Money 2003 to Money 2004

I had a catastrophic HDD crash the other day, of course my data was backed
up. I have been using the standard version of Money 2003 for a couple years
and like it. My new PC comes with Money 2004 loaded.

Will there be any problem with 2004 reading the 2003 file? Any compelling
reason to upgrade to 2004? Or should I just stick to the familiar 2003?

Thanks for any input!!!

0
rhinnc (42)
12/2/2004 12:07:24 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, RHinNC wrote:

>I had a catastrophic HDD crash the other day, of course my data was backed
>up. I have been using the standard version of Money 2003 for a couple years
>and like it. My new PC comes with Money 2004 loaded.
>
>Will there be any problem with 2004 reading the 2003 file? Any compelling
>reason to upgrade to 2004? Or should I just stick to the familiar 2003?

If you were using Money 2003 Deluxe, you would lose some function
going to Money 2004 Standard. If you were using Money 2003 Standard,
you would be better off to go to the Money 2004 Standard.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
12/2/2004 12:42:25 AM
Assuming that both are for the same localization (i.e., US or UK or
whatever) and the you aren't downgrading editions (Deluxe->Standard), there
will probably be no problem upgrading your data file. M04 is almost a carbon
copy of M03. There weren't many compelling reasons to buy the upgrade.
Likewise, there aren't many compelling reasons not to if the M04 is already
paid for.

"RHinNC" <rhinnc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I had a catastrophic HDD crash the other day, of course my data was backed
> up. I have been using the standard version of Money 2003 for a couple
years
> and like it. My new PC comes with Money 2004 loaded.
>
> Will there be any problem with 2004 reading the 2003 file? Any compelling
> reason to upgrade to 2004? Or should I just stick to the familiar 2003?
>
> Thanks for any input!!!

Thanks for the responses.

My new PC comes with the standard version of 2004 and I have been using the
standard version of 2003.

When you say "upgrading" my data file, would you please explain? Does that
mean I can simply copy my data file to my new PC, start 04 and load the 03
file?

Thanks again.

message news:e1cTchA2EHA.3408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Assuming that both are for the same localization (i.e., US or UK or
> whatever) and the you aren't downgrading editions (Deluxe->Standard),
there
> will probably be no problem upgrading your data file. M04 is almost a
carbon
> copy of M03. There weren't many compelling reasons to buy the upgrade.
> Likewise, there aren't many compelling reasons not to if the M04 is
already
> paid for.
>
> "RHinNC" <rhinnc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I had a catastrophic HDD crash the other day, of course my data was
backed
> > up. I have been using the standard version of Money 2003 for a couple
> years
> > and like it. My new PC comes with Money 2004 loaded.
> >
> > Will there be any problem with 2004 reading the 2003 file? Any
compelling
> > reason to upgrade to 2004? Or should I just stick to the familiar 2003?
> >
> > Thanks for any input!!!

0
rhinnc (42)
12/2/2004 2:12:40 AM
Pretty much. Once you copy the .MNY file from the M03 machine to the new
machine--put it in My Documents--you can double click on it. M04 will
recognize the file as an M03 file and walk you through a process where it
saves a copy, renames, then migrates the data to the M04 data structures.
There will be a dialog box explaining what it is doing.

For most users this is a pretty painless process that takes only a few
minutes. Some have worse experiences--these typically seem to involve files
that already have some form of "corruption"--but this is a rare experience.

Always keep backups of your backups.

> Thanks for the responses.
>
> My new PC comes with the standard version of 2004 and I have been using
> the
> standard version of 2003.
>
> When you say "upgrading" my data file, would you please explain? Does that
> mean I can simply copy my data file to my new PC, start 04 and load the 03
> file?

Thanks Dick,

I have learned years ago! I have been backing up my money file daily on a
different Zip disk for several years. And once a week I back up to floppies.
Learned the hard way....

message news:eUOGilB2EHA.1452@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Pretty much. Once you copy the .MNY file from the M03 machine to the new
> machine--put it in My Documents--you can double click on it. M04 will
> recognize the file as an M03 file and walk you through a process where it
> saves a copy, renames, then migrates the data to the M04 data structures.
> There will be a dialog box explaining what it is doing.
>
> For most users this is a pretty painless process that takes only a few
> minutes. Some have worse experiences--these typically seem to involve
files
> that already have some form of "corruption"--but this is a rare
experience.

