Microsoft 2003 Error Message: cannot read file

I was using Microsoft 99.  Recently upgraded to Microsoft
2003.

When I try to open money.mny I get the following message:

Money cannot
locate 'C:\Documents_and_Settings\MyDocuments\Money\Money.m
ny' or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only
file or you do not have permission to change it or your
disk drive is write protected.

If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be
accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most
recent backup file.

If the file is being used by another application, close it
in the other application and click OK to try again.

1.  Money.mny is not a read-only file
2.  As far as I know I have permission to change it.
3.  My disk drive is not write protected.
4.  I clicked OK and tried to open my most recent backup
file.  Got the same error message.
5.  The file is not being used by another application.

So...any suggestions regarding how I might be able to get
this file open?

Thanks.

- Lisa
0
lisa4509 (1)
7/29/2003 3:10:50 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Can you open other files?  This is a possible indication of corruption.  The
FAQ describes ways that you can try and repair the file.  Take a look at:

http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#S7Q5

Since it is an .mny file, you'll be able to try both of the repairs:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182608
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274584

Do you have any backup files?  It's always a good idea to rotate backups on
a couple of disks so you don't always overwrite.

"Lisa" <lisa@nikoli.net> wrote in message
> I was using Microsoft 99.  Recently upgraded to Microsoft
> 2003.
>
> When I try to open money.mny I get the following message:
>
> Money cannot
> locate 'C:\Documents_and_Settings\MyDocuments\Money\Money.m
> ny' or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only
> file or you do not have permission to change it or your
> disk drive is write protected.
>
> If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be
> accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most
> recent backup file.
>
> If the file is being used by another application, close it
> in the other application and click OK to try again.
>
> 1.  Money.mny is not a read-only file
> 2.  As far as I know I have permission to change it.
> 3.  My disk drive is not write protected.
> 4.  I clicked OK and tried to open my most recent backup
> file.  Got the same error message.
> 5.  The file is not being used by another application.
>
> So...any suggestions regarding how I might be able to get
> this file open?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Lisa

0