Ghost Investments

I've been trying to delete some old investments I sold some time ago so that
Money doesn't keep updating their prices.  It tells me I can't do that until
I've closed their positions, but they're already gone!  There is no account
in which these investments still appear in the portfolio manager, and
checking the investment transaction histories shows no small rounding errors.
 Anybody else have this problem?
0
Amy (241)
4/3/2006 7:06:02 PM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Amy wrote:

>I've been trying to delete some old investments I sold some time ago so that
>Money doesn't keep updating their prices.  It tells me I can't do that until
>I've closed their positions, but they're already gone!  There is no account
>in which these investments still appear in the portfolio manager, and
>checking the investment transaction histories shows no small rounding errors.
> Anybody else have this problem?

I don't know if somebody else has your problem. If you want help
with your problem, you might identify what program you are using.
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
4/3/2006 7:12:05 PM
To stop updating the prices - go to the investment in question and remove
the stock ticker symbol...

"Amy" <Amy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to delete some old investments I sold some time ago so
> that
> Money doesn't keep updating their prices.  It tells me I can't do that
> until
> I've closed their positions, but they're already gone!  There is no
> account
> in which these investments still appear in the portfolio manager, and
> checking the investment transaction histories shows no small rounding
> errors.
> Anybody else have this problem?

the ghost investments may be closed investment accounts. in the register
view select the drop down if you see a section for Closed Accounts, switch
to these accounts and verify they have a $0 ballance.

"Amy" <Amy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to delete some old investments I sold some time ago so
> that
> Money doesn't keep updating their prices.  It tells me I can't do that
> until
> I've closed their positions, but they're already gone!  There is no
> account
> in which these investments still appear in the portfolio manager, and
> checking the investment transaction histories shows no small rounding
> errors.
> Anybody else have this problem?

0
GregSalts (43)

Ghosted attachments with Windows 98
How do I change settings to be able to open attachments. The attachments appear to be ghosted. Hit forward, then open or save the attachment and close the message. It's a new security feature to prevent accidental opening of viruses, either by yourself or scripting. you can disable it in tools | options | security, but I think the extra effort to hit forward is safer and well worth the extra click. For more information, see http://www.omegageek.com/OESecurity.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, Visual Quick Start Guide - ...

Ghosts?
Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? It jumps up and down, but I see it with WinMail in 7. xp.basics is even worse. "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? Yes. 25 at the moment, with hacked WM in Win 7....

T-bills and investments #2
I am stuck trying to post purchases & sales of T-bills. The number just don't seem to work out right when I look at the transactions, and I cannot figure out how to get the interest and renewals to post. My problem is when I "buy" a t-bill for 990 ($1000 discounted), it values the T-bill at 9.90. That does not seem right to me, there must be something wrong. The investment is set up as a treasury account (not on-line), and I'm just trying to post my purchases. Can someone help me to figure out how to post these discounted bonds or tell me where I can find help ...

Tracking invested sums
Hello, WinXP, using Money 2007. Is there a way of entering an amount I transfered to my mutual fund without categorizing it as expense but as an investment amount? My goal is to keep track of the amount I've got to invest along the year. Thanks -Christian The typical way is to create an Investment Account and use the Special Transaction Buy Investment/CD. That "category" will ask about what Investment (and let you define the Investment--as, say, a Mutual Fund with symbol "UMBIX" or whatever) and what Investment Account holds the Investment (you created the ac...

Investment summary still shows closed accounts
I know this has been addressed before, and I think I've tried the fixes to no avail, but I'd like to try again. I've searched the database and can't find anything on this anymore. I have accounts that are closed and should have zero balances, but they have infinitessimal fractions of shares lurking and I can't seem to get rid of them with "Remove shares," etc. I'm using Money 2006, but I had this problem even with an older version. In what ways does "remove shares" fail? More details would help. -- Michael Gordon MVP "sumpteretc&quo...

"Ghost" folders that aren't really ghosts
Upgraded my laptop from Win2K to XP, Office 2K to 2003 - all at once. Previous Outlook install included two profiles - one for online, one for remote. Both profiles use the same 3 PST files. Problem is - in one profile I have three "ghost" folders that aren't normal ghosts. They show up between my primary storage file and my other .PSTs - with no names and no properties that I can see. When I try to open, show properties, delete (in short, do anything) with one of these folders, I get the message "The set of folders cannot be opened." (along with other messages such a...

