How do I post 401k "Earnings" Entries

I'm new to Money and am posting my first question.  I've looked through the 
BB and also the FAQ, and didn't see anything that quite fit the bill.

My 401k statements tell me my contributions and display "earnings" to the 
fund, to give a current value.  Obviously somewhere in the background are 
shares and prices, but that's not supplied on the statement.   Any 
suggestions how to track that within Money?  I'm attemping to show 
contributions as a Add Share transaction with a price of 1 and a quantity the 
actual contribution.  I do similar for Earnings but use Reinvest Interest.  
This seemed clunky, but functional, until you get to negative earnings.   If 
I had share price data that would simply be a drop in share price, but I just 
have it as +/- earnings. I used Remove Shares for this one, but I'm sure 
there must be a more consistent technique.  Before I get to far with entering 
past statements, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks
Scott
0
3/28/2005 3:03:03 PM
money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

3 Replies
357 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 5

If you use the Account Summary|Account Update (or similar, I'm not sure of
the exact path and can't look from here) It will allow you to enter a
statement total for each holding/cash position. It will then enter either
Add Shares or Remove Shares to get back to the statement balance. This is
very similar to what you propose doing. As to entering previous statements,
once you get to a reconciled balance with a current statement, I'm not sure
there is any value to doing so.

"DiverScott" <DiverScott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BFF001E8-0D32-4991-BBA5-CB00A8167416@microsoft.com...
> I'm new to Money and am posting my first question.  I've looked through
the
> BB and also the FAQ, and didn't see anything that quite fit the bill.
>
> My 401k statements tell me my contributions and display "earnings" to the
> fund, to give a current value.  Obviously somewhere in the background are
> shares and prices, but that's not supplied on the statement.   Any
> suggestions how to track that within Money?  I'm attemping to show
> contributions as a Add Share transaction with a price of 1 and a quantity
the
> actual contribution.  I do similar for Earnings but use Reinvest Interest.
> This seemed clunky, but functional, until you get to negative earnings.
If
> I had share price data that would simply be a drop in share price, but I
just
> have it as +/- earnings. I used Remove Shares for this one, but I'm sure
> there must be a more consistent technique.  Before I get to far with
entering
> past statements, I thought I'd ask.
>
> Thanks
> Scott


0
3/28/2005 6:06:16 PM
Thanks for your answer, but I'm still missing a piece.  What you suggest 
works, but it doesnt allow me to see the growth in the fund from my 
contributions vs. the 'earnings' as they're listed on my statement.  I need 
to figure out a way to post my contributions separate from the earnings.  My 
reference to past statements is that I'm just setting up my 401k tracking 
with Money (I'm a quicken convert).  I have statements back to 97 and I'd 
like to enter all the quarterly data with the hope of being able to see how 
much of the current and future balance is from the growth.

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> If you use the Account Summary|Account Update (or similar, I'm not sure of
> the exact path and can't look from here) It will allow you to enter a
> statement total for each holding/cash position. It will then enter either
> Add Shares or Remove Shares to get back to the statement balance. This is
> very similar to what you propose doing. As to entering previous statements,
> once you get to a reconciled balance with a current statement, I'm not sure
> there is any value to doing so.
> 
> "DiverScott" <DiverScott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BFF001E8-0D32-4991-BBA5-CB00A8167416@microsoft.com...
> > I'm new to Money and am posting my first question.  I've looked through
> the
> > BB and also the FAQ, and didn't see anything that quite fit the bill.
> >
> > My 401k statements tell me my contributions and display "earnings" to the
> > fund, to give a current value.  Obviously somewhere in the background are
> > shares and prices, but that's not supplied on the statement.   Any
> > suggestions how to track that within Money?  I'm attemping to show
> > contributions as a Add Share transaction with a price of 1 and a quantity
> the
> > actual contribution.  I do similar for Earnings but use Reinvest Interest.
> > This seemed clunky, but functional, until you get to negative earnings.
> If
> > I had share price data that would simply be a drop in share price, but I
> just
> > have it as +/- earnings. I used Remove Shares for this one, but I'm sure
> > there must be a more consistent technique.  Before I get to far with
> entering
> > past statements, I thought I'd ask.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Scott
> 
> 
> 
0
4/2/2005 4:09:02 PM
This is possible if your statements list periodic contributions by fund and 
you crank in lots of data.

