Money vs Quicken comparison anyone? Especially interested in online bill payment

  Is there someone here who can compare Money to Quicken?  The trade rags
I've read seem to indicate Money is as good as or better than Quicken.  Can
anyone comment on that?  I've been using Quicken since 1990 and seen Intuit
go from a first class great company with a fantastic product in Quicken to a
company that seems to've past its peak and gotten out of touch.  While MS is
certainly not immune to mediocracy and bureaucracy itself, my experience
with Quicken Deluxe 2008 (after 18 years as a very happy Quicken user) has
given me a fresh incentive to take a serious look at Money.  I've downloaded
the 60 day free trial version, and have just joined this newsgroup in an
attempt to educate myself in this area.  I've seen both Intuit and MS do
great and not so great things, but in my recent experience Intuit has taken
the cake in the not so great direction.
  All I want is a product that can maintain my checking register while
providing online bill payment with ease and stability.  Anyone who can
provide a comparison will be highly appreciated.

0
eepyeep (2)
5/15/2008 7:46:52 PM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

I'm not sure you will get any great responses except from the few switchers
who came this direction. It takes so much effort to do a meaningful cross
evaluation that few of us who've had acess to Q have done much more than
start it and look around a little.

There are, from time to time, users who come here from Q and say, either,
"gee this is so much better than Q" or "gee this sucks, I'm going back to Q".

Dick Watson wrote:
> I'm not sure you will get any great responses except from the few switchers
> who came this direction. It takes so much effort to do a meaningful cross
> evaluation that few of us who've had acess to Q have done much more than
> start it and look around a little.
>
> There are, from time to time, users who come here from Q and say, either,
> "gee this is so much better than Q" or "gee this sucks, I'm going back to Q".
>
> "Hula Baloo" wrote:
>
>>   Is there someone here who can compare Money to Quicken?  The trade rags
>> I've read seem to indicate Money is as good as or better than Quicken.  Can
>> anyone comment on that?  I've been using Quicken since 1990 and seen Intuit
>> go from a first class great company with a fantastic product in Quicken to a
>> company that seems to've past its peak and gotten out of touch.  While MS is
>> certainly not immune to mediocracy and bureaucracy itself, my experience
>> with Quicken Deluxe 2008 (after 18 years as a very happy Quicken user) has
>> given me a fresh incentive to take a serious look at Money.  I've downloaded
>> the 60 day free trial version, and have just joined this newsgroup in an
>> attempt to educate myself in this area.  I've seen both Intuit and MS do
>> great and not so great things, but in my recent experience Intuit has taken
>> the cake in the not so great direction.
>>   All I want is a product that can maintain my checking register while
>> providing online bill payment with ease and stability.  Anyone who can
>> provide a comparison will be highly appreciated.
I switched to Money from Quicken because I was having a problem with
Quicken on my machine.  Quicken is better in some ways and then also,
Money is better in some ways,   Neither is perfect for me.  I use my
bank to pay bills (free).  Money imports for me OK.  Money 08 does not
convert Quicken 08 files.
0
hankmack (9)
5/16/2008 1:12:40 PM
cnet does comparing both programs, check there
"

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080516-2, 05/16/2008
Tested on: 5/16/2008 2:12:35 PM

daggepad (8)
5/16/2008 6:12:33 PM
I am a Quicken to Money convert and, so far, am pleased with Money. As
someone else said, each has its pros and cons.

As much as I like Money, I found Quickens handling of bill pay and
reconciliation to be superior to Money. I found it easier to use and more
intuitive.

However, I use PFM software for much more than just paying bills and
reconciling checking/savings accounts. I find Money to be better in just
about every other feature, especially investment tracking.

"Hula Baloo" wrote:

>   Is there someone here who can compare Money to Quicken?  The trade rags
> I've read seem to indicate Money is as good as or better than Quicken.  Can
> anyone comment on that?  I've been using Quicken since 1990 and seen Intuit
> go from a first class great company with a fantastic product in Quicken to a
> company that seems to've past its peak and gotten out of touch.  While MS is
> certainly not immune to mediocracy and bureaucracy itself, my experience
> with Quicken Deluxe 2008 (after 18 years as a very happy Quicken user) has
> given me a fresh incentive to take a serious look at Money.  I've downloaded
> the 60 day free trial version, and have just joined this newsgroup in an
> attempt to educate myself in this area.  I've seen both Intuit and MS do
> great and not so great things, but in my recent experience Intuit has taken
> the cake in the not so great direction.
>   All I want is a product that can maintain my checking register while
> providing online bill payment with ease and stability.  Anyone who can
> provide a comparison will be highly appreciated.

