I noticed that Money treats money that I contribute to a 401k account or
transfer to a savings account as an expense.  Basically, the more I
contribute, the worse my budget looks.  Is there a way to prevent this from
happening?

Right now, I exclude transfers to my savings account from the budget and it
solves the problem, however, I shouldn't have to manually do this each time.
For 401k contributions, I cannot find a way to do this.
0
E9 (4)
3/4/2006 5:14:57 AM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

Why does it show up as "an expense" (what Category???) instead of something
like Transfer Out of Budget Accounts? The 401k cash account should be setup
as not in budget. The money should be getting there as a Transfer. Hence the
Transfer Out of Budget Accounts.

There's probably something I'm guessing incorrectly about how you are really
doing this. Advanced Register all around? Advanced Budget?

"E9" <E9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I noticed that Money treats money that I contribute to a 401k account or
> transfer to a savings account as an expense.  Basically, the more I
> contribute, the worse my budget looks.  Is there a way to prevent this
> from
> happening?
>
> Right now, I exclude transfers to my savings account from the budget and
> it
> solves the problem, however, I shouldn't have to manually do this each
> time.
> For 401k contributions, I cannot find a way to do this.

Dick,

You're right, it shows up as a transfer.  The budget screen, however, adds
the amount to the 'total expenses' row.

I think Money does it this way because it reduces my paycheck by the amount
I'm contributing.

Bottom line is my net worth goes up but my budget always looks unbalanced.

E9

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> Why does it show up as "an expense" (what Category???) instead of something
> like Transfer Out of Budget Accounts? The 401k cash account should be setup
> as not in budget. The money should be getting there as a Transfer. Hence the
> Transfer Out of Budget Accounts.
>
> There's probably something I'm guessing incorrectly about how you are really
> doing this. Advanced Register all around? Advanced Budget?
>
> "E9" <E9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I noticed that Money treats money that I contribute to a 401k account or
> > transfer to a savings account as an expense.  Basically, the more I
> > contribute, the worse my budget looks.  Is there a way to prevent this
> > from
> > happening?
> >
> > Right now, I exclude transfers to my savings account from the budget and
> > it
> > solves the problem, however, I shouldn't have to manually do this each
> > time.
> > For 401k contributions, I cannot find a way to do this.

0
E9 (4)
3/6/2006 2:03:27 AM
> Dick,
>
> You're right, it shows up as a transfer.  The budget screen, however, adds
> the amount to the 'total expenses' row.
>
> I think Money does it this way because it reduces my paycheck by the
> amount
> I'm contributing.
>
> Bottom line is my net worth goes up but my budget always looks unbalanced.

In the budget, transfers in and out of budget are considered income or
expense events.
--
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL

0
spam_magnet (1210)
3/6/2006 2:47:03 AM
Money Budget Planner is stuck halfway between purity (just the income and
expense category stuff) and what lots of users expect it to do instead
(basically accounting for all of the cash flow). It includes the transfers
in/out in order to get to the answer: can the user "afford" the budget or
does income less expenses come out positive.

I'm not sure what you mean by it reducing your paycheck. Tax Estimator does
goofy things with paycheck info in a good cause. I'm not aware of it doing
anything in BP (unless it does the same as TE--reducing the first category
line from the Wages tab by the total of the Before Tax tab).

I'm also not sure what you mean by your net worth goes up. Are you referring
to a Net Worth report or something?

"E9" <E9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You're right, it shows up as a transfer.  The budget screen, however, adds
> the amount to the 'total expenses' row.

I'm struggling with the same question.  I have my pay transactions entered as
paychecks, but I want my budget to include only my net pay.  In my budget, I
only want to work with amounts I can control.  For my purposes, 401(k)
contributions and taxes are not true budget items.  Is there any way to get
M06 to show net pay in the budget?
0
smbreau (3)
3/19/2006 3:33:29 AM
Not tell it about the other stuff.

Seriously, Money doesn't support what you want to do. It budgets everything.
You need to change your purposes to be more comprehensive and include taxes
and 401k contributions in your financial plan. There's no reason this is a
bad thing to do. You just have to adjust your mental frame of reference.

