pay check date for actual spending vs. budget

I am using Money Plus and use essential budget and the "essential" features
for everything else, save for my main, checking account for which I use
advanced register. I auto download all my account info from my institutions.

My question is that I am payed once per month on the last business day of
the month. My account info downloads to my registers fine, but since my main
income (paycheck) is paid at the end of the month, it doesn't register as
income for the current month (e.g., I was paid 12/31 and use that income for
all of my expenses for January). However, as a result, on the essential
budget page my "acutal income" does not reflect the paycheck from the end of
the previous month, hence, I'm always in the red! Is there a simple way to
make my income at the end of the month register as actual income for the next
month (current month). I'm a new user and assume that manually changing the
transaction date in the register will cause problems when Money next auto
downloads my account info, which would have the original transaction date.

Thanks.
0
M (188)
1/18/2009 6:36:04 PM
money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

The question budget is trying to answer is whether your income and expenses
for the period created or destroyed wealth. From that standpoint, unless
your expenses vary as a function of income and your income varies a lot from
month to month, where in the month the income and expenses show up doesn't
matter. E.g., I spend $4,000 in a month and make $4,100 in a month. That
adds up to +$100 for the month no matter where in the month the income
occurs.

Now, as you note, if you are looking at budget for this month--not previous
complete months--this could be deceiving until the last day of the month.

As to the latter effect, I'm not sure there is a great way to work around it
save in your head or mucking with transaction dates which the dependence on
downloaded data will make difficult.

I do not use Essential Budget--nor do most of the regulars here. I do know
that the advanced budget lets you track, say, expenses against pre-planned
targets so you could look at just that and not worry about when in the month
the income shows up. Of course, the income will look like it's way below
target until the last day of the month.

"Pete M" <Pete M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Money Plus and use essential budget and the "essential" features
> for everything else, save for my main, checking account for which I use
> advanced register. I auto download all my account info from my
> institutions.
>
> My question is that I am payed once per month on the last business day of
> the month. My account info downloads to my registers fine, but since my
> main
> income (paycheck) is paid at the end of the month, it doesn't register as
> income for the current month (e.g., I was paid 12/31 and use that income
> for
> all of my expenses for January). However, as a result, on the essential
> budget page my "acutal income" does not reflect the paycheck from the end
> of
> the previous month, hence, I'm always in the red! Is there a simple way to
> make my income at the end of the month register as actual income for the
> next
> month (current month). I'm a new user and assume that manually changing
> the
> transaction date in the register will cause problems when Money next auto
> downloads my account info, which would have the original transaction date.
>
> Thanks.

Checking if a view is being used
Hi we have discovered a view that will cause a problem when we next upgrade our database. I need to find a way to tell if it is being used. I have checked dependencies and there is none but that won’t tell me if the application is using it or not. With stored procedures, if I want to know if they are being used I add code to write to a table whenever they are run. With tables I write a trigger that writes to a table whenever the table is being changed. But I cannot do either with views as you can only do a select and I want to know if it is being run not necessarily lookin...

Budget Calculation Method
I have a question regarding the yearly budget calculation method. We have a 13th period setup in the GL for year-end adjustments. We want to use the yearly budget method to allocate the annual budget equally over the year but only over the 12 periods not 13. Is there a quick way to do this? It seems that GP allows only the annual amount to be entered and then calculates the distribution evenly over the 13 periods. Thank-you. ...

vlookup on date to text
I want to use a vlookup to get a value for a day of the week where the lookup value (cell V3) is provided by =TEXT(V4,"dddd"). The first column in the table is text and I keep getting a #VALUE error using the following syntax VLOOKUP(V3,$V$48:$W$54,1). Do I need to have a formatting function in the vlookup or format the target table's text days differently? Thanks I'm not sure why you'd be getting the #VALUE error. It seems to work fine on my side. I'm assuming your the first column of your table consists of Sunday through Saturday. Make sure your table is...

Dlookup Problem Text VS Number type
Hello all- I have a form (in access) that has a section of code which fills in certain cells for an excel spread sheet. Code has worked perfectly for a while, but recently I changed the table's 'OrderNumber' field from a Number type to a Text type. Now my Dlookup doesn't work. I tried changing it back, and it works again. Why does it matter? I need/would really like it to be a text type field. All help/explinations would help a lot. Thanks! Zach Zach - Did you also update the DLookup statement? A text field requires the single-quote delimiter arou...

menu item checked?
CMenu* pmenu = AfxGetMainWnd()->GetMenu() pmmenu->CheckMenuItem(ID_SOUNDS_NOSOUNDS, MF_CHECKED | MF_BYCOMMAND) where ID_SOUNDS_NOSOUNDS is Main Menu->Sounds(Pop up)-> NoSounds(a item of this pop up menu) Is this wrong? Well, it's not working. (Which is the problem? Thanks in advance Why don't you just add ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI handler for ID_SOUNDS_NOSOUNDS To modify the submenu, you need a handle to it, not to the main menu ----- vasr wrote: ---- CMenu* pmenu = AfxGetMainWnd()->GetMenu() pmmenu->CheckMenuItem(ID_SOUNDS_NOSOUNDS, MF_CHECK...

