OT: What tax software is everyone using this year?

TurboTax is too expensive ($40 + electronic filing fees), TaxCut is $30 and
included filing fees, TaxAct is $20 for the same thing.

Do Money 2006 Deluxe owners get any special offers on Taxcut?
--
Aloke
----

0
aprasad123 (105)
12/9/2005 2:53:52 AM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

Excel.

I'll probably use the Quicken free efile and then put my own data in the
free state online system.

"Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
> TurboTax is too expensive ($40 + electronic filing fees), TaxCut is $30
> and included filing fees, TaxAct is $20 for the same thing.
>
> Do Money 2006 Deluxe owners get any special offers on Taxcut?

What's the URL for Quicken free efile?

Do you have to have Quicken to do this?
--
Aloke
----

message news:Od2TX3G$FHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Excel.
>
> I'll probably use the Quicken free efile and then put my own data in the
> free state online system.
>
> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
>> TurboTax is too expensive ($40 + electronic filing fees), TaxCut is $30
>> and included filing fees, TaxAct is $20 for the same thing.
>>
>> Do Money 2006 Deluxe owners get any special offers on Taxcut?

0
aprasad123 (105)
12/9/2005 11:40:34 AM
Q2: nope.

Q1: Maybe I'll have to go back to paper filing this year. From
http://irs.gov: "Taxpayers who used Free File in past filing seasons might
not qualify for the free services for the 2006 filing season.  Participation
in the 2006 Free File program is limited to taxpayers with an Adjusted Gross
Income (AGI) of $50,000 or less." Considering they want to get people to
efile, this seems like severe back-sliding.

> What's the URL for Quicken free efile?
>
> Do you have to have Quicken to do this?

Don't MS Money users get some sort of price-break on TaxCut products?

I couldn't find anything in the Home page of Money 2006 ..

At this rate, I'm going to give TaxAct a try this year.
--
Aloke
----

message news:%23MN6cQM$FHA.3308@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Q2: nope.
>
> Q1: Maybe I'll have to go back to paper filing this year. From
> http://irs.gov: "Taxpayers who used Free File in past filing seasons might
> not qualify for the free services for the 2006 filing season.
> Participation in the 2006 Free File program is limited to taxpayers with
> an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $50,000 or less." Considering they want
> to get people to efile, this seems like severe back-sliding.
>
> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
>> What's the URL for Quicken free efile?
>>
>> Do you have to have Quicken to do this?

0
aprasad123 (105)
12/9/2005 4:06:33 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Aloke Prasad wrote:

>Don't MS Money users get some sort of price-break on TaxCut products?
>
>I couldn't find anything in the Home page of Money 2006 ..
>
>At this rate, I'm going to give TaxAct a try this year.

TaxAct does not accept a QFX file, so you would have to enter your
schedule D info manually.

In some states, filling out the income tax by hand is fairly easy,
once the federal return is in hand.

0
via_newsgroup (13113)
12/9/2005 4:40:50 PM
Aloke Prasad wrote:
> TurboTax is too expensive ($40 + electronic filing fees), TaxCut is $30 and
> included filing fees, TaxAct is $20 for the same thing.
>
> Do Money 2006 Deluxe owners get any special offers on Taxcut?
> --
> Aloke
> ----
> to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com
I use the tax software on H&R Bocks site......it allows me to save
the file as an Acrobat File.

I would add I don't use Turbo Tax after the antics they pulled a few
years ago.
After that I switched to H&R Block and never looked back.

I'm rethinking the Excel part now.

Modeling the AMT question looks like it will take days--and I'm reasonably
confident there won't be any to pay, but I'm going to hit EVERY trap that
says you have to go all the way through the course to prove it. What a
headache. Maybe I'll pay the $10 for Online TurboTax Basic. I still won't
pay them $24.95 to file the state. Here in Colorado, the state return is
pretty easy: How much did you tell the Feds you were paying tax on? Add a
few things if they apply, subtract a few things if they apply. Send in 4.63%
* the balance.

In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:

>Maybe I'll pay the $10 for Online TurboTax Basic.

When you could keep your tax info on your own computer with taxact
free?
0
NoMailTnx (131)
12/13/2005 9:54:23 AM
"Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message
> In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:
>
>>Maybe I'll pay the $10 for Online TurboTax Basic.
>
> When you could keep your tax info on your own computer with taxact
> free?