> Always keep backups of your backups.
>
> "RHinNC" <rhinnc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the responses.
> >
> > My new PC comes with the standard version of 2004 and I have been using
> > the
> > standard version of 2003.
> >
> > When you say "upgrading" my data file, would you please explain? Does
that
> > mean I can simply copy my data file to my new PC, start 04 and load the
03
> > file?

0
rhinnc (42)

MSN BillPay: free service with 2004 & payment timing...
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C3E71B.55CAC070 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Two questions from a new MSN BillPay user: (1) I just bought Money 2004 Premium and it has 2yrs of free MSN = BillPay. However, after I signed up, it shows I have zero free months. = I've looked everywhere trying to find where you're supposed to say "I = got money", but no luck. (2) When I schedule to pay a bill, say one month from today, It gets = entered into my register effective...

Printing Color-Coded Worksheet in Black & White Mode in Excel 2003
I work with farily complex Excel worksheets which require print outs as both hard copy and PDF. I normally keep the formatting as they are and select [Black and White] in [Page Setup] [Sheet], as this preserves the integrity of the financial model while printing out a clean copy for the enduser. However, this function basically converts everyting color-coded to black & white, including cell shading patterns; I normally accentuate certain important cells by shading them in black and using a white font color. While I want the output to be black & white, I do want to preserve this p...

Outlook 2003 HTML emails
Hi, I am using Outlook 2003 under WinXP SP3 with all updates installed. Quite often I receive HTML emails that has one of more solid lines to the left of the text and/or pictures in the body of the message. I suspect that these lines are the HTML equivalent of > found in forwarded plain text messages. Can anyone suggest how I can clean up the email by deleting the solid line(s) before forwarding the message on to other recipients? -- Cheers . . . JC In article <3n7o451ierhkjb2dltgturi1bu6m5fh94l@4ax.com>, jc@invalid.net says... > Hi, > > I am using Outlook 2003 unde...

Re: Outlook 2003, can it look like OXP?
The Preview Pane is now called the reading Pane. Go to the View drop down menu, go to Reading Pane submenu, select Bottom. The layout will be more like XP. The Folder List and the outlook Bar buttons will stay the way they are off to the left. -Patrick "John Smith" <etacr11inst@hotmail.com> wrote in news:e3LvfVUpDHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl: > The Preview Pane is now called the reading Pane. Go to the View drop > down menu, go to Reading Pane submenu, select Bottom. The layout will > be more like XP. The Folder List and the outlook Bar buttons will stay > the...

Migration Wizard in Exchange 2003
Hello, I am migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 using the Inter-Organization Migration Method utilizing the Migration Wizard. I understand that the Migration Wizard migrates the Exchange Directory and Mailbox Data to Exchange 2003. How can I prevent it from migration the directory and migrate only the mailbox data (just like exmerge)? What I am noticing, the migrated user ends up with several e-mail address of various type which is coming from 5.5. I don't want that junk in my new Exchange 2003 environment specially when they are worthless because they don't exist. When I cre...

InvalidCastException in outlook 2003
Hi In my VB.net application i got on different times (and not allways) an System.InvalidCastException. The line of code is: objAppointmentItem = objItems.GetFirst Does anyone know what to do??? Peter Are you testing first for any items in the collection? Are you sure that all the items you are getting are really AppointmentItem? -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm "Peter van der Veen" <...

Exchange 2003 doesnt send email while logged on
When im logged onto the server using RDP or from the server console itself all of my SMTP outbound smtp emails are queued. Once I log off the server everything works correctly. The accounts im using to log on are the domain admins accounts and even the local admin account, neither works. I tried running domainprep and forestprep while logged on as domain admin but that didn't resolve the issue. Any ideas?? On 8 May 2006 07:53:00 -0700, Bbruce2k5@gmail.com wrote: >When im logged onto the server using RDP or from the server console >itself all of my SMTP outbound smtp emails a...

Open file Slow on Excel 2003
We have upgraded our Office 2000 to 2003 and after the upgrade the response time to open a file on the network or C drive is slow. Once you have click on down arrow next to the look in box it takes a few seconds to respond. All the patches have been loaded. We are running windows XP Any suggetions ...