0
Aviator (54)
5/17/2008 4:28:00 PM
I would try Quicken if they had a free 60-day download and a converter =
the way Money does for Quicken.  Quicken never seems interested in =
getting Money users to try their product.

"Aviator" <Aviator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
I am a Quicken to Money convert and, so far, am pleased with Money. As=20
someone else said, each has its pros and cons.

As much as I like Money, I found Quickens handling of bill pay and=20
reconciliation to be superior to Money. I found it easier to use and =
more=20
intuitive.

However, I use PFM software for much more than just paying bills and=20

"Hula Baloo" wrote:

>   Is there someone here who can compare Money to Quicken?  The trade =
rags=20
> I've read seem to indicate Money is as good as or better than Quicken. =
 Can=20
> anyone comment on that?  I've been using Quicken since 1990 and seen =
Intuit=20
> go from a first class great company with a fantastic product in =
Quicken to a=20
> company that seems to've past its peak and gotten out of touch.  While =
MS is=20
> certainly not immune to mediocracy and bureaucracy itself, my =
experience=20
> with Quicken Deluxe 2008 (after 18 years as a very happy Quicken user) =
has=20
> given me a fresh incentive to take a serious look at Money.  I've =
downloaded=20
> the 60 day free trial version, and have just joined this newsgroup in =
an=20
> attempt to educate myself in this area.  I've seen both Intuit and MS =
do=20
> great and not so great things, but in my recent experience Intuit has =
taken=20
> the cake in the not so great direction.
>   All I want is a product that can maintain my checking register while =

> providing online bill payment with ease and stability.  Anyone who can =

> provide a comparison will be highly appreciated.=20
>=20

0
SteveC
5/18/2008 8:03:50 PM
"SteveC" <sconklan.nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message =
I would try Quicken if they had a free 60-day download and a converter =
the way Money does for Quicken.  Quicken never seems interested in =
getting Money users to try their product.

I think Money's market share is small, relative to Quicken. Intuit's =
marketing efforts are probably more effective when targeting users who =
don't use anything at all.
--=20
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL
0
spam_magnet (1210)
5/20/2008 12:28:11 AM
Quicken's been around a lot longer than Money, that's probably got a lot
to do with its larger user group.  And it used to be a truly easy to use
fantastic product.  These days it's like a Christmas tree that's got so
many ornaments hung on it, it almost falls over from the weight.  Plus
you used to be able to keep a working version until YOU were ready to
upgrade, not forced into it every 3 years by Intuit.  MS of course no
better, forcing you to upgrade every TWO years.  Greed and bureaucracy
seem common to both company's management.  :-(

--
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL

Chris Cowles wrote:
> "SteveC" <sconklan.nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9CAFE415-29F1-43CD-A1D3-514125316EC2@microsoft.com...
> I would try Quicken if they had a free 60-day download and a converter the way Money does for Quicken.  Quicken never seems interested in getting Money users to try their product.
>
> I think Money's market share is small, relative to Quicken. Intuit's marketing efforts are probably more effective when targeting users who don't use anything at all.
0
eepyeep (2)
5/20/2008 4:01:48 PM
On Tue, 20 May 2008 12:01:48 -0400,while reading
"microsoft.public.money", I'm almost definitely certain I heard "Hula
Baloo <eepyeep@nospam.juno.com>" say:

<snipped>

>Quicken's been around a lot longer than Money, that's probably got a lot
>to do with its larger user group.  And it used to be a truly easy to use
>fantastic product.

I loved Quicken and first used it when it came on floppy disks. :-)

>Plus you used to be able to keep a working version until YOU were ready
>to upgrade, not forced into it every 3 years by Intuit.

I became disillusioned with Quicken and switched to Money 2004 which I
have been very happy with.

Although lately Money has been very slow which I think maybe due to its
database being very large and I have been contemplating giving the
existing installation the flick and doing a completely new install of
Money 2004, though still keeping a backup of my existing installation on
my backup computer.

>MS of course no better, forcing you to upgrade every TWO years.

