Linking duplicate transactions in Money

One more question...

I notice that Money automatically downloads the same transaction twice from 
two different accounts. For example, if I'm paying my credit card bill via 
the checking account, it will appear twice under two different accounts.

How do I link the two transactions?

thanks!
0
3/22/2006 6:41:28 PM
money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

8 Replies
645 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 39

In microsoft.public.money, Siddhesh Karmali wrote:

>
>I notice that Money automatically downloads the same transaction twice from 
>two different accounts. For example, if I'm paying my credit card bill via 
>the checking account, it will appear twice under two different accounts.
>
>How do I link the two transactions?

When you process the first transaction of the credit card
payment, set the category as a transfer to the other ( credit card
or bank account), or use the equivalent "SPECIAL Credit Card
Payment" category.  When you process the second transaction,Money
should match it.  Be careful to not just Accept if Money did not
find the match on its own for some reason.  Click Change and match
it to the transfer you already made if Money did not match it for
you.  I would consider this the classic of the ways I like.  Note
that for this you would *not* use the Money 2005 "EXPENSE Credit
Card Payment".  Instead you should consider deleting that "EXPENSE
Credit Card Payment" to avoid confusion.

To fix the ones you already processed, void/delete one transaction,
and change the other to a transfer.
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
3/22/2006 8:30:02 PM
This topic has been beaten to death -- though refuses to go away.

Cal, although I can reproduce the steps you specify, that solution
does not make sense to me.

For clarity I'll try to repeat the scenario: I am paying for a credit
card from a bank account (or transferring from bank account to
another bank account)

There are two transactions/actions taking place:
1) Deduction of funds from bank account
2) Credit/Deposit of funds into credit card account/another bank account

*Matching* them looks like a mistake seems it erases information. For
example it looses the date of the transaction (of either deduction or 
deposit).

So while I would like to have them automatically correlated to each other
they are not identical. So that brings to a new question:

How to mark a relationship between two transactions?
So that I could right click on one and find the related one in the other 
account.

Thanks,
Igor



-- 

"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message 
news:qpc322di4l179h9cqberu1e2fuo63jbe47@4ax.com...
> In microsoft.public.money, Siddhesh Karmali wrote:
>
>>
>>I notice that Money automatically downloads the same transaction twice 
>>from
>>two different accounts. For example, if I'm paying my credit card bill via
>>the checking account, it will appear twice under two different accounts.
>>
>>How do I link the two transactions?
>
> When you process the first transaction of the credit card
> payment, set the category as a transfer to the other ( credit card
> or bank account), or use the equivalent "SPECIAL Credit Card
> Payment" category.  When you process the second transaction,Money
> should match it.  Be careful to not just Accept if Money did not
> find the match on its own for some reason.  Click Change and match
> it to the transfer you already made if Money did not match it for
> you.  I would consider this the classic of the ways I like.  Note
> that for this you would *not* use the Money 2005 "EXPENSE Credit
> Card Payment".  Instead you should consider deleting that "EXPENSE
> Credit Card Payment" to avoid confusion.
>
> To fix the ones you already processed, void/delete one transaction,
> and change the other to a transfer. 


0
okigan (9)
3/23/2006 12:09:11 AM
"Igor Okulist" <okigan@removethishotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:%23erXG4gTGHA.5908@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> This topic has been beaten to death -- though refuses to go away.
>
> Cal, although I can reproduce the steps you specify, that solution
> does not make sense to me.
>
> For clarity I'll try to repeat the scenario: I am paying for a credit
> card from a bank account (or transferring from bank account to
> another bank account)
>
> There are two transactions/actions taking place:
> 1) Deduction of funds from bank account
> 2) Credit/Deposit of funds into credit card account/another bank account
>
> *Matching* them looks like a mistake seems it erases information. For
> example it looses the date of the transaction (of either deduction or 
> deposit).
>
> So while I would like to have them automatically correlated to each other
> they are not identical. So that brings to a new question:
>
> How to mark a relationship between two transactions?
> So that I could right click on one and find the related one in the other 
> account.