For each statement, enter appropriately dated Buy transaction(s) for the 
fund(s) in the amount of the invested contributions, but leave the transfer 
account field blank. The money for these Buys will appear as though from 
thin air. After entering the contribution Buys, compare Account Summary fund 
totals with the statement totals. Enter corrective Add/Remove shares 
transactions (I think these will be treated as "earnings/losses" but you may 
want to test to see for sure before getting crazed cranking in data) to 
match the statements. Repeat until done.

Note that these "thin air" purchases may hose up other reports because they 
may appear as something like unassigned income. Test to find out.

Note that performance reporting may still be distorted depending on your 
plan's mechanics. If it actually purchases weekly with a one day lag from 
contributions and you show it as purchasing quarterly from the statement 
data, this will affect the calculations.

"DiverScott" <DiverScott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:7B9B2700-C5A0-4170-9A3A-736B614EED14@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for your answer, but I'm still missing a piece.  What you suggest
> works, but it doesnt allow me to see the growth in the fund from my
> contributions vs. the 'earnings' as they're listed on my statement.  I 
> need
> to figure out a way to post my contributions separate from the earnings. 
> My
> reference to past statements is that I'm just setting up my 401k tracking
> with Money (I'm a quicken convert).  I have statements back to 97 and I'd
> like to enter all the quarterly data with the hope of being able to see 
> how
> much of the current and future balance is from the growth. 


0
4/2/2005 6:47:41 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

"True" Benefit Calculcation in Earnings Statement
Hello: Both here in my 9.0 Fabrikam and at a 9.0 client site, I have seen instances of something unusual in the Payroll Benefits Section of the Direct Deposit Earnings Statement. This section of the statement needs to show (and should be showing) the amount of the benefit that is paid by the employer on behalf of the employee. Both the client and I have noticed that the benefit amount that is displayed in the statement is showing the "total amount" of the benefit. Let me explain. Let's say that the employer sets up (in GP Human Resources) a health insurance benefit of ...

How do I post 401k "Earnings" Entries
I'm new to Money and am posting my first question. I've looked through the BB and also the FAQ, and didn't see anything that quite fit the bill. My 401k statements tell me my contributions and display "earnings" to the fund, to give a current value. Obviously somewhere in the background are shares and prices, but that's not supplied on the statement. Any suggestions how to track that within Money? I'm attemping to show contributions as a Add Share transaction with a price of 1 and a quantity the actual contribution. I do similar for Earnings but use R...

DD earnings statement benefits inaccurate
Hello: It will be early this coming week, before I find out the full story. But, I have been reviewing here on my laptop how to modify the Benefits section of the GP 9.0 Payroll Direct Deposit Earnings statement. A client that uses this statement says that some of the benefits appearing on the statement are calculating incorrectly. He says that, for some of the benefits for some of the employees, the benefit amount needs to be subtracted from the corresponding deduction for those benefits that are paid by both employer and employee. I have never seen a situation in GP where a dedu...

Retained Earnings posting issue
We have a customer who closed their fiscal year as of Sep. 30, 2008. They made some adjusting journal entries over the weekend and posted the batch. While attempting to reuse the same batch ID for additional entries, they found that one entry from the previous posting was still in the batch and the batch was in Batch Recovery. The edit list showed the error message that the Retained Earnings account was not a Balance Sheet account. We found that the RE account had been changed in GL setup. The problem is that of the six entries in this batch, 4 should not have posted due to this err...

retained earnings
I am trying to process yearend closing now that I have all the audit entries made, however, I am getting an error. Retained Earnings lists an account called Fund Balance however its category is Retained Earnings and is listed as a Balance Sheet, credit balance. But when I click on Close Year, I get an "i" message that says "The retained earnings account was not found." I selected the account from the look up window and have also tried retyping the account number. Has anyone else had this problem? What version are you on? On 8.0, Tools>>Setup>>Fin...

