Error when trying to select "Remove all Bills Data"

I decided I would tackle removing all of my 60+
bills/deposits/transfers to speed up M07 since I have such slow
performance. (Slow performance for me is: I click on Bill Summary after
opening Money and have to wait a full minute of white screen before
page appears. If I edit a bill or transaction in Bill Summary it is
taking 11-12 seconds to come back to the Bills Summary screen after I
click OK.)

So...I printed out the schedule of my Bills/Deposits/splits and then
proceded to click on Remove Bills Data. After about 30 seconds I got an
error message "There has been an error reading or writing the file
(lists the file name)." If I click Send Report, there is no known issue
at this time. If you click OK, then you are prompted to open an
exisiting money file.

I tried the procedure on several different files/backups and found the
same error message every time.  I even reinstalled M07 with no
solution. Any idea on how to get this feature to work? BTW... The Quick
and Std. file repair work just fine.

Anna

0
rhodesbiz (125)
7/24/2006 12:17:37 AM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Anna wrote:

>I decided I would tackle removing all of my 60+
>bills/deposits/transfers to speed up M07 since I have such slow
>performance. (Slow performance for me is: I click on Bill Summary after
>opening Money and have to wait a full minute of white screen before
>page appears. If I edit a bill or transaction in Bill Summary it is
>taking 11-12 seconds to come back to the Bills Summary screen after I
>click OK.)
>
>So...I printed out the schedule of my Bills/Deposits/splits and then
>proceded to click on Remove Bills Data. After about 30 seconds I got an
>error message "There has been an error reading or writing the file
>(lists the file name)." If I click Send Report, there is no known issue
>at this time. If you click OK, then you are prompted to open an
>exisiting money file.
>
>I tried the procedure on several different files/backups and found the
>same error message every time.  I even reinstalled M07 with no
>solution. Any idea on how to get this feature to work? BTW... The Quick
>and Std. file repair work just fine.

I assume that the file name was your .mny file.  I don't know if
these would help, and they seem like long shots.

Did you try standard repair level 1?

You might try removing everything from your home page.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/24/2006 4:45:35 PM
Yes, I have tried the Quick File Repair and the Std. File Repair.

I tried your suggestion to remove everything from my Home Page, but I
am still receiving the same error message when I try to Remove the
Bills data. Thanks for the idea...I wish it had worked.

Last night I even tried making an extra copy of my file and I MANUALLY
deleted everything from Bills Summary. Then I went to Cash Flow and
still had 4 payments there, so I edited them to a previous date and
they disappeared. I then checked the Advanced Budget and everything was
at $0...no bills there.  So then I tried again to Remove Bills Data and
I STILL received the errror message.

My next step tonight was to remove and reinstall M07, but I just
created a New TEST File and I was able to use the Remove Bills Data on
it. So I don't think removing and reinstalling Money will make a
difference.

I'm left wondering WHY it can't read or write my mny file?????

Still looking for ideas.

Anna

Cal Learner-- MVP wrote:
> In microsoft.public.money, Anna wrote:
>
> >I decided I would tackle removing all of my 60+
> >bills/deposits/transfers to speed up M07 since I have such slow
> >performance. (Slow performance for me is: I click on Bill Summary after
> >opening Money and have to wait a full minute of white screen before
> >page appears. If I edit a bill or transaction in Bill Summary it is
> >taking 11-12 seconds to come back to the Bills Summary screen after I
> >click OK.)
> >
> >So...I printed out the schedule of my Bills/Deposits/splits and then
> >proceded to click on Remove Bills Data. After about 30 seconds I got an
> >error message "There has been an error reading or writing the file
> >(lists the file name)." If I click Send Report, there is no known issue
> >at this time. If you click OK, then you are prompted to open an
> >exisiting money file.
> >
> >I tried the procedure on several different files/backups and found the
> >same error message every time.  I even reinstalled M07 with no
> >solution. Any idea on how to get this feature to work? BTW... The Quick
> >and Std. file repair work just fine.
>
> I assume that the file name was your .mny file.  I don't know if
> these would help, and they seem like long shots.
>
> Did you try standard repair level 1?
>
> You might try removing everything from your home page.

