PC Perf. slow-down since 05 install

Folks,

I know this has been kicked around--we all know MSFT M05 is slow.  However, 
since installing M05 I have noticed my PC mouse "stops" or "jerks" even 
while Money is closed.

I can explain it like this: recall when Money is open and it goes to 
"automatically" update... the cursor turns into an hourglass and sometimes 
jerks as the processor spikes..?

....well, that's what happens on my PC even though M05 is closed.  I wonder 
if MSFT made changes to iexplorer.exe or associated .dll's ???

Since the install, the performance on my AMD Athelon XP 2800+ and 1GB RAM 
system has been crappy--mouse jerking and stopping.

Anyone else experience this or is this just me?

Thanks, JS 


0
nospam7515 (2084)
12/26/2004 2:19:30 AM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

24 Replies
736 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 35

Anyone?


"GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
news:jImdnRac9_IlglPcRVn-gw@adelphia.com...
> Folks,
>
> I know this has been kicked around--we all know MSFT M05 is slow. 
> However, since installing M05 I have noticed my PC mouse "stops" or 
> "jerks" even while Money is closed.
>
> I can explain it like this: recall when Money is open and it goes to 
> "automatically" update... the cursor turns into an hourglass and sometimes 
> jerks as the processor spikes..?
>
> ...well, that's what happens on my PC even though M05 is closed.  I wonder 
> if MSFT made changes to iexplorer.exe or associated .dll's ???
>
> Since the install, the performance on my AMD Athelon XP 2800+ and 1GB RAM 
> system has been crappy--mouse jerking and stopping.
>
> Anyone else experience this or is this just me?
>
> Thanks, JS
> 


0
nospam7515 (2084)
12/27/2004 3:11:55 PM
M05 clearly has performance issues, as do all versions of Money since around 
M01.

That having been said, what you describes does not sound typical for Money. 
I'd suspect something else was going on.

Have you looked in the Task Manager to see what's running and what levels of 
CPU they are consuming?.

"GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
news:QOGdnQdeJLidu03cRVn-sA@adelphia.com...
> Anyone?
>
>
> "GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
> news:jImdnRac9_IlglPcRVn-gw@adelphia.com...
>> Folks,
>>
>> I know this has been kicked around--we all know MSFT M05 is slow. 
>> However, since installing M05 I have noticed my PC mouse "stops" or 
>> "jerks" even while Money is closed.
>>
>> I can explain it like this: recall when Money is open and it goes to 
>> "automatically" update... the cursor turns into an hourglass and 
>> sometimes jerks as the processor spikes..?
>>
>> ...well, that's what happens on my PC even though M05 is closed.  I 
>> wonder if MSFT made changes to iexplorer.exe or associated .dll's ???
>>
>> Since the install, the performance on my AMD Athelon XP 2800+ and 1GB RAM 
>> system has been crappy--mouse jerking and stopping.
>>
>> Anyone else experience this or is this just me? 


0
12/27/2004 3:19:43 PM
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:19:30 -0500, "GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I know this has been kicked around--we all know MSFT M05 is slow.  However, 
>since installing M05 I have noticed my PC mouse "stops" or "jerks" even 
>while Money is closed.
The first thing I would suspect is sypware.  Download Adaware and
Spybot search and destroy.   

Also make sure your anti-virus program is running and up to date.




----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
0
12/27/2004 7:10:19 PM
Hi Dick & Amy,

My Antivirus is up-to-date (Norton 2005) and I have (and do) scanned my 
system using Ad-Aware.

The CPU spike is svchost.exe process.  It didn't seem to appear until after 
install M05.  My laptop does this b/c the hard disk is 5400rpm and 
relatively slow... but this is expected.  But, I have NEVER had performance 
problems (i.e., mouse stopping while moving about on the desktop) like 
this... it is analagous to M05 running and doing its update in the 
background...

It doesn't bother me that Money performs slow while it is open, but after it 
is closed?  That's why I am wondering if it updated IE or Explorer .dll's to 
support M05 and therefore resulted in this..?

Thanks... any ideas?


"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in 
message news:uymw%23dC7EHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> M05 clearly has performance issues, as do all versions of Money since 
> around M01.
>
> That having been said, what you describes does not sound typical for 
> Money. I'd suspect something else was going on.
>
> Have you looked in the Task Manager to see what's running and what levels 
> of CPU they are consuming?.
>
> "GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
> news:QOGdnQdeJLidu03cRVn-sA@adelphia.com...
>> Anyone?
>>
>>
>> "GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
>> news:jImdnRac9_IlglPcRVn-gw@adelphia.com...
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I know this has been kicked around--we all know MSFT M05 is slow. 
>>> However, since installing M05 I have noticed my PC mouse "stops" or 
>>> "jerks" even while Money is closed.
>>>
>>> I can explain it like this: recall when Money is open and it goes to 
>>> "automatically" update... the cursor turns into an hourglass and 
>>> sometimes jerks as the processor spikes..?
>>>
>>> ...well, that's what happens on my PC even though M05 is closed.  I 
>>> wonder if MSFT made changes to iexplorer.exe or associated .dll's ???
>>>
>>> Since the install, the performance on my AMD Athelon XP 2800+ and 1GB 
>>> RAM system has been crappy--mouse jerking and stopping.
>>>
>>> Anyone else experience this or is this just me?
>
> 


0
nospam7515 (2084)
12/27/2004 7:41:14 PM
My best M05 idea is Just Say No.

"GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
news:U7GdnRuad4-x-E3cRVn-hQ@adelphia.com...
> any ideas? 


0
12/27/2004 7:45:34 PM
Dick,

What would be your best recommendation for going back to 04?  Export to .qif 
? or what?

I've also purchased Quicken 2005.  While this thing is blazing fast, I don't 
think it is quite as feature rich and intuitive as Money.

JS


"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in 
message news:%23dMYqzE7EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> My best M05 idea is Just Say No.
>
> "GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
> news:U7GdnRuad4-x-E3cRVn-hQ@adelphia.com...
>> any ideas?
>
> 


0
nospam7515 (2084)
12/27/2004 8:28:12 PM
When you upgraded to M05, M04 left a backup file that was your M04 file, 
just renamed *.M12. The only issue is entering subsequent transactions.

"GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
news:HdWdnU0xgMzq7U3cRVn-sw@adelphia.com...
> What would be your best recommendation for going back to 04?  Export to 
> .qif ? or what?
>
> I've also purchased Quicken 2005.  While this thing is blazing fast, I 
> don't think it is quite as feature rich and intuitive as Money. 


0
12/27/2004 8:44:19 PM
so, the subsequent transactions... do an export/import?

"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in 
message news:ODVjXTF7EHA.3700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> When you upgraded to M05, M04 left a backup file that was your M04 file, 
> just renamed *.M12. The only issue is entering subsequent transactions.
>
> "GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
> news:HdWdnU0xgMzq7U3cRVn-sw@adelphia.com...
>> What would be your best recommendation for going back to 04?  Export to 
>> .qif ? or what?
>>
>> I've also purchased Quicken 2005.  While this thing is blazing fast, I 
>> don't think it is quite as feature rich and intuitive as Money.
>
> 


0
nospam7515 (2084)
12/27/2004 8:53:24 PM
That's certainly one strategy. It will get involved since you will have to 
hand-edit the export files to remove the duplicates and get down to just the 
subsequent ones. Depending on volume (i.e., how long it's been since you 
upgraded) hand entering these is probably easiest. Of course, I say this as 
someone who hand-enters EVERYTHING.

"GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
news:veidnXgQtru3603cRVn-3g@adelphia.com...
> so, the subsequent transactions... do an export/import? 


0
12/27/2004 9:44:27 PM
Wow--everything!  Well, it looks like i am stuck on Money 2005.  I really 
don't like Quicken 2005... Hopefully, M05 was the challenge of an 
architecture change... maybe 06 will be better.

Thanks.

"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in 
message news:Oal190F7EHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> That's certainly one strategy. It will get involved since you will have to 
> hand-edit the export files to remove the duplicates and get down to just 
> the subsequent ones. Depending on volume (i.e., how long it's been since 
> you upgraded) hand entering these is probably easiest. Of course, I say 
> this as someone who hand-enters EVERYTHING.
>
> "GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
> news:veidnXgQtru3603cRVn-3g@adelphia.com...
>> so, the subsequent transactions... do an export/import?
>
> 


0
nospam7515 (2084)
12/27/2004 10:48:02 PM
Why does anything I said mean you have to stay on M05? How much data did you 
have in M04 before the upgrade and how long have you been entering data in 
M05?

"GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
news:ZdOdnUUkIetqDU3cRVn-3A@adelphia.com...
> Wow--everything!  Well, it looks like i am stuck on Money 2005.  I really 
> don't like Quicken 2005... Hopefully, M05 was the challenge of an 
> architecture change... maybe 06 will be better. 


0
12/27/2004 10:52:59 PM
I've been on M05 since 9/20 or so.  I've had Money since 1996, but not all 
data was in there.  The problem is I have about 90 transactions in my 
personal checking alone.  Plus, i have investments sprawled all over the 
place and investment properties w/ bank accounts.  I have WAY too many 
transactions to go back.

So, I'm on the fence about Quicken b/c it would make doing my taxes easier 
at EOY, even though I don't like the interface as much.  What I can say is 
MSFT's newsgroups are hammered w/ complaints while very few complaints are 
in Intuit's.

I tried to export/import, but reference transactions, to other accounts that 
were closed, were killing me.  So, either stay on M05 or go to Q05 in 2005.

"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in 
message news:%23K%23ERbG7EHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Why does anything I said mean you have to stay on M05? How much data did 
> you have in M04 before the upgrade and how long have you been entering 
> data in M05?
>
> "GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
> news:ZdOdnUUkIetqDU3cRVn-3A@adelphia.com...
>> Wow--everything!  Well, it looks like i am stuck on Money 2005.  I really 
>> don't like Quicken 2005... Hopefully, M05 was the challenge of an 
>> architecture change... maybe 06 will be better.
>
> 


0
nospam7515 (2084)
12/28/2004 12:13:02 AM
In microsoft.public.money, GWU Student wrote:

>
>My Antivirus is up-to-date (Norton 2005) and I have (and do) scanned my 
>system using Ad-Aware.
>
>The CPU spike is svchost.exe process.  It didn't seem to appear until after 
>install M05.  My laptop does this b/c the hard disk is 5400rpm and 
>relatively slow... but this is expected.  But, I have NEVER had performance 
>problems (i.e., mouse stopping while moving about on the desktop) like 
>this... it is analagous to M05 running and doing its update in the 
>background...
>
>It doesn't bother me that Money performs slow while it is open, but after it 
>is closed?  That's why I am wondering if it updated IE or Explorer .dll's to 
>support M05 and therefore resulted in this..?