What's the URL for Taxact free that lets you do this?
--
Aloke
----
to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com

0
aprasad123 (105)
12/13/2005 10:28:45 AM
Aloke: http://www.taxact.com mentions this offer.
Cal: I'll check it out. Free is the right price for me.

> "Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message
>> In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe I'll pay the $10 for Online TurboTax Basic.
>>
>> When you could keep your tax info on your own computer with taxact
>> free?
>
> What's the URL for Taxact free that lets you do this?

Ah, yes of course..

I'll probably download the Fed+State.  I'm used to paying $20/year (mostly
to Intuit and H&RBlock for the last 3 years) for tax software.
--
Aloke
----

message news:utzxLq%23$FHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Aloke: http://www.taxact.com mentions this offer.
> Cal: I'll check it out. Free is the right price for me.
>
> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message

>>> When you could keep your tax info on your own computer with taxact
>>> free?
>>
>> What's the URL for Taxact free that lets you do this?

0
aprasad123 (105)
12/14/2005 12:22:16 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Aloke Prasad wrote:

>h, yes of course..
>
>I'll probably download the Fed+State.  I'm used to paying $20/year (mostly
>to Intuit and H&RBlock for the last 3 years) for tax software.

The big downside is that TaxAct does not accept TXF files. That
could be a significant deal if you had a lot of transactions to go
onto schedule D.
0
NoMailTnx (131)
12/14/2005 6:08:09 AM
> In microsoft.public.money, Aloke Prasad wrote:
>
>>h, yes of course..
>>
>>I'll probably download the Fed+State.  I'm used to paying $20/year (mostly
>>to Intuit and H&RBlock for the last 3 years) for tax software.
>
> The big downside is that TaxAct does not accept TXF files. That
> could be a significant deal if you had a lot of transactions to go
> onto schedule D.

Don't even know what TXF files are :-)
My taxes are pretty simple.
--
Aloke
----
to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com

0
aprasad123 (105)

Using Outlook 2003 as default mail client
I just received Outlook 2003 with a new Dell. I set it to be my default mail client and used the correct POP3 and SMTP addresses, etc but can only send mail to my Earthlink account. Mail in my server queue will not download. When I try to manually send/receive, the error message "An object was not found" is returned. Outlook Express 6 works, I would just prefer to use Outlook 2003. I have already tried running a repair from control panel. I have also used the backup Office CD to reinstall - all with no luck. Earthlink advises that they have no information to help with...

Tax rates on items in RMS
I have a client who has some unique tax rate needs. The scenario is: The tax rate- up to $1,600.0 per item- 9t is 9.25 %. If it is between $1,600 and $3,200 it is 9.75% . If he has a rug that is over $3,400.00 this has 3 levels of tax rate. The tax needs to be done on a single unit basis. Can tax rates be set up based on purchase amounts on a sliding scale in RMS? Andrea Must be in Tennessee. Is that where your from? mt "Andrea" <Andrea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F472BD1-0AF9-4D92-BDC9-6DA699AE6D0D@microsoft.com... >I have a client who has som...

Offline backup using NtBackup gives ESE API error
Hello, We do a offline backup using NtBackup of a small E2K server on a scheduled basis. The C: and D: drives plus the System State are selected and the backup is to disk. Exchange is shut down using net stop commands then NtBackup is called, all from the same batch file. Each time, the backup appears to complete correctly according to the NtBackup logfile. However, the Application Event Viewer always logs the following error 3 times in the seconds after Exchange is shutdown and NtBackup starts: The ESE API returned Unable to perform the operation. Either you can not connect to the specifie...

Calculating Tax on 100% Discount (POS V1.3.1006)
Hi everyone. Please check this: On the POS put the Discount (Shift-F3) to 100% for the whole transaction. Enter an item that requests the Price entry at the POS. Enter a price. Watch the Tax at the bottom of the screen. You get a receipt with a Total of 0,00 including a tax of what the regular tax would be if the item wouldn't have a 100% discount. Isn't that a bit weird? Chris try updating to 1.3.1011 and see if its fixed. "Christian Olsen" <ChristianOlsen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14D63EDA-C3B9-46F2-8720-75CA2725D429@microsoft.com... &g...