Ghost typing
Windows XP running on an older Dell PC. Oddly, about the time Windows 7 was released (and corresponding with some Automatic Windows XP Updates) my computer started a frustrating behavior. When trying to type characters in the USER password screen, IE address bar, notepad, Word or any other character input field...I am able to type one or two letters then the machine self types WWWWWWWWWWWW endlessly. The W is disabled on the keyboard. The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Natural Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse. I also have a WACOM Intuous 3 graphics tablet that has worked fl...

M2004 SBE: Investment Gain way off
Hello, in my portfolio, the calculated gain for a particular stock is way off. I even have the market value and cost basis columns side by side and the difference between them isn't the value in the gain column! Note this only happens for one particular stock, the rest are calculated correctly. Something that might be relevant: The stock split a while back and all my historical prices were retroactively updated with the "s" indicator after the price. Thanks In microsoft.public.money, JR wrote: >Hello, in my portfolio, the calculated gain for a particular stock is wa...

Investment in Foreign Currency
Friends How do I set-up a CD, I have kept in a bank in Euro but the bank is based in US? If I set up a CD and specify "location" as US, It automatically takes as US Dollar. I couldn't find any way to modify that. I searched my Money 2004 Deluxe, but couldn't achieve it. I went through the Unofficial FAQ (so thorough and kindly put there by Dick), but couldn't find an answer. Thanks Jay ...

Return on investment Calc
I use Money 2004 and recently rebalanced my 401K portfolio. I moved about 10K from one investment to the other and noticed that my "ROI all dates" return decreased by 3% points, even though the current prices of the individual stocks had not moved since the transaction date. Also, my annualized return did not change, as you would expect. Does anyone know why this would happen OK, I'm confused and have a few more questions about the Portfolio View... 1) Shouldn't my cost basis + gain = the current market value of my holdings....it appears that my current market va...

Need to transfer investments between accounts.
I need to transfer a single investment out of a group of five under an account to another account. MS has a technical article (128135) on this, but it results in transferring all investments in the account to another account. Does anyone know how to just transfer a single investment between accounts? I must be missing something (maybe it's that you don't mention the version of Money in question--this is ALWAYS handy information in a posting) but this is REALLY SIMPLE in M04. Go to the FROM Investment Account. Enter a transaction for the Investment, then Activity is Transfer Out...

Trying to calculate interest on an investment
I would like to create two amoritization schedules based on a money market account that starts with $60,000 that I take $167 out of each month for the next 30 years. The first amoritzation schedule is based on account that pays (for example) 2% annual interest, compounded monthly. The second amoritization schedule is based on an account that pays (for example) 0.24% interest each month. TIA, Robert ...

How to correct wrong investment type in Money2004
In my hast I incorrectly labeled one of my mutual funds as a money market investment type. How can I correct this fund back to a mutual fund type? "Details" of the fund shows the investment type as Money Market but offers no apparent way to change it. Thanks. Ed See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q81. "Ed Haynes" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6c5f01c3e614$8593b490$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > In my hast I incorrectly labeled one of my mutual funds > as a money market investment type. How can I correct > this fund back to a mut...

Ghost brackets
Suddenly, Word is putting brackets around any text that I select--and leaving them. These do not print, but it's confusing to have these nonprinting brackets thrown in--sometimes hard to tell them from real brackets I've inserted. In addition, I often send documents electronically, and then people are facing this doc with these ghost brackets (which look identical to real brackets on the screen). How can I stop Word from doing this? jpmcewan, Seems like you are seeing bookmarks, normally you do not see them unless you go to Tools - Options - View - under view section unc...

Incorrect Price shown on Investment Summary
I have Microsoft Money Deluxe 2007. I have a mutual fund (Goldman Sachs Tollkeeper B), symbol GITBX, which shows an incorrect price on my Investment Summary of my Home Page. The last price ALWAYS shows $13.94. If I click that investment and then click "analysis", it shows (incorrectly) latest price $13.94, 52-week high $9.13, and 52-week low $6.87. If I bring up the Portfolio Manager, the correct current price for GITBX ($8.67) is displayed. So why is the price displayed incorrectly on my Investment Summary? All other prices in my portfolio display correctly. Thanks for...