spell check isn't accepting my command to change to suggestion
I think I'm using Windows Vista 2007. Being computer ignorant, I don't even know how to verify that. Before changing from Windows 2000, spell check worked fine. The settings seem to be set right. Spell check will make spelling suggestions, and when I tell it to make selected changes, it makes the change BEFORE I HIT SEND, but once I hit send, the changes revert to the miss spelled word. What can I do? ...

SQL Error when printing checks
I get the following error message when trying to print a check (for a temp vendor) [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'mlcChkLyt'. Can anyone suggest a soulution, before I have to bring in a consultant. Thanks Kevin Had same problem. There is a hot fix for this. Check out KB Article # 933035. Thanks. Girish "Rob" wrote: > I get the following error message when trying to print a check (for a temp > vendor) > > [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name > 'mlcChkLyt'. > > Can anyo...

"Check Marking" a cell
Can I format (via Macro???) a cell so that if the user left clicks on the cell a check mark appears without using the Control Toolbox. The cells with such format will only need to then be the totaled (via =counta(x:x). There's no left click you can tie into. You could base it on selection (either the mouse or the keyboard), but you could use rightclick for this: If that's ok, rightclick on the worksheet tab that should have this behavior. Select view code and paste this into that code window: Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel...

Min /Max Date Into String
I require as a header, Report From (min Date) to (max Date) which i have acheived by : ="Summary Data For Period "&MIN(Data!B:B)&" To "&MAX(Data!B:B) however the dates are returned as excel values rather than dates. How can i format them as dates? -- mdma ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mdma's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24284 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=561990 ="Summary Data For Period "&TEXT(MIN(Data!B:B),&quo...

Bill Pay vs E-Pay
What is the difference in MS Money 2004 between Bill Pay and E-Pay? Are they the same thing? Also, I saw reference to allowing a third party bill payment system to show within Money. Does that mean if I choose to sign up for bill pay through my bank that I can control it through MS Money? Thanks, Brenda try auto-payment. i've used auto-pay for 20+ years and not problems. >-----Original Message----- >What is the difference in MS Money 2004 between Bill Pay >and E-Pay? Are they the same thing? > >Also, I saw reference to allowing a third party bill >payment sys...

comment on check
I'm having difficulty getting the check comment to show up on the printed check. I can get the comment to show up on the check stub, but no on the actual check. I'm using Check stub on top format. In report writer I tried to move comment 1 to check and after printing the check comment was not on the check. I would like to stop having to write in the account number on check and instead have GP do it for me by placing the comment field on the actual check. ------=_NextPart_0001_1604536A Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Jason, I'd like to continu...

Your action pay now!
http://www.youractionspay.com/?yapid=sr.antonio Calculate the Possibilities www.youractionspay.com/?yapid=sr.antonio Get $5.00 Referral Bonuses For every referral you make to YourActionsPay.com - you'll receive a $5.00 bonus upon them earning a minimum of $30.00 in earnings. Their $30.00 in earnings DOES include their Joining Bonus as well - so all they have to do is complete $25.00 worth of offers and you'll receive a check for $5.00 because your referred them. Plus, up to 30% Referral Bonuses! You will ALSO earn up to 30% of your referrals earnings. And, your referrals' earnings...

date conversion #2
I am trying to import a file that has dates on it in this format yy-mm-dd. When excel receives the dates it converts them to standard mm/dd/yyyy . Unfortunately the mm shown is actually the yy and the dd shown is the mm and the yyyy shown is the day. Example: Import 03-04-24 Result 3/4/2024 Dose anybody have any ideas on how I can fix this. Thanks in advance. No sorry Jeff, but I have pretty much the same problem at the moment. I am trying to put in a bank sort code which is numbered like ##-##-## and it keeps converting it into date format but dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy,...

Spell check
I've had Office 2007 installed, but I cannot find where to turn the spell checker off in Outlook. Tried all the obvious ones, but it keeps checking new e-mail messages on send. Any ideas, please? Thanks tools, options, spelling tab? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT....

Date on Template
I created some templates and am choosing to bring over a date to be shown in the template when it is run. I have selected this attribute to be date only and not date & time. Every time I run the template it still shows date+time+time zone. Is there a way to show only the date and not the rest of the data. Thanks for any help anyone can provide. ...

