Encrypting MS Money files?

I am not a MS Money user yet, but am trying to figure out from their
literature if they have any security built into the software.  Does it
encrypt, or "just" password protect the database file on the hard
drive?  I'm worried about my laptop getting stolen and all my
financial information being available.  Should I invest in a hard
drive encryption package too?  What about those USB Key's that will
lock down a folder or drive?

What's everybody's recommendation to guarantee that your data cannot
be retrieved in the event of the computet getting stolen?

Thanks,
Bob

0
xxx2719 (71)
3/3/2006 5:01:39 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Bob wrote:

>I am not a MS Money user yet, but am trying to figure out from their
>literature if they have any security built into the software.  Does it
>encrypt, or "just" password protect the database file on the hard
>drive?

It encrypts if you have a password, but that does not mean the
encryption cannot be broken.

> I'm worried about my laptop getting stolen and all my
>financial information being available.  Should I invest in a hard
>drive encryption package too?  What about those USB Key's that will
>lock down a folder or drive?

I am skeptical that they are all that secure.

>What's everybody's recommendation to guarantee that your data cannot
>be retrieved in the event of the computet getting stolen?

PGPdisk with a significant pass phrase can create a pseudo disk on
the hard drive to hold your sensitive items including Money files
and backups.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
3/3/2006 5:31:07 PM
"Guarantee"? Don't let your computer get stolen.

There are lots of lesser methods that provide greater or lesser levels of
protection from more or less determined and capable adversaries. In general,
these methods also increase the risk that you loose access to your own data.

"Bob" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
> What's everybody's recommendation to guarantee that your data cannot
> be retrieved in the event of the computet getting stolen?

You just need to download an on-the-fly encryption program and run
your Money file from an encrypted container.
Check out Truecrypt at http://www.truecrypt.org/.

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:01:39 -0500, Bob <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:

>I am not a MS Money user yet, but am trying to figure out from their
>literature if they have any security built into the software.  Does it
>encrypt, or "just" password protect the database file on the hard
>drive?  I'm worried about my laptop getting stolen and all my
>financial information being available.  Should I invest in a hard
>drive encryption package too?  What about those USB Key's that will
>lock down a folder or drive?
>
>What's everybody's recommendation to guarantee that your data cannot
>be retrieved in the event of the computet getting stolen?
>
>Thanks,
>Bob
Windows can transparently encypt files that are on a NTFS drive such that
the only can be read by the user who encyrpted them is in the first place.
Why not use that, is it insecure?

"Bob A." <babrams7789@att.net> wrote in message
> You just need to download an on-the-fly encryption program and run
> your Money file from an encrypted container.
> Check out Truecrypt at http://www.truecrypt.org/.
>

> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:01:39 -0500, Bob <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:
>
> >I am not a MS Money user yet, but am trying to figure out from their
> >literature if they have any security built into the software.  Does it
> >encrypt, or "just" password protect the database file on the hard
> >drive?  I'm worried about my laptop getting stolen and all my
> >financial information being available.  Should I invest in a hard
> >drive encryption package too?  What about those USB Key's that will
> >lock down a folder or drive?
> >
> >What's everybody's recommendation to guarantee that your data cannot
> >be retrieved in the event of the computet getting stolen?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Bob

0
Ziggy

Outlook File Location
I've asked this question before but did not receive the answer I wanted, so I will ask it again. I have my hard drive partitioned into two drives, a drive C: and a drive D: As you would expect, the Windows XP Pro operating system and all program files are on Drive C: All other files--data files, etc.0--are stored on Drive D: Everytime I reinstall my opreating system and programs on drive C:, I go through this problem of how to save and restore my Outlook files. I would dearly love to configure Outlook so that all Outlook files are stored on Drive D so I don't have to jump thro...

Encrypting Mail in OL2K
My boss wants to send "Private" mail to set individuals and wants to know how to "Encrypt" this email (He looked in the OL Help file.) I have looked at this alittle bit but when I go to the MS site referenced for a Digital ID I get a 404 error. Does anyone have info on Outlook encryption? Thanks in Advance! ...

How to reformat data file.
I received a data file of names and addresses formatted in Excel as follows: John Smith 123 Main St Newburgh, NY 12550 (Blank Line) John Jones 234 Main St Newburgh, NY 12550 (blank Line) etc. Is there a way to reformat this data so that it can be set up for a mail merge. I had asked this question earlier, with no response, so I have asked it in a different format. Thanks again. See one response to your other post. jffryhkln wrote: > > I received a data file of names and addresses formatted in Excel as follows: > > John Smith > 123 Main St > Newburgh, NY 12550 > (B...