Public folder Exchange 2003 #2
When I trying to set client permission on public folder I get the following message: Unable to create the required MAPI profile. Please verify that you have sufficient permissions to write to the MAPISVC.INF file. c103073a I have migrated from Exchange server 2000, but I still have the old server running. It doesn’t seem to be a problem with public folders created before Exchange 2003 server, just the new ones. Regards Per Per <Per@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I trying to set client permission on public folder I get the following >message: > >Unable to...

Pocket PC - Money 2004
Hello, My hard-drive crashed on my computer and I had to install a new one. The only workable backup file I have for my Microsoft Money is on my Pocket PC. Is there a way for me to use the file on my Pocket PC on my new computer? I tried http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/276.aspx and it's not working. Maybe that tutorial was designed for a newer version of Microsoft Money? JJ The readme, which the article is based on, has been around for a while. In any case, the data on your client will almost surely be incomplete. -- Michael Gordon MVP "JJ" <JJ@discussions.mic...

Outlook 2003 and Hotmail #2
OL2K3 does not play nicely with Hotmail, regardless of what the marketing people want you to believe. Every time I fire up OL2K3 and do a global "Send and Receive" I get an error list like this: www.raindayspa.ca/emailerrors.gif On a mass email recieve like that, my Hotmail folders almost never populate. I assure you my passwords and logins are correct -- after closing the error window I can access the HM accounts individually and OL2K3 will retrieve the mail. What's more, Hotmail access is still slow. In contrast, OE6 integrates hotmail without any fusses. You'd think th...

Install 2003 with 2002
I have Office 2002 with Outlook 2002. Can I install Outlook 2003 (I bought the stand alone program) and have them both running on Windows XP or must I uninstall Outlook 2002 prior to installing 2003? Dale Only one version of Outlook can be installed on a given drive partition at a time. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:103ctds37ffvnf6@corp.supernews.com, Dale Ireland wrote: > I have Office 2002 with Outlook 2002. Can I install Outlook 2003 (...

Excel 2003 calculation set to manual after an update was run
Hi I have an user which uses alot of formulas. Updates ran about 2 weeks ago and since then any spreadsheets she worked on she needs to set the calculations from manual to automatic. When she does start a new spreadsheet calculations is set to automatic, but I need fix the problem with the previous spreadsheets. This setting is saved with the workbook. Just open each of the manual workbooks, set the mode to Automatic and save the workbook. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200735 "AntonZA2" wrote: > Hi > > I have an user which uses alot of formulas. Updates ran a...

Adding and removing Exchange 2003 Servers
I currently have 1 front end exchange server and 4 back end exchange servers. I am adding 2 larger backend servers. I want to migrate the first for server mailboxes to the 2 lager servers and then remove the first 4 server from my exchange env. Since my front end server is staying in place, and I add the two new server in before i remove the others should I have SMTP routing issues when I remove the first four back end servers. Can anyone suggest the best way to to what I am about to do, am I on the right track. Thanks, Mike I just wanted to add. The current front end server is EX20...

OWA 5.5 with Exchange 2003 Backend
Does anyone know if OWA 5.5 (Only OWA components installed) will access Exchange 2003 backend mailboxes? Does an Exchange 5.5 server need to be running in the site? Any insight would be helpful TIA! "Scott" <swilliams@internosis.com> wrote in message news:OVyMlHGjEHA.1904@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if OWA 5.5 (Only OWA components installed) will access > Exchange 2003 backend mailboxes? Does an Exchange 5.5 server need to be > running in the site? > > Any insight would be helpful > > TIA! You might try this; it's for E2K, but I t...

Upgrading to 2004 in MacBook Pro
I purchased my Office 2004 for use on my powerbook G4 as an upgrade to Classic (actually OS8.6) software on my old tower. I brought across the Classic files and part of the old system files so the installer would spot them and install the new OSX compatible software. So in MacBook Pro there is no Classic environment as I understand it. When I try to install the Office 2004 upgrade, do I still need to import the oldie files, and if so which files specifically are required for the installer to be satisfied? Jack Other reports here have confirmed that you can use the drag-and-drop install meth...