Stocks with Low Price/Earnings Rratio
Stocks with Low Price/Earnings Rratio - 03/17/2006 For a list of stocks with Low Price/Earnings Rratio, in Dow 30, Nasdaq 100, S&P 100, S&P 400 and S&P 500 indices, please go to: http://www.investment-tools.com and then click on "Enter Reports Area" button. Access to reports area is free ...

GL Transaction for Retained Earnings in Prior Year
Our Accountant handed us an AJE for last year, and we're now deep into the new year (last year is closed). The entry isn't for the Revenue and Expense accounts exclusively, as the accountant hit the RE account directly. The entry won't post, even though we have December and January GL module in Fiscal Period setup unchecked (open). Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated. DR CR Deferred Income Tax 2160-097 52760 Taxes & License 6080-097 4659 Retained Earnings 3050-097 48101 Harry, Make sure you are allowing Posting to History by go...

Direct Deposit Earnings Statement update YTD figures
I want to update the YTD figures on the Direct Deposit Earnings Statement, for some manual checks that were issued outside of payroll. I want to update the payroll tables only, and not the GL or Bank Rec. I know I can enter a beginning balance trx in the Manual Check entry, and it will update the YTD figures in payroll. What I need to know is if it will update the UPR10214 work table the next time the Earnings Statements are generated. Where does the UPR10214 table get its YTD information during the printing of the Direct Deposit earnings statements? Does it look at the existing hi...

Masking Bank Acct Number on DD Earnings Statement
How can I mask the Bank Number and Bank Account Number to show only the last four digits on the Direct Deposit Earnings Statement? I have looked at the knowledge base article on masking the social security number and it is close, but not every employee has the same bank account number length. Some employees could have an account number length of 8 for their account and others could have 12. Thanks, Jocelyn Jocelyn, If you are a microsoft partner, You can also post your question in Dynamics GP Partner forum that might help you receive suggestions from others also http://social.m...

Earnings from Contract Report in PA
In Earnings from Contract Report in PA, what is the definition for revenue earned, recognized revenue and cost of revenue. Thanks HI Wendy Revenue Earned is a calculated value based on costs incurred versus budgeted. It doesn't represent a value in your general ledger, only what you have "earned" based on your costs to date, and the associated revenue tied to those costs. Revenue Recognized, on the other hand does tie into your GL, and represent the revenue that you recognized during a revenue recognition batch creation. For Fixed Price and Cost Plus projects, you can...

email employee earnings statements
have the option to email employees their earnings statements. would be a huge time saver. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=65241bbb-c25f-4131-8e1e-c650b9768...

email earnings statement
In Payroll, allow individual earnings statements to be emailed to an employee. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=ea343431-c989-44db-8673-5c581ca01846&dg=mi...

Mysterious Retained Earnings account
Other than the obvious GL table, where else would one assign account numbers? My GL table DOES NOT have my Quickbooks retained earnings account number ANYWHERE in it; however, RMS continues to post to that account. WHY WHY WHY? Where could it be? Jennifer This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0135_01C7F005.BCB88320 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Jennifer, IANAA, but from Help; This section describes how to export General Ledger (GL) accounting data = from Store Operations to a file, and ...

Retained earnings question
Hi everybody - My retained earnings ending balance for dec 31, 2009 is not the same as the retained earnings beginning balance for jan 1, 2010. There is a large difference. Should these number be the same? Yet, the trial balance ties out perfectly for both years. Is the retained earnings account treated differently than other accounts? No, they should not be the same. The year end close in Financials clears all the P&L accounts to retained earnings and carries the new balance forward to the new year. Retained earnings is an accumulation of all prior years' profits/loss...

Reprint Earnings Statement
A printing pocess of over 100 employees Earnings Statement has been interrupted. How can we recover from the specific point where the PC faulted? or can we just simply re-run the printing process of the entire statements run? Thanx Without knowing exactly what your status is, it's hard to give a good answer. Have you exited the Print Checks window? Did you post your payroll data? If you've already posted, there's no way to reprint the earnings statements. You would need to void the payments and process the payroll again or create a report that has the information th...

