Money doesn't allow you to specify state tax year?

I'm having a bit of a problem reconciling my estimated payments in a
report in MS Money 2004..

There seems to be a bit of inconsistency in the way it handles tax
payments..

On any payment that I enter under the category "Federal Income Taxes",
it asks me to which year the payment should apply.. This is correct
behavior, I imagine, as I  can pick "2003" or "2004"; likely when I
enter my 1/15/04 estimated payment, I will be prompted as to whether
the payment applies to "2004" or "2005".

However, when I enter a STATE payment, it never asks me for the year.
Is there a way to specify to which year a state tax payment should
apply? I have seen the "solution" of making a category named "State
Taxes - Previous Year" - however this still shows up in current-year
reports.

Why in the world does Money ask for a year for federal payments, not
state? Is there any way to allow this to happen?

...On another note.. I'm hoping for a big update in Money 2005. I
really haven't seen that much updated in Money since I started using
it in 1999; and man is it getting slow..! Any rumors of what may be
coming? If it's just another polishing up of the same thing, it may be
time to go..
0
tcp277 (2)
9/6/2004 6:57:35 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

"C. Todd" <tcp277@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a bit of a problem reconciling my estimated payments in a
> report in MS Money 2004..
>
> There seems to be a bit of inconsistency in the way it handles tax
> payments..
>
> On any payment that I enter under the category "Federal Income Taxes",
> it asks me to which year the payment should apply.. This is correct
> behavior, I imagine, as I  can pick "2003" or "2004"; likely when I
> enter my 1/15/04 estimated payment, I will be prompted as to whether
> the payment applies to "2004" or "2005".
>
> However, when I enter a STATE payment, it never asks me for the year.
> Is there a way to specify to which year a state tax payment should
> apply? I have seen the "solution" of making a category named "State
> Taxes - Previous Year" - however this still shows up in current-year
> reports.
>
> Why in the world does Money ask for a year for federal payments, not
> state? Is there any way to allow this to happen?

The " -Previous Year" category is a kludge, as it is.

A better way I read about in this group is to create a "Tax payments and
refunds" account.  If you make a 2005 tax payment in 2004, just make it a
transfer to that account.  This will stop it from showing up in this year's
taxes. When 2005 gets here, enter the actual tax payment in that account, or
enter the tax payment now with a future date.  Using a transfer to a
separate account allows you to break the link between when the payment is
made, and the year it counts towards.

In my case, I use it the other way:  If I have a refund or payment due after
the 2004 tax year ends, I'll enter it in the "Tax payments and refunds"
account with a date of 12-31-2004, then when my tax return is processed in
the January-March 2005 timeframe, I'll enter the refund or payment as a
transfer to/from my checking account.  This makes the apparent transaction
in my checking account happen in 2005, but keeps all the tax-categorized
transactions together in 2004.

I handle both my state and federal tax payments this way through the same
account.

--
Scott Tyler
agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com

0
Scott
9/6/2004 9:57:07 PM
Washington doesn't have a state income tax............................

"Why in the world does Money ask for a year for federal payments, not
state?"

--
Michael Gordon
MVP

"C. Todd" <tcp277@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a bit of a problem reconciling my estimated payments in a
> report in MS Money 2004..
>
> There seems to be a bit of inconsistency in the way it handles tax
> payments..
>
> On any payment that I enter under the category "Federal Income Taxes",
> it asks me to which year the payment should apply.. This is correct
> behavior, I imagine, as I  can pick "2003" or "2004"; likely when I
> enter my 1/15/04 estimated payment, I will be prompted as to whether
> the payment applies to "2004" or "2005".
>
> However, when I enter a STATE payment, it never asks me for the year.
> Is there a way to specify to which year a state tax payment should
> apply? I have seen the "solution" of making a category named "State
> Taxes - Previous Year" - however this still shows up in current-year
> reports.
>
> Why in the world does Money ask for a year for federal payments, not
> state? Is there any way to allow this to happen?
>

> ..On another note.. I'm hoping for a big update in Money 2005. I
> really haven't seen that much updated in Money since I started using
> it in 1999; and man is it getting slow..! Any rumors of what may be
> coming? If it's just another polishing up of the same thing, it may be
> time to go..

