One money file, 2 computers

I am new to money.  I want to be able to access money both from work and at
home.  To facilitate this, I have a portable Hard Drive.  I installed money
to it at home, installed money to it at work (stoopid registry) pointed both
instances to a single money file.

Now, when I run it at home, everything is fine.  When I run it at work I get
a critical file is missing error.  I reinstall at work and everything is fine
again.  I go home and voila!  A critical file is missing error!  <grrr />

How do I skin this cat?
Is there a better way of doing this?
I won't be purchasing money until I can cleanly run it.

--
Keith ''StarPilot'' Barrows
ASPInsider

"Keith ''StarPilot'' Barrows"
> Now, when I run it at home, everything is fine.  When I run it at work I
> get
> a critical file is missing error.  I reinstall at work and everything is
> fine
> again.  I go home and voila!  A critical file is missing error!  <grrr />
>
> How do I skin this cat?
> Is there a better way of doing this?
> I won't be purchasing money until I can cleanly run it.
Just install money on both computers and restore from the backup
on the portable drive when you start money.

0
hawa (10)
2/17/2006 7:13:52 PM
I can't say exactly what's going on. But, from what you are trying to do, it
isn't entirely surprising that something would blow up. I don't know why you
blame the registry for this. The bottom line is that the application wasn't
designed to be installed and used this way. It's entirely possible the
different platforms actually result in the application installer installing
different stuff differently. The registry is just an enabling tool for a
design that had no requirement for an application installation to be
entirely self standing--indeed for lots of good reasons (that break in this
case) to encourage it not to be.

Install Money on the local drives of each machine, not the portable. Don't
try to move the application back and forth.

Store the Money data file on the portable machine. Move the data back and
forth.

"Keith ''StarPilot'' Barrows"
<KeithStarPilotBarrows@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am new to money.  I want to be able to access money both from work and
at
> home.  To facilitate this, I have a portable Hard Drive.  I installed
money
> to it at home, installed money to it at work (stoopid registry) pointed
both
> instances to a single money file.
>
> Now, when I run it at home, everything is fine.  When I run it at work I
get
> a critical file is missing error.  I reinstall at work and everything is
fine
> again.  I go home and voila!  A critical file is missing error!  <grrr />
>
> How do I skin this cat?
> Is there a better way of doing this?
> I won't be purchasing money until I can cleanly run it.

Actually, the app should be able to work this way.  The registry on each
machine is what enables the app to run in a windows environment.  Because of
the registry requirements, it has to be *installed* on each machine.  :)

What is the difference between installing on a external drive and an
internal drive?  E: is the same on both machines - the first partition on the
external drive.

It appears that the web service, or whatever E:\Tools\MSMoney
2006\MNYCoreFiles.NEW.{9D6EAA4F-27B2-4407-AC72-4BBD2FCB6ED1} is (it's not a
directory like explorer reports) is getting jacked.  When you run Money from
machine 1 it synchs up.  Go to machine 2 and run and it's broken.  Reinstall
and now machine 2 is synched up.  Go back to machine 1 and it's broken.

--

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> I can't say exactly what's going on. But, from what you are trying to do, it
> isn't entirely surprising that something would blow up. I don't know why you
> blame the registry for this. The bottom line is that the application wasn't
> designed to be installed and used this way. It's entirely possible the
> different platforms actually result in the application installer installing
> different stuff differently. The registry is just an enabling tool for a
> design that had no requirement for an application installation to be
> entirely self standing--indeed for lots of good reasons (that break in this
> case) to encourage it not to be.
>
> Install Money on the local drives of each machine, not the portable. Don't
> try to move the application back and forth.
>
> Store the Money data file on the portable machine. Move the data back and
> forth.
>
> "Keith ''StarPilot'' Barrows"
> <KeithStarPilotBarrows@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am new to money.  I want to be able to access money both from work and
> at
> > home.  To facilitate this, I have a portable Hard Drive.  I installed
> money
> > to it at home, installed money to it at work (stoopid registry) pointed
> both
> > instances to a single money file.
> >
> > Now, when I run it at home, everything is fine.  When I run it at work I
> get
> > a critical file is missing error.  I reinstall at work and everything is
> fine
> > again.  I go home and voila!  A critical file is missing error!  <grrr />
> >
> > How do I skin this cat?
> > Is there a better way of doing this?
> > I won't be purchasing money until I can cleanly run it.

