Money 98 'caching' *.mny file?

I know-- it is an antique.  But Money 98 works for me & I've tried to
upgrade once- spent a couple months to determine it would be more work
than it is worth. [I have a couple accounts that will not make the
change and I can't figure out why.]

So I upgrade my desktop and install Money 98.     I am struck with how
fast it loads, but figure it is the new processor.

I have  a home network & sometimes use the mny file on my laptop. but
when i synchronize the mny file- though it doesn't complain then- When
I open Money it says the file might be read only.   Or it might be in
use by another application.

I've checked attributes-  I've opened the backup of the file.  But I
can't open the mny file.

I've unchecked 'Bill reminders' - and checked all of the boxes in the
'options' dialog.  They are exactly the same as the old system.

Any thoughts?

Jim
0
Jim
3/26/2010 11:17:38 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

>I know-- it is an antique.  But Money 98 works for me & I've tried to
>upgrade once- spent a couple months to determine it would be more work
>than it is worth. [I have a couple accounts that will not make the
>change and I can't figure out why.]
>
>So I upgrade my desktop and install Money 98.     I am struck with how
>fast it loads, but figure it is the new processor.
>
>I have  a home network & sometimes use the mny file on my laptop. but
>when i synchronize the mny file- though it doesn't complain then- When
>I open Money it says the file might be read only.   Or it might be in
>use by another application.
>
>I've checked attributes-  I've opened the backup of the file.  But I
>can't open the mny file.
>
>I've unchecked 'Bill reminders' - and checked all of the boxes in the
>'options' dialog.  They are exactly the same as the old system.
>
>Any thoughts?

It is important that you *not* locate your file within the
\ProgramFiles folder.

Be sure that your Money and backup files are moved to a spot that
you will have full privileges to, such as with Documents.
If they are in a place like ProgramFiles, Vista or W7 will create an
impermanent copy of the file for the user to use, unless the user
explicitly right-clicks at launch and choose RunAsAdministrator
that time. The term you could read up on, if it matters to you, is
File Virtualization.

Also, if you have not yet done so, change your backup path from
 "C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\" to
 "C:\Users\username\Documents\"

0
Cal
3/26/2010 2:55:45 PM
Cal Learner-- MVP <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote:

>In microsoft.public.money, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
-snip-

>>So I upgrade my desktop and install Money 98.     I am struck with how
>>fast it loads, but figure it is the new processor.

Forgot to mention.  old box was XP-SP2.   New one is XP SP-3 with all
the newest updates.    [Laptop is XP S-3 & keeps current with updates.

-snip-

>It is important that you *not* locate your file within the
>\ProgramFiles folder.

Check. . .

>Be sure that your Money and backup files are moved to a spot that
>you will have full privileges to, such as with Documents.
>If they are in a place like ProgramFiles, Vista or W7 will create an
>impermanent copy of the file for the user to use, unless the user
>explicitly right-clicks at launch and choose RunAsAdministrator
>that time. The term you could read up on, if it matters to you, is
>File Virtualization.
>
>Also, if you have not yet done so, change your backup path from
> "C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\" to
> "C:\Users\username\Documents\"

I wondered if path mattered-- so I moved a backup to the same folder.
It opened the backup ok.   So I opened the backup on the other
computer. . . .closed it. . . opened it on the laptop.

So I tried to rename the original file from my laptop.  'access
denied'.   Went to the desktop & renamed the old file- named the
backup with the same name as the one that was giving me trouble.
Opened it and made changes. . . backed it up. . . and opened it on the
laptop with no problem.

I have no idea what I did- but for now, at least, I seem to be back in
business.

Thanks-
Jim
0
Jim

Excel 2007: File Extension Warning
I've created a file extension for Excel workbooks and associated the extension with Excel. No problem opening the file with older versions of Excel. With Excel 2007 I get a message stating that the file "is in a different format than specified by the file extension". I can select Yes to open the file, but I'd like to bypass this warning if possible. I tried adding the file's location to the Trusted Sources list, but that didn't affect this warning. Any suggestions? ...

writing non-ascii text to a file from an Excel functio
Hi, I'm very new to the world of Excel Macros and functions so please bear with me. I have cobbled together a VB function to export an XML document from Excel, the function allows the user to choose a column for export. The function will be used for multilingual export into various XML documents and as such must be able to export data *exactly* as it is in the Excel document. Problem is that all non-Latin characters are exported as question marks "?". The code that does the writting to the file is as follows: Print #iFileNum, "<?xml version=""1.0""...

Money 2006 Debt Reduction bug
I am trying to do a debt reduction scenerio on a Equity line. All the current amounts, rate and loan amounts are the same. I walk through the debt reduction specifiying a monthly amount + $0 on time payment. But for some reason in schedule me a $12000+ one time payment onthe first month. I have no idea where that comes from. Try it again with a $1 payment just to clear it out, same things. Is there a bug. ...

