Money 2000 Windows XP SP2 Password problems

Hi.
* I have reformatted my hard drive (On a Compaq Table 
TC1000) & reinstalled Windows XP Pro Tablet.  
* I have then installed the Windows XP SP2.  I then 
restored my backups, which included my mny data file from 
Money 2000.  
* I then (amongst other software installs) installed 
Money from the original CD.
* When I tried to start Money, it asks for the password 
as usual BUT it doesn't accept the usual password.
* I have checked that it is the right file, checked Caps 
Lock, typed carefully several times - to no avail.
* Are you aware of any problems with Money 2000 & SP2?  I 
am reluctant to blame SP2 for everything as some are want 
to do but the rest of what I have done seems OK.
** Any help of course very much appreciated.  Regards.  
Andy
0
9/2/2004 8:38:45 PM
money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

3 Replies
252 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 1

This error can also mean that you have an earlier version installed than 
that which you used to create the .mny file.

Try doing an internet update in Money to see if there are any updates to 
Money that might upgrade M2000 so that it will read your file.

If that doesn't work you could try downloading the M2004 trial and seeing if 
that will read your .mny file. But please note that M2005 is about to hit 
the streets so don't commit to buying M2204. Also note that Money is not 
backwards compatible so the .mny file created by M2004 cannot be read by 
earlier versions. You would have to revert to a saved copy of the .mny 
dating before you tried M2004.

-- 
Regards
Bob Peel,
Microsoft MVP - Money

For UK tips & fixes see 
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny.
For wishes or suggestions see 
http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp
or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback

"Andy Hay" <MicrosoftNewsgroups@computerTeam.co.nz> wrote in message 
news:535501c4912c$d760f260$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi.
> * I have reformatted my hard drive (On a Compaq Table
> TC1000) & reinstalled Windows XP Pro Tablet.
> * I have then installed the Windows XP SP2.  I then
> restored my backups, which included my mny data file from
> Money 2000.
> * I then (amongst other software installs) installed
> Money from the original CD.
> * When I tried to start Money, it asks for the password
> as usual BUT it doesn't accept the usual password.
> * I have checked that it is the right file, checked Caps
> Lock, typed carefully several times - to no avail.
> * Are you aware of any problems with Money 2000 & SP2?  I
> am reluctant to blame SP2 for everything as some are want
> to do but the rest of what I have done seems OK.
> ** Any help of course very much appreciated.  Regards.
> Andy 


0
SPAM5796 (251)
9/2/2004 9:17:22 PM
You are right Bob - it was an earlier version.
I was installing my software following my log from the 
last time but had overlooked the fact that I had put 2002 
on later, with the subsequent updating of the mny file.  
Sorry <embarassed sad smile>.  I guess I wish that the 
error message was a little more specific but then again 
2000 wouldn't have known about 2002 ...
>-----Original Message-----
>This error can also mean that you have an earlier 
version installed than 
>that which you used to create the .mny file.
>
>Try doing an internet update in Money to see if there 
are any updates to 
>Money that might upgrade M2000 so that it will read your 
file.
>
>If that doesn't work you could try downloading the M2004 
trial and seeing if 
>that will read your .mny file. But please note that 
M2005 is about to hit 
>the streets so don't commit to buying M2204. Also note 
that Money is not 
>backwards compatible so the .mny file created by M2004 
cannot be read by 
>earlier versions. You would have to revert to a saved 
copy of the .mny 
>dating before you tried M2004.
>
>-- 
>Regards
>Bob Peel,
>Microsoft MVP - Money
>
>For UK tips & fixes see 
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-
GB;mny.
>For wishes or suggestions see 
>http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp
>or for UK wishes 
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback
>
>"Andy Hay" <MicrosoftNewsgroups@computerTeam.co.nz> 
wrote in message 
>news:535501c4912c$d760f260$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>> Hi.
>> * I have reformatted my hard drive (On a Compaq Table
>> TC1000) & reinstalled Windows XP Pro Tablet.
>> * I have then installed the Windows XP SP2.  I then
>> restored my backups, which included my mny data file 
from
>> Money 2000.
>> * I then (amongst other software installs) installed
>> Money from the original CD.
>> * When I tried to start Money, it asks for the password
>> as usual BUT it doesn't accept the usual password.
>> * I have checked that it is the right file, checked 
Caps
>> Lock, typed carefully several times - to no avail.
>> * Are you aware of any problems with Money 2000 & 
SP2?  I
>> am reluctant to blame SP2 for everything as some are 
want
>> to do but the rest of what I have done seems OK.
>> ** Any help of course very much appreciated.  Regards.
>> Andy 
>
>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74718)
9/4/2004 7:04:00 AM
We have been trying to persuade MS that for future versions they should 
include some code to somehow test for a later version that wrote the file. 
Can't be made retrospective unfortunately.