Yes, this topic has been beaten to death, but you apparently are unwilling 
to accept the choices available to you, or their consequences.

Your only choice within Money's design is to match them. That is how you 
mark a relationship between the two transactions. Not matching them creates 
duplicate expenses in the budget.

Yes, you 'lose information'. Choose whether you want the checking account 
transaction date, or the credit card transaction date. You cannot have both, 
and still have a link that you can right-click on to go to the other 
account.

Perhaps recording the posting date of one account in the memo field could 
partially satisfy your expectations?
-- 
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL



0
spam_magnet (1210)
3/23/2006 12:19:17 AM
>"Chris Cowles" <spam_magnet@remove-me-bellsouth.net> wrote in message 
>news:ekxrw9gTGHA.1688@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>
> Yes, this topic has been beaten to death, but you apparently are unwilling 
> to accept the choices available to you, or their consequences.
>
> Your only choice within Money's design is to match them. That is how you 
> mark a relationship between the two transactions. Not matching them 
> creates duplicate expenses in the budget.
"Your only choice within Money's design is to match them." -- ok, now at 
least
it is clear what's possible what's not.

> Yes, you 'lose information'. Choose whether you want the checking account 
> transaction date, or the credit card transaction date. You cannot have 
> both, and still have a link that you can right-click on to go to the other 
> account.
For this choice is clear for me -- not to use "money's match" function and 
keep
the information.

> Perhaps recording the posting date of one account in the memo field could 
> partially satisfy your expectations?
I see an interesting option in account register: "Exclude from Budget", I 
guess
that is the solution for duplicate entries in budget.

But overall you are right -- the consequences of money's match are 
unacceptable.

Thanks,
Igor



0
okigan (9)
3/23/2006 12:39:32 AM
"Igor Okulist" <okigan@removethishotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:87mUf.49470$F_3.33715@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...
>
> But overall you are right -- the consequences of money's match are 
> unacceptable.

Many years ago I used a personal finance program from Parsons Technology 
called MoneyCounts. It did what you wanted - it allowed recording the 
posting date separate from the recording date. But it still showed the same 
transaction date in both sides of the transfer accounts. It did not sort by 
the stored posting date.

The detail of that information could be useful, but I'm personally not 
willing to spend more time anguishing over its absence. My credit card 
payments are made before the due date. That, and the amount, are all I 
really care about.

How does this differ from not being able to record the entry date vs. the 
posting date of a check in your checking account? Like payments to a credit 
card, you get to pick from one of two dates. Either one you pick is wrong, 
from the other perspective.
-- 
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL



0
spam_magnet (1210)
3/23/2006 1:10:09 AM
Losing the accounting integrity provided by the matched single transaction 
to preserve one relatively meaningless date that will surely be reflected on 
the paper statement seems a very odd choice to make. But suit yourself.

"Igor Okulist" <okigan@removethishotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:87mUf.49470$F_3.33715@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...
>> Yes, you 'lose information'. Choose whether you want the checking account 
>> transaction date, or the credit card transaction date. You cannot have 
>> both, and still have a link that you can right-click on to go to the 
>> other account.
> For this choice is clear for me -- not to use "money's match" function and 
> keep
> the information. 


0
3/23/2006 2:45:48 AM
I may have found a way to make Money work the way I like.

Just to recap: the problem to me is the way "Transfer:" works in ms
money is that it affects transaction(s) in both source and destination
account - which causes mismatches on the next download (in at least
one of the accounts).

Proposed work around:
*Create a hypothetical account. I'll call it "Ether Account"
which will hold funds being in transfer
*Every time I instruct a bank to make an ACH from source account I will
record it as a transfer _into_ "Ether Account"
*Every time the money actually lands in the destination account, I will
record it as transfer _from_ "Ether Account"


Pros:
*Maintains the record integrity between money register(s) and bank
register
*Budget should work correctly
Cons:
*Extra account


Anybody sees any other negatives or caveats?