0
rhodesbiz (125)
7/25/2006 3:58:54 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Anna wrote:

>Yes, I have tried the Quick File Repair and the Std. File Repair.

Level 1 and level 2?

>I tried your suggestion to remove everything from my Home Page, but I
>am still receiving the same error message when I try to Remove the
>Bills data. Thanks for the idea...I wish it had worked.
>
>Last night I even tried making an extra copy of my file and I MANUALLY
>deleted everything from Bills Summary. Then I went to Cash Flow and
>still had 4 payments there, so I edited them to a previous date and
>they disappeared. I then checked the Advanced Budget and everything was
>at $0...no bills there.  So then I tried again to Remove Bills Data and
>I STILL received the errror message.
>
>My next step tonight was to remove and reinstall M07, but I just
>created a New TEST File and I was able to use the Remove Bills Data on
>it. So I don't think removing and reinstalling Money will make a
>difference.
>
>I'm left wondering WHY it can't read or write my mny file?????
>
>Still looking for ideas.
>
>Anna
>

>Cal Learner-- MVP wrote:
>> In microsoft.public.money, Anna wrote:
>>
>> >I decided I would tackle removing all of my 60+
>> >bills/deposits/transfers to speed up M07 since I have such slow
>> >performance. (Slow performance for me is: I click on Bill Summary after
>> >opening Money and have to wait a full minute of white screen before
>> >page appears. If I edit a bill or transaction in Bill Summary it is
>> >taking 11-12 seconds to come back to the Bills Summary screen after I
>> >click OK.)
>> >
>> >So...I printed out the schedule of my Bills/Deposits/splits and then
>> >proceded to click on Remove Bills Data. After about 30 seconds I got an
>> >error message "There has been an error reading or writing the file
>> >(lists the file name)." If I click Send Report, there is no known issue
>> >at this time. If you click OK, then you are prompted to open an
>> >exisiting money file.
>> >
>> >I tried the procedure on several different files/backups and found the
>> >same error message every time.  I even reinstalled M07 with no
>> >solution. Any idea on how to get this feature to work? BTW... The Quick
>> >and Std. file repair work just fine.
>>
>> I assume that the file name was your .mny file.  I don't know if
>> these would help, and they seem like long shots.
>>
>> Did you try standard repair level 1?
>>
>> You might try removing everything from your home page.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/25/2006 4:10:47 AM
Yes.. I tried both and the log reported No broken files each time.

Cal Learner-- MVP wrote:
> In microsoft.public.money, Anna wrote:
>
> >Yes, I have tried the Quick File Repair and the Std. File Repair.
>
> Level 1 and level 2?
>

> >I tried your suggestion to remove everything from my Home Page, but I
> >am still receiving the same error message when I try to Remove the
> >Bills data. Thanks for the idea...I wish it had worked.
> >
> >Last night I even tried making an extra copy of my file and I MANUALLY
> >deleted everything from Bills Summary. Then I went to Cash Flow and
> >still had 4 payments there, so I edited them to a previous date and
> >they disappeared. I then checked the Advanced Budget and everything was
> >at $0...no bills there.  So then I tried again to Remove Bills Data and
> >I STILL received the errror message.
> >
> >My next step tonight was to remove and reinstall M07, but I just
> >created a New TEST File and I was able to use the Remove Bills Data on
> >it. So I don't think removing and reinstalling Money will make a
> >difference.
> >
> >I'm left wondering WHY it can't read or write my mny file?????
> >
> >Still looking for ideas.
> >
> >Anna
> >

> >Cal Learner-- MVP wrote:

> >> I assume that the file name was your .mny file.  I don't know if
> >> these would help, and they seem like long shots.
> >>
> >> Did you try standard repair level 1?
> >>
> >> You might try removing everything from your home page.

0
rhodesbiz (125)
7/25/2006 4:34:38 AM
Hi Anna,

You write:
>(Slow performance for me is: I click on Bill Summary after
> opening Money and have to wait a full minute of white screen before
> page appears.

After Money opens up, and after the initial screen is displayed, it spends a
couple of minutes churning away CPU time before settling down (you can see
this with the task manager).  During that churning time, if someone clicks
on Bill Summary (or most other activities), it will take a long time to
display.  Thereafter, however, it should display within a couple of seconds.
If you wait after starting up, it should be much faster also.