You could join the party by making a suggestion to the wishes area in my 
sig. The more requests they get, the higher up the "lets do it if we have 
time" list.

-- 
Regards
Bob Peel,
Microsoft MVP - Money

For UK tips & fixes see 
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny.
For wishes or suggestions see 
http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp
or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback

"Andy Hay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:603201c4924d$5af884f0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> You are right Bob - it was an earlier version.
> I was installing my software following my log from the
> last time but had overlooked the fact that I had put 2002
> on later, with the subsequent updating of the mny file.
> Sorry <embarassed sad smile>.  I guess I wish that the
> error message was a little more specific but then again
> 2000 wouldn't have known about 2002 ...
>>-----Original Message-----
>>This error can also mean that you have an earlier
> version installed than
>>that which you used to create the .mny file.
>>
>>Try doing an internet update in Money to see if there
> are any updates to
>>Money that might upgrade M2000 so that it will read your
> file.
>>
>>If that doesn't work you could try downloading the M2004
> trial and seeing if
>>that will read your .mny file. But please note that
> M2005 is about to hit
>>the streets so don't commit to buying M2204. Also note
> that Money is not
>>backwards compatible so the .mny file created by M2004
> cannot be read by
>>earlier versions. You would have to revert to a saved
> copy of the .mny
>>dating before you tried M2004.
>>
>>-- 
>>Regards
>>Bob Peel,
>>Microsoft MVP - Money
>>
>>For UK tips & fixes see
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-
> GB;mny.
>>For wishes or suggestions see
>>http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp
>>or for UK wishes
> http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback
>>
>>"Andy Hay" <MicrosoftNewsgroups@computerTeam.co.nz>
> wrote in message
>>news:535501c4912c$d760f260$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>>> Hi.
>>> * I have reformatted my hard drive (On a Compaq Table
>>> TC1000) & reinstalled Windows XP Pro Tablet.
>>> * I have then installed the Windows XP SP2.  I then
>>> restored my backups, which included my mny data file
> from
>>> Money 2000.
>>> * I then (amongst other software installs) installed
>>> Money from the original CD.
>>> * When I tried to start Money, it asks for the password
>>> as usual BUT it doesn't accept the usual password.
>>> * I have checked that it is the right file, checked
> Caps
>>> Lock, typed carefully several times - to no avail.
>>> * Are you aware of any problems with Money 2000 &
> SP2?  I
>>> am reluctant to blame SP2 for everything as some are
> want
>>> to do but the rest of what I have done seems OK.
>>> ** Any help of course very much appreciated.  Regards.
>>> Andy
>>
>>
>>.
>> 


0
SPAM5796 (251)
9/4/2004 7:46:38 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Two computers, one Money file.
I want to use Money on my business laptop and my home desktop, and I want the two to synchronize (possibly via online sync.). Does anyone know if this is possible? Would I need to buy an additional license? Thanks. Uffe. In microsoft.public.money, Uffe Henrichsen wrote: >I want to use Money on my business laptop and my home desktop, and I want >the two to synchronize (possibly via online sync.). Does anyone know if this >is possible? Would I need to buy an additional license? Thanks. See FAQ available at http://umpmfaq.info/faq.html for information on accessing the same dat...

asking for password but never set one
I have been using Money 2007 for the last several months without issue (have been using prior versions for past several years). I haven;t upgraded anything for awhile. Today my computer crashed while Money was running. Upon restarting Money, it now asks for a password for the file. I never set one! None of my usual passwords work, nor do i even get to the point of asking me for a passport password. I don't know what the heck is going on. It seems people get this problem when using different versions of Money.. but i haven't changed anyting. It seems my file got corrupt but i n...

Money Money Money !! Agloco !!
Hi ... I recently joined AGLOCO because of a friend recommended it to me. I am now promoting it to you because I like the idea and I want you to share in what I think will be an exciting new Internet concept. Sign in : http://www.agloco.com/r/BBBV9253 Detailed =DDnfo : http://www.ulasbeldesi.com/agloco_en.html AGLOCO's story is simple: Do you realize how valuable you are? Advertisers, search providers and online retailers are paying billions to reach you while you surf. How much of that money are you making? NONE! AGLOCO thinks you deserve a piece of the action. AGLOCO collects ...