I want to calculate a date 1 year ahead of a date in a bookmark
I want to be able to calculate a new date 1 year ahead of a date that is stored or entered in a bookmark so that if the value under the bookm ark changes the calculated date value will also change. In Excel I can easily do date calculation but if it's available in Word help is NO help. Terry, See if something like this would work. Sub DateReCalc() Dim strOldDate As String Dim dteNewDate As Date strOldDate = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("origDate").Range.Text dteNewDate = DateAdd("yyyy", 1, DateValue(strOldDate)) MsgBox dteNewDate End Sub Steve Y...

Mailboxes Sizes Different on Exchange vs. Outlook
When I look up mailbox size on Outlook for one particular user, it shows a mailbox size of 100MB. When I look at the same mailbox on the Exchange Server System Manager, it shows 233MB. This is causing the user to get exceeded mailbox limit warnings. What could be causing this? There are hidden folders that Outlook doesn't count in calculation, but it's hard for me to believe that they would have 133MB. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Tony M." <TonyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C...

compare date
Hi, I have a worksheet with different tabs for the different sales people. I'm trying to follow up the price offers they make. So in column A there is the name of the customer, in column B is the due date for the price offer. Column C will be the date of the actual price offer. What I would like to do is to compare the dates in column B with the Today-date and if a or some dates in column B are equal to or past the Today-date, get a message box allerting me there are price offers due or overdue. The best should be if this comparison could be done on opening the Excel-worksheet (for...

Omega Speedmaster Day Date Mens Watch 323.53.40.44.01.001, Best Wristwatch World
Omega Speedmaster Day Date Mens Watch 323.53.40.44.01.001, Best Wristwatch World Click Here To Website : http://www.watchess.net/Omega_Speedmaster_Day_Date_Mens_Watch_323.53.40.44.01.001.html Wristwatch World: http://www.watchess.net/ Omega Speedmaster Day Date Mens Watch 323.53.40.44.01.001 Information : Brand : Omega Watches ( http://www.watchess.net/Omega_Watches.html ) Gender : Mens Code : 323.53.40.44.01.001 Also Called : 32353404401001 Case Material : 18k Rose Gold Case Thickness : Dial Color : Black Bezel : 18K Rose Gold Movem...

Online bill pay, download or upload?
Sorry if the subject line does not make sense, I was not sure how to phrase this question. I have been using money for awile but I am getting the impression here lately there is another way to use money that I have not considered. Today I bank online and I set up all my online bill pay data at my banks web site and then download those transactions into money (except over the past two months the downloads have quit working and I have yet to figure out the problem). Is there a way to do just the opposite and enter all the transactions in money and the upload that data to my bank so that there ...

Check if query exists
How can I check, via code, that a query exists or not? I want to delete a temporary query created in the program, using the CreateQueryDef property, but it is not always that it has been created. Thanks in advance, Paulo See http://www.devhut.net/index.php?lang=en&pid=0000000003#DoesQryExist for a function to check if a query exists or not. Your alternative is to simply try and use the query and trap any errors that arise in the case that it does not. -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault http://www.cardaconsultants.com/ For Access Tips and Examples: http://www.devh...

Conditional Formatting a Date
Hi All, I have a contiuous form with a date field "AppointmentDate" with back style set to Transperant, which is over an unbound text box "AppointmentColour". I would like to have "AppointmentColour" change to amber when "AppointmentDate" = minus 1 day and change to red when "AppointmentDate" = today Example: When "AppointmentDate" is 22-04-2010 "AppointmentColour" becomes amber on 21-04-2010 "AppointmentColour" becomes red on 22-04-2010 I have tr...

Is Back-Dating possible?
Last Friday I made many calls, but did not have time to enter those activities into CRM for an existing account. Is it possible to close those activities with Fridayt's date as opposed to today's? Thanks Unfortunately you cannot do that. Only modifications to the database do allow you to make these changes, which ofcourse aren't supported by Microsoft. -- Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP Avanade Netherlands http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/ "circulent" wrote: > Last Friday I made many calls, but did not have time to enter those > activities into CRM for an exist...

dates #2
I am working depreciation rates , it requires to calculate the numbe of days between The date of purchase ie, 09/07/2003 and year endin 31/03/2003 with year as 365 days . There are hundreds of entries -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Mikey! Where B1 is the later date and A1 the earlier date, the number of days between them is: =B1-A1 Format General Dates in Excel are serial numbers representing the number of days from 31-Dec-1899. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "mikey >" <<mikey.17l1od@excelfor...

I pay $ for this project
I am seeking assistance to build a chart or graph to illustrate delivery times each day over a year period. Each truck delivers 0 to 10 loads each day, 5 or 6 days a week, The date and time each load is received is logged in a database. The earliest delivery is 7AM, the latest is 5PM. Perhaps the verticle axis might represent hours of the day from 7-5PM. The horizantal axis might represent the days of the week, all 365 days of the year. An alternative would be to delete Sundays as no loads are delivered on Sunday. This might be a scatter chart, or a high-low chart with provision for loads...