Using the CASE function in SmartList Builder
I need to create a calculated field in SmartList Builder to print the Payroll Transaction History:UPR TRX Amount when the Payroll Transaction History:Payroll Code is not equal to certain values. Here is the sql query I would run to select those results: SELECT UPRTRXAM FROM UPR30300 WHERE PAYROLCD NOT IN ('STD', 'LTD', 'XMAS', 'BONUS', 'CAR', 'CLOTH', 'ADDPAY'). Normally I would use restrictions to restrict the whole SmartList object but I need those records to be available for another column. I haven't really worked with t...

Default Signatures using Outlook Web Access
Because I primarily access email via Outlook Web Access (do not use desktop version of Outlook), I would like to have new/reply messages in OWA default to use a standard signature. I know how to set this up with the desktop version of Outlook. I have also seen how a signature can be picked if your desktop version of Outlook is "configured and runnable" when you are using OWA. However, can a standard signature be set up when only using OWA? Thanks, I would appreciate any help. What version of Exchange are you using? Exchange 2003 OWA offers a default signature. There are a...

"non-commercial use"
I installed Office2007 Enterprise on my new Windows 7 laptop from the disk, ignoring the fact that it came with a 60-day trial of Home & Student. Now it seems as though it somehow glommed onto the presence of the trial version somewhere on the hard drive (I didn't click on the Trial icon, and I haven't gone on line -- because the wifi network connection thingie is demanding a "security code," whatever that is, before it will connect to a network) and says "non-commercial use" in the title bar. Is there some way to make that go away? (I didn't tr...

exel query problem using ODBC
I am using Microsoft office 2002 with ODBC files on our AS400. When I try to return data to Microsoft Exel in my query I receive the following error: SQL0104_Token* was not valid Valid Token:{<Identifier I have read related articels that this may be a bug in Office 2002 Exel. Any ideas what I should do? Marilee Search google.groups for SQL0104 and you'll get a lot of hits. Here's one that may be helpful http://www.google.com/groups?threadm=akemr9%24rie%241%40news.rchland.ibm.com -- Dick Kusleika MVP - Excel Excel Blog - Daily Dose of Excel www.dicks-blog.com "Mar...

Use Refresh/Requery
I have a subform that I use to update information - for example an end date - a summary of which transactions are accessed by clicking a control button opening another form and subform. I want the user to be able to click the control button and see the summary form with the information updated without first having to click out of the record. I have tried using refresh and requery in all sorts of locations but to no avail. The user has to click out of the record and then click on the control button to see the other form/subform displayed correctly. Any ideas, anyone? grahamswindon@talktalk...

insert password using vb
I have multi worksheets in a template with formulas. I can hide th formulas but if I add a password, my macros stop and ask for th password when the macro is in a protected worksheet. Is there a way o adding the password to a macro so that the macro will run smoothl without stopping and asking for a manual insertion of the password? Thanks Do -- abbevill ----------------------------------------------------------------------- abbeville's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=976 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26122 ...

how do i make a sheet of different labels using office 2003

problems using FormulaR1C1
I am trying to set up a formula for several cells and am having a problem because extra single quotes are appearing. I use the following code: Set wc = Worksheets("Cost") startcol = 14 n = 0 wdarow = 24 For m = 1 To 80 Step 4 n = n + 1 wc.Range(Cells(8, startcol + m), Cells(8, startcol + m)).FormulaR1C1 = "=CB.GetForePercentFN('Timing Analysis'!AE" & wdarow & ",pValue)" wdarow = wdarow + 7 If n = 2 Then wdarow = wdarow + 9 n = 0 End If Next m and the result in the cell is: ...

How can I create a historical timeline using office Viso? EG.1167
I want to use the office Viso to create a timeline for a history class, but it won't allow me to enter the dates ( 1167-1227) ...

Backing up to tape using Tape Autoloader
Hi, I have a DPM solution which is backing up multiple protection groups to disk all fine. I've also got a Dell Tape Autoloader, which DPM is communicating with, that I'd like to use to do weekly backups to tape of certain Protection Groups and then move them off site for one month. I'm a bit confused about how to configure DPM to achieve this. I know how to add the tape backup into each Protection Group, but it's the retention part and how DPM notifies me that a tape is ready for off site that confuses me. If a backup is done say on Saturday, when I come in ...

