Loan account - which account do the payments come from?

Hi,

Something else that's giving me trouble.

I've set up a loan account - all seems to be fine. It's a three year
loan, and the first two payments had already been made when I set the
thing up in Money. Money coped with this fine, and within the register
of the loan account it now accurately shows the first two payments and
the principal-element of each payment, together with the diminishing
value of the outstanding loan.

However, it doesn't seem to be linked in any way to the account from
which the payments are actually being made. Conceptually it seems to
me that the loan payments are made up of

1) an expense element (the interest)  which needs to be debited from
the bank account from which the payment is made, and

2) a transfer from the paying account to the loan account, whereby the
amount outstanding is reduced.

Anyway, how do Iink the regular monthly "bill" which I've set up
within the account from which payments are made to the loan account
itself?

Cheers!

Martin
money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

You don't mention version/edition or whether you are using Advanced Register
and Advanced Bills. The following answer assumes M04 or earlier or
M05-M07/M+ Deluxe with Advanced Register/Bills and NOT Money Essentials
Edition (MEss).

There is a transaction type that DOES EXACTLY what your mental model
suggests. It's called Loan Payment. It splits each payment into two
components EXACTLY As you imagine. You enter one into the account making the
payment. Loan Payment splits the payments into a component called Principal
Transfer and a component of interest expense using the category you
specified when you setup the loan.

When entering a transaction look in the Special Categories way down at the
bottom or just type out Loan Payment. You can also schedule a Loan Payment
in the Bills and Deposits.

<martin_pentreath@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 1) an expense element (the interest)  which needs to be debited from
> the bank account from which the payment is made, and
>
> 2) a transfer from the paying account to the loan account, whereby the
> amount outstanding is reduced.

To be clear: type Loan Payment in the Category field. It will ask which loan
account you are paying to if there are multiple Loan Accounts. I think if
there is just one, it doesn't ask.

message news:eiqLQcKqIHA.4492@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

On 27 Apr, 21:41, "Dick Watson" <littlegreenge...@mind-enufalready-
spring.com> wrote:
> You don't mention version/edition or whether you are using Advanced Register
> and Advanced Bills. The following answer assumes M04 or earlier or
> M05-M07/M+ Deluxe with Advanced Register/Bills and NOT Money Essentials
> Edition (MEss).
>
> There is a transaction type that DOES EXACTLY what your mental model
> suggests. It's called Loan Payment. It splits each payment into two
> components EXACTLY As you imagine. You enter one into the account making the
> payment. Loan Payment splits the payments into a component called Principal
> Transfer and a component of interest expense using the category you
> specified when you setup the loan.
>
> When entering a transaction look in the Special Categories way down at the
> bottom or just type out Loan Payment. You can also schedule a Loan Payment
> in the Bills and Deposits.

Thanks Dick, exactly what I was looking for, I evidently just didn't
look hard enough, I must learn to scroll to the bottom of the list!
Incidentally, I'm using UK Money, version 14.0.120.1105 (c) 2004 - it
works just as you describe.

Reconnecting an exchange mailbox over a trust two a 2003 Domain account
We are currently migrating to a new company domain. We (domain A with active directory 2000) have an exchange 2003 server. They (domain B with active directory 2003). We have a two way trust between the domains. We would like to delete the user on domain A and let the exchange mailbox set itself for deletion then create the new user on domain B and then go into the exchange server on domain A and reconnect to the new user on domain B over the trust. When attempting this I get the error "you do not have the rights to complete this operation, ID #:c1030728 exchange system manager" ...

Trasfer to your business account
How can I keep track of what I lend to my business account from my personal one? I remmeber that I opened a dialog window where I was asked if the transaction was a borrowing money for my business... What I need is to have in one place what I am investing in my business from my own money... ...

Posting Accounts Setup
I am trying to set up posting accounts. Some of the accounts are easy, like for Cost of Goods Sold, there is actually an account whose description is Cost of Goods Sold. Not being an accountant, I am having trouble choosing a number for the accounts that do not have a similarly named account. For instance, there is no account with the description Sales, so I guess I have to make one up. I think, though, that the number I assign will determine where that account goes in the General Ledger. Does anyone have a list of their posting accounts that they would be willing to share? We are a res...

How to change (bank) account currency in 2005
In 2004, I was able to specify the bank account currency and then logon to the bank web site to download the transactions. In 2005, the "online updates" feature automates the downloading, which is great. The problem is that it forces all currency to USD, and I can't change it to Canadian Dollars. When I tried, it said I must turn off all on-line service first. But if I do, I can not turn the on-line serivce back on for the same account. It just creates a different account under USD again. Very frustrating. Please help. Thanks! I have the same problem. Did you manage to find ...

