Open existing file

I recently got a new computer and want to move my Money
files to that computer.  This is what I have done so far:

- installed current version of Money 2003 on new PC
- copied current Money file from old PC to CD
- copied current Money file from CD to new PC
- am able to perform File, Open and it appears to want to
open existing file

However, my data does not appear anywhere - accounts,
payees, reports, etc.  Its like it hasn't opened it at all.

How can I get it to open an existing file that the new PC
has never seen before?  Thx.
0
mangel1 (1)
9/12/2003 1:10:51 AM
money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

Double-click on the .MNY file you copied over via CD. Money should open it.
Quit. From then on, Money will open the file it last opened. (Are you sure
you copied the correct file?!?)

"MBAK" <mangel1@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> I recently got a new computer and want to move my Money
> files to that computer.  This is what I have done so far:
>
> - installed current version of Money 2003 on new PC
> - copied current Money file from old PC to CD
> - copied current Money file from CD to new PC
> - am able to perform File, Open and it appears to want to
> open existing file
>
> However, my data does not appear anywhere - accounts,
> payees, reports, etc.  Its like it hasn't opened it at all.
>
> How can I get it to open an existing file that the new PC
> has never seen before?  Thx.

I have just done the same thing, fortunatly I had our IT
manager assisting so here a couple of things to look out
for
Copy the .mny file to CD remembering the ms default
location eg C:/program files/msmoney etc.
copy the file from the CD to the same new location as the
old location. R/click the file and uncheck the read only
then either open money and locate the file using file-
open or double click the file in windows explorer.
Make sure Norton Virus is disabled
Empty the temp files from internet explorer before starting

0
terry1438 (14)
9/12/2003 5:13:36 AM
Storing your data file in the program files directory is not a "best
practice," particularly on new operating systems. Keep it in the My
Documents tree. Money doesn't require it to be in the Program Files tree.

"terry" <terry@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> I have just done the same thing, fortunatly I had our IT
> manager assisting so here a couple of things to look out
> for
> Copy the .mny file to CD remembering the ms default
> location eg C:/program files/msmoney etc.
> copy the file from the CD to the same new location as the
> old location. R/click the file and uncheck the read only
> then either open money and locate the file using file-
> open or double click the file in windows explorer.
> Make sure Norton Virus is disabled
> Empty the temp files from internet explorer before starting

Dick, I want to use best practices.  Why is it better to store my data files
in the My Documents tree vs. the Program Files tree in the program's folder?

"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Storing your data file in the program files directory is not a "best
> practice," particularly on new operating systems. Keep it in the My
> Documents tree. Money doesn't require it to be in the Program Files tree.
>
> "terry" <terry@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> > I have just done the same thing, fortunatly I had our IT
> > manager assisting so here a couple of things to look out
> > for
> > Copy the .mny file to CD remembering the ms default
> > location eg C:/program files/msmoney etc.
> > copy the file from the CD to the same new location as the
> > old location. R/click the file and uncheck the read only
> > then either open money and locate the file using file-
> > open or double click the file in windows explorer.
> > Make sure Norton Virus is disabled
> > Empty the temp files from internet explorer before starting

0
xb77 (64)
9/12/2003 4:49:34 PM
Because then it's in files that you see from My Documents and no application
is likely to step on or remove if uninstalled or whatever. Likewise, on
systems employing file system security settings or network user profiles or
any of dozens of other things for user files, the files in your My Documents
location get this stuff applied--the ones in the middle of the application
directories at Program Files do not. (For instance, many corporate PC
installations and some of those at home for us who are really into this
stuff, set the My Documents stuff to be on a completely different disk or
disk partition from the system and applications stuff, so, if need be, the
systems/applications stuff can be destructively reloaded without ever
touching the user stuff.) It's kinda like putting you coat in the back seat
or under the hood. The back seat is your space--under the hood isn't.

"XB77" <xb77@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Dick, I want to use best practices.  Why is it better to store my data
files
> in the My Documents tree vs. the Program Files tree in the program's
folder?

Thanks Dick.  I understand and it makes sense.  Now the question
(rhetorical) is should I go back and pull any and all application data files
out of program folders.  Maybe when we migrate to a new computer someday
I'll look at that.  In the meantime I realize that I have already done that
in a very limited way with certain critical files.

0
xb77 (64)
9/12/2003 11:34:19 PM
I absolutely try to keep my data files neatly segregated from the
application files. Is it worth going on an easter egg hunt to clean this up?
Well, ask yourself this: when you go to migrate to a new machine will it be
any easier to find all of this stuff than it is today?

> Thanks Dick.  I understand and it makes sense.  Now the question
> (rhetorical) is should I go back and pull any and all application data
files
> out of program folders.  Maybe when we migrate to a new computer someday
> I'll look at that.  In the meantime I realize that I have already done
that
> in a very limited way with certain critical files.

"...when you go to migrate to a new machine will it be
any easier to find all of this stuff than it is today?"

