File lockout update

Redmond, July 28, 2004, 23:15 PDT

Here is the current status on the lockout issue.

We are working to restore the original locks on these files. (See my earlier
posting for a more detailed description.) It is our expectation that, when
fixed, this will not require any downloads (or uploads), but the solution
may require a connection to our web site. This was not caused by any
download of Money software, and we don't think that a download will be
necessary to fix it.

We are not sure whether every user will be fixed automatically, or if some
manual steps will need to be done. If there are manual steps, we will
publish them through many outlets, including this forum.

We will not compromise your privacy in our solution. Your files will only be
able to be opened with your own login information.

Many of you have offered to help us when we have a solution ready. Thanks.
If you are interested, drop a note to mnyngsup@microsoft.com; we'll use your
email address to contact you if necessary.

We don't have a firm ETA on the solution; we are working to get it done as
soon as possible without comprising your privacy. In the meantime, some
folks should be able to use our web services (or the web services of your
bank) to get some immediate work (like bill pay) done. As some other folks
on this forum have noted, reverting to backups made before Monday should
work as well.

-Russ Paul-Jones
MSN Money

0
russpj (36)
7/29/2004 6:21:31 AM
money 28651 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Thank you again for the status update.

If you already know what that manual steps would be, can
you please post them?  I would rather go ahead and give
that a try instead of waiting a few extra days for an
automated solution.

We have all already tried the manual steps (regsvr32,
msmoney -s, reinstalling, etc.) to get it fixed.  More
manual steps to the fix won't be a problem.

0
anonymous (74725)
7/29/2004 11:27:16 AM
Russ,

We really appreciate any information you provide. Can you
provide any insight on the estmated completion. <1hr,
<12hr, <24hr,<3 MORE days, <1 weeks, months, years????

Some of us heavy users, and reasonably computer competant
are willing to go through extensive manual recovery
actions to get access to our data. I do not need a single
click solution. What is the possibility of getting a
manual solution earlier than an automated solution?
PLEASE!!

0
anonymous (74725)
7/29/2004 11:54:46 AM
It is frightening that something done on the servers in
REDMOND (or wherever) can affect my LOCAL login, even if I
choose to skip the sign-in.  I hope everyone is as worried
about this as me.  I can't even open my recent backup!
I'll have to restore and roll back to like October 2003 if
they don't fix the problem!
0
anonymous (74725)
7/29/2004 1:14:37 PM
V simple answer if you don't need the on-line services then don't use
Passport.

I never have and am still able to download share prices and files from my
Bank.

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For UK tips & fixes see
For wishes or suggestions see
or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback

"trouinky" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It is frightening that something done on the servers in
> REDMOND (or wherever) can affect my LOCAL login, even if I
> choose to skip the sign-in.  I hope everyone is as worried
> about this as me.  I can't even open my recent backup!
> I'll have to restore and roll back to like October 2003 if
> they don't fix the problem!

0
SPAM5796 (251)
7/29/2004 1:40:50 PM

From the start, Money seems to almost (and I said almost)
force you to use Passport.  I gave in rather than try to
fight it.

When this comes back to life, could you please tell us
exactly what you do to avoid the Passport login?  Do you
start the program with "msmoney -s"?

Thanks,

Steve Cosby
(wondering how much money I'll make off the class action
lawsuit that I am sure is pending out there somewhere...)
0
anonymous (74725)
7/29/2004 1:55:48 PM
If you want to remove a passport from a file, you'll need to login with that
passport, and then disable it through the File-> menu.

--
Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money

or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially
if it's a UK specific wish.

"Stephen Cosby" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

glyn1 (1533)
7/29/2004 2:02:23 PM
Thanks for the update.

One thing I would like to suggest (if it hasn't been done
since yesterday evening when I was looking for it) is to
put an article in the Knowledge Base as soon as possible.

The first thing I did when I encountered the error was to
search the Knowledge Base, but it returned no results.  (I
wasn't even aware of this forum; I just happened to
stumble upon it, and if I hadn't would probably still not
know there was a known problem and solution in the works).

