Payees

When I download my statement the payees all appear as POS
purchases, EFT withdrawals, etc and not the actual
payees,they are only appearing  in the memo section.
When I do the reports to find out where my money is going
it will not find it unless I manually change all the
payees to the proper names.  (Quicken would use the
proper names in the payee section)

Is there something I don't have set up properly or is
this just the way the program works.

Thanks in advance
money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

"POS purchase", "EFT withdrawal", etc. is what is provided by the financial
institution(s) that you are downloading from.  When you are reviewing the
downloaded transactions, you can change the payee name to something else, if
you'd like.  Money will then remember to associate the changed payee name
with the downloaded payee name in future downloads.

Doug

"Diane" <Diane_Jolly@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> When I download my statement the payees all appear as POS
> purchases, EFT withdrawals, etc and not the actual
> payees,they are only appearing  in the memo section.
> When I do the reports to find out where my money is going
> it will not find it unless I manually change all the
> payees to the proper names.  (Quicken would use the
> proper names in the payee section)
>
> Is there something I don't have set up properly or is
> this just the way the program works.
>
> Thanks in advance

0
DEWilson (47)
9/23/2003 2:56:29 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Diane wrote:

>When I download my statement the payees all appear as POS
>purchases, EFT withdrawals, etc and not the actual
>payees,they are only appearing  in the memo section.
>When I do the reports to find out where my money is going
>it will not find it unless I manually change all the
>payees to the proper names.  (Quicken would use the
>proper names in the payee section)
>
>Is there something I don't have set up properly or is
>this just the way the program works.

The can check Tools->Options->AddADescriptionToTheMemoField. That
should let you see the actual payee IF the bank puts that in the
memo field. You can then use the text for reports or as help to fill
in the Payee field. While looking at the register you can toggle the
view with Ctrl+T.

With Money 2003 and 2004
Accounts&Bills->Categories&Payees->PreferredPayeeNames lets you
change replacement of names with names of your choice. While there
you might look at the Payee Rules Manager that lets you ignore words
and phrases such as Check, ATM Withdrawal, etc.

Other than that, if the bank puts generic names into the download
data instead of actual , that's the way it works.
0
via_newsgroup (13113)

Payee change
Not sure how it happened but my version of Money changed the name of my mortgage payee to another. This affected all my loan payments dating back 5+ years. This entry is generated by a auto bill viewable in bill summary. I fixed the future transaction by editing the bill but all the prior payments are wrong. Is there any way to change this as a batch instead of each transaction? This is very time consuming. Thanks... & Happy New year In microsoft.public.money, SCOTT wrote: >Not sure how it happened but my version of Money changed the name of my >mortgage payee to...

Franklin mint putting share withdrawal into every payee
I've opened up the OSX that my bank downloads into money and I'm seeing it looks like xml. The <name> has share withdrawal in every entry and the memo field seems to have more specific info. Is there anyway to make money use the memo field instead. I'm working on a prgram to make the switch for me, but that's going to take a while. ...

How do I automatically assign a category to a specific payee?
In MS Money 2006, is there a way to assign a category to reoccurring payees so I don't have to keep manually assigning them? For instance, if there is a chare from a particular store, is there a way to automatically assign the Grocery category to it? Thanks in advance. In microsoft.public.money, chummer407 wrote: >In MS Money 2006, is there a way to assign a category to reoccurring payees >so I don't have to keep manually assigning them? For instance, if there is a >chare from a particular store, is there a way to automatically assign the >Grocery category to it? ...

Pulldown for epay shows all payees, not online payees
Hi, I've been playing with the Money 2004 trial for the past week and like it enough to consider switching from Quicken, but there is one issue that really irritates me, and I'm hoping there is a way to fix it. I have only a handful of payees enabled to receive online bill payments. However, when I go to the electronic payment screen, the payee pulldown contains *all* payees in my register. I'm forced to hunt through the hundreds of payees that I never pay online to find the few payees that to whom I do send epayments. Is there a way to set an option that limits the sc...

Payee Manager / Standardized Payees Not Working
A couple months back the word "Checkcard" started showing up in many of my bank transactions. By default, it's one of the words in the payee manager that should be removed before checking for user defined payee names and if not found shouldn't show up at all in the payee name if using standardized payees. My understanding is the process should work like this... Download transaction Process with Payee Rules Manager, remove keywords, numbers, symbols to create "standardized name" Attempt lookup for payee using standardized name Display User Paye...

