Investment Gains

I can see how Money 2003 calculates investment gains for an individual
security.  And when I do the math, my figures always agree with Money's.

But I can't seem to figure out what Money is doing to calculate the SUBTOTALS,
as like the subtotal for all stock positions.

At present, the values don't make sense.  My actual losses, comparing value at
the beginning of the year vs today are considerably different, on a percentage
basis, from  Money's figures (-5.5% vs -3.2% approximately).

So what, exactly, is Money doing to calculate these totals?  How can I "proof"
these figures?

Thanks.

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3123)
4/16/2005 11:18:30 AM
money 28651 articles. 3 followers. Follow

How do I remove an investment from the investment list
MS Money Deluxe 2007 on Windows XP. I can add and update investments, but can't figure out how to remove them. Any ideas? Also, I closed a previous 401k account after rolling over the cash to a rollover IRA account. But Money still thinks the mutual fund positions in that 401k account are there. Well, those funds do NOT show in "portfolio manager", but they are still there as far as Money is concerned. Sometimes I would get an alert saying that I have not updated the prices for those funds for a long time. What's happening here? If those positions somehow have ...

Question on Investing performance calculation
How does Money calculate the Investing performance percentage that shows up in Investing/Investment Tools in Money 2006? While the percentages for Dow Jones and S&P match the newspaper so I assume they are calculated as current price - beginning of year price divided by beginning of year price, that same calculation does not appear to be true for my own investments. I could even verify this a few days into the year, before any pruchases/expenses etc. showed up which could mask the numbers for me. Does anyone know? Thanks! ...

IRA Reallocations Showing In YTD Estimated Capital Gains Tax Summa
When I was using the Capital Gains Estimator Tool to estimate the taxes on some stocks and mutual funds I am thinking of saleing, I noticed that the Year To Date Short-Term and Long-Term data did not agree with the YTD Capital Gains Report. The difference is due to automated balancing transations in my IRA Rollover Annuity Account. The IRA account is setup as an Investment Retirement Tax Deferred account so I do not know why it is showing up in the report. Steps I have taken to try and resolve the problem: 1. Check each annuity investment tax-deferred box. 2. Switch the account&...

Calculation of investment Value
One the new accounts I have set up, the value on the account summary page does not reflect the market value. I have no idea what value it is reflecting - at first I thought it might be the original cost, but the numbers are a little off. The first account I set up is accurate, but every one since maintains the same value regardless of the current price. I am updating the price and the portfolio details shows the market value. anyone got any ideas? In microsoft.public.money, dAN C wrote: >One the new accounts I have set up, the value on the >account summary page does not reflect...

transfer an investment
Anyone know how to transfer a SINGLE investment from one account to another in Money 2002? When I try to do this it wants to transfer all investments from one account to another. I only want to transfer 1 investment. Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Mike wrote: >Anyone know how to transfer a SINGLE investment from one >account to another in Money 2002? When I try to do this >it wants to transfer all investments from one account to >another. I only want to transfer 1 investment. In the investment transactions of the source account enter a Transfer Out transaction. ...

M2004 / How to get an investment report by year
Is there any way to get a report that gives your subtotals by year of investment transactions? I am interested in seeing running totals by year of the number of shares I have purchased. I can't see how to do this. I believe the only way to do this is to create seperate performance reports with a date range from the beginning to the last date of the year for each of the years you want to see. "mark" wrote: > Is there any way to get a report that gives your subtotals by year of > investment transactions? I am interested in seeing running totals by > year of the ...

Stock sale to Money Market in same investment account?
Using Money 2005 Deluxe If I record a sale of a stock or fund, and the funds go directly to a money market account held at that same firm, there does not seem to be a way to make that occur. I have stock in a company, which is held in a IRA account. If I sell the stock (which I did) money only lets me put it into very select accounts.. mainly cash accounts. This is a non-taxable event. Why doesnt the whole list off investment accounts show in the pull down selector. Very frustrating. Randy, When you buy (sell a stock) the cash coms from (or goes to) a cash account. An investmen...