I would think that many people would use the Knowledge
Base as their primary resource, and getting an article
there ASAP (even if it only has an update on the problem)
would get the word out to a lot of users.
Thanks.

0
anonymous (74725)
7/29/2004 3:45:52 PM
Redmond, July 29, 2004, 08:15

Any manual process would have to be in addition to work we did on the
servers. We are pretty sure that there is nothing that could be done locally
only to unlock the files.

We're exploring two solutions right now, one that would fix everbody
affected without any other steps, and another that would require something
like signing in on a web page. We'd deploy the second if the first won't
work or if it could be deployed earlier than the first solution.

There are some things we aren't doing right now, in order to concentrate on
finding the solution. I'm posting updates as often as possible, but I can't
answer every question or even post frequent update messages without new
news. We aren't determining a particular ETA, just working to make it as
soon as possible. We're not exploring why old files (or especially copies of
old files that were never touched this week) aren't working now, though we'd
expect that they would.

Please know that this is the first priority of everybody on the Money team.
We are working to get a secure solution out as quickly as possible.

-Russ Paul-Jones
MSN Money

"Grrrr!" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you again for the status update.
>
> If you already know what that manual steps would be, can
> you please post them?  I would rather go ahead and give
> that a try instead of waiting a few extra days for an
> automated solution.
>
> We have all already tried the manual steps (regsvr32,
> msmoney -s, reinstalling, etc.) to get it fixed.  More
> manual steps to the fix won't be a problem.

0
russpj (36)
7/29/2004 3:47:35 PM
Thank you - the efforts of the Money team to solve this
are most certainly appreciated.

0
anonymous (74725)
7/29/2004 3:52:18 PM
Russ,

Thank you for the update!  I certiainly appreciate the
soon as possible frame of mind.

Personally, I've got my fingers crossed for Friday or
Saturday!

<snipped>
0
anonymous (74725)
7/29/2004 6:31:23 PM
Redmond, July 19, 2004, 13:30 PDT

We are working to deploy a solution that will involve logging into a Web
page. As soon as it is ready, I will post the process here.

I will have more status later this afternoon.

-Russ Paul-Jones
MSN Money

"Russ Paul-Jones" <russpj@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Redmond, July 29, 2004, 08:15
>
> Any manual process would have to be in addition to work we did on the
> servers. We are pretty sure that there is nothing that could be done
locally
> only to unlock the files.
>
> We're exploring two solutions right now, one that would fix everbody
> affected without any other steps, and another that would require something
> like signing in on a web page. We'd deploy the second if the first won't
> work or if it could be deployed earlier than the first solution.
>
> There are some things we aren't doing right now, in order to concentrate
on
> finding the solution. I'm posting updates as often as possible, but I
can't
> answer every question or even post frequent update messages without new
> news. We aren't determining a particular ETA, just working to make it as
> soon as possible. We're not exploring why old files (or especially copies
of
> old files that were never touched this week) aren't working now, though
we'd
> expect that they would.
>
> Please know that this is the first priority of everybody on the Money
team.
> We are working to get a secure solution out as quickly as possible.
>
> -Russ Paul-Jones
> MSN Money
>
> "Grrrr!" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you again for the status update.
> >
> > If you already know what that manual steps would be, can
> > you please post them?  I would rather go ahead and give
> > that a try instead of waiting a few extra days for an
> > automated solution.
> >
> > We have all already tried the manual steps (regsvr32,
> > msmoney -s, reinstalling, etc.) to get it fixed.  More
> > manual steps to the fix won't be a problem.

0
russpj (36)
7/29/2004 8:28:52 PM
Completely agree!

I bet 99% of the affected folks are frantically changing passwords,
and restoring backups as we speak.

I am very grateful for the updates you are providing, but they really
were slow in coming and this audience is very limiited.