Do you need a Passport on your file? You might consider making a
copy of your file. Then remove the Passport on your working file.

There are some feature that will not work that way, but you may not
find a problem with that.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056 writes of svchost.exe. I
don't know that it will tell you anything useful to identify the
problem. Having svchost.exe taking up significant CPU time starting
with when you installed Money seems strange.

Are you saying that things are fine when you have rebooted since you
ran Money, but things bog down after you have run Money 2005?



0
via_newsgroup (13114)
12/28/2004 12:35:03 AM
Comments below.

"GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
news:R6udnQHs2dCPOE3cRVn-oQ@adelphia.com...
> I've been on M05 since 9/20 or so.  I've had Money since 1996, but not all 
> data was in there.  The problem is I have about 90 transactions in my 
> personal checking alone.  Plus, i have investments sprawled all over the 
> place and investment properties w/ bank accounts.  I have WAY too many 
> transactions to go back.

I guess that doesn't seem like all that many transactions to me, but you 
have to decide what's appropriate in your case.

> So, I'm on the fence about Quicken b/c it would make doing my taxes easier 
> at EOY, even though I don't like the interface as much.  What I can say is 
> MSFT's newsgroups are hammered w/ complaints while very few complaints are 
> in Intuit's.

It's hard to say what that means. Maybe something, maybe nothing. Lots of 
new M users (prior to M05 anyway) come here complaining about Q and Intuit's 
support or lack thereof.

> I tried to export/import, but reference transactions, to other accounts 
> that were closed, were killing me.  So, either stay on M05 or go to Q05 in 
> 2005.

Have you closed lots of accounts since 9/20? 


0
12/28/2004 12:42:01 AM
Hi Cal,

(comments below)

"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message 
news:co91t09d51chtejj0pulvqctl2m47p5s0r@4ax.com...
> In microsoft.public.money, GWU Student wrote:
>
>>
>>My Antivirus is up-to-date (Norton 2005) and I have (and do) scanned my
>>system using Ad-Aware.
>>
>>The CPU spike is svchost.exe process.  It didn't seem to appear until 
>>after
>>install M05.  My laptop does this b/c the hard disk is 5400rpm and
>>relatively slow... but this is expected.  But, I have NEVER had 
>>performance
>>problems (i.e., mouse stopping while moving about on the desktop) like
>>this... it is analagous to M05 running and doing its update in the
>>background...
>>
>>It doesn't bother me that Money performs slow while it is open, but after 
>>it
>>is closed?  That's why I am wondering if it updated IE or Explorer .dll's 
>>to
>>support M05 and therefore resulted in this..?
>
> Do you need a Passport on your file? You might consider making a
> copy of your file. Then remove the Passport on your working file.

** I'm not running passport.

> There are some feature that will not work that way, but you may not
> find a problem with that.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056 writes of svchost.exe. I
> don't know that it will tell you anything useful to identify the
> problem. Having svchost.exe taking up significant CPU time starting
> with when you installed Money seems strange.

** I will check into this...

> Are you saying that things are fine when you have rebooted since you
> ran Money, but things bog down after you have run Money 2005?

** Whether I run Money or not, the svchost.exe maximizing cpu time occurs. 
I guess I cannot be completely sure Money is the problem.  It just happened 
to surface at the same time.  Since both you and Dick aren't experiencing 
the same problem as I, then I might be barking up the wrong tree.

** When you all see CPU time spike, it's while running Money and msmoney.exe 
is the problem, am I correct?

> 


0
nospam7515 (2084)
12/28/2004 1:49:18 PM
** Comments below.

"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in 
message news:%23tHDMYH7EHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Comments below.
>
> "GWU Student" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message 
> news:R6udnQHs2dCPOE3cRVn-oQ@adelphia.com...
>> I've been on M05 since 9/20 or so.  I've had Money since 1996, but not 
>> all data was in there.  The problem is I have about 90 transactions in my 
>> personal checking alone.  Plus, i have investments sprawled all over the 
>> place and investment properties w/ bank accounts.  I have WAY too many 
>> transactions to go back.
>
> I guess that doesn't seem like all that many transactions to me, but you 
> have to decide what's appropriate in your case.

** I guess it is not, but they are complicated.  E.g., bought an investment 
property.  Had to do some "creative" transaction to ensure proper accounts 
are debited/credited for EOY reporting.  It would be an absolute pain.

