Data File Problem

I just switched from Quicken 2005 to Money 2005 and I was just starting to
like Money when the following happened. I had money 2005 running smoothly
when I needed to re-load windows on my PC. My Money 2005 data file resides
on a Microsoft 2003 server, where it can be automatically backed up. After
formating and re-installing Windows XP I proceded to install Money 2005.
After the Money 2005 install I tried to access my Money data and I get the
following error message.

Money cannot locate 'X:\Users\BobG\Money\my money.mny" or cannot open it,
possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to
change it or your disk drive is write protected.

If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need
to click OK and open your most recent backup file.

If the file is being used by another application, close it in the other
application and click OK to try again.

The thing is that the file is not read only, I do have permission (I'm the
admin), and the disk is not write protected. I have tried to copy the file
locally and I have the same problem. I have also tried to restore from
backup and have the same problem. Any ideas before I go back to Quicken
forever??? Thank God, that I kept Quicken going through all this or I would
have been in a world of hurt.

0
Kodiak
1/7/2005 3:49:05 AM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

Open the sample file, let M05 update from the web, then try again.

In microsoft.public.money, "Kodiak" <kodia41226@<nospam>hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I just switched from Quicken 2005 to Money 2005 and I was just starting to
>like Money when the following happened. I had money 2005 running smoothly
>when I needed to re-load windows on my PC. My Money 2005 data file resides
>on a Microsoft 2003 server, where it can be automatically backed up. After
>formating and re-installing Windows XP I proceded to install Money 2005.
>After the Money 2005 install I tried to access my Money data and I get the
>following error message.
>
>Money cannot locate 'X:\Users\BobG\Money\my money.mny" or cannot open it,
>possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to
>change it or your disk drive is write protected.
>
>If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need
>to click OK and open your most recent backup file.
>
>If the file is being used by another application, close it in the other
>application and click OK to try again.

Let Money 2005 create a new Money file, clicking Decline in the
process.  It will do an update so that Help->About...  says you
then have version 14.0.*.1105.

Then you should be able to open or restore your existing files.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
1/7/2005 4:21:59 AM
As much as I hate adding M05 material to the UFAQ--generally preferring that
M05 users and Microsoft stew in their juices together--this may be one I'll
have to add.

What were they thinking, if anything?

> Let Money 2005 create a new Money file, clicking Decline in the
> process.  It will do an update so that Help->About...  says you
> then have version 14.0.*.1105.
>
> Then you should be able to open or restore your existing files.

Thanks Guys that fixed it. I thought Microsoft would have it together a
little better than that, but then again its still Microsoft.

"Kodiak hotmail.com>" <kodia41226@<nospam> wrote in message
>I just switched from Quicken 2005 to Money 2005 and I was just starting to
>like Money when the following happened. I had money 2005 running smoothly
>when I needed to re-load windows on my PC. My Money 2005 data file resides
>on a Microsoft 2003 server, where it can be automatically backed up. After
>formating and re-installing Windows XP I proceded to install Money 2005.
>After the Money 2005 install I tried to access my Money data and I get the
>following error message.
>
> Money cannot locate 'X:\Users\BobG\Money\my money.mny" or cannot open it,
> possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to
> change it or your disk drive is write protected.
>
> If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will
> need to click OK and open your most recent backup file.
>
> If the file is being used by another application, close it in the other
> application and click OK to try again.
>

> The thing is that the file is not read only, I do have permission (I'm the
> admin), and the disk is not write protected. I have tried to copy the file
> locally and I have the same problem. I have also tried to restore from
> backup and have the same problem. Any ideas before I go back to Quicken
> forever??? Thank God, that I kept Quicken going through all this or I
> would have been in a world of hurt.

0
Kodiak

horizontal data to vertical data

grammar check problem
Hello, I am using Outlook 2007 on XPSP2 When checking text in an e-mail message, I often get a warning dialog that says "Text marked with "Do not check spelling or grammar" was skipped." I never knowingly mark text that way. How do I prevent this from happening? -- Thanks, Bob it's probably the style you are using - will also happen if you type in the signature block. if you right click and see the signature list, you are in the sig field. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://w...

Excel 2007
When files are already open by another user, we have found that only users with Administrator permissions on their computers are able to open files read-only. If the user only has basic user permissions they receive a message stating the file could not be found. This was not a problem with Office 2000 (which we recently upgraded from). Any ideas? Thanks, Chris ...

export public folder data?

Asking for password problem
I have an Excel 2003 form that has several layers of protection. If a user saves the file as a 2007 workbook and I attempt to open it in 2003 I get a prompt for a password. I can click enter or type anything and it will accept it. If I save a copy of that 2007 workbook as a 2003 workbook then the prompt goes away. Very odd. ...

storing read only data

How to organize data?

importing an .ost file to OL2007
Hi, I was using Outlook 2003 at my previous employer on a MS Exchange server. Before I left I backed up my .ost file and .pst files. I am running Outlook 2007 at home and am trying to work out how to open the ..ost folder. It appears to only be looking for .pst files. Can anyone help please? You cannot Maybe find a third party who will convert for you "Tim123" <Tim123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D9F4666-0CA7-4C08-9FE2-5892B0CB5E11@microsoft.com... > Hi, I was using Outlook 2003 at my previous employer on a MS Exchange > server. > Before I ...

