Keep old Money file or start a new one?

I've been using MS Money for more than 3 years and now
have a lot of data, that is be very valuable for averaging
and correct statistics.
Last month I separated and now the whole budged has
changed, now I will use new bank account and pay new
bills.
My question is if I should start a new file from scratch
and so have it "clean" or is it still better to keep the
old data and just reconfigure the Money.
In the latter case I guess, I always will see the old
accounts that I don't use anymore and it can become
confusing.
Any suggestions on this?
Thanks!

0
anonymous (74719)
8/4/2004 7:07:31 PM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

"Anton" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been using MS Money for more than 3 years and now
> have a lot of data, that is be very valuable for averaging
> and correct statistics.
> Last month I separated and now the whole budged has
> changed, now I will use new bank account and pay new
> bills.
> My question is if I should start a new file from scratch
> and so have it "clean" or is it still better to keep the
> old data and just reconfigure the Money.
> In the latter case I guess, I always will see the old
> accounts that I don't use anymore and it can become
> confusing.
> Any suggestions on this?
> Thanks!

Have you tried closing the accounts in account details?

By default, closed accounts are hidden on the account list.

I just unchecked the "Hide closed accounts" option, and discovered that 38%
of my accounts are closed.

If it was my data, I would keep it.

Other options would be to create a new file, but maintain both the old and
new files until you decide which option is better.  Desktop shortcuts to the
specific files may be easier than using File > Open.

You could also make a copy of the old file, delete some of the unneeded
accounts, payees, etc from the copy, and still retain your investment or
other important history.  You could also continue as above to maintain the
original and the trimmed file until you decide which way to go.

--
Scott Tyler
agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com

0
Scott

Opening Excel files in Explorer
Usually you can open any excel file by double clicking the file from within Windows Explorer. Since some time for a mysterious reason this doesn't work any more. Excel opens but not the file. Any ideas why this is so and what to do about it? Tanks for info, Danker -- Danker Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's factory defaults...

new group for syncing with I-phone
I want to create a new group for syncing with I-phone. How can I do it? New group of what? Mail, calendar, contacts... -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Do you sync your mailbox with a smartphone or pda? http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=39473 "ilbi&q...

Outlook keeps prompting for logon..
User is on Outlook 2k3, latest service packs, updates, etc. Mailbox lives on Exchange 2007 (SP1). Everytime the user starts Outlook they're prompted to logon. I've disabled the logon prompt at startup option (and enabled it and then disabled it again), but it's still happening. I've tried it with cached mode on and cached mode off. I've tried it with offline mode enabled and disabled. I've tried deleting his profile and recreating it. I've tried switching to an RPC/HTTPS connection. Finally, i completely uninstalled Outlook 2k3 and installed Outlook 2k7. Not...

Inbox says 2 new emails, not seeing them..
I have a user in our New York office (I'm in New Jersey)... she's running Outlook 2003. This moring her Inbox showed 2 new emails, but they all showed as being read already. She has an appointment, but after that I might use TeamViewer to access her computer.. is there anything I should look for or do? Is she syncing with a smartphone or pda? Is her reading pane set to mark messages read when the selection changes? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ ...

install Money Plus over My Money 2001 Deluxe
Can I install Money Plus deluxe and keep my Money 2001 Deluxe data? What do I need to do tomove my data to Money Plus? All your data is held on the .mny file. When you install M+ it makes a copy of the .mny file at that time and gives it a different name. It then automatically upgrades the .mny file to M+ format. If you decide that you don't like M+ after all you, have to uninstall M+ and reinstall M2001. Find the renamed .mny file and rename it back to .mny (moving the M+ .mny file someplace else) and, this is the painful bit, you have to reinput ALL transactions since you insta...

using money on windows nt
I have been trying to install the trial version of money on windows nt. However, the installation is never completed. The message I get is this: money requires either windows 1998 second edition, 2000 service pack3, or xp. Can I run money on windows nt? To use Microsoft� Money Deluxe 2005 you need: a.. Windows� 98 SE or later, Windows 2000 SP3 or later, or Windows XP operating system b.. Multimedia PC with Pentium 166 or higher processor (or compatible); Pentium II 266 (or compatible) required for Windows XP; Pentium II 300 (or compatible) recommended c.. 32 M...

Help with printing one name on a report
On my Form that has No Record Source I have a Combo Box [cmbHorsePlanner] that has a row source SELECT qryHorseNameActive.HorseID, qryHorseNameActive.Name FROM qryHorseNameActive; And next to that Combo Box I have a Print control that prints my form that I only want the one name that I select from my Combo Box My Report is rptHorsePlanner, I suppose I will need a requery or Dirty so I can change selections to print a Report! Thanks for any Help...........Bob Bob, What is the Record Source of the report. Assuming your report is based on a query, then I think all you will need to do i...

Help Old addresses keep coming up

Excel File Opening Via Hyperlink
What do I need to do within an Excel document to have it open in print preview mode when the Intranet link to this file is clicked? Thank you. Put this one line Macro in the ThisWorkbook code area: Private Sub Workbook_Open() ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintPreview End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200723 ...

