error when migrating from 2004 to 2005

We have encountered some problem while migrating from 2004 to 2005, when
upgrading the database, it gives us an error message about read-only files.
We have searched the knowledge base and found that microsoft is aware of this
problem and it is caused by the corruption within the database.  We followed
the instruction on the microsoft website, however, when using the repair
facility within the money program, the corruption is said to be fixed, but in
2005 it still does not upgrade and still have the readonly error message.
Then we tried to use the tool on the Money disk (which is supposed to be more
powerful), however, this tool clearly says that we are having an uncorrupted
database.  Could anyone give us a solution on this.  Much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
0
Ronald (20)
10/14/2004 5:15:02 AM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

Can you point to the articles you have tried and  the exact errors you are
getting?

--
Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money
http://money.mvps.org

or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially
if it's a UK specific wish.

"Ronald" <Ronald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have encountered some problem while migrating from 2004 to 2005, when
> upgrading the database, it gives us an error message about read-only
> files.
> We have searched the knowledge base and found that microsoft is aware of
> this
> problem and it is caused by the corruption within the database.  We
> followed
> the instruction on the microsoft website, however, when using the repair
> facility within the money program, the corruption is said to be fixed, but
> in
> 2005 it still does not upgrade and still have the readonly error message.
> Then we tried to use the tool on the Money disk (which is supposed to be
> more
> powerful), however, this tool clearly says that we are having an
> uncorrupted
> database.  Could anyone give us a solution on this.  Much appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.

0
glyn1 (1534)
10/17/2004 12:50:20 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply, here is the link for the actual article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320193 and the error
is exactly what is shown in that article.

regards,
ronald

"Glyn Simpson, MVP" wrote:

> Can you point to the articles you have tried and  the exact errors you are
> getting?
>
> --
> Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money
> http://money.mvps.org
>
> Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny
> for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or
> suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp
> or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially
> if it's a UK specific wish.
>
> I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money
>
> "Ronald" <Ronald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have encountered some problem while migrating from 2004 to 2005, when
> > upgrading the database, it gives us an error message about read-only
> > files.
> > We have searched the knowledge base and found that microsoft is aware of
> > this
> > problem and it is caused by the corruption within the database.  We
> > followed
> > the instruction on the microsoft website, however, when using the repair
> > facility within the money program, the corruption is said to be fixed, but
> > in
> > 2005 it still does not upgrade and still have the readonly error message.
> > Then we tried to use the tool on the Money disk (which is supposed to be
> > more
> > powerful), however, this tool clearly says that we are having an
> > uncorrupted
> > database.  Could anyone give us a solution on this.  Much appreciated.
> > Thanks in advance.

0
Ronald (20)
10/18/2004 4:45:04 AM
An alternative would be to find the 2004 file and try to double-click it,
this would ensure Money is finding the correct one (i suspect it is though).
Also, try creating a copy of the 2004 file (check the read only attribute
isn't set) and upgrade that one.

On some older versions, there were problems with conversion if there was no
TEMP variable set (found in control panel->system->advanced->environment
variables) and/or using a limited user account, so have a look to see
whether these are not helping you.

--

> Hi, thanks for the reply, here is the link for the actual article
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320193 and the
error
> is exactly what is shown in that article.
>
> regards,
> ronald
>
> "Glyn Simpson, MVP" wrote:
>
> > Can you point to the articles you have tried and  the exact errors you
are
> > getting?
> >
> > --
> > Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money
> > http://money.mvps.org
> >
> > Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny
> > for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or
> > suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp
> > or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially
> > if it's a UK specific wish.
> >
> > I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money
> >
> > "Ronald" <Ronald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > We have encountered some problem while migrating from 2004 to 2005,
when
> > > upgrading the database, it gives us an error message about read-only
> > > files.
> > > We have searched the knowledge base and found that microsoft is aware
of
> > > this
> > > problem and it is caused by the corruption within the database.  We
> > > followed
> > > the instruction on the microsoft website, however, when using the
repair
> > > facility within the money program, the corruption is said to be fixed,
but
> > > in
> > > 2005 it still does not upgrade and still have the readonly error
message.
> > > Then we tried to use the tool on the Money disk (which is supposed to
be
> > > more
> > > powerful), however, this tool clearly says that we are having an
> > > uncorrupted
> > > database.  Could anyone give us a solution on this.  Much appreciated.
> > > Thanks in advance.