Move folder in XP
Hi, The following macro takes files that are in one directory ("C:\Fishbowl\Req_Serv\one"), and puts them in a newly created directory ("C:\Fishbowl\Solved_Service_Cases\one". This works in Excel 2000 running on 98, but does not work in Excel 2000 running on XP. In 98, this creates a new subdir named "one" under "Solved_Service_Cases" and MOVES everything from the first directory into it. (Before running this macro, there is a dir called "one" in the "oldname" directory but not in the NewName directory.) I have heard that XP wil...

CRM Sales for Outlook Client
H I have installed CRM V1.2. Installation was 100% perfect. However, I am experiencing problems when installing the sales client for outlook. After specifying the url where the website is hosted, an error appears stating that no crm server components were located. I am unable to continue from there. OS: Windows XP, SP Office: Office 200 Please find attached the log file [19:48:05] CSetup::Initialize result: 0x0 [19:48:05] Checking v1 product GUID: {505D5841-FB9D-452A-9381-6AD6904769AB} [19:48:05] Checking component GUID: {0C5FCCD4-3F44-4d2a-A68D-3FE77927BF1F} [19:48:05] No existing CRM ...

Purchased Money Essentials wont install
I purchased MOney essentials and got an error that said that money was open and wouldnt install. I paid to the 5.98 to be able to redownload for 60 days. HOw do I do this. Same thing happened to me. I called the 800# and they helped me out after about 30 minutes on the phone. "Tammy" wrote: > I purchased MOney essentials and got an error that said that money was open > and wouldnt install. I paid to the 5.98 to be able to redownload for 60 > days. HOw do I do this. > > ...

money 2002 #26
I have purchased a new computer and my old one has money 2002 also installed I want to take all data on old and put in new computer how do I do this Locate the *.mny file and copy that to your new computer. Once you have Money installed on the new PC then navigate to the *.mny file with Windows Explorer and double click on the file name. That will fire up Money which will recognise your file. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "steve Post"...

money 2005 #11
Is money 2005 out and when are they going to updated their webpage with money 2005? Depends where you look. Some retailers are shipping others are saying 21st Sept. MS will update the webpage when they see fit! We will just have to keep looking. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically a...

Duplicate Funds in Money
I have a 401k account where I have always downloaded the information myself. I then found out that I could have money keep the information up to date, so I tried to create a new 401k account within on-line setup. Originally, I had a duplicate account, but I worked through that issue. Now I'm having a problem with duplicate funds. In my original 401k I had a fund like the following. "Merck Common Stock" with the online one, they call it "MRK CMMN STCK" I Just want to treat them as the same, but each time money downloads the information, it uses the "MRK ...

Microsoft Money in Australia
Hi all, Currently using the last version of Microsoft Money that was released in Australia - v14 (2004?). Noticed that future versions are not available in Australia. The seem to be some funny compatiblity issues since I have put it on my Vista machine... it doesn't like it when other apps are open - doesn't let me easily switch between apps. Anyway, not important. I like to keep current with my software so would like to upgrade to a newer version, happy to pay full price, but I REALLY need to retain access to my historical data. Will I be able to purchase the US version and upda...

Test Backup restore from Exchange 2000 to StandbyServer
I would like to perform a full restore (db and mailbox) from my ExchangeProduction to ExchangeStandbyServer to make sure I become familiar with new backup software setup recently. I also would like to have an idea of time it takes to perform that backup and test data integrity often. Besides my StandbyServer, currently I have just one server available (not the same hardware used in the Exchange production) that I could use to setup a lab for the testing. I have no $ for DLT or other servers like DC's I would need to setup the lab. Would be possible, viable and safe perform this restore t...

MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!
Hello, A while back, I was browsing these newsgroups, just like you are now, and came across an article similar to this that said you could make thousands of CASH within weeks with only an initial investment of $6.00 (American) plus International stamps due to users that may be outside the United States! So I thought, "Yeah, right, this must be a scam!" But like most of us I was curious and kept reading. It said that if you send $1.00 to each of the 6 names and addresses listed in the article, you could make thousands in a very short period of time. You then place your own na...

Moving files after re-stalling Windows XP Pro
Due to a corrupt Windows file I had to re-install Windows. Unfortunately this meant that the new Outlook "Contacts" files, and files I had set up in "My Shortcuts", do not show up in the current Outlook. How can I locate, and move, these files from the old Outlook into the current Outlook? Thanks, The file you need up is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm There are specific steps you should take ...