Thanks,
Igor

0
okigan1 (1)
4/19/2006 5:25:51 AM
On 18 Apr 2006 22:25:51 -0700, "Igor  Okulist" <okigan@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I may have found a way to make Money work the way I like.
>
>Just to recap: the problem to me is the way "Transfer:" works in ms
>money is that it affects transaction(s) in both source and destination
>account - which causes mismatches on the next download (in at least
>one of the accounts).
>
>Proposed work around:
>*Create a hypothetical account. I'll call it "Ether Account"
>which will hold funds being in transfer
>*Every time I instruct a bank to make an ACH from source account I will
>record it as a transfer _into_ "Ether Account"
>*Every time the money actually lands in the destination account, I will
>record it as transfer _from_ "Ether Account"
>
>
>Pros:
>*Maintains the record integrity between money register(s) and bank
>register
>*Budget should work correctly
>Cons:
>*Extra account
>
>
>Anybody sees any other negatives or caveats?
>
>Thanks,
>Igor

Maybe I'm not understanding your situation fully, but what I do is
just record the transfer in it's respective account BEFORE I download
the information from the bank. It matches in both the source and
destination account when I do download and everything is cool. 

Jim
0
4/19/2006 11:40:34 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Change link between form and subform
I have a form with a subform in it. I would like to change the way they are linked so instead of linking from Old ID, they link to New ID I don't know anything about code, is there a way to just change the cell it relies on? Thanks C Confused87 - Bring up the properties of the subform, and change the values in 'Link Child Fields' and 'Link Master Fields' on the Data tab of the properties dialog box. Make sure you have the subform selected, not the form within the subform. -- Daryl S "Confused87" wrote: > I have a form with...

linking #4
I am trying to link and .slk file to a .xls file all the links appear to be updating but i keep getting a message that excel cannot update 1 or all of the links. Is this common when linking with an .slk because i have several linked wrk books and have never had this problem. thanks Dean ...

Problem Downloading Money Plus Deluxe
Hi All, Just got a new dell computer, transferred all data from my old computer and then tried to buy and download Money Plus Deluxe. It took about 35 minutes to download, then the download screen went away when it was finished but the program did not start. I downloaded again, but still nothing. I tried downloading several more times and did not even get it to download and then it said I reached my maximum download limit. I have done searches all over my computer for money, money plus and money plus deluxe and can not find the file anywhere. It should be in the temporary internet ...

Linked Forms
Hello, I am doing a project that requires two forms.. The first form contains the data for a business the second form contains data for the business owner... How do I link the two forms together...? Many thanks. Bob Send a common key piece of data from the first form (say the company name) to the second form page and include it in the second form as a hidden form field (then if using a database to store the results link with a relationship the 2 results tables by the common field) For form passing information see http://irt.org/articles/js063/index.htm -- ____...

microsoft money 2002 #7
My program is listing all bills as deposits. ...

Links not linking
Hello I have written a fairly big spreadsheet linking through the pages with SUM, SUMIF and SUMPRODUCT formula's What I am now finding is that when I update one page it doesn't update the rest, even if I am only typing in a figure to the SUM function. I have check and the calculations function is on automatic. is there a fix or something that I could run to make sure that all the formulas are working correctly. thanks Just a guess (since you already checked tools|options|calculation tab). How about selecting all the cells (ctrl-a (twice in xl2003)) and then edit|replace what: ...

Chase Credit Cards and Money 2006
Hi- Does anyone know if it is possible (either through downloading files, yoodle, etc.) to get Chase credit card statements and transactions into money? I heard there was a monthly fee but I find this really hard to believe as everyone else offers it free. Can anyone confirm this? I am only thinking of getting a credit card with them (no checking or savings) and just need the bare minimum (no bill pay, etc.) to get my purchases into money without having to manually put each one in. I would really appreciate any feedback anyone could offer. Thanks! -Dan The name is JPMorgan Chas...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS
Hi, I am trying to change a field in an ACCESS table and get an error message that says the table is a linked table and fields can't be changed. After googling for some answers, I think I should be able to find out the link using "Linked Table Manager" in ACCESS. However, the "Linked Table Manager" button is grayed out. Any ideas/suggestions are welcome. Thanks. Richard Open the table in Design View. Reduce the window so that you can see the window's top bar. Right click in the top bar of the window (usually blue in color) and select ...