Password Problem #3
I currently have a laptop that is running Windows XP home. I am also running Office 2000 pro. All of the other computers on the network are running Windows 2000. The laptop with Windows XP will not remember the password to log into the mail through Outlook. I have it check for msg every 10 mins and am prompted to enter the password. All of the other computers running Windows 2000 at my company do not have this problem. I went through all the steps to have it remember the password. Is there a way to correct this problem or a hidden setting somewhere that I am missing? Please he...

file names in excel
When I try to name a file all I get saved is the first letter of the title I have entered. What is set wrong? Doesn't sound right. Show us the code that you use. -- HTH Bob Phillips "TonyB" <TonyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BCC8463-39BE-40D2-84C4-44311DEE14FA@microsoft.com... > When I try to name a file all I get saved is the first letter of the title I > have entered. > > What is set wrong? WinXP? Check to see if Excel is running in Windows 95 compatibility mode. There was a post that said: When I disabled compatibility mode...

Selecting specific data #2
Hi everyone I have another little problem. I have got a list of 20 items on sheet1, Cells A1 - A20 (numbered 1 - 20) and Cells B1 - B20 are items relating to that number, ie, number 1 = Concrete, number 2 = walls, and so on. Now on sheet 2 I have a table, again cell range A1:B20. I would like to know a formula so that when I enter a number in to column A, the corresponding item to that number appears in column B. ie, if I enter number 8 in Cell A1 on sheet 2, then I would like Floor to appear in Cell B1. Does this make sense? -- Thanks in advance for your help Lee Hi Lee Data range i...

Unable to open Excel file #4
Error message: File cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding. The file was not saved as read-only and the file is on a diskette. Sounds like a bad disk. Copy the disk to the hard drive somewhere an try to open there. -- kkkni ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kkknie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=754 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26520 Vic Cop...

Macro with relative address problem XSL 2000
Basically I want to (and did at one time) create a macro that edits a number (zip code), inserts a leading zero then moves down one cell. Cell Contents A1 1234 A2 2345 A3 3456 With the cursor on A1 my steps are: Tools\Macro\Record a New Macro\z On Stop Recording Toolbar depress Relative Address, then Edit Home '0 enter Down Click Stop recoding Since the cursor is on a A2, Pressing CTRL+z will make the contents 01234, not the desired 02345. I've tried different combinations of when to depress the relative address button with no success. And double clicking the c...

Saving sheet to text file
Hi, Can someone please help me with a date formatting problem. When I save a sheet to a TXT file manually (using the SaveAs option, etc.), I have no problems and the dates remain as they are shown on the sheet as d/m/yy (eg 15/9/05), but when I use the following macro, the dates on that sheet are saved to the text file as month/day/year (eg 9/15/05) Sub ExportToMYOB() ActiveWorkbook.Save Sheet2.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Premier9\Data files\ExportToMYOB.txt", _ FileFormat:=xlText, CreateBackup:=False ActiveWindow.Close End Sub Why is it so? Rob How did you ve...

What was your data migration experience for MS CRM 3.0?
Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or stored proceedures? What happened and how did you do it? Andy It's a bit unwieldy, but if you follow the documentation closely and do thorough tests it is a helpful tool. You should be prepared to do some extensive data cleansing and search the newsgroups when you hit a roadblock. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Andy" wrote: > Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or > stored proceedures? > > What happened and how did you do it? >...

Last Column With Data
How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has data? Dim myRow as long dim LastCol as long myrow = 1243 with worksheets("SomeSheetnamehere") lastcol = .cells(myrow,.columns.count).end(xltoleft).column end with msgbox LastCol This will break if you've used the last column in that row -- or if you haven't used any cells in that row. Is that a problem? Bishop wrote: > > How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has > data? -- Dave Peterson This gives a interger...

2003 files not looking right in 2007
I opened a brochure in 2007 I just completed last week using 2003. Whew, it was a mess. Spacing wrong etc. I went to another computer and using 2003 opened it and it was fine. Why is this? I have to almost redo the whole brochure if I am going to use it in 2007. Am I missing something. Thanks Different printer? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Pam" <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C260E80A-0B9E-4965-AFFB-8DB24DF05B32@microsoft.com... >I opened a brochure in 200...

Problem downloading old messages left on server
I have been having an intermittent problem where entourage downloads all the messages left on my Internet service provider's server, even though they have already been downloaded. I have a pop account. It only happens once every month or so. The service is a small private company called Hawaii Broadband. It is only happening with the Hawaii Broadband account. (I have two other email accounts). But the folks at Hawaii Broadband have no idea why this might happen and have no suggestions. I am using Entourage 2004, but my partner is using Entourage 2008 and he is having the same ...

Signature problem
Hi , I have my signature as a BMP file and i want to insert it as text into the body of the email. This is required for all my banking transactions where a signature is needed on the email itself and on the body of the email as opposed to being an attached file. Every time i go to do it the body of the email says "signature.bmp" which is offcourse the filename but it doesn't mean anything. I can offcourse attach it as BMP file but then it is a separate attachment as a signature only. The banks will not accept this. i tried to do it under the signature provision but...

.NET & XSLT: Unwanted namespace in resulting file after using extension objects
Hello, after using extension objects in the stylesheets there's an additional namespace entry in the resulting file. How can I prevent that? See: ..NET/C#: XslCompiledTransform xslt = new XslCompiledTransform(); .... XsltArgumentList xsltArgs = new XsltArgumentList(); xsltArgs.AddExtensionObject("ibd:DanTe", this); .... xslt.Transform( _source, xsltArgs, target ); XSLT: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/ Transform" xmlns:ibd="ibd:DanTe"> &l...

data file: how to start its application