New Account for CD

I bought a CD and don't know how to set it up in Money (using Money Plus
H&B).  When I tried setting it up as a bank savings account there was a note
that said I should set it up as an investment account.  When I set up the
investment account it does not ask me any questions about the CD or even if
it is a CD.  What am I missing.  It seems like it should be a savings account.

Please help me?
0
neil154 (103)
9/25/2008 3:08:01 AM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

A Savings Account can be used. If you only ever intend to have one CD at a
time, that's probably easier.

But if you want to manage multiple individual CDs over time, then the
Investment Account is probably a better answer. But an Investment Account is
just half the problem.

Investment Accounts hold Investments. You need to define Investments and
then enter transactions that Buy, Sell, Redeem, etc., units of the
Investment. In your case, say, you are buying 1 unit of a $10,000 6 month
HappyBank CD. The Investment in this case is defined as a $10,000 6 month
HappyBank CD. You enter a Buy transaction somewhere (see below) for 1 unit
of this investment at $10,000 to be held in the Investment Account.

If you have the Investment Account defined and you transferred money into
the CD from another account, here's what you do. In the Money Account where
the money came from, enter a transaction with the special category "Buy
Investment / CD". This is like a Transfer in that it will ask for the name
of the Investment Account where this Investment is held. Then it will ask
for you to define the Investment. That's where you describe the Investment.
In the case of a CD, there isn't much to define. But the same model, more or
less, is used for mutual funds, stocks, and bonds.

See if that helps the "light bulb moment" arrive. If not, you might want to
look in online help for CD or in the sample file. Or post back with more
questions.

"neil154" <neil154@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a CD and don't know how to set it up in Money (using Money Plus
> H&B).  When I tried setting it up as a bank savings account there was a
> note
> that said I should set it up as an investment account.  When I set up the
> investment account it does not ask me any questions about the CD or even
> if
> it is a CD.  What am I missing.  It seems like it should be a savings
> account.
>
> Please help me?

I guess I was expecting something different.  I expected that I would be able
to input the cd term and interest rate.  I believe I understand what you are
saying but it seems no different that just making an investment account (or
savings account) and then adding the amount of the CD in the cash portion of
the account.  The only differences between the investment account and the
saving account appears to be able to handle multiple CDs.

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> A Savings Account can be used. If you only ever intend to have one CD at a
> time, that's probably easier.
>
> But if you want to manage multiple individual CDs over time, then the
> Investment Account is probably a better answer. But an Investment Account is
> just half the problem.
>
> Investment Accounts hold Investments. You need to define Investments and
> then enter transactions that Buy, Sell, Redeem, etc., units of the
> Investment. In your case, say, you are buying 1 unit of a $10,000 6 month
> HappyBank CD. The Investment in this case is defined as a $10,000 6 month
> HappyBank CD. You enter a Buy transaction somewhere (see below) for 1 unit
> of this investment at $10,000 to be held in the Investment Account.
>
> If you have the Investment Account defined and you transferred money into
> the CD from another account, here's what you do. In the Money Account where
> the money came from, enter a transaction with the special category "Buy
> Investment / CD". This is like a Transfer in that it will ask for the name
> of the Investment Account where this Investment is held. Then it will ask
> for you to define the Investment. That's where you describe the Investment.
> In the case of a CD, there isn't much to define. But the same model, more or
> less, is used for mutual funds, stocks, and bonds.
>
> See if that helps the "light bulb moment" arrive. If not, you might want to
> look in online help for CD or in the sample file. Or post back with more
> questions.
>
> "neil154" <neil154@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I bought a CD and don't know how to set it up in Money (using Money Plus
> > H&B).  When I tried setting it up as a bank savings account there was a
> > note
> > that said I should set it up as an investment account.  When I set up the
> > investment account it does not ask me any questions about the CD or even
> > if
> > it is a CD.  What am I missing.  It seems like it should be a savings
> > account.
> >
> > Please help me?

0
neil154 (103)
9/25/2008 3:48:13 AM
You **can input the term and rate** when defining the Investment. But Money
won't do much with this information besides display it here and there. It
won't use it to automagically reinvest or anything like that.

An Investment Account with an Investment Cash Account and no Investments is
just a lot more headache than a Savings Account.

There are other differences between the Investment Account and the Savings
Accounts besides handling multiple CDs. Things like reporting and ability to
handle different Investment types/vehicles, etc. But, again, if all you are
doing is CDs and you aren't very interested in things like performance
comparisons of the yield of various CDs, then, yes, a Savings Account is
easier and no loss.

>I guess I was expecting something different.  I expected that I would be
>able
> to input the cd term and interest rate.  I believe I understand what you
> are
> saying but it seems no different that just making an investment account
> (or
> savings account) and then adding the amount of the CD in the cash portion
> of
> the account.  The only differences between the investment account and the
> saving account appears to be able to handle multiple CDs.