Latest Money 2005 update
Does anyone know if there is an official list of fixes that are included in the latest Money 2005 update? Thanks! Nothing published that I know of. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "Alex P." <Alex P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E68...

Exchange 2000/2003 Routing Problems
I recently added a new Exchange 2003 server to our 1 server Exchange 2000 org. I am able to send mail from the new Exchange 2003 server to the 2000 server. But when I send to the 2003 server the mail does not go delivered. I am assuming this is a routing issue. How can I troubleshoot this? Should each server be in a seperate routing group and use a routing group connector? They are currently i n the same routing group. Thanks, Forest In case anyone has this problem my STMP connector was setup to use a smart relay. I had to check the box that said attempt local delivery before using...

MONEY 2005 TAX ESTIMATOR
Please confirm that the tax estimator does NOT ACCURATELY account for qulified dividends in its calculations. Although the field is there to report as full dividend or as qualified dividend (at capital gain rates)the program doesn't calculate correctly? I know there are other problems, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. Thanks. Steve. There seems to be no way to tell it which dividends are qualified and which are not. Therefore, it seems reasonable to assume that TE doesn't account for the difference. "Steve" <sjcohen730@aol.com> wrote ...

Money 2003 Installer Terminated Prematurely
I downloaded the trial version of Money 2003 to see if it would work with my new HP 2215 running Pocket PC 2003 (I used the workaround instructions for installing Pocket Money 2003). The installation goes all the way to the end (based on the bar graph), then I get the message "Installer Terminated Prematurely." After I click OK, I get the message "The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request." Anybody have any ideas? In microsoft.public.money, Jim Hughes wrote: >I downloaded the trial version of Money 2003 to see if it...

Going Back to 2003
How do I go back to office 2003. Too many problems with the beta -- ray What problems do you have with the beta? Going back can be as simple as uninstalling 2007 and reinstalling 2003, but it is also very likely that you'll run into trouble. I'd only go back if your problems cannot be solved. Patrick Schmid -------------- http://pschmid.net "raymi" <raymi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9721EB11-A922-4FD9-999A-F8B7D69D0D65@microsoft.com: > How do I go back to office 2003. Too many problems with the beta > > -- > ray the best way...

ISP Host Exchange 2003, can't have users see other users personal info??
I want to use Exchange in a hosted ISP environment. I can't have every user see every other user and their personal information in the GAL. Is there an easy way to set this up so only select users (like Admin or Support) show up in the GAL for a normal users and keep the full GAL viewable for Administrators or a select user group (like Marketing?) Thanks!! Exchange 2000+ does not maintain it's own GAL, Acive Directory does. So you need to design permissions in accordance with your business needs. Start here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262183 http://sup...

Outlook 2003 #70
Hello, I am running Outlook 2003 on Windows XP Pro connected to a Windows Server 2000 (Standard) and Exchange 2000 (standard) domain. When I send email I am unable to select any contacts other than those in the Global Address List. I have contacts stored locally in my Contacts folder and also on Public Folders. I am able to select Public Folders, but not any subfolders. I just am not sure what I am missing in order to select local contacts. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris Do you get any errors and are the Contact folders enabled as an email address book, to chec...

Publisher 98, 2003 and Adobe
I have created a document on 98, but need it converting to pdf. When I send it to a friend (who has Adobe and Publisher 2003) all the formatting changes when he opens it in Publisher 2003 prior to printing it to Adobe. The font (Rockwell 12) appears larger and stuff doesn't now fit in, pages overspill etc. So how can my friend open the file exactly as I saved it? Something that I felt pleased with is now really bugging me! Thanks Andy You are going to lose formatting converting a 98 file to 2003. It could help to use default fonts such as Times or Arial. Rockwell shipped with Pu...

Security setting lost by some AD Users after migration from Exchange 2000 to 2003
Hi, I'm doing a migration from an old Server Windows 2000 AS + Exchange 2000, to a new Server Window 2003 + Exchange 2003. Both servers are Domain controllers of the same domain (migrated to 2003 structure several monthes ago). I just moved all the mailboxes from the old to the new Server and had some surprises. First of all, I lost all the "Send As" rights I had on some mailboxes (from the Security Tab of the associated user in AD). That's not bad, apart that I had to reset all the permissions by hand. The bad news is that 2 of this associated users don't retain the sec...