0
gordonm (1013)

Money #28
I have loaded money 2004 on my computer and I am trying to down load my bank statement. I keep getting an error message C:\window\tempoary Internet file\content.IE5 \4B7FYG9T\history(1).QFX is corrupt or is not a MNY. extension. How can I fix this? Money does not import the QFX file format. Does your bank offer OFX or QIF? Try one of those. "Howard Benson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28ebc01c4655c$967122d0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have loaded money 2004 on my computer and I am trying to > down load my bank statement. I keep getting an ...

formula for money additions & subtractions
I am trying to get a formula to calculate payroll deduction for cas register +/-. When an employee is over by $10 or under by $24, th difference comes out of thier check. Example: if somone is -25.00 for the month $1.00 would come out of th check. If someone is +11.00 then $1.00 would come out of the chec also. the +/- for the month is in one cell so i would like the formula to b able to read that cell and figure out if it is too much or little fo the deduction. this is the greatest sight that i have ever found and i hope someon can help me Thank you, Mik -- Message posted from http...

Money 2006 won't open
Recently had problems with the IE8 upgrade. It screwed up everything so much that I'm back with IE6, which seems to be working OK. But now MS-Money won't open. The msmoney.exe file is running because I can see it in Task Manager. Even when I end the process in Task Manager, the program still won't open on the desktop. Rebooting doesn't solve anything. Any ideas? Windows XP, SP3 Have you tried: 1) Opening the Money Sample data file? (This will isolate problems with your data file from problems with the application itself.) 2) Reinstalling Money? "snavegerg...

Allow a user to log on as a service as well as a user
I'm doing a blackberry enterprise install and need to allow the admin user for the berry install to log on a service as well. How do i configure the user this way? He is already configured as a admin user. -- Trinidad You configure this (usually) under the Local Security Policy in User Rights. -- Jim McBee Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com Directory Update - http://www.directory-update.com "nigel" <nigel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0202604E-5164-453F-B16C-FE7F97543FD4@microsoft.com... > I'm doing a blackberry enterprise install...

Net Worth Report on Money 2002
I have added a new liability account named "Home Equity Loan Account". It has a balance of approximately $15,000. Even though I have cleared and rechecked the account names in the reports section making sure that this new account has been marked for inclusion, it doesn't appear on the report. What corrective action should I investigate? ...

Money 2006 Investment Account balance display
I have two Investment Accounts (401k) in Money 2006 Deluxe. For some reason, Money stopped displaying the account totals on the Account List page. It used to show the account balances and the subtotal for all of my investment accounts. Additionally, I now notice that each account now has a second account with the same name, but has the word "Contributions" added in parenthesis. This seems to be new as well. The data in the accounts still seems alright. My investment subtotal on the Account list page shows a zero balance and there is no balance listed for the accounts the...

Money 2006 Standard
I've just started to use the Money 2006 and I'm trying to move from the Essential Budget to the Advanced Budget, but the software does not move to the selected option. Is there any action to correct this problem? I was using a very old Money version (97) and the file was converted without any problem with budget data in the Advanced format, but as I can't select the Advanced Budget I'm not able to change anything in it. Is it possible to somebody help me on solving this problem? Thank you very much -- Bob Campos Have you tried doing a File - Repair, Bob? -- Michael Gor...

Suggestion for enhancement to Money
Money 2003 contained a feature to track frequent flier miles and points, however you have to do it manually. It would be nice to have an update feature like with bank accounts and investments so a person doesn't have to type all that in. Well, it takes two to tango. Given that all of the airlines are in bankruptcy or are desperately trying to stay out of it and given how very few Money users care about this feature, I'd be really surprised to see Microsoft worry much about convincing the airlines to support such an interface. Besides, the banks don't do such a hot job with th...