-- John

"Anna" <rhodesbiz@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I decided I would tackle removing all of my 60+
> bills/deposits/transfers to speed up M07 since I have such slow
> performance. (Slow performance for me is: I click on Bill Summary after
> opening Money and have to wait a full minute of white screen before
> page appears. If I edit a bill or transaction in Bill Summary it is
> taking 11-12 seconds to come back to the Bills Summary screen after I
> click OK.)
>
> So...I printed out the schedule of my Bills/Deposits/splits and then
> proceded to click on Remove Bills Data. After about 30 seconds I got an
> error message "There has been an error reading or writing the file
> (lists the file name)." If I click Send Report, there is no known issue
> at this time. If you click OK, then you are prompted to open an
> exisiting money file.
>
> I tried the procedure on several different files/backups and found the
> same error message every time.  I even reinstalled M07 with no
> solution. Any idea on how to get this feature to work? BTW... The Quick
> and Std. file repair work just fine.
>
> Anna

0
John1270 (149)
7/26/2006 4:36:07 AM
Yes, after Money settles down, it is not quit that slow. However,
ANYTIME I click on Bill Summary (from Account List, Cash Flow, or after
editing a transfer), it takes at least 12 seconds for the page to show
up. That still seems a bit slow to me.

I was able to find a backup in March that I was able to Remove the
Bills Data from and the Bill Summary page is much quicker and
responsive. It will probably take me several days to add 4 months of
data back in AND all the Bills. I hardly use any cash any more, so just
in one account I had 564 transactions to edit after the download. I'm
anxious to see how much difference it will make in overall time going
from page to page when I am finished.

And BTW... MS Tech support's answer to the Remove Bills Data Error.....
Export/Import all files into a NEW FILE.  Since I have over 60 accounts
and years of data, I don't think I want to tackle that chore.
Besides.... I thought that was the POINT to the Remove All Bills
Data.... to keep one from HAVING to go through that laborious process.

JohnA wrote:
> Hi Anna,
>
> You write:
> >(Slow performance for me is: I click on Bill Summary after
> > opening Money and have to wait a full minute of white screen before
> > page appears.
>
> After Money opens up, and after the initial screen is displayed, it spends a
> couple of minutes churning away CPU time before settling down (you can see
> this with the task manager).  During that churning time, if someone clicks
> on Bill Summary (or most other activities), it will take a long time to
> display.  Thereafter, however, it should display within a couple of seconds.
> If you wait after starting up, it should be much faster also.
>
> -- John
>
> "Anna" <rhodesbiz@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >I decided I would tackle removing all of my 60+
> > bills/deposits/transfers to speed up M07 since I have such slow
> > performance. (Slow performance for me is: I click on Bill Summary after
> > opening Money and have to wait a full minute of white screen before
> > page appears. If I edit a bill or transaction in Bill Summary it is
> > taking 11-12 seconds to come back to the Bills Summary screen after I
> > click OK.)
> >
> > So...I printed out the schedule of my Bills/Deposits/splits and then
> > proceded to click on Remove Bills Data. After about 30 seconds I got an
> > error message "There has been an error reading or writing the file
> > (lists the file name)." If I click Send Report, there is no known issue
> > at this time. If you click OK, then you are prompted to open an
> > exisiting money file.
> >
> > I tried the procedure on several different files/backups and found the
> > same error message every time.  I even reinstalled M07 with no
> > solution. Any idea on how to get this feature to work? BTW... The Quick
> > and Std. file repair work just fine.
> >
> > Anna

0
rhodesbiz (125)
7/26/2006 10:41:18 AM
Did you try invoking Money from the command line with the "-s" option (e.g.
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2007\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe" -s"?  This
used to be a viable alternative and worked differently than the other
repairs.