How to export my memDC to a *.bmp file directly
Hi, all dose anybody know how to export my h_memDC to a bmp file ? I dont want the sourcecode i just want to know how many steps to do that, thanks in advance. I have a map stored in memdc, i dont want to display it to the view, I just want to export it to a bmp file directly. so , what can i do ? Best regards, Ray It's not too hard a process. Basically you open a file, write the header, grab each pixel in turn & write these. The tricky bits are to do with byte padding (how many pixels per byte, adding any redundant bytes to the line). First off, though, you need the file ...

[Q] Open xls file in different windows
hello, i've been searching how to open excel files in different windows. does anyone know? i've tried one but the window name at the bar shows "Microsoft Excel -filename". when you opened multi-windows with WORD, the bar is "filename -Microsoft WORD". try Tools-->Options and on the View tab check the option "Windows in Taskbar." This still shows Microsoft Excel - [filename] but it's going to do that regardless. HTH, Katherine "hal9000" <seiju@j-wave.net> wrote in message news:057a01c39cf2$13cfccb0$a401280a@phx.gbl... >...

Does Microsoft provide a tool to convert OST to PST Files.
I have an OST file, which needs to be converted to a PST file. Any tips, or are there any share ware tool which does this. See www.exchangerecovery.com . Srini wrote: > I have an OST file, which needs to be converted to a PST > file. Any tips, or are there any share ware tool which > does this. ...

Imort Excel File
I want to import 12000 rows of products with prices into rms. I have used the QSIimport utility in the past for fewer products. The problem I have is the description for the products has characters more than 28 which truncates the description. I would like for part of the description to be moved to extended description. Apologies if this is an excel question rather than RMS. I am just trying to import products with their entire description into RMS. Previously I had to manually move the description into extended description, but I can't spend 2 days doing that for 12000 products. A...

Excel File Restore ??
Hi Folks, I have been a complete plank (and feel free to call me such), I made some changes to an Excel spreadsheet I have saved on my PC and accidently clicked on "SAVE". Is there a facility where I can roll back to the sheet in it's previous state as you can do with System Restore in Windows ???? PLEASE HELP as I don't want to have to start all over again - just heading off to hide in shame.......... Thanks Wayne Do you have a backup? Have you shared it with others (maybe via email--so an earlier copy would be in your sent folder) or ask a recipient to send it back...

Crystal File Store location?
Does anybody know the default file location of the Crystal File Store for Back Up purposes? Thks ...

MS CRM v1.2 Sales Process (Sales Standard License)
Hi All, What's the answer of this questions? How many numbers of Sales process in Sales Standard License ? A. 0 B. 3 C. 6 D. Unlimited Licky Suryawan wrote: > Hi All, > What's the answer of this questions? > > How many numbers of Sales process in Sales Standard License ? > A. 0 > B. 3 > C. 6 > D. Unlimited Course Microsoft CRM Applications, Page 42: "Standard: One single sales process, manually applied" :-) -- J�rgen Beck MCSD.NET, MCDBA, MCSE, MCT MCP CRM Application/Installation/Customization www.Juergen-Beck.de Jurgen, But there is no an...

import .dbx files
I should have added that my Outlook is 2003 version. Pat That is fine. Just follow what Gordon posted -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B88CC5B9-EFCE-4F45-B9B8-BAB7ACCA284F@microsoft.com... >I should have added that my Outlook is 2003 version. Pat wrote: > I should have added that my Outlook is 2003 version. You should have added it to your original thread. You started a NEW and *disc...

Windows cannot find file message
I have a strange problem when I try to open an Excel file from My Computer or Windows Explorer. I get an error message to the effect that "Windows cannot find the file c:\book1.xls' ,etc. etc. although the file definitey exists. Not too sure what I've done, but any help fixing this problem would be most gratefully received. One possibility is that the file is nested too deep in the filing system. There is a limit to the number of characters that can be used for a file path. For Excel I thing this is about 234; for Windows it is more. See if the name given in the "ca...

Restoring my .pst files
I had my operating system crash on me and managed to save the outlook database to a cd rom. I have reintstalles windows XP pro, and reinstalled Outlook, but I keep on getting OPERATION FAILED when I try to import, and I have reintstalled Outlook 2002, 4 times now, and don't know what to do. Any ideas or help??? Provide enough detail for us to help. Trying to import what? How? Importing is always a poor choice for PST files. Just re-use them. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Rob Lewis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5da201c3e5fe$35246f...

Cost basis Money 2003
I want to not only record the cost value of shares and bonds in the "Portfolio" view of Money 2003 (which I am doing successfully), I also want the "What I have" part of the Reports section ("Net worth" and "Account balances") to show the investments on a cost value basis. At the moment it values shares on the basis of the last parcel bought and then reflects the value difference as an increase or decrease in net worth. I know I could update prices manually for the shares and just put in the average cost of all the parcels bought of a particula...