Business investment accounts?
Does anybody know how to add an investment account under the business catergory? Money forces you to make them personel accounts and I am becoming extremely frustrated. Doesn't anybody at Microsoft realize that companies make investments too!? I am new to this program, but I cannot find it either. My guess is that = Home and Business is designed for small home businesses that are not too = far along. If your company is far enough along to have its own = investment accounts (are you incorporated?) then you probably need to go = to something like Quickbooks and separate your business a...

Viewing a single investment in Money 2006
I recently moved very old mny files from my old version of MS Money version 3.0 which is the version that I used for years. They transferred over just fine to 2006. Ive used Version 3 since I bought my first Windows 3.1 computer but this old version of Money, which worked on W98, won't work on XP. In the old version I could click on "Investment Account" and choose the account such as Vanguard or Schwab and then could click on "View" and open any investment in the account and view it by itself and not show the other investments. For instance if I had the Vangua...

Can't rename investment because deleted investment has the same name
I have an investment that gets downloaded as "Blah Blah (0021)" from my financial institution, and I would like to view the investment as "Blah Blah". I was able to rename my other investments like this, but I am unable to do it with this investment. I'm guessing that I renamed it at one point and then did something to change it back, which is causing the error. My question is, is there any way to actually delete the old investment so that I can rename my current investment to "Blah Blah"? I can't seem to find any listings for just "Blah B...

Money 2007 and Janus investment accounts
I just came across this annoying behavior. I recently purchased 4 Janus mutual funds and enabled MS Money to download the transactions directly from Janus. I expected the transactions to download into a single MS Money account. Instead they downloaded into 5 new Janus accounts in MS Money. Within Janus, each mutual fund holding seems to have its own account number. For example, my Janus Money Market fund has account number 11111111. Suppose I purchased Janus Growth and Income Fund. That holding is assigned account number 37,11111111. Suppose I also purchased Janus Risk-Managed Fund. It...

Invest in our children- Investment Opportunity !!! #3
INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY! Fork It Over! a Ground Floor Unique Dimension & Concept In the Children's Entertainment Market... For More information http://www.kidseyeview.us ...

Deleting investment from Investment Summary on MSM Investing home page
Can someone explain how I can delete investments I have sold and am no longer interested in from the Money Investing Home Page. There does not seem to be an easy way to do it. I sold the stock and the company merged but iut still shows up. ...

Investment transaction import problem
I'm importing ".ofx" files from my broker. I've examined the files, using Excell, and all is well with the file. HOWEVER, Money DOES NOT imports the transactions in the correct order. For example; here is the OFX code for the 1st 2 transactions a buy then a sell . . . BUT Money imports them in reverse order, the transaction register displays them in reverse order, and Money inserts an "Add Shares" entry to "balance" the first "sell". Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. <INVTRANLIST> <DTSTART...

Tracking Misc Investments
Hi All, I'm working hard to get Money set up the way I need it to work. Thanks for the help so far. New question....when investing money in temporarily real estate (buying and selling foreclosures), how do I allocate those investments? I want to be able to see my profits, so that, if I invest $x in a property, and then in a couple of months, I receive back $y, so that money will then show me my profits, and keep it all allocated to this particular investment account. The account I'm speaking of is not a bank account on its own, but just an "account" within money ...

MSN Money Investment Toolbox component of Money 2005
That's right folks, Money 2005. Installer is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005"\Common\webinst.exe" Check out "ReadMe File for Microsoft Money 2005 Version 14.0 July, 2004" ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\readme.txt") An hour and a half on the phone with MS support trying to resolve problems with this new Toolbox and/or installation of same. Uninstalled, re-installed, updated DirectX to 9.0c, tried Knowledge Base Article 176841, etc., without success. They are aware of some problems and are working on them. ...