Setting up a loan
I want to set up a car loan using Money 2005 Deluxe. When I set up a new account/loan it takes me to a wizard to answer questions. It asks for the loan amount, interest rate, pricipal + interest amount, number of payments, and a balloon amount. Here is the information I about the loan: Amount Borrowed: $10,556.13 Total Paid At End of Loan: $11,450.74 Interest Rate: 4.05% 47 Monthly Payments: $239.00 ($206.20 towards principal, $32.80 towards interest) 1 Balloon Payment: $217.74 The wizard only allows me to enter 4/5 pieces of information about the loan and it calculates the 5th t...

Export/Import Email Accounts
How do I export/import email accounts in Outlook XP? Seems like that function went away from Outlook 2000! Thanks, -Bob "Bob" <newsgroups@pless.net> wrote in message news:u0tsb.12289$IC.8245@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com... > How do I export/import email accounts in Outlook XP? Seems like that > function went away from Outlook 2000! > > Thanks, -Bob > > Start-All programs-Microsoft Office Tools-Save my settings wizard ...

Student Loans in Money 2007
Hi, I have four student loans all under one account with Sallie Mae. I've entered them in Money separately because they are at differing interest amounts - I make only one payment to Sallie Mae and they split it between the loans. My problem is that I dont know how to apply the one payment to the four accounts (in order to track). You can't have one Loan Payment target four different Loan Accounts. It's just a limitation. Not a great one. If I were designing it, it wouldn't have this limitation, but there it is. Assuming you want to track these as separate loans (and ...

SQL Server Agent Account
Hello, I would like to get the name of the SQL Server Agent Account by a (SQL) - Query, or, to ask otherwise, if a given login comes from the SQL Server Agent. Thank You Joachim DECLARE @serviceaccount varchar(100) EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_instance_regread N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', N'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQLSERVER', N'ObjectName', @ServiceAccount OUTPUT, N'no_output' SELECT @Serviceaccount "Joachim Hofmann" <speicher@freenet.de> wrote in message news:ejIRmM7BLHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... ...

Users accounts.
Hi, My wife and I have Cell phones which sync with Microsoft Outlook. We don't want to our cell phones to sync with other's contatcs. Is there a way to create two different accounts that when I want to sync my cell with the PC, Microsoft Outlook will sync with my contacts and without her contacts? Please note that I am using Office 2003. TIA. It would be helpful to know what software you are using to sync, but if it supports Categories, then that is your answer. Assign unique categories for each contact in Outlook: one for you and one for your wife. Then tell the sync software ...

Loan
Hi, I would like to enter a loan into money, but I do am not scheduled to pay the principal until Nov. of 2005. However, the interest will accrue on the loan as of today and I plan on starting to make unscheduled monthly payments to avoid debt in the future. I am trying to enter the loan as a new account but it is saying the loan account values don't work together. Can someone help me out here? Thanks! You need to let Money calculate one of the values. Try letting it calculate the length of the loan. "UA" <queenadeze@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2bf601c33f6...

backup outlook 2002 account info
Hello, all. I know how to back up Outlook data files, etc. Is there a way to back up Outlook XP(2002) account information? I have to create a new user profile on my win2000 laptop and upon doing so, the Outlook account is not set up for new profile. We connet to an Exchange server and it really isn't prudent to set up the account over a dial up connection. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! Later versions of Outlook do not allow you to export your mail account settings, only import. Let me check to see if Outlook 2002 does this also. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post...

sub accounts or department accounts
We have a small non profit club with a single checking account, we have several different departments like club house and associated expenses, range and associated expenses, etc. We enter income and expenses against categories for the above, but would like to have a report showing the present value of each department or subaccount. Some years more comes in than goes out, other years the opposite, but it is not apparent how to report on the current balance in a category I cannot figure out a way to get Money to do this, can someone help me out please? thanks in advance -- Steve...

mortgage loan setup
I have a variable mortgage that is fixed for the first 5 years. The loan started in July 2002. When I go through the Loan Setup Wizard and enter the appropriate information the resulting loan account only goes back to January 2004. How can I enter all the previous payments back to July 2002 and adjust the splits of mortgage payment and fluctuating escrow amounts that have occurred over the course of the loan? Is there anyway to have the loan account reflect the payments already made from my checking account? There's a lot to chew on here. This may take some more Q&A, but...

Multiple Hotmail accounts in Outlook02 : possible?
I tried a search on this without any luck... ::I've been trying to add a couple more hotmail accounts to b synchronised in outlook2002, but it can't access them.:: I've currently got my hotmail account, which works in Outlook, and POP3 account which also works. When I try to add my wife's hotmail account or a second hotmail accoun of my own (which can both be accessed from internet explorer without problem)outlook cannot recognise them. I had this problem with Outloo Express as well. I think I have all the settings configured correctly, (like SPA is NO ticked in the acc...