> Yes, I have tried the Quick File Repair and the Std. File Repair.
>
> I tried your suggestion to remove everything from my Home Page, but I
> am still receiving the same error message when I try to Remove the
> Bills data. Thanks for the idea...I wish it had worked.
>
> Last night I even tried making an extra copy of my file and I MANUALLY
> deleted everything from Bills Summary. Then I went to Cash Flow and
> still had 4 payments there, so I edited them to a previous date and
> they disappeared. I then checked the Advanced Budget and everything was
> at $0...no bills there.  So then I tried again to Remove Bills Data and
> I STILL received the errror message.
>
> My next step tonight was to remove and reinstall M07, but I just
> created a New TEST File and I was able to use the Remove Bills Data on
> it. So I don't think removing and reinstalling Money will make a
> difference.
>
> I'm left wondering WHY it can't read or write my mny file?????
>
> Still looking for ideas.
>
> Anna
>

> Cal Learner-- MVP wrote:
>> In microsoft.public.money, Anna wrote:
>>
>> >I decided I would tackle removing all of my 60+
>> >bills/deposits/transfers to speed up M07 since I have such slow
>> >performance. (Slow performance for me is: I click on Bill Summary after
>> >opening Money and have to wait a full minute of white screen before
>> >page appears. If I edit a bill or transaction in Bill Summary it is
>> >taking 11-12 seconds to come back to the Bills Summary screen after I
>> >click OK.)
>> >
>> >So...I printed out the schedule of my Bills/Deposits/splits and then
>> >proceded to click on Remove Bills Data. After about 30 seconds I got an
>> >error message "There has been an error reading or writing the file
>> >(lists the file name)." If I click Send Report, there is no known issue
>> >at this time. If you click OK, then you are prompted to open an
>> >exisiting money file.
>> >
>> >I tried the procedure on several different files/backups and found the
>> >same error message every time.  I even reinstalled M07 with no
>> >solution. Any idea on how to get this feature to work? BTW... The Quick
>> >and Std. file repair work just fine.
>>
>> I assume that the file name was your .mny file.  I don't know if
>> these would help, and they seem like long shots.
>>
>> Did you try standard repair level 1?
>>
>> You might try removing everything from your home page.

0
John1270 (149)
7/26/2006 1:13:43 PM
Yes, I tried that and I tried the salv.exe file, but I still am
receiving the error.

In one of the previous Money version (01,02..) I remember that there
was a "Deep" Level of Repair, but I haven't seen that available in the
past couple of years.

JohnA wrote:
> Did you try invoking Money from the command line with the "-s" option (e.g.
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2007\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe" -s"?  This
> used to be a viable alternative and worked differently than the other
> repairs.
>
> "Anna" <rhodesbiz@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Yes, I have tried the Quick File Repair and the Std. File Repair.
> >
> > I tried your suggestion to remove everything from my Home Page, but I
> > am still receiving the same error message when I try to Remove the
> > Bills data. Thanks for the idea...I wish it had worked.
> >
> > Last night I even tried making an extra copy of my file and I MANUALLY
> > deleted everything from Bills Summary. Then I went to Cash Flow and
> > still had 4 payments there, so I edited them to a previous date and
> > they disappeared. I then checked the Advanced Budget and everything was
> > at $0...no bills there.  So then I tried again to Remove Bills Data and
> > I STILL received the errror message.
> >
> > My next step tonight was to remove and reinstall M07, but I just
> > created a New TEST File and I was able to use the Remove Bills Data on
> > it. So I don't think removing and reinstalling Money will make a
> > difference.
> >
> > I'm left wondering WHY it can't read or write my mny file?????
> >
> > Still looking for ideas.
> >
> > Anna
> >

> > Cal Learner-- MVP wrote:

> >> I assume that the file name was your .mny file.  I don't know if
> >> these would help, and they seem like long shots.
> >>
> >> Did you try standard repair level 1?
> >>
> >> You might try removing everything from your home page.

0
rhodesbiz (125)
7/26/2006 11:58:30 PM
Just where in M07 does one find a "Remove all Bills Data" option. Is there a
feature that does this or do you remove each & every bill manually?

In microsoft.public.money, L'l John wrote:

>Just where in M07 does one find a "Remove all Bills Data" option. Is there a
>feature that does this or do you remove each & every bill manually?

File->RepairMoneyFile->....

Note the info that it give when you click thru. Read, record. Then
click Cancel. Gather the info. Make your extra backup, and then
proceed.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)