>> So, I'm on the fence about Quicken b/c it would make doing my taxes 
>> easier at EOY, even though I don't like the interface as much.  What I 
>> can say is MSFT's newsgroups are hammered w/ complaints while very few 
>> complaints are in Intuit's.
>
> It's hard to say what that means. Maybe something, maybe nothing. Lots of 
> new M users (prior to M05 anyway) come here complaining about Q and 
> Intuit's support or lack thereof.

** hmmm, I guess Intuit and MSFT have similar challenges!

>> I tried to export/import, but reference transactions, to other accounts 
>> that were closed, were killing me.  So, either stay on M05 or go to Q05 
>> in 2005.
>
> Have you closed lots of accounts since 9/20?

** Yes.  Some of which where a result of migrating to 05. 


0
nospam7515 (2084)
12/28/2004 1:52:11 PM
Cal,
Per the CMD command: tasklist /SVC, I have the following:

svchost.exe                 1192 DcomLaunch, TermService
svchost.exe                 1248 RpcSs
svchost.exe                 1288 AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp,
                                 dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem,
                                 FastUserSwitchingCompatibility, helpsvc,
                                 lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Netman,
                                 Nla, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS,
                                 SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection, srservice,
                                 TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt,
                                 wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC
svchost.exe                 1360 Dnscache
svchost.exe                 1440 Alerter, LmHosts, SSDPSRV, WebClient

Note above: WebClient.  Do you mind executing the same command and 
comparing?

Thanks!


"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message 
news:co91t09d51chtejj0pulvqctl2m47p5s0r@4ax.com...
> In microsoft.public.money, GWU Student wrote:
>
>>
>>My Antivirus is up-to-date (Norton 2005) and I have (and do) scanned my
>>system using Ad-Aware.
>>
>>The CPU spike is svchost.exe process.  It didn't seem to appear until 
>>after
>>install M05.  My laptop does this b/c the hard disk is 5400rpm and
>>relatively slow... but this is expected.  But, I have NEVER had 
>>performance
>>problems (i.e., mouse stopping while moving about on the desktop) like
>>this... it is analagous to M05 running and doing its update in the
>>background...
>>
>>It doesn't bother me that Money performs slow while it is open, but after 
>>it
>>is closed?  That's why I am wondering if it updated IE or Explorer .dll's 
>>to
>>support M05 and therefore resulted in this..?
>
> Do you need a Passport on your file? You might consider making a
> copy of your file. Then remove the Passport on your working file.
>
> There are some feature that will not work that way, but you may not
> find a problem with that.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056 writes of svchost.exe. I
> don't know that it will tell you anything useful to identify the
> problem. Having svchost.exe taking up significant CPU time starting
> with when you installed Money seems strange.
>
> Are you saying that things are fine when you have rebooted since you
> ran Money, but things bog down after you have run Money 2005?
>
>
> 


0
nospam7515 (2084)
12/28/2004 1:57:18 PM
In microsoft.public.money, GWU Student wrote:

>
>** Whether I run Money or not, the svchost.exe maximizing cpu time occurs. 
>I guess I cannot be completely sure Money is the problem.  It just happened 
>to surface at the same time.  Since both you and Dick aren't experiencing 
>the same problem as I, then I might be barking up the wrong tree.
>
>** When you all see CPU time spike, it's while running Money and msmoney.exe 
>is the problem, am I correct?

I don't often see CPU spike when running Money. When I do, it is of
limited time and during compression of the backup file from what I
remember. Other times the idle task seems to have a lot of time and
the disk waits seem to be the limiting factor. I usually only check
task manager when I hear disk activity for a while or things seem
slow. If they are slow for a few seconds I typically check Ping
Plotter, and then Task Manager.


0
via_newsgroup (13114)
12/28/2004 2:28:13 PM
In microsoft.public.money, GWU Student wrote:

>Per the CMD command: tasklist /SVC, I have the following:
>
>svchost.exe                 1192 DcomLaunch, TermService
>svchost.exe                 1248 RpcSs
>svchost.exe                 1288 AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp,
>                                 dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem,
>                                 FastUserSwitchingCompatibility, helpsvc,
>                                 lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Netman,
>                                 Nla, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS,
>                                 SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection, srservice,
>                                 TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt,
>                                 wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC
>svchost.exe                 1360 Dnscache
>svchost.exe                 1440 Alerter, LmHosts, SSDPSRV, WebClient
>
>Note above: WebClient.  Do you mind executing the same command and 
>comparing?

:svchost.exe                  804 DcomLaunch, TermService
:svchost.exe                  860 RpcSs
:svchost.exe                  928 AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp,
:                                 dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem,
:                                 FastUserSwitchingCompatibility, helpsvc,
:                                 lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Netman,
:                                 Nla, RasAuto, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon,
:                                 SENS, SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection,
:                                 srservice, TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, W32Time,
:                                 winmgmt, wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC
:svchost.exe                  972 Dnscache
:svchost.exe                 1012 LmHosts, RemoteRegistry, SSDPSRV, WebClient
:spoolsv.exe                 1260 Spooler
:explorer.exe                1624 N/A
:point32.exe                 1680 N/A
:TaskSwitch.exe              1696 N/A
:PTFB.exe                    1720 N/A
:PERSFW.exe                  1816 PersFw
:svchost.exe                 1880 stisvc
:wdfmgr.exe                  1944 UMWdf
:alg.exe                     1328 ALG
:iexplore.exe                1488 N/A
:svchost.exe                 1920 HTTPFilter

That was much more similar than I would have guessed. I have 15
windows open currently, including Money 2005. I also have Ad-Aware
open, having just done a scan.

