Money files compatibility

I have recently installed Money plus, and was trying to open my old money
file where I have years of history.
It is a money 2002 (with updates) file.
When I try to open it, I get the following message:
Money can't open this file, because it was created using a different version
of money.
This is very disappointing, surely I can still convert my old file into the
new format somehow? if there a converting little software that I can download
from your site, to use as a one-off?
Please let me know.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

0
Griot (1)
7/5/2008 10:51:01 PM
money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

Money Plus Deluxe or Premium? (Essentials is a totally different and useless
product and won't read your Standard. Plus or Premium data file).  Same
localization?  That is, is your M2002 a US (or Canadian) version.  Money
will not convert a file created in another localization.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Laurent Griot" <Laurent Griot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently installed Money plus, and was trying to open my old money
> file where I have years of history.
> It is a money 2002 (with updates) file.
> When I try to open it, I get the following message:
> Money can't open this file, because it was created using a different
> version
> of money.
> This is very disappointing, surely I can still convert my old file into
> the
> new format somehow? if there a converting little software that I can
> download
> from your site, to use as a one-off?
> Please let me know.
>
> Many thanks in advance for your help.

0
Privacy1 (389)
7/6/2008 2:18:18 AM
Money is heavily regionalized and a file created in, say, a UK version,
cannot be read by a US version. Can you remember is your M2002 a non US
version?

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For UK tips & fixes see

"Laurent Griot" <Laurent Griot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently installed Money plus, and was trying to open my old money
> file where I have years of history.
> It is a money 2002 (with updates) file.
> When I try to open it, I get the following message:
> Money can't open this file, because it was created using a different
> version
> of money.
> This is very disappointing, surely I can still convert my old file into
> the
> new format somehow? if there a converting little software that I can
> download
> from your site, to use as a one-off?
> Please let me know.
>
> Many thanks in advance for your help.

0
bob_peel2056 (736)
7/6/2008 6:53:06 AM
I have a similar question about compatibility of .mny data files across
different versions of Microsoft Money.

In our organization, we have been using Microsoft Money 2000 Standard.  Our
past history is saved in the MS 2000 .mny format.  We need to install
Microsoft Money on our new Treasurer's computer so she can access the old
history and continue downloading our online bank account information, etc.
Much to our surprise, we found that our old MS Money disk is now CRACKED and
doesn't work anymore (yeah, we tried it!!!).

So we need to get a new copy of the MS Money software our organization.  We
found MS Money Deluxe 2004 at amazon.com.  We ordered it from amazon,
thinking it might be more likely to be compatible with our old .mny file than
a new, new version like Money 2008.

What do you think?  Will our .mny file from Money 2000 Standard likely open
in Money Deluxe 2004?

Now for another wrinkle.  We hoped the software would arrive by today
(Friday), but it will not.  Our new Treasurer needs to work on the files
today and over the weekend.  I noticed that you can download a free trial of
various different versions of Money from Microsoft's web site.  Would it be
possible for us to download the free trial, import our old history .mny file
into the trial version, download the most recent months of bank information
and work on creating the year-end financial reports over the weekend ... and
then import the NEW file (the one that will be updated using the trial
version) into our Money 2004 Deluxe software when it comes in the mail next
week?

I am asking this because I don't want our Treasurer to do all the work of
updating these files and then find that they are not compatible with the
Money 2004 Deluxe software that comes in next week.

If that works, it would be ideal.  We can just download the trial version
software and begin working right away.  We only spent $18 on the old version
disk (including expedited shipping) from amazon, but this solution is nice
since it doesn't cost any additional money.

BUT IF THE ABOVE SOLUTION IS UNLIKELY TO WORK ....

Note that we are also willing to BUY a new software disk today and just cut
our losses with regards to the order from amazon.  We could go to Best Buy or
wherever and buy a copy of the latest MS Money for like $40.  It would cost
us extra time and money, but would this be guaranteed to work?  In that case,
it would be worth it.

We just don't want to spend the extra time and money in running out to get a
new version of Money from Best Buy and then come back and find out that it is
not compatible with our old .mny files from Money 2000 Standard.

Another question ... is the latest version of Money comptible only with
Vista or can you use it with Windows XP, 2000, ETC?

Thanks for your help!!!

petalpower wrote:

> I have a similar question about compatibility of .mny data files
> across different versions of Microsoft Money.
>
> In our organization, we have been using Microsoft Money 2000
> Standard.  Our past history is saved in the MS 2000 .mny format.  We
> need to install Microsoft Money on our new Treasurer's computer so
> she can access the old history and continue downloading our online
> bank account information, etc.  Much to our surprise, we found that
> our old MS Money disk is now CRACKED and doesn't work anymore (yeah,
> we tried it!!!).