Money Market IRA
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C3F752.137C5480 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable At my last employer, they set up an employer-only contributed IRA. The = IRA is really a Money Market account that just accrues interest and has = no funds associated with it. Tax wise though it is seen as an IRA as no = taxes are paid on it until I withdraw the funds. What kind of account = should I set this up as in Money? I currently have it as an investment = account and just input the interest as Ot...

MS Money 2003 Deluxe computing error & zero support
2-26-04 My version of MS Money 2003 Deluxe miscalculates an equity current value in the Account List page. Then total value for that firm is wrong, total investments is wrong, ad ininitum. So product is unworthy of further use. Also when I seek on-line support I am put into an infinite loop of pick an item, sent to "click here" and sent back to where I started. Not much support there! Guess I'll move onto Quicken and learn my lesson not to waste my money on lousy Microsoft Money again. In microsoft.public.money, JB wrote: >Guess I'll move onto Quicken alt.comp...

how to open a .pst file(data file in outlook) programmatically?
I need to open a pst file to get the calendar data inside, I need c++ code, of course , vba code is welcome, thanks for any help. You will find documentation of the Outlook Automation interface in a file with a name like VBAOL11.CHM. (The "11" represents the 2003 version of Office. Office XP is "10", Office 2000 is "9", etc. All this documentation is written with VBA in mind, but it is easily adaptable to C++. You'll start with the Application object, get the "MAPI" Namespace, and from it get the default folder for olFolderCalendar. "Ro...

Can't open .pub files
I have Publisher 2003. Once I save a project, I can't open it again. When I select the .pub file to open, Publisher opens and then says "Publisher cannot find the file you specified", then when the Open Publication window pops up, I choose the project that I want to open, then I get "Publisher cannot open the file." What am I missing? Maybe the following article will be useful: (329820) How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 -- John Inzer "Littledickens22" <Littledickens22@dis...

Sheet vs File size when sending email in Outlook
In a workbook with a single sheet, if I use "File, Send to, Mail Recipient" the recipient gets an email larger than 3MB, but if I choose "File, Send to, Mail Recipient (as Attachment)", they get an email less than 1MB. I prefer the former as the recipient gets a message with the info in the message body, rather than an attachment, but the file size (arriving in Outlook) is becoming and issue. The excel formatting also needs to be retained. Suggestions? Many thanks, Mike :confused: -- matchball ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

Money 2001 #11
error message appears after entering new transaction in new account in portfolio " M Money has encountered a problem and needs to close" after which the computer either locks up or shuts down. Further attempts to click on investing/portfolio result in the computer shut down. I'm stymmied. ...

Success!! Money Plus data imported into M2002
Just finished exporting my Money Plus data and importing it back into Money 2002. All account balances and portfolio numbers match to the penny in both the Plus and M2002 files and all reports I tested produce the exact same results with both files. I also scanned all the account registers and everything looks perfect. The import was a success. Since M2002 has every material feature of Money Plus (except Nuke the Bills) and it cannot be expired by MSFT, I can continue to use it forever. M2002 automatically imports OFX files which is what I use to download my transaction data from all bank...

I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open?
I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open? Try to open it on another machine. If you get the same result the file is possibly corrupt and un-openable. -- Regards - Andy Wiggins FCCA www.BygSoftware.com Excel, Access and VBA Consultancy "Alanb" <Alanb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43A12AA1-9E02-4B67-9BC8-88CD2D613240@microsoft.com... > I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open? From where are you trying to open? If on removable media, copy first to hard drive then open from there. Alterna...

Money Plus install problems
Help!!! I have a laptop running XP Home. Attempted to upgrade Money 2007 to Money Plus. The money plus install failed to load all the necessary componets, and suggested I try to reinstall. Same result with second attempts. Wrote MS an email describing problem. Received two emails with 45 step process that was to correct a known problem. As you probably guessed this did not solve my install problem. Anyone else run into this problem, and have a resolution? Thanks in advance I'm also having installation problems with MS Money Plus Deluxe on my laptop which has Windows Vist...

Why does an Excel 2007 file lose its format when reopened?
An Excel 2007 file (e.g. File.xlsx) loses its formatting when it is reopened. You may have too many cell formats/styles. To see if that's possibly true, click on the Cell Styles "More" arrow and see if you have a gazillion styles showing. If that's true, you can remove unused styles by saving the workbook as a web page, closing, reopening, save as a normal workbook. "Chrystopher" wrote: > An Excel 2007 file (e.g. File.xlsx) loses its formatting when it is reopened. ...

Backing up Money File to CD
Hello. I have been trying to figure out how to backup my family financial file in Money to a CD-RW. I can't seem to find the way to select the CD drive. Money only offers backup to a floppy drive. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks for any help you can give. Burt http://www.umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=51 -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www....