I also compared vs task manager, and I found two more than I had
originally pasted. I first saw 5 contiguous instances, but I saw 7
in task manager. So I checked more carefully and decided to
copy/paste the section of the list that contained all 7.

My task manager System Idle Process is normally >90 in the CPU
column except for brief intervals.

That KB article had a different command that would give the amount
of memory for a given instance using the PID. The amount of memory
is listed in task manager. The memory amount would then be a key to
identify which instance is which in task manager to relate which is
burning CPU time.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
12/28/2004 2:48:27 PM
Hmm, looks like I might need to do a reinstall of XP.  Apparently, the 
symptoms I am experience are unique.  I guess the problem is that I do not 
which application is misbehaving.

I did see online, relating to svchost.exe, that a USB printer was "polling" 
too often causing the CPU utilization to jump.

Otherwise, I think I'm on my own.  

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, GWU Student wrote:
> 
> >Per the CMD command: tasklist /SVC, I have the following:
> >
> >svchost.exe                 1192 DcomLaunch, TermService
> >svchost.exe                 1248 RpcSs
> >svchost.exe                 1288 AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp,
> >                                 dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem,
> >                                 FastUserSwitchingCompatibility, helpsvc,
> >                                 lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Netman,
> >                                 Nla, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS,
> >                                 SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection, srservice,
> >                                 TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt,
> >                                 wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC
> >svchost.exe                 1360 Dnscache
> >svchost.exe                 1440 Alerter, LmHosts, SSDPSRV, WebClient
> >
> >Note above: WebClient.  Do you mind executing the same command and 
> >comparing?
> 
> :svchost.exe                  804 DcomLaunch, TermService
> :svchost.exe                  860 RpcSs
> :svchost.exe                  928 AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp,
> :                                 dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem,
> :                                 FastUserSwitchingCompatibility, helpsvc,
> :                                 lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Netman,
> :                                 Nla, RasAuto, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon,
> :                                 SENS, SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection,
> :                                 srservice, TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, W32Time,
> :                                 winmgmt, wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC
> :svchost.exe                  972 Dnscache
> :svchost.exe                 1012 LmHosts, RemoteRegistry, SSDPSRV, WebClient
> :spoolsv.exe                 1260 Spooler
> :explorer.exe                1624 N/A
> :point32.exe                 1680 N/A
> :TaskSwitch.exe              1696 N/A
> :PTFB.exe                    1720 N/A
> :PERSFW.exe                  1816 PersFw
> :svchost.exe                 1880 stisvc
> :wdfmgr.exe                  1944 UMWdf
> :alg.exe                     1328 ALG
> :iexplore.exe                1488 N/A
> :svchost.exe                 1920 HTTPFilter
> 
> That was much more similar than I would have guessed. I have 15
> windows open currently, including Money 2005. I also have Ad-Aware
> open, having just done a scan.
> 
> I also compared vs task manager, and I found two more than I had
> originally pasted. I first saw 5 contiguous instances, but I saw 7
> in task manager. So I checked more carefully and decided to
> copy/paste the section of the list that contained all 7.
> 
> My task manager System Idle Process is normally >90 in the CPU
> column except for brief intervals.
> 
> That KB article had a different command that would give the amount
> of memory for a given instance using the PID. The amount of memory
> is listed in task manager. The memory amount would then be a key to
> identify which instance is which in task manager to relate which is
> burning CPU time.
> 
> 
0
wiredup (21)
12/29/2004 1:59:04 AM
In microsoft.public.money, wiredup wrote:

>Hmm, looks like I might need to do a reinstall of XP.  Apparently, the 
>symptoms I am experience are unique.  I guess the problem is that I do not 
>which application is misbehaving.
>
>I did see online, relating to svchost.exe, that a USB printer was "polling" 
>too often causing the CPU utilization to jump.
>
>Otherwise, I think I'm on my own.  

Are you saying you don't know which instance of svchost.exe  is
eating cycles?

You know how much memory that instance takes, and you can see which
process takes that much memory. 

You could kill that instance and see which disappears... however if
a particular instance is taking the time, I don't know what that
would tell you.

Reduce the priority of an instance of an/each svchost.exe  to see if
that reduces the slowing  (as a trouble shooting technique).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560 may
offer an idea.

But I agree that your symptoms don't seem to match a pattern of
other people reporting the same.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
12/29/2004 2:49:39 AM
I wasn't sure if I could kill off svchost.exe processes without crashing the 
system.  It appeared that some of the .dll's were critical components of the 
WinXP OS.  

As soon as I return home on Friday, I'll check this out.