File EDB
I have a problem. The disc with operating sistem (Windows 2000 server) not running and i have the exchange's file with important notice that i want recovery. It's possible import this file into exchange running on the another computer?? What's wrong with the server? Do you have good backups? If so, what kind of backups were you running? If all you have are the edb files, see PowerControl from OnTrack - expensive, but they work. gs-snc wrote: > I have a problem. The disc with operating sistem (Windows 2000 > server) not running and i have the exchange's file with import...

Duplicate File Attachment Error
We have sporadically seen two copies of an attachment appear in the recipient's message. However, it is not in the senders message upon release. Any ideas? ...

opening a txt file in exce and losing decimal places.
when i open a txt file in excel that has 9 decimals excel is rounding t 5 decimals even though the cell is general -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If the cell is General and the columnwidth is too narrow, it might look like it's rounded--try widening that column. (or just select that cell and look in the formula bar) "JANAANTHONY <" wrote: > > when i open a txt file in excel that has 9 decimals excel is rounding to > 5 decimals even though the cell is general. > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ -- Dave Peterson...

Windows is blocking my .mdb file
Hi I have sent my client a new database as a .mdb file in a zipped file. When she tries to extract it, it does not extract the .mdb file. When trying to drag it across to the destination folder, it flags an error - Windows has blocked this program. Any idea how I can fix this? Stapes hi, Stapes wrote: > I have sent my client a new database as a .mdb file in a zipped file. > When she tries to extract it, it does not extract the .mdb file. When > trying to drag it across to the destination folder, it flags an error > - Windows has blocked this program. Any idea how I can fix thi...

I want open file for click double mouse
because I don't open file for mouse click double Hi Click on Tools|Options|General and untick Ignore other Applications "I want open file for click double mouse" wrote: > because I don't open file for mouse click double ...

Save a file in pub, now wont open ???
I recently created and saved a file as .pub. I have been able to open it up several times, but now the Publisher program says it cant open the file ! It will open on one computer but not the other...both have 2007 pulisher programs... and when I did have it opened, I saved it to a cd...that wont open it either. I am wondering if something in the properties has to do with this problem. I have never opened that up to save anything differently...any ideas??? How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198256 Have...

MS Office Document Image Writer quit working
I'm sorry if this post shows up twice. I posted it this morning but I don't see it so I'm posting it again in case it didn't go. Microsoft Office Document Image Writer is my default printer. I use it to print receipts from Internet purchases, make copies of medical documents, copies of financial transactions, etc. I've never had trouble. Today, I tried to print a record from Walgreens site and it didn't work. It acted like it did - I hit 'print,' it popped up, hit 'print' again, gave it a name and it acted like it went, just like al...

Cannot Open .xls files
My sister uses Excel and yesterday she clicked onto what looked like a microsoft message on resizing messages and since then she gets a message saying Windows cannot open the xls files. We tried restoring the PC to an earlier date but that didn't work. We can't find a simple download to open xls files. Does anyone have a suggestion? Sorry. Please ignore this post. I see the previous response. Thanks! "Linda" <NoOne@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:e14qRHTeGHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > My sister uses Excel and yesterday she clicked onto what looked lik...

MS Office Automation!
Hi All! I want to automate MS Office using MFC, so that i can open the word, powerpoint, or excel files in my application child window, and enable/disable command bars as required (client security level, whether he can edit file or not, save the file etc.). Any help regarding this will be higly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Bilal Anjum Hello! On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:54:26 +0500, Bilal Anjum wrote: > I want to automate MS Office using MFC, so that i can open the word, > powerpoint, or excel files in my application child window, and > enable/disable command bars as require...

get rid of file winmail.dat
Help please!!! Every time I send an email, MS Outlook always inserts the following attachment file to my outgoing email: winmail.dat Does anyone know how to get rid of this action from MS Outlook?? I woud appreciate if you and forward the answer to my email: sn68pbc@yahoo.com Thank you very much ! SN You're using RTF formatted messages - change it to plain text or HTML and you should lose the winmail.dat files. Look in tools, options, mail format. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickS...

Console log File Trimming
I have a very large console log file (1.5 GB) that has grown to big to effeciently open up with Wordpad or Notepad to trim. Can I just rename the file to consoleold.log and let sbs recreate the file. Make sure everything runs fine for about a week and then delete the consoleold.log file to free up space on the C: drive? Hickinator Sure. -- Chris Puckett This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Hickinator" <Hickinator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91596417-D317-48AE-86E6-B5A605AF9891@m...