0
glyn1 (1534)
10/18/2004 9:05:24 AM
Thanks a lot for your reply.  I have checked the settings and yes the TEMP
variable is set.  I have also tried to create a fresh copy of 2004 file, and
the 2005 version did upgrade the fresh copy, so I suspect there is something
corrupted with my database.  Is there anyway to correct the corruption?
Thanks.

"Glyn Simpson, MVP" wrote:

> An alternative would be to find the 2004 file and try to double-click it,
> this would ensure Money is finding the correct one (i suspect it is though).
> Also, try creating a copy of the 2004 file (check the read only attribute
> isn't set) and upgrade that one.
>
> On some older versions, there were problems with conversion if there was no
> TEMP variable set (found in control panel->system->advanced->environment
> variables) and/or using a limited user account, so have a look to see
> whether these are not helping you.
>
> --
> Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money
> http://money.mvps.org
>
> Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny
> for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or
> suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp
> or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially
> if it's a UK specific wish.
>
> I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money
>
> "Ronald" <Ronald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, thanks for the reply, here is the link for the actual article
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320193 and the
> error
> > is exactly what is shown in that article.
> >
> > regards,
> > ronald
> >
> > "Glyn Simpson, MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > Can you point to the articles you have tried and  the exact errors you
> are
> > > getting?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money
> > > http://money.mvps.org
> > >
> > > Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny
> > > for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or
> > > suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp
> > > or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially
> > > if it's a UK specific wish.
> > >
> > > I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money
> > >
> > > "Ronald" <Ronald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when
> of
> repair
> but
> message.
> be

0
Ronald (20)
10/21/2004 12:11:01 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Ronald wrote:

>Thanks a lot for your reply.  I have checked the settings and yes the TEMP
>variable is set.  I have also tried to create a fresh copy of 2004 file, and
>the 2005 version did upgrade the fresh copy, so I suspect there is something
>corrupted with my database.  Is there anyway to correct the corruption?

Run "\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\salv.exe"
to try to make a repaired version. Try level 2, perhaps followed by
a level 1.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
10/21/2004 12:21:01 AM
Thansk for much for your help, however, after tried using the 2005 version of
salv.exe, it is still not working... giving me the same error message.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Ronald wrote:
>
> >Thanks a lot for your reply.  I have checked the settings and yes the TEMP
> >variable is set.  I have also tried to create a fresh copy of 2004 file, and
> >the 2005 version did upgrade the fresh copy, so I suspect there is something
> >corrupted with my database.  Is there anyway to correct the corruption?
>
> Run "\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\salv.exe"
> to try to make a repaired version. Try level 2, perhaps followed by
> a level 1.

0
Ronald (20)
10/21/2004 1:07:01 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Ronald wrote:

>Thansk for much for your help, however, after tried using the 2005 version of
>salv.exe, it is still not working... giving me the same error message.

And yet salv.exe is not giving you errors, I infer.

And you are opening the modified *.mny file, with a different name,
that salv.exe produced? One way to open a particular file is to open
Money by double-clicking the Money file in Windows Explorer.

If in a command window you do
 cacls "Ronald money.mny"
including the quotes, is one of the lines that follows is

aa\bb:F

where aa represents your computer name and bb is your user name, and
"Ronald money.mny" represents your Money file? The F is a real F
that stands for Full access rights.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
10/21/2004 1:22:30 AM
Uhmmm, I did get an error message when using salv.exe, saying the online
table error, however, it says that the problem has been fixed, yet still the
2005 money program does not recognise it.  I also tried to use the cacls
command, and found I do have full access rights.  thanks for the help... I
guess i should give up at this stage... seems to be all correct and the
program just does not load the file

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Ronald wrote:
>
> >Thansk for much for your help, however, after tried using the 2005 version of
> >salv.exe, it is still not working... giving me the same error message.
>
> And yet salv.exe is not giving you errors, I infer.
>
> And you are opening the modified *.mny file, with a different name,
> that salv.exe produced? One way to open a particular file is to open
> Money by double-clicking the Money file in Windows Explorer.
>
> If in a command window you do
>  cacls "Ronald money.mny"
> including the quotes, is one of the lines that follows is
>
> aa\bb:F
>
> where aa represents your computer name and bb is your user name, and
> "Ronald money.mny" represents your Money file? The F is a real F
> that stands for Full access rights.

