My experiences with Quicken so far

I just converted MSMoney (latest version) to Quicken 2010 Premium, and
so far I have been happy with the results.  Here are my thoughts:
1. Conversion went very well. I did both types of repair on my Money
file before I started, just in case. I have about 12 years of
transactions.  Nothing was found.  When I first did the convert, some
balances were messed up.  But a very detailed log existed, and I saw
that it noted how quite a few accounts had their name truncated, and
additionally a lot of account names were duplicates. What happened is
all my investments has Cash Contribution accounts, and Money names them
as default Cash Contribution with a number as I recall.  Whatever the
standard default name, by truncating and then trying to use, the names
all conflicted and the convert got messed up.  So I went into Money and
renamed them all to more meaningful names, re-ran the convert (easy to
do), and all my accounts balanced to the penny! I did do some of the
other stuff people mentioned, most notably like making my IRA account
non-retirement. For what I do that made no difference to me.
2. In general the download of transactions is much quicker. Some Yodlee
accounts I downloaded infrequently because the time was long; Quicken is
very fast. My only problem is that I can create an account for Sears
Credit card, but it errs on every attempt to download transactions.  We
don't use Sears much so I may just close the account.  That'll show 'em :-)
3. I like the Money reports better, but I am thinking all I want to do
is close to available in Quicken, I just have a learning curve. One
problem, the cost basis/gain-loss on my investments is way off in
Quicken vs. Money.  At some point here soon, I will work with a blank
file and try through data entry to figure out which is right.  I am
actually not sure Money is correct, but this is the only problem of any
substance I see right now.
4. I have done bill pay through my own bank, and it works good. Note
this, most of the bills I still pay in Money, and when I submit a future
payment it does in fact drop a transaction into my checking the next
time I download from Quicken! Very cool.
5. I have been getting updates etc. for about a week, things still
balanced to the penny.
6. The UI stinks, but it's mostly because stuff is just randomly thrown
on menus or buttons somewhere!  They just threw functions on the screen
they did not think about how someone would use it.  That said, the
product seems to have a lot of nice functions that Money does not, it is
clear to me the difference between a product that continues to be
enhanced, and one that really has not had any enhanced functionality for
what, 4-5 years?

Note I do not do any budgeting or planning in either product, so YMMV. I
just use transactions, data entry, reconciliations, and investments.

I plan to run in parallel for awhile, eventually I will kill MSMoney and
move on.

I'll post more as I learn more. To me without question this is the
safest route for deserted Money users. I just can't see using an
unsupported product for my finances, you may feel different...
0
at1 (28)
11/6/2009 8:53:56 PM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

It's good to hear you feel comfortable with Quicken.

"Dominick" <at@yourservice.com> wrote in message

I just can't see using an unsupported product for my finances, you may feel
different...

***************************

It seems to me this community divides into two groups, one of which craves
'support' and the other which lives happily without it. I'm happy without.

But at least all of us keep our financial data on our own machines. I am
certain the people who are really going to catch a cold, some day, are those
who choose to keep their financial records online - on some external server
which might 'leak' or break down. If it could happen, it will happen.

teabag

0
nobody3086 (71)
11/7/2009 9:57:42 AM
Thanks Dominick for the feedback, I am following in your footsteps.  I
purchased Quicken 2010 and am waiting for a good opportunity to do the
conversion.  When I have done so, I'll post my thoughts as well before I
leave this newsgroup (barring unforseen circumstances with Quicken).

-- John

> [...]
> menus or buttons somewhere!  They just threw functions on the screen they
> did not think about how someone would use it.  That said, the product
> seems to have a lot of nice functions that Money does not, it is clear to
> me the difference between a product that continues to be enhanced, and one
> that really has not had any enhanced functionality for what, 4-5 years?
>
> Note I do not do any budgeting or planning in either product, so YMMV. I
> just use transactions, data entry, reconciliations, and investments.
>
> I plan to run in parallel for awhile, eventually I will kill MSMoney and
> move on.
>
> I'll post more as I learn more. To me without question this is the safest
> route for deserted Money users. I just can't see using an unsupported
> product for my finances, you may feel different...