Thanks, Jason

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, wiredup wrote:
> 
> >Hmm, looks like I might need to do a reinstall of XP.  Apparently, the 
> >symptoms I am experience are unique.  I guess the problem is that I do not 
> >which application is misbehaving.
> >
> >I did see online, relating to svchost.exe, that a USB printer was "polling" 
> >too often causing the CPU utilization to jump.
> >
> >Otherwise, I think I'm on my own.  
> 
> Are you saying you don't know which instance of svchost.exe  is
> eating cycles?
> 
> You know how much memory that instance takes, and you can see which
> process takes that much memory. 
> 
> You could kill that instance and see which disappears... however if
> a particular instance is taking the time, I don't know what that
> would tell you.
> 
> Reduce the priority of an instance of an/each svchost.exe  to see if
> that reduces the slowing  (as a trouble shooting technique).
> 
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560 may
> offer an idea.
> 
> But I agree that your symptoms don't seem to match a pattern of
> other people reporting the same.
> 
0
wiredup (21)
12/29/2004 2:51:02 PM
In microsoft.public.money, wiredup wrote:

>I wasn't sure if I could kill off svchost.exe processes without crashing the 
>system.  It appeared that some of the .dll's were critical components of the 
>WinXP OS.  

Some may be, but rebooting would be the consequence I would expect.
I would not do that while I was in the middle of a long editing
session.

>
>As soon as I return home on Friday, I'll check this out.

Here is a search that may offer an idea or so: 
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=svchost.exe+task+manager+kill&num=50&as_scoring=r&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=cpu+pid&as_eq=&as_ugroup=&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=&as_umsgid=&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=29&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2004&safe=images

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
12/29/2004 3:05:34 PM
Since you mentioned the "USB printer", you might try adding a completely
different printer and make it the default (set it to print to "File" instead
of to any port) and see if that has any impact. I'm doubtful. But, who
knows, maybe you've stumbled upon something with respect to how Money
interacts with certain printers.

-Mark
"wiredup" <wiredup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D65AF2EC-236B-4B6A-B651-5C6286D69A78@microsoft.com...
> Hmm, looks like I might need to do a reinstall of XP.  Apparently, the
> symptoms I am experience are unique.  I guess the problem is that I do not
> which application is misbehaving.
>
> I did see online, relating to svchost.exe, that a USB printer was
"polling"
> too often causing the CPU utilization to jump.
>
> Otherwise, I think I'm on my own.
>
> "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
> > In microsoft.public.money, GWU Student wrote:
> >
> > >Per the CMD command: tasklist /SVC, I have the following:
> > >
> > >svchost.exe                 1192 DcomLaunch, TermService
> > >svchost.exe                 1248 RpcSs
> > >svchost.exe                 1288 AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc,
Dhcp,
> > >                                 dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem,
> > >                                 FastUserSwitchingCompatibility,
helpsvc,
> > >                                 lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation,
Netman,
> > >                                 Nla, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS,
> > >                                 SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection,
srservice,
> > >                                 TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, W32Time,
winmgmt,
> > >                                 wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC
> > >svchost.exe                 1360 Dnscache
> > >svchost.exe                 1440 Alerter, LmHosts, SSDPSRV, WebClient
> > >
> > >Note above: WebClient.  Do you mind executing the same command and
> > >comparing?
> >
> > :svchost.exe                  804 DcomLaunch, TermService
> > :svchost.exe                  860 RpcSs
> > :svchost.exe                  928 AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc,
Dhcp,
> > :                                 dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem,
> > :                                 FastUserSwitchingCompatibility,
helpsvc,
> > :                                 lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation,
Netman,
> > :                                 Nla, RasAuto, RasMan, Schedule,
seclogon,
> > :                                 SENS, SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection,
> > :                                 srservice, TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks,
W32Time,
> > :                                 winmgmt, wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC
> > :svchost.exe                  972 Dnscache
> > :svchost.exe                 1012 LmHosts, RemoteRegistry, SSDPSRV,
WebClient
> > :spoolsv.exe                 1260 Spooler
> > :explorer.exe                1624 N/A
> > :point32.exe                 1680 N/A
> > :TaskSwitch.exe              1696 N/A
> > :PTFB.exe                    1720 N/A
> > :PERSFW.exe                  1816 PersFw
> > :svchost.exe                 1880 stisvc
> > :wdfmgr.exe                  1944 UMWdf
> > :alg.exe                     1328 ALG
> > :iexplore.exe                1488 N/A
> > :svchost.exe                 1920 HTTPFilter
> >
> > That was much more similar than I would have guessed. I have 15
> > windows open currently, including Money 2005. I also have Ad-Aware
> > open, having just done a scan.
> >
> > I also compared vs task manager, and I found two more than I had
> > originally pasted. I first saw 5 contiguous instances, but I saw 7
> > in task manager. So I checked more carefully and decided to
> > copy/paste the section of the list that contained all 7.
> >
> > My task manager System Idle Process is normally >90 in the CPU
> > column except for brief intervals.
> >
> > That KB article had a different command that would give the amount
> > of memory for a given instance using the PID. The amount of memory
> > is listed in task manager. The memory amount would then be a key to
> > identify which instance is which in task manager to relate which is
> > burning CPU time.
> >
> >


0
abcd7779 (838)
12/29/2004 4:44:50 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Pc Based Home Theater
Monster MCC AV100 Activity-based A/V Home Theater Controller Price:$279.95 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000CQPFCU Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000CQPFCU ...

