How do you get option quotes in MS Money with new symbols

Does anyone know how to get the new symbol option quotes into the Portfolio
Manager within MS Money? The symbol format changed on 1/25/2010 from the old
format (ex.. Dell february 13 put was .dlyno) which is no longer valid.
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

Go out to MSN Money and loop up the Options chain:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/options/default.asp?Symbol=DELL

Don't know whether or not those new symbols will work within Money though?

-Mark

> Does anyone know how to get the new symbol option quotes into the
> Portfolio
> Manager within MS Money? The symbol format changed on 1/25/2010 from the
> old
> format (ex.. Dell february 13 put was .dlyno) which is no longer valid.

0
Mark
1/26/2010 9:47:49 PM
Mark, I tried doing that earlier and there didn't seem to have enough space
within Money field for the symbol. When I enter the entire symbol with the
back slashes, it gets truncated. I assumed the updates come from the
moneycentral source you referenced. I'll keep looking.
thanks
Paul

"Paul" wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get the new symbol option quotes into the Portfolio
> Manager within MS Money? The symbol format changed on 1/25/2010 from the old
> format (ex.. Dell february 13 put was .dlyno) which is no longer valid.
Paul - I'm having the same problem and am not happy about it.  In addition to
Mark's suggestion (looking up the option chain in MSN Money) you can also use
the symbol lookup function when adding your new option investment within MS
Money.  That will find the option chain, and displays the new symbols.  Only
problem is, when the new symbol is saved by MS Money it doesn't appear to
work.  The quote server must not recognize it.  It appears that the Symbol
field in MS Money is 12 chars. long, but the new symbols are 15 chars. long.
MS Money saves something, but displays only the first 6 chars. or so,
followed by "...".  It's hard to know what it actually saved behind the
scenes.  I suspect MS Money needs a "fix" in order to get it to work with the
new option symbol format.  Has anyone else found a solution?

"Paul" wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get the new symbol option quotes into the Portfolio
> Manager within MS Money? The symbol format changed on 1/25/2010 from the old
> format (ex.. Dell february 13 put was .dlyno) which is no longer valid.
Bob A., I came to the same conclusion that the symbol field in MS Money is
only 12 characters long and gets truncated. You can enter 15 characters then
you get a beep but when you go back to look at what you entered it only
displays 12. I agree that MS Money needs to get this fixed to work around
this problem. I don't see any alternative.

Paul

"Bob A." wrote:

> Paul - I'm having the same problem and am not happy about it.  In addition to
> Mark's suggestion (looking up the option chain in MSN Money) you can also use
> the symbol lookup function when adding your new option investment within MS
> Money.  That will find the option chain, and displays the new symbols.  Only
> problem is, when the new symbol is saved by MS Money it doesn't appear to
> work.  The quote server must not recognize it.  It appears that the Symbol
> field in MS Money is 12 chars. long, but the new symbols are 15 chars. long.
> MS Money saves something, but displays only the first 6 chars. or so,
> followed by "...".  It's hard to know what it actually saved behind the
> scenes.  I suspect MS Money needs a "fix" in order to get it to work with the
> new option symbol format.  Has anyone else found a solution?
>
> "Paul" wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to get the new symbol option quotes into the Portfolio
> > Manager within MS Money? The symbol format changed on 1/25/2010 from the old
> > format (ex.. Dell february 13 put was .dlyno) which is no longer valid.
Do you KNOW that the MS servers carry the option price that interests you?

Given that MS will discontinue price downloads after 2011-01-31  I think it
is highly unlikely that they will create patches to increase the symbol
field length from 12 to 15 (or more) characters for obsolescent versions of
Money  and it is beyond belief that they will create patches for obsolete
versions.

An alternative is to enter option prices manually.

teabag

> Bob A.,
> I came to the same conclusion that the symbol field in MS Money is only 12
> characters long and gets truncated.
> I agree that MS Money needs to get this fixed to work around this problem.
> I don't see any alternative.
>
> Paul

0
teabag
1/27/2010 4:01:21 PM
Teabag, I believe your right, we will have to update the prices manually.
MSFT will most likely not create a patch to extend the symbol field length
although it does appear to be a simple change.

