Ending Cash Balance in Investment Transactions Register vs Cash Transactions #2

This subject is the same as a previous topic.  There didn't seem to be
a conclusion in the last discussion of this problem, so I decided to
address it once again for those who may still be suffering from this
issue.  Nonetheless, it's probably worth it for you to read the
previous discussion for additional background and context information.

THE PROBLEM:
In MS Money 2004, for whatever reason, some transactions are stored as
Opening Balance transactions and they're hidden from the user such that
the opening balance will always be greater than zero even when there
are no transactions visible in the account and the account opening
balance is set to $0.00 (in the account details page).  I never noticed
the problem until comparing the balances of the cash transactions
register and investment transactions register.  They weren't equal, and
this is a problem.  You may also have some of these hidden opening
balance transactions if the following ocurrs:  Go to the Cash
Transactions register of an investment account, and note the "Ending
Cash Balance" amount.  Next, click the "View: ..." link near the top of
the registry entries.  Change the view from "All Transactions" to
either "Unreconciled ..." or "Unaccepted ...."  Now, compare the
previous "Ending Cash Balance" amount to the current amount.  If the
amount has changed, your file maybe contaminated by this issue.

THE SOLUTION:
In general, the only way to get rid of the corruption is to delete the
account and create a new one to replace it.  Fortunately, you don't
have to lose all of your transaction entries.  At least, that was true
in my case.  Before continuing by my method, create a backup file, and
delete your account at your own risk.  First, I exported the investment
transactions to a quicken file (InvTrans.qif).  Then I exported the
cash transactions to a different quicken file (CashTrans.qif).  Next, I
opened the cash transactions file with Notepad.  This allowed me to see
the hidden Opening Balance transactions.
In my case, the file should have contained nothing more than the
following:

!Type:Bank
D9/26'2005
T0.00
CX
POpening Balance
^

However, when I opened the file in Notepad, there were additional cash
transactions.  I simply deleted those, and saved the file.  In your
case, only 1 thing really needs to be changed.  Following: "D", replace
"9/26'2005" with the date you opened your account.  Next, check for
extraneous transactions.  Delete those until the file contains only
those cash transactions which are an accurate reflection of your bank
statements.  In the worst case scenario, you could always delete
everything except what you see above.  That way, you could be sure to
delete any unwanted transactions.  Save this file.

At this point, you may want to open the Investment Transactions .qif
file in Notepad to verify that your investment transactions are present
in the file.  If they're not, try to create the .qif export file again.

Once you've successfully created a backup to your money file and saved
an investment transactions file and a cash transactions file, you are
ready to delete your investment account.  You can delete it by right
clicking the account name on the Accounts List page and then left
clicking Delete.

Now, recreate the investment account by importing the Investment
Transactions .qif file created earlier.  Remember, to choose "As a new
recovered account" for this import.  Also, when given the option to
select which account to import the data, choose to create a new
account.  At that time, you can reselect the bank, account name, etc.
Once this import is complete, check the outcome by selecting the
Investment Transactions page of the newly created account.  All of your
transactions from the previous account should be there.

Next, import the cash transactions.  For this import, choose "As a
statement from my bank," and select the newly created investment
account when given the option.

The last thing to do is change the account details.  If you keep this
info up to date, you might want to take a look and make sure the data
is how you prefer.

.....That's what worked for me....Good luck.

0
tr00per03 (1)
10/31/2006 6:43:10 AM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

2 users same pc without exchange
In one office I do work for, they are using Outlook 2000 to pop out to a mail provider. They have two part time people using the same computer. Without using exchange, can you configure Outlook to prompt for a different user account on startup so each user can have their own pop account, pst contacts etc? Thanks!!!! Hello Smillma, You can create in your control panel|mail a second profile with independent settings. -- Thomas Wetzel Synchronize or backup your Outlook quick and easy. www.synchpst.com ...

Investments to watch account
The total for the "Investments to Watch" account does no up when I go to the Accounts List page. All of the other account totals show up. Is there and option that I need to choose to get it to show up? Thanks In microsoft.public.money, Mike wrote: >The total for the "Investments to Watch" account does no >up when I go to the Accounts List page. All of the other >account totals show up. Is there and option that I need >to choose to get it to show up? Unchecking "Watch Account" would do what you are asking for, but the fake money would be tre...

Where or where has my cash flow gone???
Money Deluxe 04. Cash flow was always working now when I click on it I'm told to add accounts even though there are ooddles of them. I tried repair but no help. Any ideas? ...

Create GoTo for Receivings Transaction Inquiry Zoom window?
Do I need to call an OpenWindow procedure to set up a GoTo to the Receivings Transaction Inquiry Zoom window? I tried setting up an Open Form GoTo using the POP Receipt Number and Vendor ID, but nothing happens when I try to drill down. I noticed on another posting that Patrick recommended using an OpenWindow procedure to open a window...can I use that here if the Open Form doesn't work? I tried setting up a procedure like so: OpenWindow of form POP_Inquiry_Receivings_Entry with a parameter of the POP Receipt Number, but I get the message 'Unknown Identifier 'OpenWindow...

