How do I get useful month-to-month comparisons?

Now that I have all my Asset and Liability accounts set
up and 5 months of entries that balance out correctly and
are categorized, I'm trying to figure out how to get
useful month-to-month comparisons.

What I want to do: make sure my normal income actually
covers my normal expenses and savings goals.

I want to see my average monthly income vs. expenses, but
not the default incomve vs. expense Report: I want to
ignore certain extraneous one-time expenses and
unpredictable income events, and I want certain income or
expense events to be averaged out over the year rather
than appearing in the month they occur.  Right now
there's so much noise in the income vs. expense report
that I can't figure out what's really going on.

Any advice on how I can accomplish something like this?

Thank you,

--Michael
0
anonymous (74718)
6/1/2004 6:08:08 AM
money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

I use the free OpenOffice.org office suite which includes an excel
like spreadsheet program.  My rows are my assets and liabilities and
the columns are the months.  I use a new sheet for each year.

I know I can do this in Mny03 deluxe in the Reports but I spend too
much time trying to figure out how to get what I want.

arthur
--
On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:08:08 -0700, "Michael"  wrote:
>Now that I have all my Asset and Liability accounts set
>up and 5 months of entries that balance out correctly and
>are categorized, I'm trying to figure out how to get
>useful month-to-month comparisons.
>
>What I want to do: make sure my normal income actually
>covers my normal expenses and savings goals.
>
>I want to see my average monthly income vs. expenses, but
>not the default incomve vs. expense Report: I want to
>ignore certain extraneous one-time expenses and
>unpredictable income events, and I want certain income or
>expense events to be averaged out over the year rather
>than appearing in the month they occur.  Right now
>there's so much noise in the income vs. expense report
>that I can't figure out what's really going on.
>
>Any advice on how I can accomplish something like this?
>
>Thank you,
>--Michael
It seems like one of the most common things people would
want to do is make sure their normal monthly income
covers their normal expenses and savings goals.  Does
nobody have advice on how to use Money to help me figure
this out?

If you don't use Money to answer this question, then I'm
super curious: what do you use Money for??  (Maybe there
are some other great financial questions I should be
asking myself, but just don't know enough to ask...)

Thanks,

--Michael

0
anonymous (74718)
6/6/2004 6:09:27 AM
I don't use it for month-to-month comparison.

The Monthly reports do some rudimentary month-to-last-month comparisons.

M04 added some comparison reports, though I've had them for almost a year
now and have never run one.

In microsoft.public.money, Michael wrote:

>It seems like one of the most common things people would
>want to do is make sure their normal monthly income
>covers their normal expenses and savings goals.  Does
>nobody have advice on how to use Money to help me figure
>this out?

You would think so.

>If you don't use Money to answer this question, then I'm
>super curious: what do you use Money for??  (Maybe there
>are some other great financial questions I should be
>asking myself, but just don't know enough to ask...)

Money is different things to different people. If you buy stocks or
mutual funds, Money is a great way to track the data and assist in
tax preparation. Money can download transactions and other data for
checking and credit card accounts to track things. My favorite
things are not necessarily going to be your favorite things.

0
via_newsgroup (13113)
6/6/2004 1:55:31 PM
Michael

Some questions:

Did you assign a unique category for non-recurring income and
expenses?  If not, you will need to do so.

Can you deal with simple spreadsheet programming or are you willing to
learn.

Would you want to use accounting software to track your personal
finances?
I will assume you have assigned each non-recurring item so now what
you can do is make a copy of your .mny file and rename it, ( eg
report.mny ) so you will know it is only for reports.  Launch the
report.mny file and using the search tool in advanced mode find all of
your non-recurring items and delete them.  Now run your reports sans
those items.

The other 2 questions are ways you could do what you want.

arthur
--
On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:08:08 -0700, "Michael"  wrote:
>Now that I have all my Asset and Liability accounts set
>up and 5 months of entries that balance out correctly and
>are categorized, I'm trying to figure out how to get
>useful month-to-month comparisons.
>
>What I want to do: make sure my normal income actually
>covers my normal expenses and savings goals.
>
>I want to see my average monthly income vs. expenses, but
>not the default incomve vs. expense Report: I want to
>ignore certain extraneous one-time expenses and
>unpredictable income events, and I want certain income or
>expense events to be averaged out over the year rather
>than appearing in the month they occur.  Right now
>there's so much noise in the income vs. expense report
>that I can't figure out what's really going on.
>
>Any advice on how I can accomplish something like this?
>
>Thank you,
>--Michael

Using MIDL compiler
After an exhausting search through MSDN I still have no idea how to invoke the midl compiler to produce a type library (idl -> tlb). http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/midl/midl/invoking_the_midl_compiler.asp How/where do you run the tool? ? 0 0 ( /----\ Thanks, Mark > After an exhausting search through MSDN I still have no idea how to > invoke the midl compiler to produce a type library (idl -> tlb). > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/midl/midl/invoking_the_midl_compiler.asp > > How/where do yo...