Paul

"teabag" wrote:

> Do you KNOW that the MS servers carry the option price that interests you?
>
> Given that MS will discontinue price downloads after 2011-01-31  I think it
> is highly unlikely that they will create patches to increase the symbol
> field length from 12 to 15 (or more) characters for obsolescent versions of
> Money  and it is beyond belief that they will create patches for obsolete
> versions.
>
> An alternative is to enter option prices manually.
>
> teabag
>

> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Bob A.,
> > I came to the same conclusion that the symbol field in MS Money is only 12
> > characters long and gets truncated.
> > I agree that MS Money needs to get this fixed to work around this problem.
> > I don't see any alternative.
> >
> > Paul
>

> .

Do I understand this correctly? That after Jan 31, 2011 MS Money will no
longer get any stock quotes updated? Tracking portfolio value is one of the
main reasons I use MS Money.

"teabag" wrote:

> Given that MS will discontinue price downloads after 2011-01-31  I think it
> is highly unlikely that they will create patches to increase the symbol
> field length from 12 to 15 (or more) characters for obsolescent versions of
> Money  and it is beyond belief that they will create patches for obsolete
> versions.

Agreed teabag.  Yes - I do know that the MS servers carry the options prices,
and as I had mentioned you can look up the options chains (and prices) when
adding a new option investment from within MS Money.  I guess I'm just
expressing my frustration with the fact that MS Money is slowly becoming less
and less useful to track investments, and as you mentioned that will be
capped off by the discontinuation of price downloads in 2011.  For now it
appears that manually entering option prices as I've started doing is the
only recourse.  Very sad.  Money is an excellent product for the most part.

"teabag" wrote:

> Do you KNOW that the MS servers carry the option price that interests you?
>
> Given that MS will discontinue price downloads after 2011-01-31  I think it
> is highly unlikely that they will create patches to increase the symbol
> field length from 12 to 15 (or more) characters for obsolescent versions of
> Money  and it is beyond belief that they will create patches for obsolete
> versions.
>
> An alternative is to enter option prices manually.
>
> teabag
>

> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Bob A.,
> > I came to the same conclusion that the symbol field in MS Money is only 12
> > characters long and gets truncated.
> > I agree that MS Money needs to get this fixed to work around this problem.
> > I don't see any alternative.
> >
> > Paul
>

> .

OK, glad I found this thread before struggling too long. Ran into all this
and doesn't seem to be a work around. Curiously an older call option I have
outstanding which has the old format symbol continues to update. Tried to
recreate the older format for a new call I bought yesterday but it won't take.

Here is something that works outside of Money. If you have Excel you can
download the Excel 2003 add in "MS Money Stock Quote for Excel" (I think I
got it from MSFT web site). It takes the new format and updates correctly.
Not perfect but at least gets an automated way of doing it.

"Paul" wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get the new symbol option quotes into the Portfolio
> Manager within MS Money? The symbol format changed on 1/25/2010 from the old
> format (ex.. Dell february 13 put was .dlyno) which is no longer valid.
It's for Excel 2002 and 2003:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=485FCCD8-9305-4535-B939-3BF0A740A9B1&displaylang=en

Frank

"gcraig" <gcraig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK, glad I found this thread before struggling too long. Ran into all this
> and doesn't seem to be a work around. Curiously an older call option I
> have
> outstanding which has the old format symbol continues to update. Tried to
> recreate the older format for a new call I bought yesterday but it won't
> take.
>
> Here is something that works outside of Money. If you have Excel you can
> download the Excel 2003 add in "MS Money Stock Quote for Excel" (I think I
> got it from MSFT web site). It takes the new format and updates correctly.
> Not perfect but at least gets an automated way of doing it.
>
> "Paul" wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how to get the new symbol option quotes into the
>> Portfolio
>> Manager within MS Money? The symbol format changed on 1/25/2010 from the
>> old
>> format (ex.. Dell february 13 put was .dlyno) which is no longer valid.

0
FrankV
2/2/2010 8:49:49 PM
I installed in Excel 2007 and it works fine.

"FrankV" wrote:

> It's for Excel 2002 and 2003:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=485FCCD8-9305-4535-B939-3BF0A740A9B1&displaylang=en
>
> Frank

OK, weirdness, today my call options started pricing correctly.  The
following format for calls starting pricing correctly today in money:

WGE1221A12.5

I stumbled on information that indicates that Money should accomodate the new
21-digit symbology for options and felt I had to share it here.  If in fact
it works, the next step will be to get the OFX scripts to obtain the data
from Yahoo! along with stock quotes so that we will be able to import into
Money after Microsoft pulls the plug.