Keep formatting PC to PC
I did the page formating from One PC. but when i open that document from another PC, there's formating have changed. so i wanna know, how to keep page formating, without changing the page sizes with the contents PC to PC? All depends of which version of Excel the PC have. Play it safe by formatting in the lowest version PC. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "chari" <chari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3A2FEB7F-FE4A-49CF-862A-25D79086BC8F@microsoft.com... >I did the page formating from One PC. but when i open that document fro...

Macrons
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop When I use macrons (e.g. M&amp;#257;ori) in emails, the come up as question marks (?) at the other end if the user is on a PC. <br><br>Macrons translate fine between PC and Mac when using WORD, the problem is only with Entourage. Is there a setting I migh missing? Any chance this issue could be resolved with Office 2008? On 2010-01-12 03:39:00 -0500, Dyanna@officeformac.com said: > When I use macrons (e.g. M&#257;ori) in emails, the come up as question > mark...

Print List Slow
Hello, We are having very poor performance when printing a list from contacts after a print preview. This occurs both in the Outlook Client for CRM and the web version. IE 6 will consume at 50% of the CPU. For 603 contacts, it took 3 minutes. We do have a work-around. If you print from the save lookup using it as a saved view, the performance is fine. We have installed CRM Rollup 1. We are using IE6 rather than IE 7 due to other performance issue. If you have any thoughts on this, please post. Thanks, John ...

123 09-12-05
...

Very slow outlook client for CRM 3.0
Everyone, We have implemented a test system for one of our clients and we are experiencing slowness on the outlook. The laptops are with at least 1 gig of RAM and there is only the sample data in the CRM. When the users starts the outlook it takes anywhere from 5 seconds to 15 seconds for outlook to start. We have turned off the inital sync and also increased the sync interval to 120 minutes. Even after these, the client is still slow. There are no other network issues with the users nor any other programs running on the laptop. Any advise ? Thanks Al ...

contact list 05-06-10
I just added my hotmail ID to my WLM and lost my original contact list. GAWD. How do I get it back??? Whew !! Found it by going to tools/options/connections/ .... stop signing in Now how do I upload my contact list to Windows Live so that I can take advantage of syncronizing lists? And re add my hotmail ID to WLM. "Stephen" wrote: > I just added my hotmail ID to my WLM and lost my original contact list. GAWD. > How do I get it back??? Export your contact list to a CSV file in WLM. - Contacts/File/Export Using Internet Explorer logon to Windows Live(usin...

pc
vielleicht gehts jetzt wieder mama ...

MS RMS POS with HQ installed
Is there any way to set up two stores so that when one store creates an item for their location, it will not create that item in the other stores database when they connect to the HQ or if they both have the same item it will not alter that items properties at the other store. Thank you -- Jim ...

Money 2004 Wont Install
I can't get Money 2004 to install on my PC. Whenever I try to run setup, it hangs on the window that says "One moment please. Money is checking for components and disk space..." Task manager says the process is Not Responding. I've rebooted a dozen times. I've uninstalled Money 2003. I've copied the whole CD to my hard disk and tried to run from there. I am running Windows XP SP1 with all the latest patches. How can I get Money to install? Thanks for any info. This "not responding" condition does not immediately mean there is a problem. You may ne...

eResources 02-13-05
I have installed MSCRM 1.2 for a client and it is working wonderfully except the following. If I open a specific account on the web I should have a menu item called eResources on the top menu. It does not appear and I am receiving no errors. I see this item in code appears in a file called webResources.js and is called from the page C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\SFA\accts\edit.aspx but it is not showing up. Anyone ever see this issue before. One note is another app on the server installed Java 1.2 from Sun, could this be this issue? Thanks, LLB ...

Slow Forwarding
I'm experiencing very slow response in outlook when I try to forward an HTML format email. A typical HTML email takes approximately 20-30 seconds to display after I click the forward button? Domain environment; no exchange, pop direct to ISP, Outlook2003; WinXP; is occurring on 2 machine I have tested. Anyone experienced this before? Thanks Matt Does this message hold external images? Then most likely they are being cached first. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Creating a Permanent New...

why is microsoft word word 2007,saying expired when i just instal
hi, i just installed microsoft word 2007 trial for 60 days yesterday, when i open it and a page comes up saing it has expired n convert to full one Is the the first time you installed the trial? You only get one trial. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "qumar...

Purchased Office for Mac, can I selectively install?
I have no experience with Macs. I have always used PCs with Windows, presently on Windows XP. I am awaiting deivery of my first ever MAC (Macbook) and Office for MAC. I only want to install Word and Excel from Office. I am not interested in nor want to waste resourses installing the Email handler, Powerpoint , Entourage, or Messenger. I Can this be easily accomplished on the initial installation setup? Do I have choices on installation? TIA Hello - And welcome to Mac & to the newsgroup! Although you do have custom installation options I strongly recommend that you do...

about data synchronization between pc and smartphone
I use eVC3/eVC4 to develop for smartphone platform. My desktop program saves/updates data into files on hard disk. On smartphone device,the program saves/updates data into ram or SD card. When the smartphone device connect PC,microsoft activeSync works.How do I keep data synchronization between pc and smartphone? Thanks. ___________________________________ http://www.msale.net/bbs a Chinese-language message board for developers,including palm,ppc,symbian,and etc. http://www.zirong.net/blog/ Miken's private life ...