You can buy any version you want on Ebay.

> So we need to get a new copy of the MS Money software our
> organization.  We found MS Money Deluxe 2004 at amazon.com.  We
> ordered it from amazon, thinking it might be more likely to be
> compatible with our old .mny file than a new, new version like Money
> 2008.
>
> What do you think?  Will our .mny file from Money 2000 Standard
> likely open in Money Deluxe 2004?

This should work, barring problems with corruption.

> Now for another wrinkle.  We hoped the software would arrive by today
> (Friday), but it will not.  Our new Treasurer needs to work on the
> files today and over the weekend.  I noticed that you can download a
> free trial of various different versions of Money from Microsoft's
> web site.  Would it be possible for us to download the free trial,
> import our old history .mny file into the trial version, download the
> most recent months of bank information and work on creating the
> year-end financial reports over the weekend ... and then import the
> NEW file (the one that will be updated using the trial version) into
> our Money 2004 Deluxe software when it comes in the mail next week?

That won't work. See notes below about versions.

> I am asking this because I don't want our Treasurer to do all the
> work of updating these files and then find that they are not
> compatible with the Money 2004 Deluxe software that comes in next
> week.
>
> If that works, it would be ideal.  We can just download the trial
> version software and begin working right away.  We only spent $18 on
> the old version disk (including expedited shipping) from amazon, but
> this solution is nice since it doesn't cost any additional money.
>
> BUT IF THE ABOVE SOLUTION IS UNLIKELY TO WORK ....
>
> Note that we are also willing to BUY a new software disk today and
> just cut our losses with regards to the order from amazon.  We could
> go to Best Buy or wherever and buy a copy of the latest MS Money for
> like $40.  It would cost us extra time and money, but would this be
> guaranteed to work?  In that case, it would be worth it.
>
> We just don't want to spend the extra time and money in running out
> to get a new version of Money from Best Buy and then come back and
> find out that it is not compatible with our old .mny files from Money
> 2000 Standard.
>
> Another question ... is the latest version of Money comptible only
> with Vista or can you use it with Windows XP, 2000, ETC?
>
> Thanks for your help!!!

 * Newer versions of Money can open files created with older versions,
but not the other way round.

 * When a newer version of Money opens an older version's file, the
first thing it does is update the file to the newer version. That means
the older version of Money can no longer use the data file after it's
converted.

 * Barring unusual problems with corruption, you should be able to
upgrade from any older version of Money to any newer version. There may
be some intermediate steps since you're still on the 2000 version.

Whatever version of Money you choose to use, you'll need to buy
multiple copies and update all your machines at once.

The latest version of Money (Money Plus) runs on all versions of
Windows, as far as I know, except maybe W98 and older.

If I were in your place, I would:
1. Make multiple backups of the data file.
2. Download the latest version of Money.
3. Install it on all the appropriate machines.
4. Get back to business.
5. Purchase the licenses.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

In microsoft.public.money, petalpower wrote:

>Now for another wrinkle.  We hoped the software would arrive by today
>(Friday), but it will not.  Our new Treasurer needs to work on the files
>today and over the weekend.  I noticed that you can download a free trial of
>various different versions of Money from Microsoft's web site.  Would it be
>possible for us to download the free trial, import our old history .mny file
>into the trial version, download the most recent months of bank information
>and work on creating the year-end financial reports over the weekend ... and
>then import the NEW file (the one that will be updated using the trial
>version) into our Money 2004 Deluxe software when it comes in the mail next
>week?
>
>I am asking this because I don't want our Treasurer to do all the work of
>updating these files and then find that they are not compatible with the
>Money 2004 Deluxe software that comes in next week.

If the conversion did not work directly (it may or may not), then
you could use the method in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us of using an earlier
trial version as intermediate step. Note that the trial versions
involved will not work if the computer date is current; it will have
to see the date as back when the trial was valid.

>If that works, it would be ideal.  We can just download the trial version
>software and begin working right away.  We only spent $18 on the old version
>disk (including expedited shipping) from amazon, but this solution is nice
>since it doesn't cost any additional money.
>
>BUT IF THE ABOVE SOLUTION IS UNLIKELY TO WORK ....
>
>Note that we are also willing to BUY a new software disk today and just cut
>our losses with regards to the order from amazon.  We could go to Best Buy or
>wherever and buy a copy of the latest MS Money for like $40.  It would cost
>us extra time and money, but would this be guaranteed to work?  In that case,
>it would be worth it.