Anyways, check out the link to a slide show from Schwab on how to change the
option symbol.  They don't seem to think there is a 12 digit max...

http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/02/17/new-options-symbology-microsoft-money-compatible/

"Paul" wrote:

> Bob A., I came to the same conclusion that the symbol field in MS Money is
> only 12 characters long and gets truncated. You can enter 15 characters then
> you get a beep but when you go back to look at what you entered it only
> displays 12. I agree that MS Money needs to get this fixed to work around
> this problem. I don't see any alternative.
>
> Paul
>
> "Bob A." wrote:
>
> > Paul - I'm having the same problem and am not happy about it.  In addition to
> > Mark's suggestion (looking up the option chain in MSN Money) you can also use
> > the symbol lookup function when adding your new option investment within MS
> > Money.  That will find the option chain, and displays the new symbols.  Only
> > problem is, when the new symbol is saved by MS Money it doesn't appear to
> > work.  The quote server must not recognize it.  It appears that the Symbol
> > field in MS Money is 12 chars. long, but the new symbols are 15 chars. long.
> > MS Money saves something, but displays only the first 6 chars. or so,
> > followed by "...".  It's hard to know what it actually saved behind the
> > scenes.  I suspect MS Money needs a "fix" in order to get it to work with the
> > new option symbol format.  Has anyone else found a solution?
> >
> > "Paul" wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know how to get the new symbol option quotes into the Portfolio
> > > Manager within MS Money? The symbol format changed on 1/25/2010 from the old
> > > format (ex.. Dell february 13 put was .dlyno) which is no longer valid.

Issue with Stock Options in Conversion from 2004 to 2005
In my 2004 standard version I have 5 stock option grants. After conversion to 2005 standard not all the grants show up in the Portfolio Manager. In Portfolio Manager only the first 3 grants show up. In the Portfolio Review the 1st, 4th and 5th grants show up. In the Stock Options Account Register, all the grants and transaction are showing. Seems to be a bug. Any ideas on how to get all the grants in all the views? I have a simular issue. All 4 of my stock options grants showed up when converting to 2005. After exercising part of one of the grants, that grant no longer shows up in th...

installing a non-MS font into word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Hi, I'm trying to download a free font called scriptina <http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=2873> into word. It won't show up? I was able to get it to install into the text editor. any suggestions?? thanks! heatherc heatherc@officeformac.com wrote: > I'm trying to download a free font called scriptina > <http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=2873> > into word. > > It won't show up? I was able to get it to install into the text editor. Install fonts in your ma...

Disable MS Office Button & Navigation Pane
Is it possible to remove the 'New', 'Open' and 'Save As','Close Database' and 'Access Options' options from the MS Office Button? I created a custom Ribbon that strips everything out, but would like to get these options out of the hands of the users. Also, is it possible to hide the Navigation Bar as well? My app very thoroughly handles user navigation, not to mention that I don't want the users to have access to any of these options at all. ...

Money 2005 still in Beta?
I am wondering if Money 2005 is out of beta? I bought it to upgrade from 2004. Custom invoice did not move along... it's gone from the list. Money won't save new custom template... Money Express start up key in the registry is not removed... Did I buy a beta software? WTF did the beta tester do? These are not obscure bugs... No it is now RTM (production). Should be in stores as of today, I think.... "Frogy_97" <frogy_97@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23izMb0AoEHA.2840@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >I am wondering if Money 2005 is out of beta? > > I b...

A Crystal Beginner

Alter position of "Duplicate Receipt" text on receipt
Hi, I'm not too familiar with XML, but I'd really like to be able to move the position of the text "Duplicate Receipt" into the main body of the receipt- below the store address- as opposed to having it as a header and footer. Can anyone help? Thanks. hi Tara, you can do so, Open the receipt.xml file and find there are 2 boolean paramter <SET name="ShowDuplicateBefore" custom="false" description="Show Duplicate At Top" type="vbBoolean"> True </SET> <SET name="ShowDuplicateAfter" custom="true&q...

fix send email after message "interface not registered"
How to fix the communication between outlook (2003) and word (2003) to use the "compose" and "send" buttons in / from outlook. A "word 2003" message pops up "INTERFACE NOT REGISTERED" and that's that! No emails can be sent from outlook 2003. When using Word as the e-mail editor, you get the error "Interface Not Registered" when trying to send e-mail. To solve this so you can use Word as the editor again, close all running Office applications. In Start-> Run then type; Regsvr32.exe %Windir%\System32\Ole32.dll --� Milly Staples [M...