Money04
In the "Investment Transactions" "View" of an Investment account I can enter specific activities reported to me by my brokerage account. Each of the transaction entries has the "C" (for "Cleared") field and you can manually select the transaction line, right click, select "Mark As... | Reconciled" to balance the account. But this is a ridiculous way to reconcile an account and is nothing like what can be done for a regular banking account through the "Balance this account" feature. Is there a "Balance this account"...

Changing Investment Type
I need to change the type of investment I entered into Money'05. I accidentally made something a Stock, when it should be a Mutual Fund. I can't see anything listed in the account to change what type it is. Does anyone know where this is? Tony In microsoft.public.money, Tony Lisanti wrote: > > I need to change the type of investment I entered into >Money'05. I accidentally made something a Stock, when it should be a >Mutual Fund. I can't see anything listed in the account to change >what type it is. Does anyone know where this is? It is not trivial...

investments update
When I try to get MS Money to update stock prices on line I get messages to the effect that the appropriate institution is not connected to microsoft; for example shares in BG, BP,CNA, LLOY and the like. Is the London Stock market connected to microsoft money and/or any of these compamies? If so how can I get MS Money to download updated prices. Thank you. In microsoft.public.money, Stewart wrote: >When I try to get MS Money to update stock prices on line I get messages to >the effect that the appropriate institution is not connected to microsoft; >for example shares in BG, BP,CNA...

Transferring Investments between Accounts
Several years ago, in a previous version of Money, I established all of my investments with my mutual fund company in one account. For years, since 1996, I have been manually entering transactions: buys, sells, dividends, interest, etc. for each investment each month. I now have several hundred transactions in this account. Recently, my mutual fund company allows direct download of transactions into money. However, the only option is a separate account for each mutual fund. I would like to retain the historical costs and history of buys, sells, etc. and thus would like to transfe...

Unchanged Investments
I'm having a problem with Money where I have stocks listed, and one of them always shows "unch" even if the value has changed since the previous day/last time I updated. Is there a way to fix this? In microsoft.public.money, Kyle wrote: >I'm having a problem with Money where I have stocks listed, and one of them >always shows "unch" even if the value has changed since the previous day/last >time I updated. > >Is there a way to fix this? What is the symbol you entered for that investment? The investment is WWY (wrigley). It never really seems...

Automatic Online Updates, Investments, Money2005, SB
I've just upgraded from Money 2003 to 2005 SB. Since then, my investments are automatically updated everytime I bring up the portfolio page. I prefer to update them at my request, rather than automatically. In my old version there was a check box where I could choose not to update portfolio quotes automatically. I can't find this feature in the new version. Anyone know where it is? Thanks, Max McGovern Max, it isn't there. You will get automatic uploads everytime you open Money 2005. No big deal after you get used to it. Good luck. Steve Thanks for the answer, Steve, b...

Invest in our children- Investment Opportunity !!!
INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY! Fork It Over! a Ground Floor Unique Dimension & Concept In the Children's Entertainment Market... For More information http://www.kidseyeview.us ...

some investments are missing from the investment list
I'm using MS Money Deluxe 2007. Recently when I was playing with reports I found something very weird. When I ran the "performance by investment account" report on an account, I noticed quite a few transactions were missing from the report, and therefore the "realized gain/loss" figure was grossly incorrect. I looked at the report setting and made sure all dates and investments were selected. The result was the same. I looked at the account register of that account, and all the transactions showed up in the register. Then I noticed that, in the account re...

"Investment Growth"
I note that on the MS Money 2007 Charts, "Investment Growth" is no longer an option, only stock price history and price performance. I appreciated in Money 2006 and before the option of viewing how a given investment at a given point in time would grow (or not) to the present, including returns. If you go to moneycentral in Internet Explorer (instead of directly in Money) you'll still get the Investment Growth chart type. -Mark <tdick@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message news:1154045978.919227.182110@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > I note that on the MS Money 2007 Cha...