CRM Quick campaign problems.
Hi all. I'm having an issue with our CRM system, and it looks like it's by design and not a fault. When we send a quick campaign to our marketing list it goes along realy well, create the email, add the unsubscribe etc, create the activities and auto send the emails. Now that's all good, but at a random point through the campaign it will abort, different places in different campaigns, different lists etc and we couldn't work out why. Now on Friday I did a campaign to a list of 1000 contacts, it failed after 9, so I went through the list and discovered that the contact on #10 h...

Problems with Money 2005
I've used Money for several years. Started using '05 about two months ago. Two days ago I got a downloaded statement from my broker (an everyday occurence). Money crashed. It just froze up. I had to use control alt delete to get out. Now I have tried repairing files, restoring backups, you name it. I finally did get a backup file that was about a month old to open and run. I made a copy for safety. As soon as the statement was downloaded, this file froze up. I just want to get my data back for the last month, I don't care if I have to delete the statement. I'm afraid all...

Windows Live Messenger doesn't "remember" me
Hi All, My Windows Live Messenger doesn't "remember" my username/ID. I click remember me and then when having signed off I restart it or the computer again, it doesn't "remember" me. Help! ...

Money 2000 user guide
Can i please have some help!!! I have lost my money 2000 user guide. Does anyone know where i can get a downloadable version of it. It would be greatly appreciated. Regards Brett. ...

using windows xp chart wizard, how to create secondary axis
previous posts related to secondary axis were unhelpful they did not reveal steps related to windows xp chart wizard i.e. what does display the format dialog mean? Hi, You can display the Format dialog in a number of different ways. Select the item and then right click. From the popup menu choose Format select object. You maybe able to simply double click the item, which will show the dialog. Or again with the item selected use the menus Format > Selected xxx None of the above is XP specific. Cheers Andy geraldwicks1962@yahoo.com wrote: > previous posts related to secondary axis...

Void Deferral Transactions Problem
I am having a problem voiding some deferred transactions. I entered the transactions through Receivables Management. I can see these transactions under the customers in the Deferral Inquiry window. However, they do not show up in the Void Deferral Transactions window for me to void. Some other transactions entered the same way in the same batch as these but under different customers do show up. Cannot figure out why that would be. I have tried check links and deferral check links to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks! Paul ...

How can I show a modal window with server code
Hello, comunity Does any body knows how can I show a new modal window from server code?. I don't want to use javascript and "window.showModalDialog", I need to do it from my server code Click event. Thanks you all. "Miguel Gómez" wrote: > Hello, comunity > > Does any body knows how can I show a new modal window from server code?. > > I don't want to use javascript and "window.showModalDialog", I need to do it > from my server code Click event. > <http://www.asp.net/ajax/tutorials/launching-...

money vs simply accounting
i've used simply accounting but never ms money, are they both similar in function? is ms money any easier? -- http://www.msforums.org/ http://www.fragmax.com/ http://www.gamingforums.ca/ ...

Stencil Help for Visio 2000
Hi All, Is there a visio stencil that has stairs and elevators? thanks r Reg, The "Building Core" stencil has stairs and elevators, but I believe that this stencil only shipped with the Technical version of the product. -- Dawn This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Reg" <rabjohnson@rcn.com> wrote in message news:03e501c35083$1a591750$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > Is there a visio stencil that has stairs and elevators? > > thanks > > r ...

Money Data #2
Can you access the Microsoft Money data with a report writer like Crystal Reports or Microsoft Access to create customized reports? Nope! -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "tmc" <tmc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90051935-CF57-4404-8495-5EF2F4345134@microsoft.com... > Can you access the Microsoft Money data with a report writer like Crystal > Reports or Microsoft Access to creat...

Return Receipt causes Outlook 2000 crash/exception
One of our users on Outlook 2000 has received a message from a user that requested a return receipt. He moved the message to his "Deleted Items" folder, and now cannot delete it or empty the deleted items. If he clicks on it, Outlook crashes with an exception code of 0xC0000005. Attempting to change the message status to "read" results in the same crash. Other info: - The message was sent by a Mozilla/Gecko client - In the Deleted Items folder, the message claims to have no "From:" info, but in the headers, it clearly does. - The message has no X-Se...

Exchange Server 2000
I am running Small Business Server 2000 with Exchange Server 2000. My E-Mail is down. I have Jobs in the Que but none of the users can connect to the server. The last time this Happened, someone from Microsoft Rebuild my data file. I beleive I have some of the commands but I want to make sure. Does anyone have the instructions? I had to re mount the Store and go into the Command Promt and run some commands but I am not sure the procedure and what files to remove. Thanks MOE Check your Event Viewer for related errors to this issue. Sounds like you may be reaching your 16GB limit...