Here's another difference (again, only relevant if you will hold multiple
CDs): IF you have them setup as Investments, you can keep track of when they
come up for renewal and so forth. If you did this with a Savings Account and
multiple CDs, all you'd have is one balance and the mix of CDs and rates and
maturity dates and so on would be completely washed out of the data you can
see in Money.

"neil154" <neil154@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> it seems no different that just making an investment account (or
> savings account) and then adding the amount of the CD in the cash portion
> of
> the account

Another thing you may be missing: the Investment Account need not even have
a Cash Account. They KEY is that what gets in the Investment Account is
Investments. You don't just transfer the cash to the Investment Account. You
Buy some number of units of a defined Investment in the Investment Account.
The transaction acts as, effectively, a conversion of the money from one
unit of valuation--dollars--to another--shares of an Investment.

Dick,

Thanks for the information.  You are right that Money really does nothing
with the term and rate.  I use the lifetime planner extensively and was
expecting that Money would consided the rate of the CD in the lifetime
planner but no matter what term and rate I put in the lifetime planner shows
the same projection.

Again, thanks for your guidance.

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> Here's another difference (again, only relevant if you will hold multiple
> CDs): IF you have them setup as Investments, you can keep track of when they
> come up for renewal and so forth. If you did this with a Savings Account and
> multiple CDs, all you'd have is one balance and the mix of CDs and rates and
> maturity dates and so on would be completely washed out of the data you can
> see in Money.
>
> "neil154" <neil154@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > it seems no different that just making an investment account (or
> > savings account) and then adding the amount of the CD in the cash portion
> > of
> > the account

0
neil154 (103)
9/25/2008 4:19:01 AM
neil154 wrote:
> Thanks for the information.  You are right that Money really
> does
> nothing with the term and rate.  I use the lifetime planner
> extensively and was expecting that Money would consided the
> rate of
> the CD in the lifetime planner but

> no matter what term and rate I put
> in the lifetime planner shows the same projection.

How would that work?

CD's have maturity dates.  When the CD matures (almost certainly
before you die; for many people, many years before they even
retire), what are the odds you'd be able to replace the matured
CD with another CD with the same rate and same number of months
to maturity ... and to do that for every maturity until you die.

If you invest in CD's, you're likely to own many different CD's
with many different rates and maturities over your lifetime.
For a planner to arbitrarily choose the rate/maturity of some CD
you currently own wouldn't provide a very reliable estimate for
your whole life.

I think planners, like the lifetime planner, want you to give
them the overall percentage growth you expect for your lifetime,
or for the length of your retirement; then they'll apply that
rate to all your "investments".

--

John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com

0
invalid460 (432)
9/25/2008 1:06:30 PM
Schwab uses the Bond (Other) category for CDs.    That way the maturity date,
rate, etc can be inserted.   Although confusing, a $10,000 CD is 10,000 units
at $100 each, rather than the expected $1.00 each.    It works nicely in an
Investment account situation.
0
ameridan (38)
9/26/2008 4:49:02 PM
In microsoft.public.money, ameridan wrote:

>Schwab uses the Bond (Other) category for CDs.    That way the maturity date,
>rate, etc can be inserted.   Although confusing, a $10,000 CD is 10,000 units

Did you maybe mean 100 units?

>at $100 each, rather than the expected $1.00 each.    It works nicely in an
>Investment account situation.
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
9/26/2008 6:38:34 PM
That is what you'd think, but if you try it you'll see what I mean.   When I
first entered manually I used 10,000 units at $1.00 each, but that doesn't
work.  It's almost as if they mean 100% , rather than $100 each.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, ameridan wrote:
>
> >Schwab uses the Bond (Other) category for CDs.    That way the maturity date,
> >rate, etc can be inserted.   Although confusing, a $10,000 CD is 10,000 units
>
> Did you maybe mean 100 units?
>
> >at $100 each, rather than the expected $1.00 each.    It works nicely in an
> >Investment account situation.

0
ameridan (38)
9/27/2008 2:47:02 PM
In microsoft.public.money, ameridan wrote:

>That is what you'd think, but if you try it you'll see what I mean.   When I
>first entered manually I used 10,000 units at $1.00 each, but that doesn't
>work.  It's almost as if they mean 100% , rather than $100 each.

It sounds as if you set this up as a Bond, where the Price is indeed
in percent. That's how bond prices are quoted.

>"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, ameridan wrote:
>>
>> >Schwab uses the Bond (Other) category for CDs.    That way the maturity date,
>> >rate, etc can be inserted.   Although confusing, a $10,000 CD is 10,000 units
>>
>> Did you maybe mean 100 units?
>>
>> >at $100 each, rather than the expected $1.00 each.    It works nicely in an
>> >Investment account situation.