I haven't received a suggestion or a demand from Microsoft that I should
upgrade my Money 2004. ;-)
--

Erik Vastmasd
0
"Vastmasd" <email@invalid.ok> wrote in message =
=20
> Although lately Money has been very slow which I think maybe due to =
its
> database being very large and I have been contemplating giving the
> existing installation the flick and doing a completely new install of
> Money 2004, though still keeping a backup of my existing installation =
on
> my backup computer.

Consider instead the 'nuke the bills' function. It clears a considerable =
amount of dreck from the database, but messes up Advanced Budget, if you =
use that.

Backup first, of course, and test the restoration process to make sure =
the backup really worked.
--=20
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL
0
spam_magnet (1210)
5/21/2008 10:51:21 PM
And note that "nuke the bills" assumes M07 or higher. Might be an excuse to
upgrade, but try it A COPY of your data file and with an M+ trial version
first and BY ALL MEANS know what you are getting into before you leap. See
http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=187 for more on Nuke The Bills.

"Chris Cowles" <spam_magnet@remove-me-bellsouth.net> wrote in message
"Vastmasd" <email@invalid.ok> wrote in message

> Although lately Money has been very slow which I think maybe due to its
> database being very large and I have been contemplating giving the
> existing installation the flick and doing a completely new install of
> Money 2004, though still keeping a backup of my existing installation on
> my backup computer.

Consider instead the 'nuke the bills' function. It clears a considerable
amount of dreck from the database, but messes up Advanced Budget, if you use
that.

Backup first, of course, and test the restoration process to make sure the
backup really worked.

On Wed, 21 May 2008 18:51:21 -0400,while reading
"microsoft.public.money", I'm almost definitely certain I heard ""Chris
Cowles" <spam_magnet@remove-me-bellsouth.net>" say:

>"Vastmasd" <email@invalid.ok> wrote in message news:69hu5pF32vmilU1@mid.individual.net...
>
>> Although lately Money has been very slow which I think maybe due to its
>> database being very large and I have been contemplating giving the
>> existing installation the flick and doing a completely new install of
>> Money 2004, though still keeping a backup of my existing installation on
>> my backup computer.
>
>Consider instead the 'nuke the bills' function. It clears a considerable amount of dreck from the database, but messes up Advanced Budget, if you use that.

I'm using Money 2004 which I'm not aware has a  'nuke the bills'
function.

>Backup first, of course, and test the restoration process to make sure the backup really worked.

I'm very confident my backups will work. I've occasionally done a new
Money install after re-installing WinXP Pro or Win 2000 its predecessor.
--

Erik Vastmasd
0

>>Consider instead the 'nuke the bills' function. It clears a =
considerable amount of dreck from the database, but messes up Advanced =
Budget, if you use that.
>=20
> I'm using Money 2004 which I'm not aware has a  'nuke the bills'
> function.
>=20
>>Backup first, of course, and test the restoration process to make sure =
the backup really worked.
>=20
> I'm very confident my backups will work. I've occasionally done a new
> Money install after re-installing WinXP Pro or Win 2000 its =
predecessor.

If by 'new installation' you mean the program, but not changing the data =
file, I don't think it will change much.
--=20
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL
0
spam_magnet (1210)
5/27/2008 12:11:32 AM
SteveC wrote:
> I would try Quicken if they had a free 60-day download and a
> converter the way Money does for Quicken.  Quicken never seems
> interested in getting Money users to try their product.

I'll assume you are serious.

Quicken has a 60 day money back guarantee.

And Quicken has some Money to Quicken conversion capability (I
think the degree of success depends on the Quicken/Money
versions involved, and the user's desire to convert).

In as much as Quicken has an 80% market share (gee, do you think
all those Quicken users are stupid, and all the Money users know
better?), why should Intuit spend any significant amount of
money to seduce Money users ... who don't even know that there
is a Quicken 60 day money back guarantee?

--

John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com

0
invalid460 (432)
6/1/2008 12:14:36 AM
some comments inline

"John Pollard" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Quicken has a 60 day money back guarantee.

A trial is a lot less hassle.

> And Quicken has some Money to Quicken conversion capability (I think the
> degree of success depends on the Quicken/Money versions involved, and the
> user's desire to convert).

The last time I looked it depended on specifically formatted Money reports
exported to XML. Having extracted data from Money this way, I can say with
certainty that LOTS of data will get left behind since there is no way with
Money to report it. This is Microsoft's fault--but as long as that's Q's
only import method, it is what it is.

> In as much as Quicken has an 80% market share (gee, do you think all those
> Quicken users are stupid, and all the Money users know better?), why
> should Intuit spend any significant amount of money to seduce Money users
> ... who don't even know that there is a Quicken 60 day money back
> guarantee?