Link To A Cell From Chart
Hi all. I have a text box in a chart worksheet. Can I link it to an information from any cell in other worksheet in the same workbook. Thanks. Yes. Click the text box icon, then click on the chart sheet to insert the text box. Click in the formula bar and =Sheet1!A2 (or whatever cell you want to link). -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Salza" <salza@tm.net.my> wrote in message news:3fbfb0bf_2@news.tm.net.my... > Hi all. > I have a text box in a chart worksheet. Can I link it to an information from > any cell in other worksheet in...

links
Dear All, It is very critical for my business to learn the basics and the backbone of links in Excel. Are there any tutorials or articles that gives wealth of information about MS Excel links? (in Excel 9.0.6) Web addresses are also welcome. You can also post to my e-mail above. Thank you in advance. Mustafa .. I would advise you go to the newsgroup "microsoft.public.excel.links", and read everything you can about their troubles there and the solutions......... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Mustafa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Linked Tables Over A LAN
Hi, I have a problem with a PC that is sharing an Access database over a LAN. I'm hoping someone may be able to give me a little advice. By the way, I'm a bit of an amatuer so go easy on the technical terminology ;-). I've got four PCs networked through a router which provides internet access. Two PCs are running XP Pro and two are running Vista Business 32bit. One Vista machine holds my full database while the other PCs have a similar database but with tables linked to the first machine. Been running this setup for several years, on various older PCs, with no problems. My proble...

Microsoft money 2003 #4
When I try to enter a transaction into the register I get the following response: "This transaction cannot be enterred". This problem just popped up and has never happened before. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you, Charlie In microsoft.public.money, Charlie wrote: >When I try to enter a transaction into the register I get >the following response: "This transaction cannot be >enterred". This problem just popped up and has never >happened before. > >I would appreciate any advice. Consider File->Restore. If you don't have a rec...

Links
Every time I open a spesific workbook, I get the question if I want t use the old or the new data. This is very irritating! How do I disabl the link that is the reason for this message??? Please help me befor this drives me CRAZY!! ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Siri You will have a formula somewhere within the wordbook that is linked to another workbook. You can look for them manually and the copy>paste special>values... to kill it. or you could d...

Moving A/R applied transactions to histroical
How do we move these ar transactions to historical after they have been fullu applied. Why is that AP transactions are automatically moved to historical and not AR? Is there some setup steps we missed. Thanks In routines you will find an option for remove paid transactions. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Kevin T" wrote: > How do we move these ar transactions to historical after they have been fullu > applied. Why is that AP transactions are automatically moved to historical > and not AR? Is there some setup steps we missed. > > Thanks Kevin, You didn't miss a...

email links in Publisher pdf
Why won't Publisher 2007 convert my email links correctly when saved in pdf format? It puts "mail to:" in twice automatically. It is converting website links without a problem. If memory serves the Office 2007 SP1 fixed this in Publisher. The SP2 is also now available. There have been some reports of not being able to open existing Publisher files after installing it, and a report that a fix for that bug is due by the end of the month....you might want to wait to install SP2 until after the first of the month, or just install SP1. DavidF "Rora" <Rora@discu...

Vista - Money 2005 Cannot open file
Installed Money Standard 2005 on new Vista Machine. Foillowed the following instructions; == Install Money 2005 by right-clicking Setup.exe from your CD and choosing RunAsAdministrator. Find the sample.mny file in your install folder. That may be "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005". Copy sample.mny file to your Documents folder in Vista. In Windows Explorer, right-click that file and choose RunAsAdministrator. It will do an update. Close Money. Reboot the computer. Then open Money and check that Help->About... says you then have version 14.0.*.1105. M...