OK.  Can I install to my internal drive and keep the Money File on the
external drive?  If so, that will be a fix that would work for my purposes.
At least it'll bypass the step of restoring everytime I open Money.  :)

--

In microsoft.public.money, Keith ''StarPilot'' Barrows wrote:

>OK.  Can I install to my internal drive and keep the Money File on the
>external drive?  If so, that will be a fix that would work for my purposes.
>At least it'll bypass the step of restoring everytime I open Money.  :)

You understand that what would be simpliest would be to install to
each C: drive and to have the data file on your portable drive?

Alternatively, you could try installing to the portable drive at
work and to the C: drive at home.

0
via_newsgroup (13115)
2/17/2006 8:25:41 PM
Why should it "be able to work this way" besides because you want it to?

> What is the difference between installing on a external drive and an
> internal drive?

Likely as not, other things in the machines environments like common or
shared components used by other applications on one machine or the other.
Whatever is providing interface{9D6EAA4F-27B2-4407-AC72-4BBD2FCB6ED1}is
probably installation specific according to difference between the two
machines. I.e., it points to an interface that needs a different
implementation in one environment and other. (I'm no OLE/COM expert, but
some of these are pointers to OTHER REGISTRY stuff that are, in turn,
pointers to shared components that may well be provided by other things like
IE and the rest of the OS. Likewise if Money installs any shared components,
it will put stuff in the registry in non-obvious places so that others can
use this stuff transparently.) Have you compared the files actually
installed? Assuming one or more of them doesn't, if you are really fixated
on moving the app to and fro (this seems the hard way to me) you might be
able to coerce this to work with some kind of scripted wrapper around Money
that fakes out the installation by moving file to and fro and even mucking
with the registry on the fly. But why? Surely the disk space in your
portable is more precious than in the machines you plug it into.

> The registry on each
> machine is what enables the app to run in a windows environment

It is entirely possible to build a windows app that runs in the Windows
environment and has no dependency on the registry whatsoever. Most people
don't choose to do so. Too much pain. Too little gain. Way too hard to make
an app that will work richly in all possible Win environments if you attempt
to do so.

> Actually, the app should be able to work this way.  The registry on each
> machine is what enables the app to run in a windows environment.  Because
of
> the registry requirements, it has to be *installed* on each machine.  :)
>
> What is the difference between installing on a external drive and an
> internal drive?  E: is the same on both machines - the first partition on
the
> external drive.
>
> It appears that the web service, or whatever E:\Tools\MSMoney
> 2006\MNYCoreFiles.NEW.{9D6EAA4F-27B2-4407-AC72-4BBD2FCB6ED1} is (it's not
> directory like explorer reports) is getting jacked.  When you run Money
from
> machine 1 it synchs up.  Go to machine 2 and run and it's broken.
Reinstall
> and now machine 2 is synched up.  Go back to machine 1 and it's broken.

Yes, it will work.
However I run into problem with external drives since they may have
different drive letters for each computer.
I have just noticed that I could not remove external drive until money is
out of mix and it does not actually die
until I use CAD.

> OK.  Can I install to my internal drive and keep the Money File on the
> external drive?  If so, that will be a fix that would work for my
> purposes.
> At least it'll bypass the step of restoring everytime I open Money.  :)

0
hawa (10)

can excel check one column against another
Hi. I have a spreadsheet with columns such as A, B, C, D, filled with numbers. Each row across such as row 1, then row 2, then row 3, etc of numbers is totaled in column E. Countless rows, each of which is totaled per row and then ends with a grand total at bottom of column E. Next comes columns F, G, H, also filled with numbers (but different numbers), which is totaled per row in Column I. At the bottom of Column I is a grand total. Even though arrived at using different sets of numbers, -both grand totals - in columns E and I must match. Sometimes they don't match. Ouch. So here is m...