0
via_newsgroup (13113)

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Default properties for new folders

Dynamics CRM-Accounting Pro 2007
Why is there not a connector for CRM to Account Pro 2007? Especially since there is one from CRM to business contact manager?! I thought microsofts big plan was to integrate everything, yet these two softwares, which would seem like a perfect fit to me, do not even talk to each other. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Ne...

New Email Messages

New Location/New setup

How do I activate the new mail button

Style available all sheets new or old

Mass Delete of Accounts
We seem to have thousands of accts that were added that have had no activity and I would like to mass delete them (without SQL, if possible). I did a query between GL30000 and GL00100 pulling in all accts from GL0100 where there were no records in GL30000 which was a lot. I also filted on accts created before the beginning of the year. I know about Mass Modify and the ability to delete; but there isn't any rhyme or reason to the population of accts so that really isn't an option. Is there any way via Integration manager or something similar where I can delete these old, unused acct...

Adding new pages

Send/Receive option doesn't work with Hotmail account
How do I setup outlook 2003 for automatic send/receive e-mails for hotmail account. Send/Receive groups is already schedule for automatic send/receive every 2 minutes and Inbox folder set for download headers only but it does not work with Hotmail account. Is there third party software that I can use to send/receive automatically E-mails? Note: Just reinstalled completely and updated Windows XP sp2 and Microsoft office 2003 from scratch and the same problem. Send should be automatically with hotmail. Note that you are just viewing a copy of the mailbox, so it may refresh only wh...

New messages comes up in Deleted folder

New User has admin rights

Downloading mails from 2 different pop3 internet mail accounts
I have configured 2 pop3 internet mail accts with different user name but with identical mail server. I made one acct as default acct. But I am receiving mails from non default acct also. I need a solution to receive mails from 1 acct at one time and also to defferent personal folders. "afn" <farhana@internationalconcepts.net> wrote in message news:288f01c3e0fc$857abde0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have configured 2 pop3 internet mail accts with > different user name but with identical mail server. I > made one acct as default acct. But I am receiving mails > ...

Creating new row in other table
Dear All, Please teach me, how to make a new row/list in other table by entering number in other table. Sample, In the table A and in the field "Details", I put the number 2 and it automatically creates two rows in table B. Can this be done in MS Access? Thank you for your help. Regards, Maulwy Why? What business need are you attempting to solve with this approach? It's generally considered not very good database design to be creating 'empty' rows in a second table. Why do you want empty rows? And if the number you enter in TableA is a 'limit&...

How to script user account?
Hi there, My company switch our email system to another company. because of that we need to add to the username in outlook 2003 change from username to username@mycompany.com (just add the @mycompany.com to the username) And the SMTP port from 111 to 110 (default port) Is there any way to create a vbs script that change this registry configuration When the user click on that file it will automatically modify these two parameters? we have about 150 users in 4 different states and it's very difficult to do it manually Thanks an advance Oded Dror ...

Remove entities from account card
Which is the easiest way to remove quote, order and invoice from the accountcard in the menu to the left? The easiest, and supported, way is to remove permissions to those entities. The unsupported way is to use client script in the form's onload event -- David Jennaway - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http://www.excitation.co.uk "Martin" wrote: > Which is the easiest way to remove quote, order and invoice from the > accountcard in the menu to the left? ...

AP
What would be the best tool to add a new field in the AP invoice screen to deploy to a client? Extender? Modifier? the ideal would be to add a field for "Job No." that is text info so the user can get some info out on certain jobs that they are paying bills for. thanks -- Linda W. Linda, You can use any tool, really, to accomplish this: - Modifier with VBA. You can add the fields to the window with Modifier, then use VBA and ADO or DUOS to store and retrieve the data. - Modifier with Dexterity. You can add the fields with Modifier, then trigger off the form with Dex...

Button "New Account" in Sub-Accountsview opens Parent account
When I open an account, and then go to the subaccounts of that account, I click on the Button "New Account" to create a new subaccount for this account. Instead of opening a new account form, the application opens the original Account form. Anybody an idea how this is possible? Regards, Sanne groenhof -- MSCRM, hosted as ASP, and configured for your business. Sanne, Have you installed any specific toolbars in your Internet Explorer? Like google toolbar/msn toolbar? -- Rob Bakkers, Avanade Netherlands "Sanne" wrote: > When I open an account, and then go to...

new to old
hi, A web designing company has just done us a website, and part of it includes the database of our stock. They have written/created it on access xp, but we have only got and old version of access. Can we open/use/update files written in access xp on an older version of access? thanks very much jethro Hi Jethro, It depends. By default Access 2002 (XP) uses the Access 2000 file format, so if you have Access 2000 you may be able to use the database as is. However, if the database is in the form of an mde file created by Access 2002 it will be in Access 2002 format. Otherwise (i.e. if t...