Chart template and links
Hi, I have something "strange " (at least for me) going on ... I have an xls workbook, containing some data sheets and also 3 chart templates. These chart templates are copied via a macro to the output xls with the statement : Sheets(ChartName) _ .Copy Before:=Workbooks(targetfile.Window).Sheets(1) When I now look to this chart template in the output xls I got a link to the original xls workbook in which the macro is running. (I can see that via EDIT>LINKS...) Now I do NOT want that link to the originator xls workbook at all ! Is there anybody who knows how I can co...

Linking to ODBC Linked Tables
Hi: I wonder if you have any suggestions for this. We have moved our Access tables into Oracle and have created a MS Access Database that links to these ODBC tables. Each of our users has a local copy of our Reporting Database that formerly linked to Access tables, but now we want them to link to the Ms Access Database which contains the linked ODBC tables on our shared drive. In trying to link to already linked ODBC tables, Access gives an error and will not link to these tables. Is there a way to let our users link to the Access database that contains the linked ODBC tables? Any...

Microsoft Money 2005 not picking up data
I have recently bought a new computer (still with XP) and a) loaded my copy of MM 2005 Standard to it and b) loaded the data files for MM which I copied from the old computer. But I cannot get the program to pick up the data - and of course, support from Microsoft ended last month! Can anyone suggest what I should do to get the data to connect with the software program? -- Patsy In microsoft.public.money, patsy <patsycj@ozemail.com.au(donotspam)> wrote: >I have recently bought a new computer (still with XP) and a) loaded my copy >of MM 2005 Standard to it and b) loaded th...

Sales Transaction Entry and Purchase Order Preview
Question about Sales Transaction Entry and linking a specific Vendor from the Purchase Order Preview window when you have multiple Vendors assigned to an inventory item. What is the logic behind GP when it comes to pressing the Purchase button within Sales Transaction Entry window after assigning an line item? Logic that I'm seeing is GP is assigning the Vendor that has most recent PO that was entered and not allowing the individual to select a vendor that has PO's available so they can assign them to this sales transaction. So in essence it seems to be a Last in Fi...

Linked Graphs from Excel
I have linked graphs from excel into my publisher document using Paste Special. The problem is that when they paste in they reshape (I have pie charts and they come in publisher looking like tall skinny ovals). I can fix the shape of the charts manually after pasting them in, but when I update the links the reshaping reverts to its original, incorrect size. Any suggestions on how I can use the linking to excel and not have to resize every time I update? "Paste Special" as what format? Have you tried an image format? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...

linking subforms
my application have customers and invoices. each customer can have 1 or more invoices. on my form i have a subform for customers and one subform for invoices. both subforms are in datasheet view. if i click on customer A in the customer subform i want the invoice subform to show only invoices for customer A and at the same time allow me to add invoices for customer A. what are the steps to accomplish this? also i want to be able to print a report such that customer A is listed together with all customer A's invoices followed by customer B and so on. how can this be accomplished? thanks ...

visited links no longer change color
The links still work when clicked but, no longer show purple when visited. This happens in both Outlook and Outlook Express. Yesterday I tried making fonts a little larger as I have eyesight problem. Not sure if this is when the link color problem started. What I did exactly is: *Tools > Options > Mail Format > click "Fonts" button > click "International Fonts" button * At first I went through the list making each one "Larger" font size. * I realized that it's probably only "Western European" I need to change, so all others were set ...

How Duplicate detection can be removed?
We have a user that is assigned to role =91user=92. The role does not have any rights to duplicate detection, yet it is showing up in user interface. Can we remove duplicate detection for users in =91users=92 role via site map? If we can please explain how or is there any other way to this. ...

Duplicates
I have a table with the PO as the primary key. The problem is there can be more than one item on a single PO. I inspect each item as it comes in, and record the results in the database. How do I set it up so that I can enter multiple items on the same PO? I tried changing the primary key to yes(duplicates ok), but it wont let me. Can someone please help me? Thanks in advance!! You need a second table for the Items and storing information about them. In this second table the PO would be the foreign key field. You would then link these two tables together. You want to have the...