The only other way is to have a "gross pay" cash account that is set to not
be included in budget and put the paycheck there and pay the taxes from
there and do the 401k contribution from there and then transfer the net to
an account "in budget". Then this net would show up as a transfer into
budgeted accounts.

"smbreau" <smbreau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm struggling with the same question.  I have my pay transactions entered
> as
> paychecks, but I want my budget to include only my net pay.  In my budget,
> only want to work with amounts I can control.  For my purposes, 401(k)
> contributions and taxes are not true budget items.  Is there any way to
> get
> M06 to show net pay in the budget?

Exchange 2K to 2K3 migration
I'd like to get some advice on the best approach to handle the STM file during an Inter-Org mailbox move. The Exchange migration wizard will handle the the mailbox but how do you handle the content in the STM file? Thanks. You don't need to worry about it. Mailbox data is stored in both the EDB and STM files. Typically, message content from the Internet will be in the STM file. I'd suspect that when you migrate the mailboxes, all data will be converted to native MAPI format (moved to EDB file) and will then be moved to the new mailbox. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP Me...

Saving in Excel #3
I have a problem that just started last week. When I modify a cell with new text I cannot save the file until I click off the cell. I used to be able to click save without clicking off the box. Can someone tell me how to fix this? The save icon is still enabled for me when I'm editting a cell. (I use xl2003.) You could try resetting the standard toolbar: tools|customize|toolbars tab select the Standard toolbar click reset be aware that any customized changes you've made to that toolbar will have to be recreated. ====== If that doesn't help, how about a test: Close excel wi...

Save Close Cancel Dialog Box Woes
Just recently, in Outlook 2003, when I add a new appointment to the Calendar, I click on "Save and Close" on the upper-left corner and then a new "Save Close Cancel" dialog box appears. How can I stop the second dialog box from popping up? ...

What does 'activate' do in Analytical Accounting?
I tried activating AA on our test company this weekend, and the process ran for 10 hours before I killed it. It seems to have been working - the size of the company database went from 47GB at the beginning to 57GB when I terminated it. What is going on during the 'activate' process? Should the database being activated grow this much, and should the process take this long? -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 Hi Bud, I think you are on a hiding to nothing here ..... 47 GB database hmmmmmm ....... One of our companies that is about 14...

Handle to an ActiveX control
Hi... What if I use GetModuleHandle(L"abc.ocx") in the InitInstance() of the of the App class derived from 'COleControlModule'...of the ActiveX control "abc.ocx" ? Will I get the Handle or it will return NULL....? I have encountered controls, in some of them..handle is found and in others its NULL... Wat is the reason behind this behavior..? Can any one explain? "Abby++" <asthana.abhinav@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1174308443.062622.51500@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > What if I use GetModuleHandle(L"abc.ocx") in the InitI...

Account for Savings
If I have a Savings Account with $5,000 in it how do I account for the money? For example: $1,000 is for vacation $110 is for vehicle registration $240 is for vehicle maintenance - oil changes $150 is for clothing $1,000 is for furniture replacement $1,000 is for Christmas $1,500 is for Emergencies Create an account for each and transfer the amount saved per month for into each account and then transfer it back when I'm ready to spend it? Create a category for each and work that into the budget somehow? Any ideas? "Jason Williamson" <jason_ace750@yahoo.com>...

saving module
It seems that MS Access run all queries in the database when developer saves VBA file. Please let me know if I am wrong. It takes more than 5 minutes to save my module even only one line of code changed. If I do not save the module then I will lost my code if the code failed. I just wonder even I use unbound controls that MS Access still running all queries when developer save module or form design. Are there any workaround for this issue? Your help is great appreciated, > It seems that MS Access run all queries in the database when developer > saves VBA file. ...

Attachments saved to disk read only-- can I stop this?
Hello, When I save an attachment to disk from Outlook 2000 SP-3, it ends up read-only. This drives me NUTS, because I almost always have to edit such files. Is there a way to change this behavior? I really don't understand why it is this way in the first place... Cheers, joe w larson http://www.soundclick.com/joewlarson If you save attachments from mail in the preview pane, it will always be read-only. Open the message and then use the Save Attachments option to save them. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the...