Thanks for your efforts,

Jim

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:45:52 -0700, "locked_out"

>Thanks for the update.
>
>One thing I would like to suggest (if it hasn't been done
>since yesterday evening when I was looking for it) is to
>put an article in the Knowledge Base as soon as possible.

snip...
0
askme1 (5)
7/30/2004 12:47:03 AM
Thanks Russ.  That is fantastic news! :)

<snipped>
0
anonymous (74725)
7/30/2004 1:34:44 AM
Russ:
Most of us who have been around for a while realize
that 'stuff' happens, especially with software.  The
proof of the 'stuff' of those involved is usually found
in their response to a critical event.  History teaches
us that communication in these types of events is
critical.  Delay or failure to deliver information
consistently -- even if it is bad information -- is
generally worse than the event itself.  Now, it is
unfortunate enough that some apparently negligent acts
took place to cause this snafu in the first place, but to
compound the problem by providing only
sporadic "updates", and then not adhering to your self-
imposed schedule of continued news ("I will have more
status later this afternoon") is really the proverbial
frosting on the cake.  I would urge that you provide
updates through this forum at least every 4 hours until
this dilemma is rectified.  Even if there is nothing new!
Keep in touch with us; don't allow us to guess; and most
of all, don't blow smoke up our "noses"!! In short, I
want Microsoft to BE HONEST WITH AND RESPONSIVE TO US!!!

0
anonymous (74725)

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Windows Update Failures
Running Windows XP Pro, SP3 and Office 2007 Ultimate. I have five updates that will not install. I am getting three different error codes. I have searched the web and this message board for a solution to no avail. I have tried installing each one individually, in groups (e.g. Office 2007 group and Windows XP group), as well as trying to install all five together. Regardless, I always get the same error codes on each of these. Below are the updates and the error codes received for each one. Appreciate any help to get over this issue. Windows XP - Microsoft .NET Framewo...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

Customer ClassID update
In GP10, when a user changes a ClassID on the Customer Card, they should be prompted with a warning about "updating this customer with information...". I have one user that does not get this warning. When logged in as SA, I get this warning. I have looked for a setting in this users security roles & tasks and other various locations but found nothing. Thanks- Joe Erickson MCP Apparently no one gets is, unless there are customers with old settings it will ask you to roll down changes when you change the customer class and if you're updating a customer to a different cl...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

12.0.1 Update
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: intel Hi there I am trying to install the 12.0.1 update and i get this message: "you cannot install Microsoft Office for 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 on this volume" Any ideas why this is happening? "danson@officeformac.com" wrote: > I am trying to install the 12.0.1 update and i get this message: > > "you cannot install Microsoft Office for 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 on this volume" > > Any ideas why this is happening? See if Spotlight can find the "Setup Assistant". Next try to ap...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

File in Use
I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2 When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop up: File in Use money.xls is locked for editing by Bill Chatfield there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box read only notify cancel I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only' or 'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent reason I get the above message again. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this ...

Excel file saves as a temp file with numeric file name
I have a bug with an excel worksheet. When i save the file it saves it not as my filename, but as a temp file with a name like D7d98300 and the file icon is of the MS DOS variety. When i click on the file it opens up in excel. However when i save it again it saves as a temp file with a different numerical file name. Could someone please explain what the bug is? Thanks in anticipation. Michael --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ When you save a file, excel will save it as a temporary file (8 characters, no extension). Then if that save is successful, excel will delete the...

hidden tif files
I activated MDI for windows 7 and can now open mdi files; however, I can't see their icons, and I can't see .tif icons. I can only tell the files are there when I print a new .tif file and the existing file list appears during the 'save as' step. How do I see the icons/files? I have already done the "show hidden files" step. Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types." -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

restrict a user from opening a dbf file from excel?
how can i restrict a user from opening a dbf file from excel? and how can i restrict him from saving an excel file as DBF? thanks ...

Problems importing pst file...
One of the users in our office tried to open Outlook & recieved an error message that indicated that the pst was gone or corrupt. After running the Inbox repair tool to no avail, as well as picking up a copy of their pst from yesterday's backup, I'm still unable to do anything with it! When trying to import it, I get the message "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" & after hitting ok, I get a message that the file isn't a personal folders file! I have read several long-winded posts in other forums, which basically have given me no...