Microsoft Money Plus -- Date Display in Account Registry
In one of those exasperating "tics" in a program where you say "It can't really work like that," but apparently it does, Microsoft Money Plus has a glitch when "matching" checks in one's check register with information downloaded from the bank: Money displays the date the check was written, and the date it cleared the bank. If one attempts to "accept" the matched transaction, Money then changes the "Date" displayed to the date the check *cleared* the bank, rather than the date written. This can be fixed manually, for each tran...

why crash in the second method of one interface
Hi, Using one class generated from *.tlb to call 2 methods of one COM. The strange thing is that I got one error of the "First-chance exception in : 0xC0000005: Access Violation" in the second method. I also use ASP web page to call both methods of this COM and both methods seems is OK. ITemplateManage mytemplate; if (!mytemplate.CreateDispatch("comobj.TemplateManage")) { IDE_Error::Report (ComError|1,"ComObj.TemplateManage in FUN_Template::Add()"); return false; } result = mytemplate.Check (templatefilename); decodeparameter=mytemplate.GetInfo (templ...

Duplicate Transactions, One When Pending, One When Posted
I'm sure this has been addressed, but I couldn't seem to find an answer searching: My problem is, a transaction occurs at my bank, and MM2K7 downloads the data for it. Once that transaction moves from "Pending" to "Posted" at my bank, the transaction data changes, so MM downloads it again. Sometimes I get a possible duplicate message from MM, sometimes I don't. What are people doing to handle this situation? Thank you. This is a problem with your bank, not with Money. Eventually they should fix it. Call them. In the meantime VOID the pending transacti...

MSR Credit Card Reader adds all the information on one line
Is there a way to get the CC reader to properly seperate the the acct # from the expiration date? When I swipe I currently get everything on the acct # line. Thanks in advance! What type of CC reader(MSR) to you have? Typically this is an issue with simply configuring the MSR. Rob "Steakum" wrote: > Is there a way to get the CC reader to properly seperate the the acct # from > the expiration date? When I swipe I currently get everything on the acct # > line. > > Thanks in advance! Its a IDTECH Minimag USB/Keyboard Interface Do I need to select the Wedge Key...

money 2005 #31
I am having problem with download received by money 2005 from a bank of mine. If I use quicken format It will complain form data format does not match the format on money file. If I use money 2005 format available form the bank, it says it cant load (...eh I forgot the exact wording) . It turns out if I save the file instead of opening the money 2005 format download, the bank sends me a .ofc file that look very much .ofx file to me I am having troubles with setting the format of money 2005 because I have 3 financial institutions using different settings and My pc has been set to usi...

grid off on one page
Is it possible to turn the grid off of only one page? thanks On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:37:11 -0600, "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote: >Is it possible to turn the grid off of only one page? Not really as it is a document wide setting.... however, there is workaround open the page shapesheet menu window -> Show shapesheet and set XGridSpacing and YGridSpacing to a large value. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. SSADM for Visio http://www.saadm.sandrila.co.uk/ On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:47:53 +0000, Paul Herber <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wro...

SMTP hang because of metabase.xml file
HI We have on numerous occasions received the following error in the System log on our Exchange SMTP Gateway servers: Event Type: Error Event Source: IIS Config Event Category: Catalog Event ID: 51228 User: N/A Computer: XXXXXXXXXX Description: An error occurred while saving the metabase file. This can happen when the metabase XML file is in use by another program, or if the disk is full. Check for corresponding events in the event log for more details. ErrorCode : 0x8007000E When the error is occuring the particular server queues all mail. To recover from the error we have...