Automatically Create Accounts in CRM
Hi Matt! I was hoping to learn if it is possible to create accounts in MS CRM from the back end. I've been recently exposed to DTS in SQL Server and was wondering if I could use our website to store company information of people who sign up for our newsletter in a temporary data table. At the end of the day I would run a DTS package that would import these records in to the CRM Accounts database. That way, the next day our sales/service folks can see all the prospective accounts that have requested information from us. Thanks for any guidance! Hi JMC ... I'd suggest you t...

invalid handle
hi frds i m very new in vc++ and i m founding too much difficulty in this so plz can any one solve this problem .... actully i m inserting a image in list box using this code ........ everything is returning write thing still it is saying invalid handle after ImageList_Add(hList,m_hBmpNew,0); when i m going to dibug it plz help me BOOL Fun() { // Create 256 color image lists HIMAGELIST hList = ImageList_Create(32,32, ILC_COLOR8 , 8, 1); HBITMAP m_hBmpNew = (HBITMAP) LoadImage( AfxGetInstanceHandle(), // handle to instance "c:\\img.bmp", /...

Payroll Posting Accounts Setup (GP 7.5)
I get the following message when setting up a Payroll Posting Account; the grid doesn't show as existing account anywhere. "An account has been assigned already tothis department, position and code combination" How do I fix this problem? ...

Excel XP: File name in Title Bar not changed after Save As...
Hi, Situation: I open Excel 2002 (XP), choose a file to open (eg "myfile.xls") and work in it. I save a copy via File / Save as. I name it "mynewfile.xls" and click OK. File correctly saved; the original still exists on disk. The filename appears correctly in the File menu in the list of recently used files. But: the information in the Excel's title bar didn't change: it still displays the filename of the first file. If I understand Excel well, it saves a copy of the original file to a new one, and keeps working with the new one. So the new filename should app...

Saved Views
Is there a way to lock certain fields in a saved view so that other users cannot change the search criteria? The reason I ask is that I am trying to put together some saved views to pull information about leads for certain product types and I do not want someone inadvertantly changing the product and pulling the wrong information. Yes, create a server view by going to settings --> customization --> "entity" and add/edit a view. By doing so only the admin can edit the view. Oshri Cohen Web: http://mymscrm3.blogspot.com/ ------=_NextPart_0001_79FE26C3 Content-Type: text/p...

help! money 2005
I last used Money 3 days ago. Today I open it up and one of the accounts is missing! There are 4 accounts at the same bank - one checking, one savings for each of 2 accounts. I open up Money this morning and my main checking account is simply gone. The savings account is there and the other account is fine. I tried "standard" repair which said it was successful, but account is still missing! Using a backup copy (not "backup") from 2 days ago and one from 3 days ago (different drive) all have file missing, which leads me to believe it's a Money problem. Any i...

Accidentally closed account
I'm using Money 2005 Standard. I'd been keeping track of my checking account by entering transactions manually for about a month. Recently I signed up for online access to my account and wanted to switch Money over to getting info online instead of me entering it in. When I did that it became a huge mess beyond the point where I could balance it. What I wanted was for Money to forget about all the transactions I'd entered in and take info ONLY from my bank's online info. I couldn't figure out how to do that, so I deleted the account thinking I could start again...

Thunking a 32-bit HANDLE to a 64-bit HANDLE
Currently I am converting a 32-bit WDM driver to a 64-bit KMDF driver that will continue to work with our 32-bit DLL and our customer's 32-bit applications. The sample code for thunking 32-bit items shows the following Buffer->Handle = (HANDLE)Buffer32->Handle; see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa489604.aspx Buffer32->Handle is declared as UINT32 Handle The driver compiler issues error number C4312 for this cast. The code that I have adopted (to get it to compile) is: handlerInputs.hEvent = (HANDLE) (ULONG_PTR) p_handlerInputs3...

