Importing an Excel file into Money

I do my banking with Smith Barney.  Although I could
download directly into Money (or Quicken) there is a
monthly charge to do this.  I don't want to use Money or
Quicken to pay my bills, simply to organize my finances
better.

I am able to download my account data into Excel.  Is
there anyway I can import from Excel into Money?  I tried
doing this using the import feature, but nothing happened
when I selected the Excel file and clicked import (no
error messages or anything).
0
anonymous (74717)
12/28/2003 4:16:05 PM
money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Cruzin wrote:

>I do my banking with Smith Barney.  Although I could
>download directly into Money (or Quicken) there is a
>monthly charge to do this.  I don't want to use Money or
>Quicken to pay my bills, simply to organize my finances
>better.
>
>I am able to download my account data into Excel.  Is
>there anyway I can import from Excel into Money?  I tried
>doing this using the import feature, but nothing happened
>when I selected the Excel file and clicked import (no
>error messages or anything).

See FAQ available at http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/ and search for
excel.
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
12/28/2003 4:48:54 PM
I also needed this feature, I have found a way and it
works great...at least for me.  I copy the data from my
web site and paste it into excel.  I have written a macro
which will take the data and convert it to qif format.  I
then copy the data from excel and paste it in notepad and
save it as a .qif  I then simple import the file into
money and I have the entire years records for my 401k.  I
also do this for a credit card which charges for the
download but the data is free on the web.

You can write your own macro if you study the qif format.
It follows a banking standard for transaction formatting.

I arrange my pasted data in columns, then have my vbmacro
copy/format/and paste the data on sheet2 of the workbook.
the output will look something like this.

!Type:Invst
D12/26'2003
YCore Bond Fund
MBasic Before-Tax
T17.26
I11.2
NBuy
Q1.541
^
D12/26'2003
YCore Bond Fund
MEmployer Match
T4.32
I11.2
NBuy
Q0.386
^

For me it was worth the time needed to write the macro, I
now can Copy a years worth of data, convert it,import it,
and have it available in minutes.  It took about three
days for me to find the info, make the connection (which I
am telling you about) and write the macro.  I'm sure there
are some programmers out there that could really write
some nice macros for this.  I am not a programmer but was
able to do it.

I also believe they should include this function with
money somehow

Hope this helps

If you want more information, post back here, I will check
back

0
anonymous (74717)
1/2/2004 8:38:06 AM
Something else I thought of after reading a few post.
After you perform the above on an investment account,
Money will use your purchase as a price for tracking.  You
can then look back at the performance.  This is very
important to me since my 401k does not have a tracker
symbol.

Also if you get your qif ready and you import it use the
"as a new or recovered accout"  There is more information
in the help files about this.

0
anonymous (74717)

Importing messages #6

Import and export

Importing data

Can I export from Excel to ACT
I have a huge contact list on an Excel spreadsheet and I was hoping I would be able to export it straight into my Act contact manager. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Parm, Look at the ways Excel can save, and compare with what ACT can take as input. In Excel, do File - Save as, and go through the formats shown in the "Save as type" box. See which, if any, Act can open or import. The csv would seem a likely one. Or txt. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Parm" <Parm@discuss...

Run excel when logged off.
Is it possible to run excel when I'm logged of the computer? I have a excel document that launches a bunch of macros. I would like to have task scheduler run it at night without me being logged in. Is that possible? Thanks, Jasper What happens when you try? Of course if you try accessing "mapped drives", you will have to fix that issue too. Jaz wrote: > Is it possible to run excel when I'm logged of the computer? > > I have a excel document that launches a bunch of macros. I would like to > have task scheduler run it at night without me being logged in...

transfer data in excel between sheets
What I am looking to do is get a function button (or similar) on sheet 1 that can recognise the data put in a column and upon a click of a button transfer data held in a certain cell elsewhere and the date onto sheet 2. If this is not possible, what the whole purpose I am trying to do is on sheet one have a=50 fields per day, where 3 figures are entered per line, 50 lines (ie 150 pieces of data per day) which calculates the average of the 3 numbers per row, and then the average of all these numbers appears in a seperate field on the spreadsheet (this I have already achieved.) Then this...