Serious problem with Money Plus Deluxe
I have about 17 years worth of investment data in my Money file along with several years of credit card and checking account data. All of the investment transactions have been entered manually; the credit card and checking account data is downloaded online. Stock prices have been updated daily over at least the last dozen years. On Friday, after entering a bunch of new transactions which were accepted normally and shutting Money down, I tried to open my file again. After I entered my login info, Money gave me the memo that it had "encountered a problem and was shutting down.&qu...

Money 2007 H & B + Windows Vista
Hello, I have read a lot about problems with installing and using Money (2007) on machines running Windows Vista. Is there some kind of "manual" how to go about the install procedure? A manual that describes where to have the program installed installed and where to keep the data? And a manual that describes how to keep the rights as an administrator as you would normally have under windows XP? And maybe there are some other issues that I haven't thought about. Thanks, Eric "Eric" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:468fe69d$0$37724$5fc3050@dre...

Transaction error in Money 2007
Since TAXCUT is out and Money is free with it (Staples), I purchased and upgraded from 06 to 07. My first download resulted in a transaction on my Fidelity account that listed the sale of one mutual fund and the purchase of another. Following the prompts I accepted each transaction but received the following error: An error occurred but Money was unable to retrieve and display details about what happened. (Resource = rcmpiad. Error = 4061.) I have tried deleting the transaction but it continually says 1 transaction to read. I have run salvage and it claimed to fix some on-line issue...

Help! Can't Restore my "Old" Money 2005 Backup
Help! Can't Restore my "Old" Money 2005 Backup. Windows 2000 replaced by Windows XP Home on C:\Drive. D:\Drive contains data and Backup only. PC is on a wired Home Network . I recently upgraded from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Home. I wiped the C: Drive clean (formatted) and did a "Fresh" install of Windows XP Home. I reinstalled Microsoft Money 2005 Deluxe, then tried to restore my "old" 2005 Money Backup file (My Money Backup.mbf) from both D: Drive and USB thumbdrive. The Restore shows a default location ..."C:\Program Files \My Money.mny&quo...

Previous year data into chart
I currently have a whole table of data imported into Excel from Access. The only problem is, i cannot seem to import the data for the previous year using a query. With the data i would like to create a chart for the past 12 month, i.e the last 12 cells (as the data is taken monthly). Can i select data for the last 12 months that will remain the last 12 months even when the worksheet is refreshed every month? How my data looks: Date % Acknowledged % Investigated 09/2005 85 99 10/2005 ...

re-download MS Money instructions??
I purchased and "installed" MS Money Deluxe today on the Internet. I have the order confirmation and codes in hand. After removing my prior version of Money Deluxe 2006 ..I received a message saying that Money could not "install files needed" and for me to "re-download the program". Where/how do I "re-download: the program? the M S Money page that I found tells me to get the code and purchase information in hand...but..stops there. Is there a site I go to re- download? thanks for any help. Rich In microsoft.public.money, rich wrote: >I pur...

from Money 2004 to 2005 Small Biz Edition
I am sure that I can open the mny file at 2004. But its show error message when I upgrading my money file. The message show " Money Cannot locatemny file" or cannot open it,possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk is write protected. My Os is XP SP2 (T-Chinese). Is anybody upgraded successfully? I also have the same problem... What is the cause?? I cannot covert the 2004 file to 2005 version at any means.... "Jesse" <Jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6754B1C-D719-4DC1-807C-1D2CFD22AA...

Counting cells with particular month and year
Thanks to help previously received, I have been using this formula to count the number of referrals received in a particular month. Is it possible to include the year as well? =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(A2:A10)=Stats!A1),--(ISNUMBER(B2:B10))) Now the Year also included in the below formula the year reference cell is referred in B1 cell of STATS sheet. =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(A2:A10)=Stats!A1)*--(YEAR(A2:A10)=Stats!B1),--(ISNUMBER(B2:B10))) Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps! -------------------- (Ms-Exl-Learner) -------------------- "Saylindara" wrote: ...

Money 2004 Trial
For those who haven't found it yet, the Money 2004 Deluxe Trial (60-Day) is available from this Microsoft Website: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=57c72970-36ec-495b-ad60-110e08e57abb&DisplayLang=en Pretty cool for an unannounced product. Thanks for posting! "Harlan Landes" <google@harlanlandes.com> wrote in message news:56aa4573.0307212031.ae32bbe@posting.google.com... > For those who haven't found it yet, the Money 2004 Deluxe Trial > (60-Day) is available from this Microsoft Website: > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...