No, however, some applications (maybe many) will be left behind, as I'm now
using Me and would obviously move to XP or successor.  The other issue is
that this only will work for those applications that are smart enough to be
informed about or figure out where their data files have been moved.  What
about external backup?  If one is running regular complete backups, can't
the embedded data files be retrieved if ever needed?  (This asumes that they
have not been corrupted or destoyed [due to being in the same folders as the
application program] and backed up resulting in no good copy anywhere.)

0
xb77 (64)
9/13/2003 3:59:34 PM
Depends on the backup strategy. Many of us have all but given up trying to
backup data in the system tree due to the volume of it all--another reason
to get the data you care bout in a separate tree.

> "...when you go to migrate to a new machine will it be
> any easier to find all of this stuff than it is today?"
>
> No, however, some applications (maybe many) will be left behind, as I'm
now
> using Me and would obviously move to XP or successor.  The other issue is
> that this only will work for those applications that are smart enough to
be
> informed about or figure out where their data files have been moved.  What
> about external backup?  If one is running regular complete backups, can't
> the embedded data files be retrieved if ever needed?  (This asumes that
they
> have not been corrupted or destoyed [due to being in the same folders as
the
> application program] and backed up resulting in no good copy anywhere.)

How to create/embed table or existing Excel spreadsheet into Lotus Notes 6.5 email
I have been successful in creating and sending an email through Lotus Notes. However, I need to be able to format the body so that the message is more presentable. Currently, I filter a spreadsheet based on two named ranges and send an email to the SOX audit team member and copy the SOX control owner. I copy the values from selected columns on the visible rows and separate those values by tabs. However, the presentation is bad as the data is variable in length and therefore the alignment is not correct. I would like to learn how to create/embed either a table into the Lotus Notes email bo...

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

Problem trying to open old money file

OL 2003 .nk2 file clears on reboot
We have a client machine whose NK2 file is cleared on reboot. We have tried creating deleting the nk2 file to have OL create a new one, created a new OL profile with no luck. When we copied another users nk2 file to his directory and renamed it to his profile the data is picked up, but no new address are stored. outlook writes to the file when it closes - so it seems outlook is not closing correctly. is there a pda or an application using outlook data? if so, close it first. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? h...

amalgamating archive files
I have several archive files and I'd like to combine them into a single one. Is there a way to do this? Thanks. Howie ...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

If record Does Not Exist?
Hi I have a form in which i have two Text Fields name "TxtAccountNo" And "TxtPartyName". When a user enters the Account No. in text field, the form automatically pull the Party Name from the table "TblParties" Now i want that if the user enteres an Account no. that doesnot exist in "TblParties", then a msgbox must appear with a message. Thank you -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Are you using a combobox to pull the Party Name? If not, how? What is the code you are using? If in a combobox you can add a Not In Li...

Best file recovery program?
I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial have crippled to trial so much that it's really hard to judge them. Incidentally, I ran the free Recuva on a DVD-RW; I started it at 12:30 PM and at 5:30 AM (17 hours later) it showed 89% complete, and at 8:00 it had stopped with th...

using my Money 2005 file on two different computers
I use MS Money 2005 for my personal financle data. My Money file lives on my computer. I want to have my bookkeeper enter data into this file. I want to be able to have her work on the data from her computer which is networked to my computer. We have tried opening the file from her computer over the network with no sucess. We can see the file but the password does not work. We have tried burning the file to a CD but when we try to open the file from her computer we can get the password to work. The same thing that happens when we try to restore a backup on her computer. We tried usi...

EXCEL Files open Slow

Opening a second mdb file from an open mdb file
I have two mdb files (one used for general department use and the other for detailed reporting). For ease of maintenance, I'd like to keep these mdb files separate, but I would like to have the ability to open the second mdb file from the general dept Access program. Is there an exisitng macro or VBA code I could use to accomplish this task? Thanks for your help. Sure, you can easily just shell out to another app: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm or even create a hyperlink that opens the file. Just create a label, go to the property sheet and enter a path in the hype...

update many fields in a form from existing info.
I have 2 tables. One table stores various information about companies including company name, address, etc. The second table stores student names. In a form, I am able to enter mutiple student names into a memo field and, as of right now, type in the company name, address, etc. (it is not linked to the company name table at all). What I want to do is this: from the student add form, search the company table for a company based on partial name and/or zipcode, select one company from a possible 1 or more companies, and have the fields in the form automatically fill in - pulling the ...

ost file #2
My Exchange account was deleted from my Outlook today. All of my data is in the .ost file. Is there any way to recover the data into a .pst file? I am having trouble reinstalling the Exchange account. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. assuming that the ost is still attached to your profile, just start the computer with no network connection. Logon to your windows box like normal and then start Outlook. Go into offline mode and export to a pst. if the ost is no longer associated to a profile, copy it off somewhere for safe keeping and then try the following. create a n...