Creating a long-term loan - problem

Hi,

People on this forum have been very helpful and I want to thank you all first.

I have another problem with creating a long-term loan and "matching" this
loan with another account (asset).  For example, if I borrow $1000 and I
create a long-term loan for it, it simply creates a loan account with an
amount -$1000.  Once I saw this, I decided to simply create another account
with a starting balance of $1000 (i.e. to offset the $1000 loan).  After all,
it is a loan so I do have the cash to use (i.e. purchase investments for
instance).  The problem is when I look at networth over time, it seems the
loan is applied to a month before the offsetting account is created.  Now, in
my networth over time, I see a month where it suddenly drops by $1000 because
of the loan.  And the month after, it increases by $1000 since my offsetting
account is active.  Now, how can I make sure these two accounts always offset
each other?

Btw, I cannot choose my investment account as the "asset" when creating the
loan.  Money wouldn't allow me.

Thanks in advance,
0
smurfgun (18)
11/24/2006 9:04:01 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Since asking the Loan genie to setup the asset account doesn't get it to do
the logical thing and Transfer the proceeds, I'd probably just create a cash
account at the same time and set it's initial balance at the same as the
loan value. You could also deposit it using something like Other Income:
Loan Proceeds Received.

Any benefit from the linked Asset Account is pretty small. I think someone
said that DRP or something would behave differently.

The only ready way to make sure they always offset is to create the Loan
Payment series as paying from the Cash/Asset account. But that almost surely
does not recognize where the cash will be coming from. Beyond that, I'm not
sure of a way to link them nor am I sure there should be. Follow the money.
The money that pays the loan is coming from a real account. Why the fiction
that it's coming from a fake account?

"smurfgun" <smurfgun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have another problem with creating a long-term loan and "matching" this
> loan with another account (asset).  For example, if I borrow $1000 and I
> create a long-term loan for it, it simply creates a loan account with an
> amount -$1000.  Once I saw this, I decided to simply create another
> account
> with a starting balance of $1000 (i.e. to offset the $1000 loan).  After
> all,
> it is a loan so I do have the cash to use (i.e. purchase investments for
> instance).  The problem is when I look at networth over time, it seems the
> loan is applied to a month before the offsetting account is created.  Now,
> in
> my networth over time, I see a month where it suddenly drops by $1000
> because
> of the loan.  And the month after, it increases by $1000 since my
> offsetting
> account is active.  Now, how can I make sure these two accounts always
> offset
> each other?
>
> Btw, I cannot choose my investment account as the "asset" when creating
> the
> loan.  Money wouldn't allow me.

When I created my loan account, I did create another account to offset it.
But this did not work since (possibly) the first transaction in the offset
account did not match the first transaction in the loan account (which will
be the loan interest payment).  i.e. my first interest payment was may 31st,
my first transaction in the offset account (when I used the loan money) is
may 15th.  In my networth graph, it shows the loan liability dating back to
april (since it affected my networth in april).  But like you say, I can make
a deposit in my offset account that dates back to april as well...

I don't understand why when I create a loan in MS money, it doesn't transfer
the loan money somewhere.  I mean, what happens to the money then?  It should
work like "line of credit" where the loan account starts at "$0" and then I
can transfer that money out into my investment account or "offset account"