Ghost Recipient
I have a user name Jonh Doe in my contact list, and when I type in John in the "To" box two options for John Doe come up, one with the correct address and one wiht the incorrect address. I have searched my contact list for this second conact, but can't find it. Where would Outlook be finding this contact? If you right click it, and select find contact, Outlook can't, but it does give you the option to add it. I thought Outlook only searched designated contact info for address, where is this Ghost coming from? Autoresolve doesn't do lookups to any contacts l...

Money 2006 no account summary for investment accounts
I recently had to wipe and restore my whole hard drive. My backup file for Money 2006 restored just fine but I have no account summary for any of my investment accounts. I can enter new transactions without a problem, and of all my historical transactions are present. When I click on 'Account Summary,' however, I just get a blank screen under the account title heading. Any ideas? Should I un-install and re-install Money? In microsoft.public.money, globetrotter wrote: >I recently had to wipe and restore my whole hard drive. My backup file for >Money 2006 restored jus...

ghost items
When we setup RMS we used a suppliers disk to import all their items. Recently, I used a query to delete all items that were never sold or recieved, so that I would have a more manageable item list, as there were about 16000 items that we were never going to use. Now I'm running into some instances where an ILC can't be used on a new item because the system says it's already being used. When I try to pull up that item in the Item list nothings there. However, if I create a PO and enter the ILC in quickscan, it will put in an item that has no info at all, no description, or...

Invest smart 02-02-08
How much profit can you make with one dollar? Check out this website www.forbuck.com Without any obligation, registering or other ties make cash! ...

Moving investments from an old Money file to a new one
I'm trying to create a new clean Money file because I'm getting the error message "A File needed to run the Planner is either missing or corrupted. To resolve this problem, reinstall Money and then reopen your Money file" Reinstalling doesn't help - I think Money has a basic flaw when moving from one country to another (I moved from the UK to the US) and you change the Base currency used. So - I thought... I can easily update my bank account details again, and I haven't used the advanced planning features in ages. So all I need to really transfer over are my investme...

Closed Investment Problem
One of my closed investments still appeats on my Money Home Page Investment Summary. All the other investments appearing in the summary are open, except this one. I checked the investment transactions for this investment and they are all correct, resulting in a zero share balance. Help!! How can I get rid of this appearing in the investment summary without deleting all the investment's data? Thanks! http://www.umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=98 might give you a solution to this. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default...

Investment account transfert
Hi all I try out the new money 2008 (v17 Plus Deluxe) I create investment group account with multiple Mutual fund. I would like to register a transfert between one mutual fund to another one. When i register activities i have transfert in/out. But when doing so, i reveive a message saying that i cannot do this from the same investement group. How can i transfert amount OR quantity from one mutual fund to anoter. If possible i would like to have the transaction written in both mutual fund (similar behavior has when i transfert from check to credit card) "Luc" <Luc@discus...

Ghost accounts won't stay deleted!!!
Hi, I have an MBNA CC, and I've been unsuccesful in connecting to their server. In the process, I have tried twice to delete the account and recreate it. Now each time I try to update my accounts, the deleted accounts come back as "MBNA CC #1" and "MBNA CC #2". Does anyone know what's causing this and how I can resolve it? Thanks, JD JD, I'm also having problems downloading data for my MBNA CC. I am receiving "your last call encountered an error" message. I'm also having problems with Tropical Finacial Credit Union. One night I could...

Rental Property as an Investment
Does anyone know how to create an investment account for a rental property? ...

Ghost spreadsheet?
Today I am suddenly experiencing a weird problem: I cannot see some of the spreadsheets we have saved both on the desktop and on the server. The files are listed, I can click on them, Excel opens but the spreadsheet does not appear, I only see the light blue background; note that on two fields in the toolbar, right below the Ribbon, I see the cell number in the first and the value on the second; changing the cell number changes also the value on the second field therefore the spreadsheet is there, it is just not visible. I tried to reboot both the desktop and the server but no luck. We...