0
Ronald (20)
10/21/2004 1:45:03 AM
Hi Cal,

     I have again tried to change the access for everyone using the cacls
command, every time we change the access rights for everyone to full, and run
money, money automaticaly changes it back to C (change) it changes bullitin
users to R (readonly).  Is there any way to get around it?

thanks.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Ronald wrote:
>
> >Thansk for much for your help, however, after tried using the 2005 version of
> >salv.exe, it is still not working... giving me the same error message.
>
> And yet salv.exe is not giving you errors, I infer.
>
> And you are opening the modified *.mny file, with a different name,
> that salv.exe produced? One way to open a particular file is to open
> Money by double-clicking the Money file in Windows Explorer.
>
> If in a command window you do
>  cacls "Ronald money.mny"
> including the quotes, is one of the lines that follows is
>
> aa\bb:F
>
> where aa represents your computer name and bb is your user name, and
> "Ronald money.mny" represents your Money file? The F is a real F
> that stands for Full access rights.

0
Ronald (20)
10/21/2004 2:45:01 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Ronald wrote:

>     I have again tried to change the access for everyone using the cacls
>command, every time we change the access rights for everyone to full, and run
>money, money automaticaly changes it back to C (change) it changes bullitin
>users to R (readonly).  Is there any way to get around it?

I don't understand the permissions system well. But if you move the
..mny file to the Shared Documents folder, does that change things?

If you made Everyone the owner, I wonder how that would work. It
sounds as if you are trying to access the file as more than one
user, or as a single user but trying to get away from that error.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
10/21/2004 3:43:55 AM
Hi Cal,

    Thanks again for your reply and the replies from MVP, much appreciated.
However, I guess this issue is with Microsoft Money itself, as Microsoft has
updated their knowledge base on this error message.  Since we were using MS
Money 2004 Premium, it was not  affected as stated in the knowledge base
article.  However, for the 2005 versions, all editions (including premium)
are affected. that is why when we were upgrading from 2003 to 2004, we had no
problems, but when we try to upgrade from 2004 to 2005, there is this error
message.  Here is the link to the updated error acknowledgement from the
knowledge base:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320193 .

     Again thanks for your time for all these days trying to sove the
problem for us.

Kind regards,
Dingwei Xin

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Ronald wrote:
>

> >     I have again tried to change the access for everyone using the cacls
> >command, every time we change the access rights for everyone to full, and run
> >money, money automaticaly changes it back to C (change) it changes bullitin
> >users to R (readonly).  Is there any way to get around it?
>
> I don't understand the permissions system well. But if you move the
> ..mny file to the Shared Documents folder, does that change things?
>
> If you made Everyone the owner, I wonder how that would work. It
> sounds as if you are trying to access the file as more than one
> user, or as a single user but trying to get away from that error.

0
Ronald (20)
10/21/2004 4:09:02 AM
Hi Cal,

     I have tried again to copy the file to CD and back and even tried to do
it onto a non-ntfs (ie fat32) system partition, it still gives me the same
error.  Browsing through this discussion board it seems that some of the
other people are having the same problem as well.  Then I found a link to one
of the unofficial faq you and others from MVP put up, in there it says that I
might need to do the export and importing business, I am just wondering if it
is going to be my last resort?  Is there any other ways that I can actually
repair a corrupted file?  After reading that faq I do realise that the
database is corrupted.  (it gave me the error message of "the operation
cannot be performed".

     Thanks so much.