Employee Earnings History
Hi! I have a client who imports employee records into GP. They noticed that for the imported employees, history is not being kept (Cards-HR-Employee-Earnings History). Is there a history option that we're missing for the employee setup? I tried looking for the maintain history option in both HR and Payroll and the only option I saw is in the Payroll Setup. Any ideas? Thanks -- Marisol Mortera ...

emailing earnings statements
I have a client with approximately 240 employees and he has been asked to email the earnings statements to all his employees. is there a way to configure this in GP or is there a third party product that will accomplish this? Thanks -- Paula Check out Integrity Data. I have worked with them in the past. http://www.integrity-data.com/ Andy "Paula" wrote: > I have a client with approximately 240 employees and he has been asked to > email the earnings statements to all his employees. is there a way to > configure this in GP or is there a third ...

Automating earnings statements
We are interested in either: creating a location where employees can securely look up their earnings statement; or where we distribute each individual earnings statement to a private e-mail address (where the employee can choose to either print or not). Any advice for either option above would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Kerry Business Portal's Employee Self Service module called Employee Pay has this functionality. I've got a couple of clients using this module. One is a hospital with about 750 employees. It's very easy to use. -- Charles Allen, MVP ...

P/R Earnings Statements
On the Direct Deposit Earnings Statements produced by SBM Payroll, can the Vacation and Sick Time Available information be removed or suppressed somehow ? Thanks, Tom ...

Retained Earnings Account Not Found
Hello: Upon year-end close in the General Ledger, the following error message is appearing: "Retained Earnings Account Not Found". It has been determined that this has to do with divisional retained earnings. The two retained earnings accounts are: 2999-01-00-00-100-00 and 2999-01-00-00-400-00. According to a TK article, this sort of closing to divisional retained earnings will not work. Why is that? Also, is the "remedy" to close to just one of these two accounts and simply conduct a manual reclassification entry afterward? childofthe1980s B...

multiple retained earnings accounts
hi there, we have several funds that each have their own retained earnings, and the total of these equals the GP retained earnings account. We have one company. For years, we've reported these funds outside of GP, but the number of these is growing, and we'd like to memorialize them in the GL, if possible. Can I write a BBF journal to get the desired result? It is neither a 2007 or a 2008 entry - falls right in between. A regular journal can't do that. Would appreciate your help! There is not a way to create a BBF entry manually. It would have to be done behind the sc...

Business Portal Statement of Earnings
The client has been running Business Portal 4.0 for almost a year now. Just recently in their last 2 payruns some of the employees statement of earnings within BP do not show the Direct Deposit information anymore. Has any one else experienced this. Thanks Joel ...

Setting up prior year retained earnings
How do you set up the prior year retained earnings? Right now I have the showing as unresolved equity on the balance sheet. >Subject: Setting up prior year retained earnings >From: "Deb" anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com >Date: 8/2/2004 5:02 PM Eastern Standard Time >Message-id: <9dda01c478dc$77fdb370$a501280a@phx.gbl> > >How do you set up the prior year retained earnings? Right >now I have the showing as unresolved equity on the balance >sheet. > > > > > > You don't. Money is not like an accounting balance sheet where de...

Printing Direct Deposit Statement of Earnings
I completed the Payroll Direct Deposit setup along with regular Payroll Setup in GP10.0. The process of building payroll (Transaction>Payroll>Build Checks) and calculating payroll (Transaction>Payroll>Calculate Checks) works perfect. But when I go to calculate direct deposit and print earnings statement, the options are not available in the Post Payroll Checks window. FYI, It does allow us to print checks and post checks so that process is working. Did you activate direct deposit on the Direct Deposit Setup window? By default it is inactive. -- Charles Allen, MVP &q...

Pay Rate on DD Earnings Statement
Did anything change with the Direct Deposit Earnings Statement in the Year End Update? My old DD Earnings statement prints the Pay Rate from the Pay Code window. Now that the Year End update has been applied, the Pay Rate on the DD Earnings Statement shows the rate per hour. For instance, the salary pay rate for an employee is $56,559.60. This is the amount that used to show in the Pay Rate. It now shows $27.19 which is $56,559.60/2080 hours. I just wanted to make sure that this changed in the year end update. Thanks, Jocelyn ...