CRM - Action Pack
I received CRM 1.2 as part of my Action Pack Subscription. I'm trying to install it on a server I just setup and it won't take either of the product keys on the back of my CD sleeve. You need to go through a registration process to hget the "real" CRM org name & key from MBS. The actual license key is tied to the org name and they have no idea what org name would be used when they package the Action Pack, so they can't gen it up front. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Sat, 21 May...

Tablet PC output not working.
UE =3D Ultraedit I've already contacted UE on this problem, their response, they don't = have a way to use the tablet PC output. I'd always figured the PC output was pretty much just cut & paste. Using my wacom 12wx the other day, I ran across a web link I wanted to = visit later when I got online. To save the link, I wanted to write into a = desktop note. I fired up UE, no tablet PC input panel. I tapped the icon in the = task bar and got the tablet PC input to write in. After typing the url into the tablet input, I hit the enter on the = floating keyboard....

"Sorry, this record has been created since your last attempt to create it"
I got this error today trying to create a new account. This is GP 9, SP2. No upgrades recently. I performed the fixes suggested by the KB article - no joy. I ran scripts on GL00100 and GL00105 to compare the record count. The scripts reveal 997 records in GL00100 and 998 in GL00105. I tried deleting the suspect record in GL00105 and re-adding - same result, same error message. I checked the triggers on GL00100 and had two triggers there related to aag tables. I removed those triggers, still no joy. I left the glp triggers intact. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Thx, Frank Ha...

how do i synchronise a diary my manager has on his pc, with my pc
can anyone tell me how i synchronise a diary my manager has on his pc (which syncs to his pda) so I can make, alter, create appointments on my pc, that will synch with his pc (we're on a network). or can i access his diary from my pc (he usually keeps it open) Is there a specific version I need? I've tried to do it before and failed and given up. Any help would be appreciated. Do you have an Exchange Server in your office? If so, you may be able to open his mailbox and edit his Journal "rosebud982" <rosebud982@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

slow send/receive
All of the sudden, checking my email has gone from a 5 second process to a 5 minutes. It literally takes that much time for the "send/receive status" to advance from 0% to 100%. I can think of nothing that is different. Yes, I have antivirus software but have always had it and have also disabled it, which has no impact. Can somebody please help? ...

Using Access to open a file on PC at a scheduled time
I have an excel file that takes a while to load. I'd like to have a form open that has code top open this file at 7 AM. Task Scheduler for windows won't work. Anyone have a code they would suggest? i am trying to run a exe at 6am, the scheduler doesn't run....it does run if someone/myself is logged in to computer.....but i want to run it automatically in the morning by itself.... any hint or advise ? thanks "dbouton" wrote: > It requests a network password. When I enter it, it fails. I don't know. It > doesnt seem relevant though. > > "Kla...

How do I access my outlook account from a different PC?
I need to know how I access my outlook outside of my home PC In news:50E9D464-3404-40F2-B01D-C2829C889A28@microsoft.com, Tony <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I need to know how I access my outlook outside of my home PC Hi - you don't. Outlook is a mail client, a piece of software you installed & run on your computer. What you may be able to do is check your e-mail via your ISP or mail host's webmail server, or, if they don't have one, www.mail2web.com Tony <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to know how I access my outlook out...

Pocket PC to PC via serial port in eMbedded VC++
Can nanybody communicate from a pocket pc to serial port on PC in embedded vc++? The code below worksfrom COM1: to COM2: via null modem but not on pocket pc. Ay ideas? HANDLE hPort=0; CString sName; CString sOut=""; char szOut[256]=""; char szNC[100]="No connection!"; DCB dcb; // open sName = _T("COM1:"); hPort = CreateFile(sName, GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE, 0, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING, 0, NULL); if(hPort == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) { MessageBox((LPCTSTR)szNC); return; } // dcb dcb.DCBlength = sizeof(DCB); GetCommState(hPort, &d...

Cannot Install Money 2004
I'm a reasonably experienced computer user, but I'm at my wits ends trying to install Money 2004. (PII, plenty of ram & HD space, Win98SE). I've searched GOOGLE and the MS Knowledge Base to no avail. I either run into error 1335 "syspack.cab" is corrupt or error 1308 "source file not found: mnysetup.dll" I've used msicu.exe, and mnyclean... shut down everything but explorer and systray; loaded the CD to the hard drive and run the setup from there... no luck. Any ideas? Rich Rich.... there are only two things I can think of. If you downloade...

Help a Student: Notebook PC market research questionnaire
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0A22_01C37FC7.CBDCF1E0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0A23_01C37FC7.CBDCF1E0" ------=_NextPart_001_0A23_01C37FC7.CBDCF1E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="gb2312" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I am currently doing dissertation at Management School, the = university of Sheffield. My project is to investigate effectiveness of = International Marketing of global notebook brands, with a focus on Dell's notebook. I would greatly appreciate if you ...