60DMBG and trial version are decidedly not the same thing. Steve said "no
trial". I believe you are confirming he is correct in this.

The prime reason that Q has 80% and M < 20% is that Q was out there first
and the barriers to migration--either way--are pretty high. It has nothing
to do with which users are smart vs. which are stupid. And, yes, it's pretty
obvious why they Intuit doesn't feel like spending a dime to attract M
users.

Two computers, one Money file.

VS Tools for GP9
Is there a way to make a custom Visual Studio (.net) form act like a regular GP MDI child form? (Stay visible - not modal) I have a custom form tied to the the SopEntry form which will display additional data about the orders. However it does not stay visible unless it has focus. I need a way for the custom form to be visible while GP and it's other forms have focus. However still give way (allow them on top) to other forms in the MDI. On a side note, it would really be nice if there is a way to get the size and location of a GP child form as well so that I could move and resi...

Money Money Money !! Agloco !!

Quest: Console app Build tool return val to VS output window...
I have a console app the I built that I run in another project post-build. Now I want the VC++ build process of the build app to think there is a build error and stop running the post-build cmds so what return value can I exit the console app with that will stop build like the VC++ standard complier and linker command line program can stop for standard build errors... Any help... Any value other than zero will cause the build process to stop... HTH -- ============ Frank Hickman NobleSoft, Inc. ============ > Any value other than zero will cause the build process to stop... Thanks t...

Purchased Money Essentials wont install

money 2002 #26

Databases
I want to be able to sort my customers via the products they buy. I know how > > to do an excel spreadsheet which is useful for mail merges. I also know that > > by adding new categories you can sort contacts. Which is the best system? > > Pros/cons of each method please > > > > Peter Peter Brown wrote: > I want to be able to sort my customers via the products they buy. I know > how > to do an excel spreadsheet which is useful for mail merges. I also know > that > by adding new categories you can sort contacts. Which is the best > system? >...

Spell Check states no longer offered for this language. Does anyone know how I can get spell check?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0045_01CB285B.1005C660 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0046_01CB285B.1005C660" ------=_NextPart_001_0046_01CB285B.1005C660 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ------=_NextPart_001_0046_01CB285B.1005C660 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML>...

money 2005 #11

Duplicate Funds in Money

duplicating a Project Accounting Billing invoice
Does anyone know if the workaround described in Techknowledge document id 3007 will work with Great Plains version 8 to reprint an invoice? ...

Microsoft Money in Australia

MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!

Problems with Money 2005

Money 2000 user guide

money vs simply accounting

Money Data #2

Money 2004 Error 1335 #2

Reinstall Money Plus problems

MSN Bill Pay #7
Are there additional fees for using MSN Bill Pay with Deluxe 2006? I thought a user got 2 years of Bill Pay with Deluxe 2006, but I want to be sure. Thanks in advance for your time. ...

Repair a Money data file? MS Money or MSN Money?

FYI: Office Online Article
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA100141941033.aspx -- David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] http://www.publishermvps.com http://www.davidbartosik.com Hey David, You sure get around... Good article. You are the best. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "David Bartosik" <DavidBartosik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA758E9D-8999-4A0D-9B0D-3CE17DFA3C24@microsoft.com... > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA100141941033.aspx > > -- > David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] &...

Explorer opens Microsoft Money 2002 installation
When I do just about anything on my computer (WinXP), it attempts to install MS Money 2002. It says to insert the CD. Just opening 'My Computer', or anything explorer related will result with "Please Insert the Money 2002 CD". I dont have the CD. MS Money is installed, I think it came with the computer. If I try to uninstall Money, it says to insert the CD. Ive looked at the CD bundle that came with the computer, but cannot find Money Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Dave If Money came with the machine, you might need to contact your supplier an...

$'03 Bills & Deposits
anybody else having prob's here ??? i opened up my $'03 today and 80% of all my 'Bills & Deposits' are MIA ( some kinda Y2K'03-4 bug ? LOL ) ~~Robb Dude, your file is toast.... look up Knowledge base articles 182608 274584 Best of luck to you This just happened to my Money 2004 Bills & Deposits. Seems like my backup file also has the same problem. Does anyone know what causes this or how to restore the data? Ken "Robb" <nobody@dot.com> wrote in message news:%23xVVHrbzDHA.2240@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > anybody else having prob'...