First, you cannot use Money Essentials for this. Money Plus Deluxe
has an activation that can be used on two computers. You might check
Sams. There was a problem which required you to get some files from
the trial and replace files from the Money Plus Deluxe install
during the trial. I don't know if the problem disks are still around
or not.

Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe installed from CD not being able to
install the SP1 update

temporary workaround circa april may 2008.

This is a work around for a temporary problem.
This ONLY works for Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe installed from CD.

1) Uninstall your current version of Microsoft Money on your
computer by going to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.  If
you have the Trial Version of Microsoft Money installed at this
time, proceed to #5.

2) Open up Internet Explorer and go to
http://www.microsoft.com/money/freetrial_deluxe.mspx and click
"Download the Free Trial".

3) Once the program is installed, open the Microsoft Money program
and once you are prompted to install the update, do so.

4) Once the update is complete, open Microsoft Money trial and go
to Help>About Microsoft Money, check the version number.  The last
four numbers should now be 1415.

5) Close Microsoft Money trial and go to "C:/Program
Files/Microsoft Money Plus".  Right-click on the Microsoft Money
Plus folder and select 'copy', then go to your desktop and
right-click on there and select 'paste'.

6) Go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall the
trial version of Microsoft Money.  Reboot your system.  Then
install your CD version of the product.

7) Once the program is installed, go to "C:/Program Files" and
delete the "Microsoft Money Plus" folder.  Click and drag the
Microsoft Money Plus folder from your desktop into the Program
Files folder or copy and paste.  Once the folder is copied to the
Program Files folder, open Microsoft Money and check the version
number again.

8) After you open Microsoft Money and are not being prompted for
the update, delete the 'Microsoft Money Plus' folder from your
desktop.

via_newsgroup (13113)
7/18/2008 4:36:59 PM
WOW.  Thank you.

From the posts here, it looks like it will be impossible for us to open our
data file in MS Money 2004, after we open the .MNY file and make changes in a
later version.  :(  Is there no way to say "Save as a 2004 version"???  You
know how Microsoft Excel lets you save it in an earlier-version format so it
will be backward-compatible?

We don't have the Money 2000 software that we previously installed because
our previous Treasurer is not here anymore.   We need to update our files
today and this weekend, and so we need to install MS Money asap.  All we have
is the .mny data file created in Money 2000 Standard.  And a broken
installation disk (rueful smile).

It looks like the only way for us to update our files this weekend is to
download a 2008 trial version to use for now.   Is that right?  I wonder if
there is any store that sells an older version (2004 or older) that we could
buy today?  Does anyone know of such a place?  I'm in San Francisco.  The
thing I don't like about upgrading to 2008 is that it won't be backward
compatible ... so if any other members have an earlier version of MS Money
installed on their computers, they won't be able to open our data file.

Too bad the 2004 software didn't get here in the mail today as we originally
hoped! Then everything would be fine.  *sigh*

In microsoft.public.money, petalpower wrote:

>From the posts here, it looks like it will be impossible for us to open our
>data file in MS Money 2004, after we open the .MNY file and make changes in a
>later version.  :(  Is there no way to say "Save as a 2004 version"???  You
>know how Microsoft Excel lets you save it in an earlier-version format so it
>will be backward-compatible?

There no way to say "Save as a 2004 version."
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
7/18/2008 6:19:12 PM
There is one other quirk that from the sound of things shouldn't affect you
but you should be aware.

MS produced regional versions of Money around the world to take care of
varying fiscal laws. So there were US, UK, French, German, Spanish and
Japanese plus an International English version. None of these can read a
file produced by another regional version. So US Money can't read a UK Money
file.

As I said doesn't sound as if it will affect you.

Also as Cal has hinted the entry level version - Money Essentials - can't
read a file produced by any other version of Money.

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For UK tips & fixes see

"petalpower" <petalpower@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> WOW.  Thank you.
>
> From the posts here, it looks like it will be impossible for us to open
> our
> data file in MS Money 2004, after we open the .MNY file and make changes
> in a
> later version.  :(  Is there no way to say "Save as a 2004 version"???
> You
> know how Microsoft Excel lets you save it in an earlier-version format so
> it
> will be backward-compatible?
>
> We don't have the Money 2000 software that we previously installed because
> our previous Treasurer is not here anymore.   We need to update our files
> today and this weekend, and so we need to install MS Money asap.  All we
> have
> is the .mny data file created in Money 2000 Standard.  And a broken
> installation disk (rueful smile).
>
> It looks like the only way for us to update our files this weekend is to
> download a 2008 trial version to use for now.   Is that right?  I wonder
> if
> there is any store that sells an older version (2004 or older) that we
> could
> buy today?  Does anyone know of such a place?  I'm in San Francisco.  The
> thing I don't like about upgrading to 2008 is that it won't be backward
> compatible ... so if any other members have an earlier version of MS Money
> installed on their computers, they won't be able to open our data file.
>
> Too bad the 2004 software didn't get here in the mail today as we
> originally
> hoped! Then everything would be fine.  *sigh*