Regards,
Ronald

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Ronald wrote:
>

> >    Thanks again for your reply and the replies from MVP, much appreciated.
> >However, I guess this issue is with Microsoft Money itself, as Microsoft has
> >updated their knowledge base on this error message.  Since we were using MS
> >Money 2004 Premium, it was not  affected as stated in the knowledge base
> >article.  However, for the 2005 versions, all editions (including premium)
> >are affected. that is why when we were upgrading from 2003 to 2004, we had no
> >problems, but when we try to upgrade from 2004 to 2005, there is this error
> >message.  Here is the link to the updated error acknowledgement from the
> >knowledge base:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320193 .
> >
> >     Again thanks for your time for all these days trying to sove the
> >problem for us.
>
> I remember people getting that error as they were moving over to XP.
> I produced it once by moving a file from one user to another. I
> worked with it a while by copying the file to a FAT volume (that has
> no ownership), to a CD and whatever. The symptom disappeared and I
> was not able to reproduce it later.
>
> I am not saying this was the same cause that you have.

0
Ronald (20)
10/21/2004 6:27:01 AM
Moreover, I have downloaded the "money recovery" file from
www.officerecovery.com and tried to recovery the ms money database.  However,
after stage 1 and stage 2 I got an error message saying "Error: MS Money
Template File".  I am just wondering what kind of template file it is and if
this is the cause of the problem, is there anyway to solve it?  Thanks.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Ronald wrote:
>

> >    Thanks again for your reply and the replies from MVP, much appreciated.
> >However, I guess this issue is with Microsoft Money itself, as Microsoft has
> >updated their knowledge base on this error message.  Since we were using MS
> >Money 2004 Premium, it was not  affected as stated in the knowledge base
> >article.  However, for the 2005 versions, all editions (including premium)
> >are affected. that is why when we were upgrading from 2003 to 2004, we had no
> >problems, but when we try to upgrade from 2004 to 2005, there is this error
> >message.  Here is the link to the updated error acknowledgement from the
> >knowledge base:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320193 .
> >
> >     Again thanks for your time for all these days trying to sove the
> >problem for us.
>
> I remember people getting that error as they were moving over to XP.
> I produced it once by moving a file from one user to another. I
> worked with it a while by copying the file to a FAT volume (that has
> no ownership), to a CD and whatever. The symptom disappeared and I
> was not able to reproduce it later.
>
> I am not saying this was the same cause that you have.

0
Ronald (20)
10/21/2004 7:13:02 AM
thanks again for your response.  My apology to make you confused.  I could
use the database under money 2004, however, for one of the account I get
"operation cannot be performed" error.   We are unable to get the database to
work under moneyh 2005.

On top of that recovery tool, we have also tried "ultra money" which has a
repair tool of itself.  Through the analysis tool it shows that we have about
40 transactions that have illegal currencies, however, when we try to fix it,
the repair tool crashes, all we could do is to delete these transactions.
however, after fixing this problem, the same "cannot locate file" error
message appear everytime we try to upgrade the database into 2005.

After the long and stressful trials, we have decided to keep going along
with money 2004 until microsoft come up with a solution for the corrupted
file.  We have evaluated the possibility of exporting and importing QIF
files, however, it is just too much for us.  the account structure is really
complex and they are all inter-related to each other.  The fact that loan
accounts cannot be moved is the actual reason we finally decided not to go
onto that approach.  Unless there is another way of getting around it...

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Ronald wrote:
>

> >     I have tried again to copy the file to CD and back and even tried to do
> >it onto a non-ntfs (ie fat32) system partition, it still gives me the same
> >error.  Browsing through this discussion board it seems that some of the
> >other people are having the same problem as well.  Then I found a link to one
> >of the unofficial faq you and others from MVP put up, in there it says that I
> >might need to do the export and importing business, I am just wondering if it
> >is going to be my last resort?  Is there any other ways that I can actually
> >repair a corrupted file?  After reading that faq I do realise that the
> >database is corrupted.  (it gave me the error message of "the operation
> >cannot be performed".
>
> Now I am more confused than normal. You had said the error you were
> getting was "Money cannot locate filename or cannot open it,
> possibly because it is a read-only file, you do not have permission
> to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected. If you have
> chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to
> click OK and then Restore your most recent backup file." That error
> would be associated with not being able to open the file.
>
> Now you have the error "the operation cannot be performed".  That
> would be associated with having the file opened but failing when
> trying to do a particular thing.
>
> So if you do have the file open, yes, QIF export/import can be a
> useful thing. You will certainly have a clean file afterwards. If
> you do intend to do the QIF thing, there are some considerations. On
> the other hand, there are things that can sometimes get rid of that
> depending on what triggers the error.
>
> I don't know anything about the application that you reference in
> your later posting.