OWA Access #2
Keep getting this error when connecting to Outlook Web Access internally and externally... ....HTTP Error 405 - The HTTP verb used to access this page is not allowed. Internet Information Services (IIS) Anybody know how to correct it? You cannot even access OWA from the web server? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling OWA on the web server? Are the web server and the Exchange server 2 separate computers or are they the same box? Is this Exchange 5.5 SP-4 or 2K or even 2K3? Rob "Dexter Haskins" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0b6201...

OnLButtonDown #2
I am noticing that if I click on my app while it is playing audio, my OnLButtonDown handling (such as test Beeps) accumulates and takes effect after the audio has finished. Is this due to different priorities? Steve Russell wrote: > I am noticing that if I click on my app while it is playing audio, my > OnLButtonDown handling (such as test Beeps) accumulates and takes effect > after the audio has finished. Is this due to different priorities? Are you playing the sound by calling a blocking function? (Like PlaySound without the SND_ASYNC flag?) If so: It's not a matt...

front end \ back end set up
How do I get my front end to connect to the back end. Yea that's what my wife said. Check the box on the Front-end and you should be all set. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Gonzosez" <tbyam@hinklemfgNS.com> wrote in message news:urHL2vXgEHA.1344@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > How do I get my front end to connect to the back end. > Yea that's what my wife said. > > .... and maybe some flowers or chocolates for your wife ;) -GT "Mark Fugatt [MVP]" <news@4mcts.com> wrote in message ne...

Mystery: transaction in the checkbook, but not the G/L?
I am running into a situation where certain payables transactions are being paid, and the check is in the checkbook, but the credit is not hitting cash in the G/L. Since the bank reconciliation pulls its cash balance from the checkbook, this is throwing off my bank rec - it doesn't tie to the G/L. This is only happening in isolated situations. All batches are posted. These checks are even voidable, with a debit hitting cash. It's just that the original transaction doesn't hit the G/L. In fact, if you drill down thru the checkbook to the "distribution," it's blan...

Electronic update shows different Ledger balance than bank
I have an account where my Bank's Ledger is being displayed as a higher value than my Adjusted balance in Money 2005. The thing is, my Adjusted balance IS correct and the Bank's website shows that same ammount as my REAL Ledger. Any Ideas? Other accounts from that bank are working fine, but they have far fewer transactions. ...

Posting Receipts from the Back end
we use a custom integration to push receipts into the POP work tables we then have to post the batches manually to put inventory into the system. has anyone developed or figured out a way to kick off the posting from the back end using a stored procedure. we want to make this more of a real time integration. Thanks Bob -- Schsuter - 1. GP allows you to select multiple batches at one time from Master Posting. Routines| 2. You could capture related GP macro in a txt file and schedule it to run on a client. If that doesnt suit you then you are better off capturing the DEXSQL that ...

Setup CD as investment
When I setup a new account for a couple of CD's that I purchased I chose to make them investment accounts. The problem is that I don't see how I can enter the interest rate and length of term and how often interest is deposited. Is there a better way to setup a CD so that money can track all this information? Zach Rose What you don't mention is then entering investment transactions that define the CDs as investments and "buy" the CDs from cash. The basic flow is: 1) Given an Investment Account, 2) Either Transfer cash to the Investment Account associated Cash Accou...

Number at end of contact name
Since synchronising CRM to Outlook, many of the synchronised contacts have a number at the end of their name. What's going on? Mike -- Mike Bristol, UK CRM user www.crmuser.blogspot.com ...

Re: Letters not appearing #2
After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from JamesK <kenneyg@ameritech.net>... > I type caption under pictures. > Now only some of the letters or no letters appear, > no matter how hard I hit the key board. What happens if you create a new text box to contain the caption? Or if you resize the current one to make it larger? Or if you use the On-Screen Keyboard (Windows XP Only)? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm ...

Handling Roles end-to-end
Hi All, I have an employees database which consists of personnel and salespeople. Let's say I have 2 offices. One in Los Angeles and one in New York. I have Sales Managers and Sales Reps in both locations. What's the simplest way to handle these roles in a system? For instance, how do I make sure that sales managers can only see their sales reps and no one else's. And regional managers can see all sales managers under them only. And system administrators can see everyone. How do you handle this type of hierarchy in a system end-to-end? Any kind of resource is...

Command Button #2
How do I create a command button in a worksheet and assign a command t it using the control box tools, e.g., to sort a list of figures in sheet? Thank you, vija -- vijay2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- vijay22's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3411 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=53885 The macro recorder is your friend. Just use tools>macros>record when you do your sort manually. Then, assign to a button or a shape. I do not recommend command buttons. -- Don...