OT...check this out...OT
http://www.escapeyesterworld.com/ try all the controls -- John Inzer Thanks John...pretty nifty. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message news:uuhImG%23mFHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > http://www.escapeyesterworld.com/ > try all the controls > > -- > > John Inzer > > ...

VC and Cobra and OTS
Hello, Can i use VC to build a project using cobra and OTS to communicate with other UNIX system? Do you mean CORBA? WTH "So Sick" <Sug@sug.com.hk> wrote in message news:OJ6KUh%232DHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Can i use VC to build a project using cobra and OTS to communicate with > other UNIX system? > > > > yes ..... sorry. "WTH" <spamsucks@Ih8it.com> wrote in message news:u09iMT$2DHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Do you mean CORBA? > > WTH > > "So Sick" <Sug@sug.com.hk>...

use USB security token in outlook
how can use security token in outlook. i want do encrypt message and signed mail with my security token. my token support pkcs#11 Dear YOu will need the certificates for same. You can find the free certificates of TAWTE for testing then you can send the encrypted messages. I hope this will help you. The best dual security is Alddin. It works fine. Best regards Sharad "Fanian" wrote: > how can use security token in outlook. > i want do encrypt message and signed mail with my > security token. > my token support pkcs#11 > ...

using microsoft outlook for email
How do I setup microsoft outlook as my default email account? ...

Can Beta 2010 use the 2009 Language Pack?
I finally got the Beta 2010 Language pack to load but it does not appear to have Italian or German. Any chance the 2009 language pack works with Beta 2010 or am I out of luck .....? Try posting to the beta forum: Office 2010 forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010 -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit. "SStraveler" <SStraveler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8410E9A5-43AB-4127-B426-15FE69982C2F@microsoft.com... > I finally got the Beta 2010 Language pack to load ...

How do I open excel book on another computer using same excel pro
I created an excel workbook using office 2003 on my computer and when i took it to another computer using same excel prgram 2003 I could not open the book it only opened the first sheet. i emailed it to the computer and copied it to a cd and tried that. nothing worked. It should open on any machine from Excel 97 up. I would check that when you saved the workbook you did so as an 'Excel workbook' and not any of the other file types that Excel can save as, such as very old versions, csv, etc. These formats will only save a single-sheeted workbook. -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft M...

OT
OT - OFF - TOPIC Hola amig@s; El gobierno Colombiano en su continuo inter�s de ofrecer oportunidades acad�micas y profesionales a todos sus habitantes y a todos los interesados en capacitaci�n ha preparado una de las mejores plataformas de educaci�n virtual, con cursos virtuales "certificados" con cero costo. Los invito a visitar la WEB del Servicio nacional de Aprendizaje, nacionales o extranjeros pueden acceder a una de las plataformas educativas gratuitas mejor estructuradas y pagadas por todos los Colombianos. Hay cursos de inform�tica, office, outlook , cursos de Excel...

Finding if UserID/PW Exists in XML File Using XPath?

using excel to calculate win-loss records
If i have an excel spreadsheet detailing my sports program's win-loss records, i have a column titled "W/L"...and a "W" if they win and an "L" if they lose. Is there a formula that would total the amount of "W"'s and "L"'s and display it in a traditional Win-Loss format? (ie Wins-Losses, or for example 3-14) Any help would be appreciated. if your W or L range is c5:c11 this should work =CONCATENATE(COUNTIF($C$5:$C$11,"W"),"-",COUNTIF($C$5:$C$11,"L") -- duan -------------------------------------...

Please help with code to open pdf's and modify using access database
I am looking for some visual basic to take a list of file names (pdf's) in an excell spreadsheet or access query output and use that list to cycle through a folder on a network drive containing the referenced pdf files. If the filename in the output equals the filename on the server, then it would open the file from the server, paste a text box (in pdf format) in the upper right hand corner, save the file as the same file name in the same folder on the server and close the file then move on to the next and do the same. I have adobe acrobat professional version 8. This would have to be d...

Multiple Companies using eConnect
When you install eConnect you set your connection string to one company (sql catalog) and the example of the eConnect_Incoming.exe.config is only connected to one company in Great Plains. Can you use eConnect to pass information to multiple companies in Great Plains. If so how to you do it. thanks grs You can use eConnect to pass information to multiple companies, you need to add the eConnectProcessInfo section to the top of you XML: <eConnect xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes"> <GLTransactionType> <eConnectProcessInfo> <ConnectionString&g...