Security on New Email Address
I am getting some really dirty spam. I opened a new e-mail account hoping to use the old as a default for when anyone is on the internet so that I can keep the new one clean. When I open Outlook I don't want my email account to open automatically and if I am not there I don't want someone else to access it. However as soon as I open Outlook I am prompted to open my new account and unless I sign in my password I cannot receive mail for the old account, I get a mail error message. How can I keep my new mail private and let others access the other account automatically? Let's approac...

how do i delete a (read only) file?
i am trying to delete some files that are (READ ONLY) anyone have a clue as to how? i am in microsoft excel. Open windows explorer. go to that folder right click on the file to delete select "delete" answer yes to the "are you sure prompt" (somethings don't need to be done in Excel.) Renee wrote: > > i am trying to delete some files that are (READ ONLY) anyone have a clue as > to how? i am in microsoft excel. -- Dave Peterson ...

printing excel sheets duplex, make margin stay on one edge
Hi, I wish to printa large nummber of excel sheets in duplex (printed on both sides, portrait) and then bind them on one side. I cannot find the method to make the margin stay on one edge so that I can bind it. As there is a lot of data on each page I wish to use the maximum printing width and have the margin only on the side that is bound. Am using MS Excel 2000 and a HP laserjet Thanks Jim ...

MSN Money Plus
I worked with MS Money briefly a year or two ago and I need to start over and use it again and more faithfully. I've got an MSN Premium subscription that's up around the end of the year. It includes "Money Plus." I can get MS Money Premium for a good price, so that's not an issue, but if I have most/all the functionality already via my MSN subscription it might add a reason to continue the subscription and skip buying more software. I'm not a particularly sophisticated Money user. Assuming I'm online all the time, I don't mind storing my information &q...

money 2004 inporting money 2000
I cant get my money 2004 to import my 2000 files In microsoft.public.money, <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I cant get my money 2004 to import my 2000 files Both US? A whole lot more information is necessary for anybody to take a guess as to what your issue is. Why don't you start by expanding on "can't get". <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:029101c3d8c4$3492c750$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I cant get my money 2004 to import my 2000 files p.s., if you are trying to "import" them, you are probably hosed at ...

download transactions broken in money 2000
I used to be able to download transactions from my credit card company, but it suddenly stopped working. The credit card site says it sent the transactions to my computer, but money never gets it. I no longer get the windows asking if I want to save the file, etc. Forgot to say I am using XP Pro service pack 2 "PattiWagen" <sandynpat@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Ox8J6XiwEHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >I used to be able to download transactions from my credit card company, but >it suddenly stopped working. The credit card site says it sent the >tran...

Money doesn't stop checking for a deleted account
I'm using MS Money 2005 Premium. I have a Starwood American Express credit card account setup in Money that updates through the online feature. Everything works great. I used to have a Hilton American Express credit card with a corresponding account setup in MS Money 2005. I’ve closed the Hilton account down with American Express and subsequently “closed” the account in MS Money 2005. However, since both accounts used the same username/password information, Money still tries to pull down transactions for the Hilton Amex card. Since it can’t find such account with American Expre...

Open Each Excel File in Its Own Window
Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to open Excel workbooks in separated windows. MS Word behaves that way by default. I'm using Office 2000 on Windows XP Pro. Thanks in advance. Regards, SBH Try Tools>Options>View and check the Windows In Taskbar option. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "SBH" <barry-hu@attglobal.net> wrote in message news:gf4ev05hi7jrfmv8on8kskpjg8vqjs1v0i@4ax.com... > Hi, > > I was wondering if there is a way to open Excel workbooks in separated > windows. MS Word behaves that way by defaul...

Not getting mail from one domain
We have an Exchange 2003 server, sp1, not using IMF. We are unable to receive mail from a user from another company. (One company only) We delete all messages that contain virus's, and block messages with some attachments. I get all notifications when this occurs. I have had all ndr forwarded to me. but I dont see his emails coming to us. We sent an email to him and asked him to reply, and still we do not see the message. I had him send to both my work address and home address, I recieved the message from my home address, but not at work. I looked in the message tracker and ...

401K's
My company's 401K plan has been revised. They dropped 3 funds (of 8 choices we had) and added 5. Any shares invested in these funds were transferred into the new (correspondingly similar) funds. I have figured out how to do the transactions to get the account tidied up in Money 2003. Question: Since I'm not interested in historical prices of the 3 discontinued fund options, how do I eliminate the non-essential historical data. I would assume the sells and buys need to be retained to maintain the overall 401K account integrity. Also, how do I prevent Money from updating these 3 M...

Earn money Online
Earn money Online That too without risk searching for a lucrative source of income http://educationlibry.blogspot.com/ ...

Making an exe file
I am creating a personal program using VB6 and Windows 7. I have not used VB6 for a couple of months and this time after the program has been completed and tested under the IDE I went to create an exe file but the Make Exe file and the Make Project Group items are grayed out. I found some references on the web that suggested starting a new program with just a single form and command button. I did this but the Make exe and project group menu items remained grayed out. I am running the vb6 program as Administrator. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Marv M Wade wrote: ...

Keep Lines Together; Keep with Next

how to delete a few old journal
How can I delete a few old journal i have over 500 of them and i want to delere 6 of them of can i do it. ...

Problem in associating a file extension
Hello everybody I'm working on a project built by Visual C++6.0 MFC and have to associate files with my release. The application runs well in my computer. But when it is installed in other machines, Windows error occurs when I try to open associated files by mouse double clicks.A message Dialog reports "Windows canno find file ...".Then the application starts with no document. I have modified the regedit but the bug remains. Could somebody give me an suggestion ? Thank you in advance! >Hello everybody > I'm working on a project built by Visual C++6.0 MFC and have ...