Deactivating Accounts
When "Deactivating" an account (in CRM 3.0 - Outlook client) will I lose all History associated with that account? Secondly, where can I go to view all my "Deactivated" accounts? Hi Denise, No, incase of deactivating, you will not loose your related information. You related records will also get deactivated. But if you delete the account than your related records like activites, opportunities, etc will also get deleted. This behaviour may be changed from account customization. Click on accounts in main window of CRM and than choose your desired view "Deactiviat...

Excel save process in Windowws 98?
How can I speed up the Excel save process in Windowws 98? "rmpete" <rmpete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F830CB0D-E674-4F62-9C1F-F1643FAA8805@microsoft.com... > How can I speed up the Excel save process in Windowws 98? If you're experiencing problems, they're unlikely to be down to your OS version. The file(s) you're using may be bloated -- Debra Dalgleish has info on resetting used ranges @ http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused. HTH, Andy ...

"Balance account" used to automatically clear downloaded transactions but stopped doing so
This month when I went to balance my checking account, whose transactions are imported from a download file, the balance window came up with E marked for all downloaded transactions and I had to manually check them all cleared. Previously downloaded/imported transactions up to the closing statement were already cleared by Money. What do I have to change to return to that situation? Also...had an error in the statement opening balance, so restored my previous backup and the balance went o.k. However on line update is stuck in progress. There was a message about having to reset up online se...

saving data as access97 format
Is saving data as access97 format possible using Access2002? If yes, how is it done? Or how would i modify the application so it would read Access2002 file? Hello, Yes you can convert an Access97 to Access2002 Format : Go to Tools-> Database Utilities-> Convert Database-> To Access97 File Format Regards, "James" <jtnchang@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:050e01c34f5a$7d59bd70$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is saving data as access97 format possible using > Access2002? If yes, how is it done? Or how would i > modify the application so it would read Access200...

Daily Bank Sweep
New GP Client that is reconciling for the first time their operating account. We have entered the last reconciled balance and dates as of 12/31/08. Operating account gets swept every night and redeposited the next day. With each sweep interest is calculated. My question is how to handle the last sweep of the month, which is a sweep in transit. We have tried entering as a decrease adjustment (not posting to GL as it should not effect the GL balance). We have also tried entering as an adjustment to see what the effect is. We don't even come close to the bank ending balance. Pl...

Handling blank data points
I have a chart which is has "" in a formula to clear contents when not applicable to show error. This results in the chart treating the cell as 0 and therefore ugly result in data point. All other post responses to this type of question suggest using NA() and conditional formation to hide the error.. Unfortunately when this is used this screws up my SUM() and AVG() formulas.. Any other suggestions? Thanks Jo Hi Jo, I don't know if this is the best way but what I have done under similar circumstances is use the #N/A for the chart series data column and then I use a hel...

How do I create separate inboxes for each e-mail account?
I am trying to setup Outlook 2003, and would like to know how to create separate inboxes for each e-mail account. NuttyERnurse schrieb am 09.02.2005 17:13: > I am trying to setup Outlook 2003, and would like to know how to create > separate inboxes for each e-mail account. Create fo every email-account a subfolder in your inbox. Then create a rule and delay incoming mails in the particular folder. -- Viele Grüße Christian Göller NuttyERnurse <NuttyERnurse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to setup Outlook 2003, and would like to know how to ...

saved emails and a crash
I have lots of saved emails on Windows Live Mail. If my computer were to crash, where are my emails? Mail messages(and news) are stored on your hard drive in the Windows Live Mail Message store. The Messages store contains folders/subfolders usually similar named as the folders you see in WLM. Mail messages are stored as *.eml files and news messages as *.nws files. You can find the location of your messages store via - Tools/Options/Advanced/Maintenance/Store Folder -> The default location if not changed by the user is C:\Users\<your windows username>\AppData\Loc...

Saving Formatting in Pivot Tables
When I changed formatting in a pivot table, it returns to the default format when I make a change or close the file. Generally, in formats like font size, column width, etc. Is there a way to save/retain format changes in pivot tables? Thank you. right click in the table and go to the bottom to select "table options". It's there. >-----Original Message----- >When I changed formatting in a pivot table, it returns to >the default format when I make a change or close the >file. Generally, in formats like font size, column >width, etc. Is there a way to...