Money's database format

I decided to tool around with my old Money files in a binary editor
(can't do much else with them).  The first thing in the file's header
was "MSISAM Database"--this is not news, the newsgroup FAQ states
this.

Well I noticed that in a similar position in an Access database I had
lying around it says "Standard Jet DB", so I replaced "MSISAM
Database" with that.  I saved it and now Access didn't complain about
unknown database type, but it did request a password--which just means
they changed a tiny bit of stuff so that it wouldn't read straight
into Access.  I ran an Access recovery tool on it and, sure enough,
could see most of my financial data in one of dozens of normalized
tables.  No wonder Money is so slow.
0
info7138 (79)
10/8/2004 1:53:19 AM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

LOL

Hey, let's start over with the Money app!

JB

Steve Hanson wrote:
> I decided to tool around with my old Money files in a binary editor
> (can't do much else with them).  The first thing in the file's header
> was "MSISAM Database"--this is not news, the newsgroup FAQ states
> this.
>
> Well I noticed that in a similar position in an Access database I had
> lying around it says "Standard Jet DB", so I replaced "MSISAM
> Database" with that.  I saved it and now Access didn't complain about
> unknown database type, but it did request a password--which just
means
> they changed a tiny bit of stuff so that it wouldn't read straight
> into Access.  I ran an Access recovery tool on it and, sure enough,
> could see most of my financial data in one of dozens of normalized
> tables.  No wonder Money is so slow.

0
johnbusc (409)
10/8/2004 2:09:17 AM
I don't think that using a database format for the file
would make it slower, I believe that they are slowly
integrating the internet connectivity throughout the
application. With the latest version, they now have
replaced the Money Express with MSN Alerts. This really
ranks.

0
anonymous (74722)
10/8/2004 2:19:16 AM
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
<03ed01c4acdd$360ae4d0$a501280a@phx.gbl>:

>I don't think that using a database format for the file
>would make it slower, I believe that they are slowly
>integrating the internet connectivity throughout the
>application. With the latest version, they now have
>replaced the Money Express with MSN Alerts. This really
>ranks.

Jet is not a high performance database engine.  This is why Microsoft
recommends people archive data--because Jet can't hack it.  I agree
that some of the slowness is the crap IE interface and the constant
need to report to Microsoft's servers.  However compare Quicken's
speed, which is way way faster than Money at displaying information,
doing searches, etc.  That's where the database performance comes into
play.
0
info7138 (79)
10/8/2004 2:30:51 AM
What was the year of the old Money file on which you tried this?

Steve Hanson wrote:
> I decided to tool around with my old Money files in a binary editor
> (can't do much else with them).  The first thing in the file's header
> was "MSISAM Database"--this is not news, the newsgroup FAQ states
> this.
>
> Well I noticed that in a similar position in an Access database I had
> lying around it says "Standard Jet DB", so I replaced "MSISAM
> Database" with that.  I saved it and now Access didn't complain about
> unknown database type, but it did request a password--which just means
> they changed a tiny bit of stuff so that it wouldn't read straight
> into Access.  I ran an Access recovery tool on it and, sure enough,
> could see most of my financial data in one of dozens of normalized
> tables.  No wonder Money is so slow.

0
Retired
10/8/2004 12:11:51 PM
Retired Coal Miner wrote in <IIadnXGGH_-aGfvcRVn-vQ@comcast.com>:

>What was the year of the old Money file on which you tried this?

2002 and 2005.  One table I noticed was called "Feature Expiration
Custom Pool".  It was empty but had a number of fields.

I spent all of about 30 min. poking around, using some freeware tools.
I'm sure someone with more time and interest, i.e. a Money user who
knows a little about databases and programming, could find interesting
ways to hack Money's data file.  There are many possibilities.  I
personally just don't have the time or inclination since I'm no longer
a Money user.
0
info7138 (79)

How to identify a cell [format|category|number|scientific] for sea
I currently have a project in which I need to identify a cell if it is formatted with scientific and to ignore the data value. Similar to: If objExcel.Cells(intRow,Column).xxxxx = scientific Then Else intRow = intRow + 1 Any help would be gretly appreciated Office --> Excel 2k3 using *.vbs If I record a macro while I format a cell as Scientific with two decimal places, I'd get this numberformat: 0.00E+00 And this recorded code. Selection.NumberFormat = "0.00E+00" So I could use: if objExcel.cells(introw,intColumn).numberformat = "0.00E+00"...

remote database needs prefix database in sql
Hey All, I'm trying to write some SQL for a remote sql05 database and it requires me to prefix any table names with the database name. Is there anyway around this, kinda clutters up the sql, i think. thanks, rod. This is the way object identifiers work. :) You can, however, use synonyms on SQL Server 2005 (and above). ML --- Matija Lah, SQL Server MVP http://milambda.blogspot.com/ what does it mean when some databases require it and others don't? "ML" wrote: > This is the way object identifiers work. :) > > You can, however, use...

Two computers, one Money file.

Money Money Money !! Agloco !!