Xfer to Retirement Acct not registering correctly
I have a budget set up in Money 04 Deluxe. It works fairly well, but I'm having trouble with transfers to my retirement and savings accounts registering correctly. I'm paid bimonthly, and 7% of my paycheck is transferred to a retirement account by my employer. Additionally, I have $250 autodeposited in savings. Here is how I have set up: I have both a retirement and savings acct set up in Money. I have my paycheck set up in a Paycheck Category that transfers the appropriate amounts to the retirement and savings accounts. Both accounts register the the funds as received and bal...

How To Scroll To End On Current?
I have a subform in continuous form mode on a form, and depending on the number of records in the subform, a vertical scroll bar may or may not appear. By default, the subform is oriented so that the top-most records are displayed and the scrollbar is in its top-most state. How do I cause the scrollbar to move to its end state? -- Randy Yates % "Remember the good old 1980's, when Digital Signal Labs % things were so uncomplicated?" mailto://yates@ieee.org % 'Ticket To The Moon' http://www.digitalsignallabs.com ...

Front-End for an Excel Data Base
Greetings, I'm hoping to create a Data Base with Excel, but would like some to use other program as the front-end. Which would the Ideal Front-end for the same? (Appending & Querying must be preformed with ease.) Thanks Venkat. That sound's totally back-to-front to me. I can understand using a database somewhere else and Excel as a front-end analysis tool, but the other way. You would probably have to use an ODBC connection into the Excel file, unless the other product supported ADO and OLEDB, which is not good. Why would you want to do it that way? Having said that, I have que...

2 VS_VERSION_INFO blocks in rdpwd.sys
Hello and Happy Holidays to all... I need to read information from the VS_VERSION_INFO block without the use of Windows APIs (such as GetFileVersionInfo()). I've had this working for quite some time now, but I've recently run into a case where my results do not agree with the Windows Explorer Version Dialog. I get a miss on C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rdpwd.sys from a fully-patched S03,SP1. In reading the file in a hexeditor, the file contains (at least) 2 VS_VERSION_INFO blocks. My results reflect one block while WinExplorer pulls information from the other. What are the rules r...

Credit Card Balances in Parentheses
This might be a dumb question, but what does it mean when my credit card balance in the register show up in Red and in parentheses? Then, when I look at the Account Listing, the same credit card "Adj. Balance" shows in Black and without the parens. I'm confused. Can someone please explain this for me. Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, bver911 wrote: >This might be a dumb question, but what does it mean when my credit card >balance in the register show up in Red and in parentheses? It means you have a credit balance. If you don't actually have a credit bala...

difference between end and recurrence end
Hi I use calendar in outlook 2003 for booking in holiday units, when trying to print a list type report of bookings, the end date is often wrong and is different to the recurrence end date. any reasons for this, thanks tim ...

Custom dictionary not available #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I receive the message every time I try to check a word that the "custom dictionary is not available." I have tried the fixes recommended by others and they have not worked. Keyes@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) > > I receive the message every time I try to check a word that the "custom dictionary is not available." I have tried the fixes recommended by others and they have not worked. Hi, You have to activate the custom dictionary before you...

Update Investments...
From reading threads so far I don't think its possible BUT - i live in Australia and there are no banks associated with Microsoft Money so I'm thinking its predominantly a US thing... With investments & updating them my shares are replaced by the US equivalent or advised symbol not found - is there any way of overcoming this or is the software only configured for US use? AMP retrieves details for Ameriprise, not AMP Australia - any suggestions or a lost cause? Look forward to any help... On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 14:11:02 -0800, Nathan <Nathan@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Changing beginning balances
When we closed out the 2006 P&L balances to retained earnings, we noticed we had a couple expense accounts that did not close out. We found that these accounts had a posting type of "Balance Sheet" instead of "Profit and Loss" in the account maintenance. We have since changed their settings. Now we are looking for a way to change the beginning balances of 2007 to reflect these expense accounts being closed out to retained earnings. Has anyone had this happen to them? Thanks! Yes this happens more than occasionally. I win bets with my clients every year when I make...

MS CRM 1.2 Sales for Oulook Problem
I've installed SFO into my laptop. Yesterday everything worked fine, but today I faced some problems. I cannot create CRM appoitments/CRM Contacts/CRM tasks from the SFO CRM buttons. Nothing happens while clicking these buttons. Have somebody else faced this kind of problems and what should I do to overcome this?? BR, Saku I've the same problem, but only with crm appointments. crm e-mails, contacts and tasks work fine! Regards Thomas "Saku" wrote: > I've installed SFO into my laptop. Yesterday everything worked fine, but > today I faced some problems. I...