John4384 (87)
11/9/2009 2:34:36 PM
Amen, me too. However, as I posted earlier this week on new thread(no
replies), I'm still using Money '06 & apparently somehow still getting stock
price updates. In fear that will really stop I downloaded the Money plus free
trial & only saved the file, but have not yet run. Will do that when I'm sure
I need or want to convert to Quicken 2010 purchased boxed version on Cyber
Monday deal from Amazon.

"JohnA" wrote:

> [...]
> > menus or buttons somewhere!  They just threw functions on the screen they
> > did not think about how someone would use it.  That said, the product
> > seems to have a lot of nice functions that Money does not, it is clear to
> > me the difference between a product that continues to be enhanced, and one
> > that really has not had any enhanced functionality for what, 4-5 years?
> >
> > Note I do not do any budgeting or planning in either product, so YMMV. I
> > just use transactions, data entry, reconciliations, and investments.
> >
> > I plan to run in parallel for awhile, eventually I will kill MSMoney and
> > move on.
> >
> > I'll post more as I learn more. To me without question this is the safest
> > route for deserted Money users. I just can't see using an unsupported
> > product for my finances, you may feel different...

OK I have been using Quicken 2010 for about a month now, still running
in parallel with MSMoney.  My accounts still balance to the penny. New
stuff:

1. I am very happy with account download. It is more reliable than
MSMoney and much quicker.
2. The biggest reports I use in MSMoney are investment racking reports
and Category spending reports.  Categories match MSMoney, with one
exception.  In some cases, like refunds etc., I have for years still
posted these to expense accounts.  MSMoney never, as far as I could
tell, used those amounts in reports.  Quicken does.  So if I spend $100
on Clothes, then return them for $100, MSMoney reports $0 in Category
spending. Quicken reports $0.  I am happy with that.
3. Also, I reported last time it looked like costs were messed up in my
investment reports. On closer analysis, they were not - they matched to
the penny.  I thought costs were wrong because the net gain/loss
position on the reports was way off, worse in Quicken. I come to find
out MSMoney reports Gains that include capital gain and dividend
distributions for mutual funds (most of what I Have), the report I was
looking at in Quicken showed just the true gain/loss based on average
cost of what I own. Once I realized that, I was able to customize a
report to show both gain/loss and income distributions, and then report
the ROI % which matches the return % reported in Money.  The Quicken
report also allows me to report on more Indexes, like NASDAQ and Russell
2000, while Money only reports S&P 500 and DJ.  So I have duplicated the
reports I use, and they are fine.  The MSMoney reports have more
flexibility for things like sorting, some types of removing data, but
the Quicken reports are really fine and I have found any weaknesses are
cosmetic ones I can live without for now -- all my data needs are being met.
4. I have done Bill Pay, Transfers, and now use reminders and pay from
them in Quicken. The update then comes down into MSMoney, and I just
skips the bill occurrence for this time in MSMoney. So all that works fine.
5. UI is a little worse; for example, to add an ATM transaction in money
is 8 keystrokes for me, it's about 14-15 in Quicken. Worse, not as clean
a UI, but not a big problem.
6. The Sears download problem I reported below went away, then came
back, then went away.  I did actually close the account, I really think
this was a Sears problem.
7. 3 patches have come out for Quicken 2010 so far, the last one about 3
weeks ago.  That's since about what, August or September? That's nice to
see the support.

So overall I am happy and will likely move off of MSMoney after I get
through tax season, to see if anything else crops up. It's nice to be on
a package where the vendor plans to do legitimate updates of the product
again, I can look forward to improvements!

refrigman55 wrote:
> [...]
>>> menus or buttons somewhere!  They just threw functions on the screen they
>>> did not think about how someone would use it.  That said, the product
>>> seems to have a lot of nice functions that Money does not, it is clear to
>>> me the difference between a product that continues to be enhanced, and one
>>> that really has not had any enhanced functionality for what, 4-5 years?
>>>
>>> Note I do not do any budgeting or planning in either product, so YMMV. I
>>> just use transactions, data entry, reconciliations, and investments.
>>>
>>> I plan to run in parallel for awhile, eventually I will kill MSMoney and
>>> move on.
>>>
>>> I'll post more as I learn more. To me without question this is the safest
>>> route for deserted Money users. I just can't see using an unsupported
>>> product for my finances, you may feel different...