0
bob_peel2056 (736)
7/19/2008 6:19:12 AM
Thanks, Bob, Cal, and Steve!

Your information helped me a lot.

Another piece of information I found out in my mad search last Friday: it
seems that the trial "full" version of MS Money 2008 or whatever it is they
have for download on the web site ... only allows you to modify 60 DAYS worth
of data!  So this would totally not have helped us at all last weekend when
we needed to modify and update/categorize/etc financial records for the past
12 months.  Maybe I misunderstood it.  But if that was the case, the trial
"full version" of Money wouldn't have helped us at all.

In my exasperation, I was planning to go out and buy the 2008 version so we
could get our work done last weekend.  But meanwhile, I had posted an ad on
Craigslist asking if anybody had an old MS Money 2004 or earlier installation
disk they didn't mind parting with.  Just when I was getting ready to leave
and go buy the 2008 version, an e-mail came in ... it was a craigslist guy
with an old MS Money 2004 disk!  So I picked it up from him, and and that's
how we got MS Money installed last weekend.  This is nice because when our
newly ordered MS Money 2004 comes in this week, we will have two copies that
hopefully will be compatible with each other.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY FOR YOUR HELP.

In microsoft.public.money, petalpower wrote:

>lot.
>
>Another piece of information I found out in my mad search last Friday: it
>seems that the trial "full" version of MS Money 2008 or whatever it is they
>have for download on the web site ... only allows you to modify 60 DAYS worth
>of data!  So this would totally not have helped us at all last weekend when
>we needed to modify and update/categorize/etc financial records for the past
>12 months.  Maybe I misunderstood it.

You misunderstood it. The limitation is not on the dates of the
transactions, but the period of time you can enter data.
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
7/22/2008 5:20:31 PM
GOOD TO KNOW.

It would have been really lame if they only allow you to modify 60 days
worth of transactions!!!  I'm glad to hear this is not the case.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, petalpower wrote:
>
> >lot.
> >
> >Another piece of information I found out in my mad search last Friday: it
> >seems that the trial "full" version of MS Money 2008 or whatever it is they
> >have for download on the web site ... only allows you to modify 60 DAYS worth
> >of data!  So this would totally not have helped us at all last weekend when
> >we needed to modify and update/categorize/etc financial records for the past
> >12 months.  Maybe I misunderstood it.
>
> You misunderstood it. The limitation is not on the dates of the
> transactions, but the period of time you can enter data.

Can't retrieve excel file which was amended & saved under attachme
Using windows vista's window mail open an excel attachment, do some changes and click on the save button. But later when try to get back the amended file can't find it ?! Where does the save button save to? Try to search the file through whole hardisk, only have the original attached file in the Inbox. And in the C:\\..\Documents\Sharepoint Drafts\.. how could it be empty folder? I believe it windows alerts to specifically do a Save As, any changes made to the attachment will not be saved by simply saving. sorry . . . "LA" <LA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Two computers, one Money file.

Money Money Money !! Agloco !!

Purchased Money Essentials wont install

Write files no shutdown
I have a program that needs to write to several files right before it terminates. I have just noticed that when the program is killed by a system shutdown, these files don't get written. Can anyone give me their opinion as to how to get around this problem? Much appreciated. It depends on how your program is "killed". One way to take care of the problem is to write the files out periodically (every seconds if they have changed). Lots of programs do this sort of thing in a "save" mode so that if the program crashes or is killed the files can still be restored to ...

money 2002 #26

Saving a document in a particular file
Is it possible to restrict the locations in which an Excel document can be saved? I want to put a restriction on a particular file so that the people I send it to have to save it in a specific location on their hard drives... Thanks for any help. Copy/paste to Thisworkbook module. Edit to suit your path. Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal _ SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) 'Saves the current file to a certain folder 'Note that any previous version is overwritten Application.DisplayAlerts = False ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Gordstuf...

