 2 years
Client has 2009 open and all previous years closed. They want to post transactions to 2007. GP by default does not allow that. Is there a work around? Rich, There is no way to do this in GP out of the box. If they absolutely must post to 2007, the option I would recommend is to have the MBS Professional Services team open the 2008 year for your client, which will allow them to post to 2007, since that will now be the last closed year. Once done, the client would close 2008 again. Professional Services only does this as a consulting engagement and the cost will depend on a number of...