Using Outlook Custom Forms through OWA
Hi all, Is there any way to implement this? We have an Exchange 2003 server with Sp2. Users out of office hope to use outlook custom forms through OWA. Can this be done? ...

AutoArchive using VBA CDO CdoPR_AGING_PATH
I am trying to programatically change the path to the archive file. My pst has may folders and I dont want to change the path on each one by hand. Using the code I can change the GRANULARITY and the PERIOD but the path wont change. ( I am verifying the settings by right clicking the folder and selecting AutoArchive). I have tested in both Outlook 2002 and 2003. On 2003 I was able to change the path when I ran the code the first time but subsequent attempt failed to change the path. Strangely when I view the path (objMessage.Fields.Item(CdoPR_AGING_PATH).Value) via code after I change it, i...

Likert scale calculation
I have used the following table in my survey: Frequency of use - check which on is applicable: every few hours every few mins every few secs item1 item2 item3 .. .. .. item10 so the sample data looks like this: id item1 item 2 ............. item10 1 hours hrs ................. mins 2 secs hrs ................. mins 3 mins hrs ................. mins I want to add up the hours secs mins for each item..for example (from the above sample): ev...

A Crystal Beginner

Using current date track budget.
Hi, I am trying to update a percentage completion cell in a budget tracking spreadsheet based on the current month. Basically I have a row for each activity and a column for each month. I enter the hours completed for each activity in each month. I have a total number of hours value which will be used to calculate the %completed. So what I need is to a formula that will calculate the following: if ( this month is April) then (sum the hours from start month to april and divide by the total hours cell) else if (this month is May) then (sum the hours from start month to april and ...

Get paid while you get online!!

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

using the $ to lock formulas
We are using the $ to lock the formula but when columns are inserted the formula still changes. How do we correct this? Thank you for any assistance you can give. Hi one way would be to use something like INDIRECT("A1") to always refer to cell A1. Note: copying this formula won't change the cell reference -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany frankmlr wrote: > We are using the $ to lock the formula but when columns > are inserted the formula still changes. How do we correct > this? > > > Thank you for any assistance you can give. One way: =I...

Using CTabCtrl!!!
Hi All! I am looking forward to have an idea of how to draw controls on the CTabCtrl. One way I have in mind is draw the child controls on a separate dialog and draw the dialog on the CTabCtrl window. But the problem is when I do this with the code CTestDlg *pDlg = new CTestDlg; dlg.Create(IDC_TEST_DLG,GetDlgItem(IDC_TAB_CTRL)); it even covers the tabs. Now how can I fix it within the tab window at appropriate place. I have tried to draw the group box on the area of tab control and make that group box the parent window, this will make the new dialog at the appropriate position. But I don...

How do I get??

Get notified when Out of Office is on

How to change account used for replies from default
Hi I am using OL2007 on exchange 2007, have pretty minimal VBA skills (mainly in excel). I have several email addresses (a,b,c) which are all funnelled via my exchange account (d). The problem is that when i reply to an email sent to account a, OL automatically uses my exchange account (d). Is it possible to change this using vba so that outlook chooses the same account to send that the email was sent to? thanks David M If the message was retrieved (pulled) using an SMTP account, the replies will be sent using the right account - on the low level, the message gets ...

Getting Control ID in Active X control

Display a person's age in years & months: for example 4;11
How do you show a person's chronological age in years & months in Excel: I want the age to show up as 4;11 (4 yr 11 mo), not as 4.91. Thanks! long winded but it works for me. =ROUNDDOWN(((TODAY()-A1)/365.25),0 &";"&ROUNDDOWN(MOD((TODAY()-A1),365.25)/365.25*12,0) A1 contains the persons birth date -- dcronj ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dcronje's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=528 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26285 Hi, Try =DATEDIF(A1,...

Months or Years remaining, formatting
Hello all. =(A1-(NOW()))/365 The above formula gives me years remaining as "X.XX YEARS" (currently I have the cell formatted as 0.0" years"; ) This is a two-part question: (a) FORMULA CHANGE: I want to change the formula so that the result is the same, UNLESS [LESS THAN 1 YEAR], THEN "X.XX MONTHS" (b) FORMATTING METHOD: should i set up a conditional formatting solution, or can I just do this all in one in-cell formula? Any help would be much apprecieted. - Jim -- James C ------------------------------------------------------------------------ James C...

Faxing using Access 2007
Access is a great database however, I would like to be able to send out faxes from the database. What are my options to make this happen? You need a fax program. Just print your reports to the fax driver. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D352E20-3D64-4EC6-8444-44702B34B6E4@microsoft.com... > Access is a great database however, I would like to be able to send out > faxes > from the database. What are my options ...