Autocomplete payee
I just upgraded from Money 2003 to Money 2005. Is there any way to turn off the payee autocomplete when entering or editing a transaction? I can understand why it's there, but for me, it's really distracting and annoying. It was there in Money 2003, but it was an option that could be turned off. In microsoft.public.money, Irene wrote: >I just upgraded from Money 2003 to Money 2005. Is there any way to turn off >the payee autocomplete when entering or editing a transaction? I can >understand why it's there, but for me, it's really distracting and annoying. ...

creating associations between payees and categories
I'm a new user and apologise for what I suspect is an elementary question, although it has taxed me some hours without success. Is there a way of creating an association between a frequent payment and a category ? For example, can I make it so that Money automatically puts down payments to my favourite restaurants and bars to food & drink ? Ditto supermarkets. I've downloaded six months-worth of statement and had to do this manually for each trip out, and it seems to me that their should be a quicker way. It has illuded me. Many thanks. (I'm using money 2004 under W2K) ...

Certain Payees filtered from Payee-list
Since I changed from the former Money version (MS Money 2005) to MS Money Plus Deluxe I have a strange phenomenon: Certain payees are not shown in the Payees-list (even though they appear in dozens if not hundreds of payments as payees - e.g. my health insurance company). The annoying side effect of this is, that when I start typing the name, it is NOT automatically completed - as it used to be. Instead I have to type the *entire* name. Strange enough when I then hit enter, then the amount and category of the last payment to that payee are found and entered as defaults. What could cau...

Money '06
I'm using Money 2006 and Bank or America. All transaction descriptions are in a format of: PURCHASE [transaction ID] ON [date] AT [payee] But money seems to dump anything after the slash in the date. Example: PURCHASE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ON 08/ Which makes it impossible to categorize transactions, or even see what the transaction is. Is there any known solution to fix this? Shaun H wrote: > But money seems to dump anything after the slash in the date. > > Which makes it impossible to categorize transactions, or even see what the > transaction is. Is there any known solut...

Account Register Payee/Memo Issues
My bank lists my transactions as either a withdrawal, deposit or transfer. Then there is a subcategory that lists the details of that transaction, if any. The problem I am having is that MSM downloads the data from my bank, and when I open the account register all I see is a page full of withdrawals and deposits. If I go to the advanced register I can see the detailed info MSM has downloaded and put into the memo field, but the issue that I am having is that MSM will not categorize using the memo field, nor can I find a way for MSM to automatically fill in the transaction field from the memo d...

payee
when setting up a new bill, it does not give me the option of making it a one time payment. the bill setup are seems to only do recurring payments. how do you put in a payee that is not recurring? It's not the payee, it's the frequency that gives you the option to do that. Doug "david" <marker1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:299901c37483$8b66be10$a301280a@phx.gbl... > when setting up a new bill, it does not give me the > option of making it a one time payment. the bill setup > are seems to only do recurring payments. how do you put > in a pay...

How to see transactions by payee from payee page?
Hello, one of the most routine operations in Money 2007 is when I'm concerned about specific payee. I go to that payee and see the bars on the top and list of transactions in the bottom. Usually, the next step is looking at the report showing the same transactions, but with memo field, where I usually record the time frame each payment was for. Is there a straighforward way way to create "transactions by payee" report from the payee page? The only thing I see is "zoom" of the bars, but that gives only totals - I have to go to the general reports, and customize t...

Missing payees in drop down list
I'm using Money Plus and I can't bring over new payees to the drop down list when adding a transaction. All payees are in the payee list in "account tools/catagories&payees" but they don't show up in the drop down list. However if I manually start to type them in, auto complete will show them. I've tried changing the name, deleting, and adding as new, but neither option brings them to the drop down list. Any help is appreciated. I've managed to discover my error. When looking in my Account Register and seeing Payees in question I noticed as I right c...

Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug where the payees in my downloaded transactions are automatically added to my payee list (this despite the fact that I've checked off the option "Confirm new payees"). This alone would be worth the upgrade. On the subject of 2006, does anyone know if Microsoft added the cookie jar concept to accounts? The cookie jar allows you to squirrel money away within an account. TIA greg.block@gmail.com wrote: >Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug >where the payees in my downlo...

What do you use for Payee when moving money from one acct to anoth
I have a bunch of different things for Payee when I transfer money around. Sometimes I have myself listed, sometimes the account, sometimes, simply "transfer." What do you guys use? In microsoft.public.money, db wrote: >I have a bunch of different things for Payee when I transfer money around. >Sometimes I have myself listed, sometimes the account, sometimes, simply >"transfer." > >What do you guys use? If I enter it by hand, I usually leave it blank. I use my first name or my wife's, depending on which account the transfer is linked to. &q...