Next Date given one date
At this time, I cannot use VBA. Here is my objective: For a given treasury note security: Cell A1, Date 6/17/2004 - today's date Cell A2, Date 7/15/1997 - first coupon date I want to identify the "previous coupon date" and "next coupon date" from today's date based on the frequency of the "first coupon date". Logically speaking: * Security pays 2 times each year * Based on first coupon date, pay dates are: 1/15 & 7/15 * Given today is 6/17/04, the next pay date is 7/15/04. * Given today is 6/17/04, the previous pay date is 1/15/04. Can this be...

Can't sync with Pocket Money 2004
For a long time, I have successfully synchronized Money 2004 with my Audiovox Maestro (running Pocket PC 2002). Today I decided to switch to a Toshiba e805 (running Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition). I have installed Pocket Money 2004 on it, but nevertheless ActiveSync refuses to let me synchronize my desktop Money file with the e805. ActiveSync lists Microsoft Money Data as a possible synchronization type, but WITH NO CHECKBOX! What's wrong? Try running salvage (repair) on the dataset on your desktop. -- Michael Gordon MVP "Lawrence G. Mayka" <lgmayka000@am...

How can I save embedded files as gifs
I use Outlook. When I try to save an embedded gif file by right click/save files I can only get the option to save a s BMP. How can I change this? Empty your Temporary Internet Files and try again. "Royalscotty" wrote: > I use Outlook. When I try to save an embedded gif file by right click/save > files I can only get the option to save a s BMP. How can I change this? ...

One to One relationship
I have an Events entity that is an offshoot from the Contacts entity. Basically, it tracks what events each contact has been invited to, and is used mainly by the Events Coordinator. I've set it up as a One (Contact) to Many (Events) relationship. However, I really only want one event form for each contact form. The reason I've set up a different entity rather than just adding a tab is that access to this entity needs to be tightly controlled. Obviously, if many events forms are created for the one contact, it would be very difficult to tell which one is accurate etc. Is it possibl...

route inbound email from ip to one folder
Is there a way to route any incoming email from a certain IP address to a single folder? Our company is receiving emails from a source that we do not wish to receive, and would like these email to be directed to a singe folder rather than blocking them. Any ideas? Thanks. you could send them to the turf dir... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245465 "daine" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11d501c4263d$f4d05110$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to route any incoming email from a certain > IP address to a single ...

Automatic Send/Receive doesn't work #2
I installed Outlook 2003 on my friend's computer (actually Office 2003) and all works well, except that he has to click "send/receive for him to receive any emails. It is set to do a send/receive every 5 minutes, as well as at exit Any ideas why this wouldn't work ? TIA JM It is difficult to determine why automatic polling is failing when you do not post your mail account type, connection type and polling settings. If automatic polling once worked and now fails, you also need to examine what changes were made to your setup before automatic polling stopped working. In...

One client (Server 2k8-R2/HyperV) will not sync with DPM
We have been running DPM successfully for about a year now without any major problems. Recently we added a new server - a fairly robust PowerEdge that will be housing 4 HyperV VMs. For whatever reason, I can't get anything but the HyperV "Initial Store" to sync correctly. I thought initially it might be a problem with the HyperV machines, but it also fails to back up a small directory of files on the host drive. The oddest part about this is I really don't get an error. It will try an initial sync and run for a day or two and show very minimal data tr...

Money 2006 Reinstallation Download Problem
I purchased Money 2006 via internet download sometime last year. Recently, I upgraded my computer to Vista, and am attempting to reinstall. Money installs successfully, and I'm able to log into passport to validate it. It then says it's downloading additional program files (for the added features not in the base/trial install). If I try to access any of these features (e.g. Cash Flow), a download progress meter is shown. Initially, the progress meter climbs from 0 to 100%, but then it jumps back to 1% and stays there. This is true whether running the program as an administr...