Save a file name in Japanese
How can I save a spreadsheet with japanese characters. I get zip files from co-workers in Japan that contain file names with Japanese characters but of course when I save them the file names become corrupt. I have to open each workbook to see what it is. Thanks! Brian ...

Monitoring a directory? Importing excel files
Hi all, I have a function set up in Access to import data from excel files. To do this, I send the file name as an argument and run the code. This is easy enough when it's only a few files, but since I have over 100 I'm looking for a way to streamline this process. Is is possible to set something up to monitor a directory, and run the code when a new file is placed there? Or any other ideas? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any insight. Check what Randy Birch has at http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/fileapi/watchedfolder.htm Obligatory warning: Randy's site is aimed at VB prog...

Recovering Outlook 2002 Email Files from corrupted HD
I have a corrupted hard drive that won't boot, but the file structure appears intact. I have an auto archive file that restores everything over 2 weeks old. Where can I recover the last 2 weeks worth of email? Thanks for any help I can get on this. Search for pst-files. Make sure you include hidden en system files/folder during your search. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pac...

Open 2003 files with 2007
Hello all, I just upgraded my Office 2003 with Office 2007 on an EP Pro machine. The only snaffoo I find(so far..) is with Excel 2007. When I double-click on an Excel 2003 file, Excel 2007 starts up just fine, BUT my file is not displayed. At that point if I click the Restore button up at top-right, the file appears when Excel is restored up or down, then all is well. Anyone have any idea whats up with that and how to fix it??? Thanks John Lots of people have complained that when they doubleclick on a file in windows explorer, that the workbook doesn't seem to show up in xl20...

Importing files into CRM 3.0
Hello. 2 quick questions; 1) I have an Excel file that I would like to import into CRM 3.0, to update some information? How do (CAN) I go about doing that? 2) If I can import this file, some of the fields have formulas associated with them (like adding a few cells together,) will that be harmful to a successful import? Thanks so much! The CRM import wizard will not perform updates for existing records. It will only create new records. Anything like formulas may cause the import to break or be interpreted as additional columns etc You check out the scribe tools for more advanced imp...

saving excel file as tab delimited
i am trying to save a excel file , and one of the cells in the file ha a string with a ',' and when saved as a tab delimited file , ""[Doubl Quotes] are printed around the string that was in the cell. EG: NOTE: If conduit is needed*, it * must be in place before vendors ar dispatched to complete any site work when saved as tab delimted file is saved as \" [/B] NOTE: IF CONDUIT IS NEEDED, IT MUST BE IN PLACE BEFORE VENDOR ARE DISPATCHED TO COMPLETE ANY SITE WORK[B]\" I do not want to see double quotes around the string in the ta delimited file. -- kirshr...

How can a split a PUB file into multiple parts?
I cannot find the way to divide a large (150 pg) PUB file into smaller parts. I also want to find out how to extract a single page (the cover) and open only it as a new file. Save your publication with a new name. What version Publisher? If you have 2007 you can select consecutive pages by pressing shift and selecting the page tabs you want to delete. Or press control if the pages are not consecutive. Once deleted, save as a new file. Open the old file again, delete all the pages you don't want and save again with a new name and so on until you have all the sections you need. If ...

Missing password in DSN file

Multiple BackEnd Files
I'm considering breaking our backend file into multiple files. The only way I've read to do so will break any relationship between files, which would be a chore to relink. That technique involved creating multiple be files, then importing the appropriate tables into each from the un-split original file, then delete the original tables from the un-split original file. 2 questions: 1) What's your opinions on the benefits of multiple-file backend vs single-file backend? (I have at least 1 set of tables that need to be separate for privacy concerns) b) What technique can be used...

two identical copies of the same file in Excel
When I open Excel from our network I get two identical copies of the same file. What ever I do to one happens in the other. If I close, for example, WireList.xls:1, WireList.xls:2 closes. If I change WireList.xls:1, WireList.xls:2 changes. What causes two copies of the same file to open Running in Windows 2000 Professional, Excel 97 SR2(I Thanks! Press Ctrl + F4 to close one window, then save the workbook. This happened because somebody saved the workbook while 2 windows were open. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Clint Eastwood" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Gen'l Money 2007 Question
Hello,, This year I've decided to expand my use of Money 2007, to begin a more analytical look at my budget & spending. One question I do have is when categorizing payments to a credit card and/or equity loans. Should I record the expense and categorize it to it's appropriate category at the time the item initially appears on the credit card/equity loan?? Or should I expense it at the time of payment?? If I should do it at the time the item is recorded on the creditcard, what would be the best way to categorize the payment?? I'm not certain what is the correct way to do this. ...