Preferred Payees
I want Money 2005 to use the Payee names my bank uses when I insert a payment into the register. I have a list of Preferred Payee Names but want to change these to what the banks uses. Any help will be appreciated. James In microsoft.public.money, JamesJ wrote: >I want Money 2005 to use the Payee names my bank uses when >I insert a payment into the register. I have a list of Preferred Payee >Names but want to change these to what the banks uses. >Any help will be appreciated. To reduce the number of existing payees, go to Banking->AccountTools->Categories&Payees-&g...

Payees
When I download my statement the payees all appear as POS purchases, EFT withdrawals, etc and not the actual payees,they are only appearing in the memo section. When I do the reports to find out where my money is going it will not find it unless I manually change all the payees to the proper names. (Quicken would use the proper names in the payee section) Is there something I don't have set up properly or is this just the way the program works. Thanks in advance "POS purchase", "EFT withdrawal", etc. is what is provided by the financial institution(s) that ...

Automatic addition to payee list
I travel all the time in a motorhome, and use Visa for most expenses. I download my Visa transactions as QIF files and import them into Money 2003. My problem is that Money automatically adds each new payee to the list of payees. My list of payees just keeps growing and Growing and GROWING..... Does anyone know of a way to stop the automatic addition to the list? I know I can manually remove them, I would just rather they weren't added in the first palce. Thanks, Bill See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q63. "Travel'n Bill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com...

Payee on check different than "my" payee name
Hi, A lot of companies are requesting that checks be payable to "a bunch of letters," that is not an acronym I will ever remember. The latest is *AAUM* for the University of Michigan Alumni Association, which I have as U of M Alumni Association." Since my payees that start with AA... are for Ann Arbor this doesn't work well for me. Assuming that I am wish to comply with their request, can I have a different "print on check as" like in QuickBooks; or can I use the nice "payee variation feature in money" in some creative way to achieve this effect. A hack...

Categories assigned by Payee
How do I get Categories to be assigned automatically based on Payee. This would seem to be a basic function; I really should not have to manually assign Food:groceries to every Shop-Rite transacton, but I can't seem to find how to do it. Thanks Roger In microsoft.public.money, Roger wrote: >How do I get Categories to be assigned automatically >based on Payee. This would seem to be a basic function; >I really should not have to manually assign >Food:groceries to every Shop-Rite transacton, but I can't >seem to find how to do it. Money should learn from experi...

Payee rename
After upgrading to Money 2004 when attempting to connect to financial institution error message: Your request to pay payment of $113.04 to Bright House on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 was not processed. The payee information for Bright House may be invalid. Please go to the Payee Details area to review the information, then try your call again. More Details: Invalid payee list id. After speaking with my bank they said it was a software issue. I deleted all the payees in money and now after creating a new payee and using epay the payee sometime changes in the register but is correct wi...

dropped payees
how do i reactivated an inactive payee in money 2003? the payee appears in the payees list but because they have not been used since 2001 they are not in the drop down list of the forms entry area. ...

Epay creates new payee resulting in duplicate payee names
This is driving me a bit crazy. Even though I've created an EPay using an existing payee, Money 2006 will often, but not always create a new identical payee when the transaction is submitted to the bank. Interestingly, though the EPay transactions are recorded in the "new" payee, if I select "go to payee" from the bill pay menu, I'm taken to the "old" payee. Further complicating things, after moving these transactions from new to old and deleting the old payee, EPay transactions are still being posted to the deleted new payee. You can't see ...

Undelete Payees
Is it possible to undelete payees in MS Money 2007? Thanks, Mike Depends on what you mean. If you mean there is a Payee in the registers that is not listed in the explicit list (Categories & Payees|Payees), yes. Just go add it (New...?) to Categories & Payees|Payees with the name typed the exact same way. "SMC" <mmcelrath@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:OhJe1VXkHHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to undelete payees in MS Money 2007? ...

Translating a payee
Hi.. see this http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/7730/clipboard02hd4.jpg Once I reconcile, it just shows just as POS Debit. Is there a way Money can change these to what is listed as the payee in the memo section? Thx In microsoft.public.money, WendyC88 wrote: >Once I reconcile, it just shows just as POS Debit. Is there a way Money can >change these to what is listed as the payee in the memo section? No. Banking->AccountTools->Categories&Payees->Payees->GoToPayeeRulesManager. Excluded Payee Names identifies words and phrases that should be ignored from the ...