0
at1 (28)

Experiment with frontpage
Hi, I am creating an experiment and I would like users to continue to the next page when hitting the submit button on a form. I've tried making the next page the confirmation page for the previous page but that doesn't seem to work. Do I need a frames page? Here's the link to the first page: http://www24.homepage.villanova.edu/kelly.madden/Page1.htm In Form properties on page1.htm, change the confirmation page from http://www24.homepage.villanova.edu/kelly.madden/Page2.demographicquestions.htm to Page2.demographicquestions.htm.htm But a better method would be to ...

Compare MM Portfolio Mgr functionts to similar Quicken 2010 Premie
Has anyone compared the functions within MM Plus Deluxe Portfolio Manager to similar functions within Quicken 2010 Premier. I use the Portfolio manager within MM to track options, stock and dividends and export related tax stock and option sales into TaxCut. On Nov 6, 1:25=A0pm, Paul <P...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Has anyone compared the functions within MM Plus Deluxe Portfolio Manager= to > similar functions within Quicken 2010 Premier. I use the Portfolio manage= r > within MM to track options, stock and dividends and export related tax st= ock > and optio...

Gift Registry Experience?
Does anyone have any actual experience implementing a gift registry add-on? I know New West has a wireless "Work Order" solution and Orlando Business Solutions has a module. Just wondered if anyone has actually installed a package and what your experience is. And also your thoughts of batch v. wireless. Thanks for your time and knowledge. Kinnard Kinnard L. Kohler Business Machines Systems 6101 South Shackleford Road Little Rock, AR 72204-8606 (T) 501-375-8380 (F) 501-375-0043 (Cell) 501-412-5686 Email: kinnard...@bmsar.com Hi Kinnard: We are an RMS Partner and have de...

your TLS experience??
Your experience using TLS with Exchange 2003 SP2? Our environment: 2 Exchange 2003SP2 front-end servers which facilitate OWA (SSL and *TLS-enabled) 2 back-end Exchange 2003SP2 clusters Our SMTP connector routes all outbound messages via our FE (bridgehead servers) to FrontBridge (spam & queuing service - which claims to support TLS) incoming messages are routed via FrontBridge (as in the MX value) My predecessor installed a certificate on the front-end servers which allegedly supports SSL and *TLS some questions: 1. is an x.509 cert required? 2. what happens to a TLS-enabled...

Any Experience with Bank One Online Bill Pay?
I just signed up for Bank One Online Bill Pay, after hearing that a recent service upgrade allowed much tighter integration with MS Money and other finance softwares. However, when I try to set up my account for making an electronic payment and get the set up online provider screen, I am met with only two choices: MSN Bill Pay or CheckFree (existing customers only). Does anyone know how I can use Bank One's online bill payment with MS Money? Preferably, I'd like to be able to receive the e-bills and other features. I hope that this is not only available to MSN Bill Pay. Th...

Hosting experience or recommendation
Anyone have positive/negative experience to share or recommendations for CRM 3 hosting vendors? ...

Creating account names from money to quicken
Im looking for a previous post about creating the Money's account names in excel to export to quicken. Does anyone remember where this is? Don't recall the post, but it ain't rocket science: Create an Advanced Report "Account balances With details" customized: Rows & Columns: select all except Abbreviation Account: all including closed accounts Export to Excel. Done. "barcrofter" wrote: > Im looking for a previous post about creating the Money's account > names in excel to export to quicken. Does anyone remember where this > is? > A...

Need to Transfer Files Between Money and Quicken
I've got an interesting problem here. I need to transfer files between Money 2002 and Quicken Premium 2004. The first four attempts at having Quicken read exported QIF files has been a disaster. Quicken is absolutely no help. Their built-in help is referring me to webpages that don't exist. There is supposed to be a tool to convert the file format, but the fine print says it is for converting between previous versions of Quicken and Quicken 2004, but it "may work" for converting Money files. A Quicken guru says I need to export Money files to XML in order to bring the files i...