Y Axis Labels #2
I have a chart that is listed weeks against a score, ie: Week 1 2 Week 2 5 Week 3 1 and so on. The numbers however refer to a word, ie: Week 1 2 Bad Week 2 5 Very Good Week 3 1 Very Bad When i chart it i chart against the numbers to make sure it works but i need the Y-Axis labels to look against the words. Any ideas? -- chalky ------------------------------------------------------------------------ chalky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23758 View this thread: http://www.ex...

Money 2004 convert from Quicken 2003
even though I validate my quicken 2003 file and the logs show absolutely no errors, moeny refuse to import data and convert my quicken file over. I'm interested in possibly converting, but it has to convert. Any help?? Thanks in advance. The message money 2004 gives is corruptedd quicken file. In microsoft.public.money, Eric wrote: >even though I validate my quicken 2003 file and the logs >show absolutely no errors, moeny refuse to import data >and convert my quicken file over. I'm interested in >possibly converting, but it has to convert. Any help?? >T...

See more than one tab at a time
I would like to be able to see more than one Tab at a time in Excel. Currently I'm able to see two Tabs from different worksheets, but not two or more tabs from the same worksheet On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:57:03 -0700, "rocky59" <rocky59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to be able to see more than one Tab at a time in Excel. >Currently I'm able to see two Tabs from different worksheets, but not two or >more tabs from the same worksheet That would be because each tab represents a single worksheet. Clicking on the tab would move you from where ...

Converting Claris Impact files (old Apple files) to M'soft Visio"
Hello I understand the the best way to access old Claris Impact files are to convert using m'soft visio. I'm completely new to this application & will be grateful if anyone can take me throughm the process of doing this. I've had a look at the Versiontracker website on salvaging claris impact files but I couldn't work out how it could help me! I really need some step by step help. I've got Visio 2007 installed on my XP Pro computer Many thanks Perhaps this link might help: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Orbital+Successfully+Completes+File+Converter+to+Allow+Cla...

mporting multiple text files into Excel with corresponding filenames
Dear members, I need to import 100+ text files into Excel. In addition I want Excel to show corresponding filename (where the data comes from) in each row. How do I accomplish this? TIA Hi Take a look at Ron de Bruin's site. He has lots of code examples to consolidate files. http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm -- Regards Roger Govier "avi" <avi38521@gmail.com> wrote in message news:9194d7dc-21bb-4fd9-8ecb-aa301a54f7d1@b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com... > Dear members, > > I need to import 100+ text files into Excel. > > In addition ...

Exchange 5.5 - One Organization
Hello - I am having a problem that I would like some more information on. I have One Organization (5.5) and 16 Sites (5.5) and would like to know why I can't stop the other sites from sending mail through me. If I can, I would like to know how. Thanks for any help. what do you mean by "sending mail through me"? What mail? Internet email? Does each site have its own Internet Mail Service? Or is your site kind of the "hub" where all Internet email comes in and goes out? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "dave.mudgett" <davemudgett@discussions.microsoft....

Why Would You Lose Sound On One User
WXP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 3 with all current updates Dell Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80Ghz 2.79Ghz, 512 MB RAM System has three users all with admin rights - User 1(primary - me), User 2 (wife), and System Admin. (which I made visible on desktop). I (User 1) have lost sound when attempting to play CD's, and other audio files using WMP 11, however, I can still hear system sounds. User 2 and System Admin. still have full sound. System restore does not help ( in this case I only had a restore point from 5 days ago. Any thoughts? -- Skeeter "Old age and ...

Does MS Money lose functionality
I have used Quicken for many years. However, they have a policy of the program losing some of its functionality after two years. Does MS Money do the same thing? Thanks. Short answer is yes. Long answer is still basically yes. Money would probably not have done it if Quicken hadn't done it first. Of course, if Quicken hadn't done it, it might have sped up Microsoft's timetable to exit the business. The better current question is will there be any alternatives to the functionality going away completely? In the recent past, users have gotten around this by buying the new ve...