Cash withdrawal used a christmas money
Hello, I want to take some cash say 300.00 dollars and put 170.00 dollars away for Christmas and use the rest for misc expense. What is the best way to handle this in Money Plus? Thanks Frank Frank wrote: > I want to take some cash say 300.00 dollars and put 170.00 dollars > away for Christmas and use the rest for misc expense. What is the > best way to handle this in Money Plus? * Open a checking account at the bank. * Make a $300 withdrawal from your checking account. * Deposit $170 in the checking account; put $130 in your pocket. * Create a savings account in Money ...

Tax calculation for Quotes, Orders, Invoices
Although CRM v3.0 allows tax to be keyed in to an Order, it does not offer any automation in calculating tax for an order based on taxable line items and shipping location. Entering orders is a repetitive and time-consuming event, and so this calculation should be offered as a feature. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based N...

Money/MSN Money Locking up
I have a friend who is running Money 2005 Standard. He lost his hard file, but still had all his info in his Windows Live online account. After uninstalling and reinstalling Money (part of trying to get the backup files he had working) We had to login to his online account to pull the info down and save it into a hard file. As soon as we logoff from this first login and go back in Money locks up after successfully connecting (Doesn't matter if we log back in to the internet or run it offline). I tried to do this at home with Money 2006 and his online account with MS. And I get ...

Bank fees for BillPay via Money
I am getting nailed my Wells Fargo for using Money's BillPay feature. Is there a national bank out there that you can get this feature for free? And it works well with Money? Thanks Chaz Unless he is logging on to the bank's website and using "their" version of Bill Pay. My bank offers on line bill pay at a cost, but I don't use it. I use bill pay through Money and in about another month I should start getting charged for it. The two bill pays (Money's and the Banks) are both through check free. Bob <chaztel@msn.com> wrote in message news:uz8tgNDTDHA...

V8 Payment in strange state
We entered a payment that seems to have affected the debtor's balance but is not seen as a transaction against the debtor and is not posted. When we try to edit the transaction itself there is a claim that another user is editting the transaction. We've done check links and reconcile. Where do I look next? try using the automated solution in Customersource to clear the locked transactions. -- Microsoft Dynamics GP MVP http://ddelprado.blogspot.com "AndrewO" wrote: > We entered a payment that seems to have affected the debtor's balance but is > not seen...

specify DC when creating a RUS?
According to every KB article i read you can't specify a DC when creating a RUS, but i'm trying to create a RUS for a child domain and exchange is picking up a 'former' domain controller...i thought i'd re-domainprep the child domain to fix, but no luck..this is the scenario: Our child domain was blown away and restored by some lovely remote staff, and it didn't go so well. Anyhow, i'm trying to create a new recipient update service for the remote child domain and its defaulting to the name of a DC that no longer exists and I dont' have an option to chang...

Year End Close on Unit Accounts
Our FRX financials show at least the last 6 periods of data. On some of the financials we include unit accounts. Now that we rolled into the new year we noticed that units were in the BBF entry. Why would I want those brought forward? I suppose there a situations where this information is necessary but not in every instance. In our situation it totally distorts the YTD information. We show the number of hours that an aircraft flies month by month and would expect the YTD show total hours flown by year. Reading the posts it seems that this has not been fixed in version 8. We have...

HELP! Money 2004 Upgrade Problem!
I have all my files in Money 2003 Small Business. I got Money 2004 and found out that it was Standard, not Small Business - it wouldn't let me open my Accounts Receivable files, etc. Now I just want to get my files back for Money 2003 but it won't load the backups since they were converted to 2004! Any suggestions??? Thanks!!!! Evan. When you converted to M2004 there was a splash screen that said it was making a backup of your M2003 file and where it was. You need to navigate to that file with M2003 loaded, double click on it and M2003 will load as it was at the time you conver...