Purchased Money Essentials wont install

money 2002 #26

Address book in public folder is formatted as a message
Hi I just installed a new copy of exchange 2003. Now my addres book in the public folder is formatted as message. I created a template with the view I want i.e. card with details for the addresses, but it does not allow me the flexiblity I have when it was a card view. Another problem is that no aone in the company is able to add, or change any address. What am I doing wrong? phunterqa@yahoo.com ...

Default date formats
In Excel 2002, dates entered in a worksheet as "dd/mm" default to a custom format of "d-mmm". For example, 4/26 shows as 26-Apr in the worksheet cell even though it is shown as 4/26/2005 in the Formula Bar. I want them to default to "mm/dd/yyyy". In the Regional settings, the default short date format is shown as "dd/mm/yyyy". Any ideas? J Fultz wrote: > In Excel 2002, dates entered in a worksheet as "dd/mm" default to a custom > format of "d-mmm". For example, 4/26 shows as 26-Apr in the worksheet cell > even tho...

Databases
I want to be able to sort my customers via the products they buy. I know how > > to do an excel spreadsheet which is useful for mail merges. I also know that > > by adding new categories you can sort contacts. Which is the best system? > > Pros/cons of each method please > > > > Peter Peter Brown wrote: > I want to be able to sort my customers via the products they buy. I know > how > to do an excel spreadsheet which is useful for mail merges. I also know > that > by adding new categories you can sort contacts. Which is the best > system? >...

HELP
we have page overflow and date format issues with excel macro. this macro generates about 20 pages of charts... 18 of 20 are printing on two pages when we run on xl2002 sp-2, same reports are on one per page in xl97 and xl2000. any suggestions as to a fix would be greatly appreciated. thanks, bluec ...

money 2005 #11

Percent Format: Allow user to type Percent, not decimal?
Seems like when a field's underlying value is a decimal amount, but the presentation format on a field in a form is "Percent", the user still has to type the decimal equivalent of the percent when editing the field. e.g. CouponRate=.05437 is shown as "5.437%", but when the user clicks into the field to type something, they have to type, for instance, ". 04798" to get 4.798 percent to show. Seems logical from one perspective, but my users don't care for it. I can think of one way to handle this, using event code, but I'm wondering if there is a Good-...

Duplicate Funds in Money

Microsoft Money in Australia

Activities Relationship (MSCRM Database)
Would someone mind looking at the ActivitesBase table and tell me what relationships they have for this table? Thanks! Kristina what are you trying to find? "Kristina Ledford" <noemails@noemails.com> wrote in message news:uRleLw$nDHA.2772@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Would someone mind looking at the ActivitesBase table and tell me what > relationships they have for this table? > > > Thanks! > Kristina > > We are getting errors when trying to open activities of some Leads that were created (not imported) in CRM. There was another post about this ...

MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!

Problem about Sample Database
Dear all, I have a MS CRM license with MSDN. I completly installed MS CRM with organization named "Adventure Works Cycle. I got 6 licenses of Suite Professtional. But when I tried to install sample database following http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/mscrm/mscrm1/m aintain/20_samdb.mspx . It was error in step of add license. I added 8JUNYZUK3U66WXTRP7WE1 and the error screen was shown "You must enter a valid license key". Please help me solve this problem. Thanks !!! dinorex "dinorex" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Formatting text..
Hi... Is there a way to make cell B26 show f.ex. red blinking tekst, when B25 is containing the same text string? -- Regards Zadig Galbaras -- You can easily make B25 turn RED if it contains the same value as B26 by using the Conditional Formatting Feature....Format > ConditionalFormat >, and follow the menu..............if you want it to "blink' then that will require some VBA code and will continue to consume system resources all the time it is running. Chip Pearson has some instructions..... http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.htm Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABG...

[Announce] DataDirect XQuery 3.1 Supports Querying of OpenDocument Format
[Announce] DataDirect XQuery 3.1 Supports MySQL; adds Extended File- Type Support & Output Enhancements. [Announce] Dear microsoft.public.dotnet.xml, DataDirect Technologies has released an updated version of DataDirect XQuery, an easily embeddable, Java-based implementation of the XQuery 1.0 and the XQuery API for Java standards. Here are some of the highlights of the new release: * Extended file type support and output enhancements, DataDirect XQuery version 3.1 further simplifies the performance of combining and processing heterogeneous data sources. The product now supports the abil...

How do you keep Excel currency formatting during a mail merge?
I would like to be able to enter currency in Excel as a simple number (ex: 2000) and, when I merge the database to my MSWord Document using Mail Merge, I would like the number to show up formatted as currency (ex: $2,000.00). How do I do that? Debra Dalgleish posted this to a similar question: There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you: Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HA011164951033.aspx And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill has instructions here: http://hom...

Problems with Money 2005

Save custom formats independantly of workbooks?
Hi, Is there a way to save several custom formats (say, numbers in $000's, in $ millions, etc) which I would use for a variety of workbooks (including workbooks where those formats do not exist yet), with a name, and make them accessible from the toolbars? Earlier today someone kindly suggested to assign a name to the format using Format -> Style, but the formats I had saved have disappeared from the style menu once I closed a spreadhseet and used a different one. Any suggestion? Many thanks, Joss Delage ...

Money 2000 user guide

money vs simply accounting

Money Data #2