0
Ronald (20)

Excel Progrom Error

Data Migration Problem #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C4C0C4.D0290A10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Bonjour all, I have been struggling with the data migration problem for a long = time... and get stuck in the middle of the road. I am importing company data from either excel or text files into the = cdf_Product table of SQL server (cdf_mscrm database) using the SQL Query = Analyzer, where a problem is encountered that in the table structure, = there exists the product id as the primary key (data type: SQLI...

Sharebuilder account import error

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.

Need advice on 5.5 migration
Our current setup is all NT4 servers and I am running Exch 5.5. My boss wants a whole new domain created for new servers that we will be getting that will be running 2003 server and exchange 2003 (current servers are too outdated for an upgrade). I have set this up in a test environment and created the trusts and ran the ADMT and things ran fairly smoothly except password issues but that may be another post later. My question is which is the best way to approach this from an Exchange standpoint? Should the 2003 join the existing site or should I create a new exchange site for the 2003?...

ERROR

error, chkdsk

error 0x800CCC0F

4.4.7 error

Excel error codes translations

delete server...routing master error

Re: Money 2004

Technical error

New 2005 Installation.
Am trying to install 2005 fresh, ie not an upgrade. I get stopped at the passport screen. I enter my passport email address and password but it tells me one is incorrect. I can go to MSN and sign into passport with no problem using the same password and email. Any help??? Do you have a firewall? You might have to make changes. "Dean Davis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:387701c4aa42$2c1f51b0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Am trying to install 2005 fresh, ie not an upgrade. I > get stopped at the passport screen. I enter my passport > ema...

CObject Private method access error

Error in closing Outlook

Money 2005 Calendar
Is there any way to pring out the bill calendar? Quicken allowed you to do this and it was one of the more awesome features in Quicken. ...

Typing message error

Receive an error message when you try to perform any editing tasks
Hi We have exch2003 cluster and recently we have some note book with Vista, now when we are accessing mailbox through OWA we are getting error when we want to edit (reply, forward) there is article from MS, we want to know does this article also apply to exch clsuter or it is for member server. The artical is http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=911829 Nagori Not sure what you mean by either exch cluster or member server, but basically you will need to install this patch on your FE and BE exchange servers, including your exch cluster servers. To install exch hotfixes or patches, move...

outlook.pst error message
When I attmept to open Outlook 2000 (in Windows XP) I get an error message that the file C:Documents and Setting\Owner Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst has detetected an error. It tells me to quit all mail-enabled applications and then use the Inbox repair tool. I have tried to run the repair tool many times and it always crashes before it fin9shes scanning the files. One time it finished the scan and stated that files were damaged and it asked if I wanted to Repair those files. I said yes and it froze up and would not respond. Are there any other ways ...

PM Transaction continuing error message #2
We are currently running GP 10 SP1 and apparently since version 8 (we did not upgrade to 9) there has been the following error message while launching a transaction out of Smartlist, when we go to inquiry for AP documents, and drill down of PMTRX & PMCHK from the JE inquiry view: Unhandeled Script Exception: Index 0 array of 'PM_Transaction_Inquiry_Fill' Script terminated We ran a query for all documents that were less than 1 or greater the 8 on the PM00400 & PM30200 tables. And updated the ones to what they needed to be. And it worked! And the message went away! But then we ...

Message "An error has occured" when click Activity
Hi All, After creating a new case, when i try to create a new email activity, message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator". Has anybody encounter this issue before? Previously it was working fine, after we import the customization. I have problem to create new email activity. Thanks. -- Regards, Venedict what does the Event Viewer say? "Venedict" wrote: > Hi All, > > After creating a new case, when i try to create a new email activity, > message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator". &g...