How do i change the height and width of a single cell in Excel?
You change the height of the cell by changing the height of the entire row, and the width of the cell by changing the width of the entire column. The cell cannot be independently resized, because then all the other cells wouldn't fit. You can merge contiguous rectangular ranges together to create super-cells. Depending on your objective, merging cells may have undesired side-effects. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ lotus1107 wrote: ...

Opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel
Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 Release 9 for Windows) files "Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. >I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 >Release 9 for Windows) files The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file format came after Mi...

excel 97 xml import

New Money File Error on Windows XP
I'm using the MS Money 2002 on Windows XP Pro (I've upgraded XP from Windows 2000). But when I starting new file, Money 2002 is crashed. Working with previous files are good, but new file working is failed always. Is it error on Windows XP? Have you tried re-installing M2002? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Kim Heui Jung" <neospix@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ORcUKtP0DHA.2412@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I'm using...

syncing excel 2007...
hi all community members... I have excel 2007 and sync all my office 2007 files to a online backup. unfortunately for excel this is not done I have to restart my computer (windows ultimate) for it to be synced (the company is ‘humyo’ which I think is one of the best...) I phoned them up and was told I must have ‘some sort of lock’ on these workbooks. I have been through the settings and thought it was privacy/personal information but am lost. can someone please help and I look forward to a reply. very much appreciated. Paul. I can't think of anyth...

Excel power toy for media playlist...
Awhile back there was a power toy that would convert a media play list so that it could be opened in Excel. Anyone got a copy or know where I could download a copy? Thanks. Frank Frank wrote: > Awhile back there was a power toy that would convert a media play list > so that it could be opened in Excel. > Anyone got a copy or know where I could download a copy? > Thanks. > Frank Never mind, I found it...the bonus pack! Frank ...

Excel graphs should allow copy & paste of individual bar formats
In excel graphs - bar charts, I make the last bar a hashed shading as it is a forcast. To do this I select only the last bar and change its formating. At the end of the month I want to change the format back to the same as all the other bars and make the new coming month's predicted value that hashed shading etc. Unfortunately excel will not allow copy and paste in this situation - so I have do open the format tab etc and then change. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggest...

Bug in Money 2004 thru 2007
If you buy 2 lots of a mutual fund and then sell or transfer some of the shares (quantity greater than the original number of shares purchased in the first lot), the cost basis is incorrect. I demonstrated this to Microsoft and they agreed the results are wrong but they say "that is the way the program is designed", it is not a bug. To prove the bug for yourself, perform the following transactions. In investment account #1 6/1/2004 buy 422.9 shares of mutual fund FMIMX at a price of 19.00 and no commissions 2/1/2005 buy 795 shares of mutual fund FMIMX at a price of 22.00 and no ...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

how do I type over a pic on excel
Unless you put the picture in the Background (Format/Sheet/Background), in which case it will be tiled throughout the entire sheet, you can't directly type over a picture because pictures "live" in the Drawing layer above the cells. You can make the picture transparent (Format/Picture) to see text in the cells beneath. You can also use the Camera Tool to create a linked picture of a cell and position it on top of the other picture. Set the Fill to No fill, and the border to No Line. What I do is to put a text box over the picture and format it with n lines and no fill...

Importing Dynamic data

recover damaged excel file
I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Hi, what message do you get?, ask your IT department usually they backup all the files, did you send the file to somebody? "Nora_Italy" wrote: > I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no > way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Thank you Eduardo. I don't get any error message, the file just doesn't open. Unfortunatately we backup files only once a month and I created...

Importing a CSV file

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Excel 2007 Vista
When I try to opne Excel 2007 in Vista, the application appears with the lower status bar on top and greyed out, and complete blue in the middle - no spread sheet. I have to close using ALT-F4, try re-opening and it comes up that way again - then sometimes it opens up normally. Any ideas? -- Regards, Sean Liming Yes, same problem here. I thought I had tracked it down to Kaspersky Internet Security v6. Turning that off and immediately re-opening the file has worked for the last week but then it happened again last night and turning off Kaspersky had no effect. After retrying about ...