Design with no experience
Hi There, I have no experience with access, so please let me know if this task is too big. Is it feasible for me to develop a databse for my private music students that tracks and reports on the following: Contact Info Individual and overall Attendance Individual and overall Payments Material covered in each lesson Cheers! That REALLY depends...! Here are four areas I suggest folks understand if they intend to build an application in Access: 1. Normalization & relational database design 2. Access tips/tricks 3. Graphical user interface design ...

Converting From Quicken 2007
I tried Q2007 deluxe and didn't like it. I've purchased Money 2007 Deluxe and it will be delivered Friday. MS's Money site said I could convert .QDF files through 2006 into MS Money 2007. If that's literally true will I be unable to convert my .QDF file from Q 2007? Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, Irish wrote: >I tried Q2007 deluxe and didn't like it. I've purchased Money 2007 Deluxe and >it will be delivered Friday. MS's Money site said I could convert .QDF files >through 2006 into MS Money 2007. If that's literally true will I be unable to ...

Quicken, Vista, and non Admin Users
Is there anyone out there that is running Quicken using Vista,as a non-admin user, and running Quicken without using "Run As" "administrator"? If so, can you offer any comments about how Quicken functions under those those conditions? Specifically: Are you aware of any problems that occur when you fail to "run as administrator" when you run Quicken? Any other observations that you believe are linked to Quicken running under Vista and not running as "THE" administrator? [Fot those who are not aware: "THE" administrator in Windows is n...

Bad user experience for Outlook 2010
In the new Office 2010 PRO, I have met many problems. Microsoft needs to improve Office 2010 user experience. Here are my complains. 1. Ribbon interface is the only choice. You cannot get back to the old interface. For many business people changes are a disaster. Not everyone can spend months to adopt a new system. Where is my Printer Preview icon? Where is my recall function? I cannot waste time to find the new function or learn the new interface. I want the old interface back. 2. Nonsense message box. When I close an opened attachment file in a message without any change, why do I...

Kudos on the Quicken R3 Converasion Utility
People rarely take the time to acknowledge when something is done well. I'd like to thank the folks at Quicken (and Microsoft) for coming up with a great conversion utility. I know I'm likely to get flamed for this - but hear me out. I ran the conversion on a Money file that goes back to 2000 (and before for some investment accounts). I, like many, had an imperfect conversion. Numerous records were dropped. However, I inspected the items dropped and found an important fact: I had used these transactions incorrectly. All were cases where Money allowed me to create a tra...

any partners in Canberra with experience in CRM?
Can you pass my name on to someone that has local experience and technical staff here - I have a sale for them! Judy Gleeson Acorn Training and Consulting (02) 6231 9450 M: 0417 485 327 ...

how to design Experience Certificate
hiii dear friends i am working at Travel agency where i have designed the software in Ms Access and i am operating that software my task is to Enter Data in a form and then i use Action Queries for various purposes and Reports , Pivot Table etc. that software really help the Travel agency work so easy. but now i want to have another job and they have asked about my Experience Certificate + CV , but i am confuse who to design an Excellent Experience Certificate that can help me in getting the new job. i don't know how to experss myself in that experience certificate ? for more i...

Converting Quicken 2003 Premier to Money 2003 Deluxe
I just acquired MS Money 2003 and wish to convert my Quicken 2003 files to Money. Money says that I need to use an older version of Quicken to make the conversion. I do not use or have previous versions of Quicken. All previous versions were converted to 2003. Is there anything I can do but discard Money 2003? Export everything you can in QIF, import it all into Money and then try to pick up the pieces. It won't work terribly well and will leave lots of data behind. M04 will be Real Cheap Real Soon Now. At $20 or less, it seems that discarding M03 for M04 (or M05 at maybe $40...

M08 to Quicken 2010 Conversion
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01CA94A0.7F89DCA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I recently imported my Money 2008 into Quicken 2010 (R4) and the import = worked well without any issues. =20 However, I noticed that 401K accounts that are imported from Money have = the ability to have a separate Cash account associated with the = "investment account". This replicates how Money manages the = investment/401K accounts. But, if a 401K account is created from = s...