FHA Loans
Many people hear the term "FHA loan," and incorrectly assume the Federal Housing Administration is a mortgage lender. That is not the case. Established in 1934, the FHA helps lower-income, first-time home buyers get approved for a home loan by providing private lenders with mortgage insurance. This gives the lender the security of knowing the loan will be honored if the buyer defaults on the loan and allows buyers who might not otherwise qualify for a conventional loan get approved. FHA loans are available to individuals with less than perfect credit and often require a smaller down ...

sending mail when multiple accounts exist
I am using OL98 with WinXP and I am observing that with three different mail accounts that are set up I am only able to actually send mail when I select the default account. Is this normal behavior or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any tips! John Keith kd0gd@juno.com Only your POP mail acct will work with OL98. No web mail at all like juno or hotmail. "John Keith" wrote: > I am using OL98 with WinXP and I am observing that with three > different mail accounts that are set up I am only able to actually > send mail when I select the default account. Is this n...

LOANS
http://www.qksrv.net/click-1365416-5340704 ...

Help, I moved mailboxes and now can open boxes using "Service account admin" rights
Hey everyone, We are running a Windows 2003 domain and Exchange 2003 sp1 on Win2k3 in a cluster. We had ONE storage group and 4 DBs. I have a AD group that has Exchange "Service account admin" rights and people in that group could open ANY mailbox. I am in that group too. Over the weekend we created a NEW storage group in Exchange and MOVED tow DBs from SG1 to SG2 (the new SG). Now I can't open anyone's mailbox that is in the new SG. The users are working fine. They can connect to their mailboxes using Outlook 2003 just fine. However, I am troubleshooting a Bl...

Separate inboxes for separate accounts
How can I separate incoming e-mail from separate e-mail accounts into folders so I can tell where incoming mail came from? Using Outlook 2000. >-----Original Message----- >How can I separate incoming e-mail from separate e-mail >accounts into folders so I can tell where incoming mail >came from? Using Outlook 2000. >. > I'm a novice but I just ask that question and dl@spoofmail.com gave me the following advice: It is done with rules. 1st create your folders (sounds like you've done that.) Then select Tools / rules & alerts / New Rule... This brings up...

how do I create an email account
in Outlook 2000 cORPORATE OR workgroup version how do I create an email account and indicate the address of the relevant mail server, name and password? thank you very much aa <aa@microsoft.com> wrote: > in Outlook 2000 cORPORATE OR workgroup version how do I create an > email account and indicate the address of the relevant mail server, > name and password? Tools>Services. Add an Internet Mail Account service. Ask your ISP for the proper values to fill in for server(s) and ports(s). They will also have supplied you with your mail address. -- Brian Tillman ...

Not sending mail thru Dfault account . Help pls.!!!
Hi all, I have Exchange server installed on SBS 2000 server. My users use outlook 2002 as there e-mail client. I have configured exchange server but this server is only for internal use (it can't send or recive any external mail). I have set it up cos I wanted to make use of "Public Folders" functionality. This alowes you to share Calender, Task, Contacts.... with other users. The real E-mail account (the one that can send recive external mail) is account provided by ouwer internet provider. So I am useing SMTP account as a default account in outlook and I have configured ou...

Importing Data into a Morgtage Loan
All, Trying out the MS Money 2004 Trial edition, and have potentially found a showstopper (for me at least). I've set up a Morgtage account and now want to import QIF formatted data from my online banking system. I've been able to import all the other accounts (Saving, Cheque, VISA), but WHY cant I import a quicken file for this account ? The account isnt even listed as an available account to import to. Also, the Morgtage/loan account seems to rely very hevily on automatically scheduled payments and the like, however I make manual payments on varying intervals. Is the morgtage ac...

Importing .PST & POP account info
Have a W2K system running Outlook 2002. The system crashed and had to reinstall windows from scratch. Fortunately I had a backup of the .PST file located on an external drive. When I imported the .pst file, all the mail, etc... came in fine but none of the account settings did (username, password, pop/smtp server names, etc...). Is this normal behavior or are there some tricks in recovering the account info as well? TIA "John Smith" <a@nonymous.com> wrote in message news:xLSdnQAMPe3L0FrdRVn-hg@igs.net... > Have a W2K system running Outlook 2002. > > The system cr...

Bank Account AND Investment Account
I have had several investment accounts at etrade for some time and been able to get online updates with no problem. I just added a bank account and am unable to set up the online services to pick up both the investment accounts AND the bank account. I can configure to update the bank account ONLY or the investment accounts ONLY, but NOT BOTH. When you sign up for online services it asks whether you are setting up a bank, credit, or investment account. When you select one, you must be setting a flag because that is it. It will only retrieve the data for that type of account. Then, o...

Account balance update
When I access my bank to download my daily transactions the current (correct balance at the bank) displays momentarily and then the balance reverts to a much higher balance in the left area and also the upper right corner of my register. That same balance has been appearing for over a week and it is incorrect. I have closed money and reopened hoping it would update. Any ideas someone? -- Ken C vnm which bank? -- Michael Gordon MVP "Ken Coleman" <KenColeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3DBA8AA5-762B-4ECB-9059-C6FB1D6225B2@microsoft.com... > ...