GP 10 new install (trial)
Hello, I installed a trial version of GP 10 on a standalone PC to evaluate it. Install seems to complete without problem (includes SQL 2005 install) but when I first want to run Utilities I get an error message " an error occurred while using the bcp utility - data was not correctly copied to the server..." It says it's either a BCP install or ODBC issue. Re-installed everything, same result. Would anybody have a clue? This problem occurs if the User Account Control (UAC) feature is enabled in Windows Vista. However, you must disable the UAC feature if you want to run M...

"Compile error in hidden module: GlobalCodeModule"
Hi, we have 3 versions of office installed 2003, 2007, 2010. We have had no problems with that until a week ago or so. In Word 2003 we have code in a global template which uses a treeview control from mscomctl.ocx. I'm not sure that this is the problem though. I have tried to uncheck the reference to theat control and save the template, but then I get another error message "The disk is full. etc etc". I can't save the template after removing the reference or doing any other editing in that template. This not only occurring on my computer. I suspect a rec...

Get paid while you get online!!

Pivot Table with MS Access as DataSource
Hello all. Thanks for the help in advance. I am trying to use a UNC to pull data from a MS Access database as a external datasource for a pivot table in MS Excel 2003. I can actively pull the data, since I have a network drive mapped to the location, but others who have the drive mapped to another letter are unable to open the document and refresh. I am trying to figure out the best way to create this pivot table utilizing the shared network UNC. Please help! Regards, Me Hello, I would use a SQL query to pull the data out of the Access db. Then everyone can push...

Add new record using first available non-numeric ID; update two ta
Access 2003, Windows XP Pro SP2 I have two tables, tblDed and tblVendor. tblDed contains two columns (DedID and Avail). The first column contains a list of all DedIDs allowed to be used. The second is a Yes/No choice indicating whether or not that DedID has been used already. tblVendor contains multiple columns with misc. data relevant to the Vendor. I want to create a form that will accomplish three things: 1. Use the next available unused DedID when a command button on a referring menu page (frmMenu, btnNew) is pressed. 2. Mark the now-used DedID in tblDed as "No" - no ...

Outlook Software Options for Palm
I just bought my first Palm (Tungsten E model). I'm looking for an Outlook software program to sync with instead of using the Palm one that has some compatibility issues with Outlook. Thanks in advance for any recommendations on third party Outlook vendors for Palm. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ http://www.chapura.com - IntelliMirror works well. It is included with most Palm OS CDs but may have been dropped from the latest Palm CDs. --� Milly St...

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

Can I enter items in MSN Money and have it update Money?
I would like to be able to manage my checking account on MSN Money when I am traveling can I do this and have it sychronize with Money on my PC when I return? If so how? Thanks Kelly Which version of Money? -- Michael Gordon MVP "Kelly" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09dc01c4aaf1$ee8880a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I would like to be able to manage my checking account on > MSN Money when I am traveling can I do this and have it > sychronize with Money on my PC when I return? If so how? > > Thanks > Kelly ...

HOW I US "IF" FORMULS ATLEAST 15times,
IF(K22>1200000,K22*11/100,IF(K22>1050000,K22*10/100,IF(K22>900000,K22*9/100,IF(K22>750000,K22*7.5/100,IF(K22>650000,K22*6/100,IF(K22>550000,K22*4.5/100,IF(K22>450000,K22*3.5/100,IF(K22>400000,K22*2.5/100,IF(K22>350000,K22*1.5/100,IF(K22>250000,K22*0.75/100,IF(K22>180000,K22-180000)*0.25/100)))))))))) please correct if there is any error in said fomula Look here: http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip080.htm -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "zahida" <zahida@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9601ECA6-D90...

Get notified when Out of Office is on

How do I get??