Add2Exchange experience?
I have been searching back through the various exchange groups looking for some feedback on this product. I have found a ton of posts that recommend or suggest the product, but none from anyone actually using it. For those that have it installed and are actively using it, can you provide some info (good/bad) on your experience? Thanks. "Harkin" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message news:e988aa$kel$1@news.iquest.net... >I have been searching back through the various exchange groups looking > for some feedback on this product. I have found a ton of posts that > recommend...

Performance Experiences
Hi, Just after some feedback re: single server crm 3.0 setup vs dedicated sql/report server & front end. Currently I have an SQL 2005 box w/ Reporting Services containing the metabase + mscrm databases, a separate box for the CRM Website/front-end, then the DC + exchange server on a separate box further to that. We've got a about 20,000 records currently in CRM 3.0. Not large by any means - but we're finding performance for end-users either through the Outlook Client (desktop, not laptop) or through the browser interface is lacking. I know MS have now released the Optimis...

Quicken 2004
Can Money 2004 import Quicken 2004 data? No. But Money 2005 probably will be able to. "Syd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:114f601c44198$23787db0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Can Money 2004 import Quicken 2004 data? In microsoft.public.money, Syd wrote: >Can Money 2004 import Quicken 2004 data? No. See FAQ available at http://umpmfaq.info/faq.html for more information. ...

How do I find Quicken Newsgroups? When I ran Outlook Express they existed, but now in Outlook I can find none. Please help.
Outlook doesn't read NGs - it uses OE for that. Also note - it's considered 'good netiquette' to keep your subject line simple and concise, and put your question in the body of the message. :-) Old Red One wrote: "Old Red One" <oldred1@charter.net> wrote in message news:ePiwfEqWDHA.1632@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl See replies to your other posts regarding this same question (newsgroups are not chat rooms). Also, do NOT post your entire question in the Subject line. Put the substance of your question in the body of your post. If your newsgroups exist in Outlo...

Windows experience Index
Since I have upgraded from Vista 64 to Win 7 64, I can not get the Windows Experience Index to run without the graphics card being reset a few times resulting in a index score of 2. I have changed the Nvidia driver to the most current to support my GT220 card. Any suggestions? Just a update. I am getting "nvidia windows kernel mode driver not responding" during my index updating "John Knapp" <johnk@stny.rr.com> wrote in message news:C25FC7D2-9D6B-4AAC-8D91-7FF294E1528F@microsoft.com... > Since I have upgraded from Vista 64 to Win 7 64, I can not ...

Imported Quicken and lost all previous files!
I have been using money 2003 for home use and Quicken for business use. I bought a new computer with Money 2004 on it and imported all my old files from 2003. I went then to convert my Quicken files so they would all be together in the same program. I got the Quicken files in fine, but then I have lost all of my Money files that I had already. Is there anything I can do to get those files back? What happened? In microsoft.public.money, Andy wrote: >I have been using money 2003 for home use and Quicken for >business use. I bought a new computer with Money 2004 on >it a...

Upgraded to Exch2003, OWA2003, but experience is slow
I've setup a two node Exch2003 cluster. I still have Exch2000 running in co-existence with the new Exch2003 system. THen I create a new mailbox on the new Exch2003 cluster back-end servers. Via OWA, I logon with newUserAccount and I see the OWA 2003 interface. However, it comes slow and it doesn't finalize all the grapics. I try to send an e-mail, but I click "New" and nothing appears. Something is not working right. Any idea of what could it be ? I did not configure the steps below outlined the Exch2003 Deployment guide: Creating the HTTP Virtual Servers in Exchange...

SP3 no problems so far
I have been running SP1 since it first came out in production, on front end servers, back end servers with a mix of Windows 2000 and 2003. No major problems so far. The only problem(probally not related to SP1) is migrating some users from 2000, sometimes permissions get trashed, esp. permissions for shared mailboxes with multiple people having permissions to the box. ...