Opening files from other versions
Is there any way that Pub2000 can open a .pub file from another version? I am editor of our local Neighbourhood Watch newsletter and a contributor has sent me an article that refuses to open because it is from a different version. TIA, Willy What version was the original saved in and for that matter wht other information can you give us before this gets to be a guessing game? -- John G Wot's Your Real Problem? "willy" <willy@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:41f376b1$1@duster.adelaide.on.net... > Is there any way that Pub2000 can open a .pub file from another &...

Print all tabs to a pdf file
I need a macro that will print all of the worksheets in an Excel workbook to separate pdf files for each tab. I would also like to name the pdf file as the name of the tab. How can I accomplish this? If 2007/2010 see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee834871(office.11).aspx Or http://www.rondebruin.nl/pdf.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "JOSEPH WEBER" <JOSEPHWEBER@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C7B4249-C429-4762-9BF7-13C17BAFFCAE@microsoft.com... > I need a macro that will print all of the...

money 2005 #11

Excel last open file should move to top of list when used
When opening Excel I see list of last documents which I have used. I think that document which is opened from the list now, should move to the top of the list. That how frequently used documents would be on the list always. Now document need to be opened once every 9 (maximum numbers of history) different file used. You could send a message to MS asking for this enhancement: mswish@microsoft.com or xlwish@microsoft.com Put Excel in the subject so that it goes to the correct group. (then cross your fingers and get your checkbook out to by the newest version!) Matti Simperi wrote: > ...

Duplicate Funds in Money

How to modify program files in Vista?
Hi All: I use vs2008 make a msi file of my program. When I install in Vista(C:\program file\myproduct), the files in this folder can't be modified. Only system and admin can modify these files. But there is an ini file, every time my program should write something in this file use WritePrivateProfileString function. I want to know how can I install my program in Vista, and let my program can modify this ini file? Thanks Fiveight Your use of a .INI file which is kept in the same directory as your executable is incorrect usage. You must change your program to store information i...

Email not working when called from IE or a directory file
When I right click on a file in a directory (such as a photo) I get a menu that includes 'Send to' and an option to 'Mail recipient'. When I click on that it used to launch an email composition window from Outlook and the file is an attachment. For some reason, that function has stopped working. I checked my Outlook preferences and the box designating Outlook as the default email client is checked. I am using Outlook 2003 SP1 and this problem has just started in the last week. My OS is XP Home 5.1.2600. In addition, if I am using Internet Explorer (IE) and try to email a ...

Microsoft Money in Australia

MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!

Moving files after re-stalling Windows XP Pro
Due to a corrupt Windows file I had to re-install Windows. Unfortunately this meant that the new Outlook "Contacts" files, and files I had set up in "My Shortcuts", do not show up in the current Outlook. How can I locate, and move, these files from the old Outlook into the current Outlook? Thanks, The file you need up is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm There are specific steps you should take ...

Problems with Money 2005

Money 2000 user guide

money vs simply accounting

CFileDialog and file selections
Hello, I've derived CFileDialog and added my own button to the default toolbar. The propose of my derived file dialog is for choosing images from a directory and its subfolder. The new button, enables the user to import image from another directory. When the user presses the new button a standard file dialog is opened and the user chooses an image file. Aftre the standard file dialog is closed the focus is back to my derived cfiledialog class. The selected file is copied to the current directory (of my dervied cfile dialog). This process is working, and all I need to do and I don't...

Multiple VIDs in the same INF file
Hi all, I am trying to support a PCI device in my driver which is to be used by several OEMs in their products. I wonder if there are any WHQL requirements where you can't use several different VIDs in the same driver package/INF file? Obviously such a driver would work with all those devices, but one of my colleagues was under the impression that I won't be able to get this a driver signed. Is this true? I wasn't able to find any documents which stops me doing so. Thanks, Dave H *** Previously posted on microsoft.public.development.device.drivers.dtm. DaveH &l...

Money Data #2

incrementally find a file
Hi, Can someone show me how to incrementally find a file in a project inside the Visual Studio? That is, while you type the part of a file name, VS shows all the files that currently match the part you are typing. You can select one from the list of files whenever you spot the one interesting you. Please help. Thanks. Tony ...

Handling very large files (too many rows)
I'm trying to analyse a set of data. However, the data is a CSV fil with almost 1.5 million rows, which somewhat excedes the 65 thousand o so that excel can handle. However, excel is what I'm used to. If ther any convenient way to import so much data? Alternately, can anyon recomend a different means to observe and process that amount of data -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I really think that is way too much for Excel, even if you break it into bits. What you should use depends on how you want to analyse the data. Access can handle that quantity of data. Maybe, if...