Thanks,

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> Since asking the Loan genie to setup the asset account doesn't get it to do
> the logical thing and Transfer the proceeds, I'd probably just create a cash
> account at the same time and set it's initial balance at the same as the
> loan value. You could also deposit it using something like Other Income:
> Loan Proceeds Received.
>
> Any benefit from the linked Asset Account is pretty small. I think someone
> said that DRP or something would behave differently.
>
> The only ready way to make sure they always offset is to create the Loan
> Payment series as paying from the Cash/Asset account. But that almost surely
> does not recognize where the cash will be coming from. Beyond that, I'm not
> sure of a way to link them nor am I sure there should be. Follow the money.
> The money that pays the loan is coming from a real account. Why the fiction
> that it's coming from a fake account?
>
> "smurfgun" <smurfgun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have another problem with creating a long-term loan and "matching" this
> > loan with another account (asset).  For example, if I borrow $1000 and I
> > create a long-term loan for it, it simply creates a loan account with an
> > amount -$1000.  Once I saw this, I decided to simply create another
> > account
> > with a starting balance of $1000 (i.e. to offset the $1000 loan).  After
> > all,
> > it is a loan so I do have the cash to use (i.e. purchase investments for
> > instance).  The problem is when I look at networth over time, it seems the
> > loan is applied to a month before the offsetting account is created.  Now,
> > in
> > my networth over time, I see a month where it suddenly drops by $1000
> > because
> > of the loan.  And the month after, it increases by $1000 since my
> > offsetting
> > account is active.  Now, how can I make sure these two accounts always
> > offset
> > each other?
> >
> > Btw, I cannot choose my investment account as the "asset" when creating
> > the
> > loan.  Money wouldn't allow me.

0
smurfgun (18)
11/25/2006 12:15:01 AM
What can I say? Another wish list item ignored.

> I don't understand why when I create a loan in MS money, it doesn't
> transfer
> the loan money somewhere.  I mean, what happens to the money then?

That would be the Lifetime Planner, I believe.

message news:%23pw1imBEHHA.4808@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

> Any benefit from the linked Asset Account is pretty small. I think
> someone said that DRP or something would behave differently.

0
spam_magnet (1210)
11/25/2006 6:46:37 AM
I just looked at LP; near as I can tell, the effect is limited to
automatically picking up the asset in the Homes & assets section.

Back to smurfgun's OP, this may not be a desirable effect for all
loans/asset accounts. Even if it is, alternate solutions can be modeled in
LP by adding the asset separately there.

"Chris Cowles" <spam_magnet@remove-me-bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> That would be the Lifetime Planner, I believe.
>
> "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in
> message news:%23pw1imBEHHA.4808@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>
>> Any benefit from the linked Asset Account is pretty small. I think
>> someone said that DRP or something would behave differently.

If you schedule the sale of the asset, the LP assumes the loan is paid off
at the same time.
--
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL

message news:%23e4aBxJEHHA.4464@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I just looked at LP; near as I can tell, the effect is limited to
>automatically picking up the asset in the Homes & assets section.

0
spam_magnet (1210)

create a roster

Loan Payments.
Hello, i set a Loan Account that have since June of this year without problems, i record the payments from the past. But i want to register the payments (i pay from my checking account), and how can i register also the deposit of the loan. I don't know if the schedulled payments will be register in my checking account. ...

Removing duplicate records with long names in Excel 2007
Greetings, This is probably a very simple question, sorry. I have annual lists of company names and am trying to make a report of changes in the lists; companies added and companies dropped. The problem is that the names in the register are long and have lots of abbreviations which might differ from year to year; one extra dot, a space missing etc., thus, making the records for the same company differ from year to year. Now, how can I filter two lists to remove the same records? Is there a function to do that? Generally, for the same company, the first two words in the name r...

why won't my automobile loan payments show as a transaction?
I have a automobile account and a wachovia bank account. My auto loan company automatically takes $245 from my bank account each month. i can see the $245 transaction in my bank account register in MS Money but it doesnt update in my auto loan register. How can I have it automatically update my auto loan register? Thanks, Brad Nelson Have you set up an automatic bill payment? -- Neil "Brad Nelson" <BradNelson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71678D94-6B93-4C41-84BB-F980827B51D8@microsoft.com... >I have a automobile account and a wachovia bank acco...

Task Create - Status

Is there any way to rename the Sales Process Term?
We are trying to adapt CRM for a not for profit and Sales Process is the wrong term. I did not see it in the site map and there does not seem to be an entity. Is there any way to rename this? -- Ivan Cole probably not without hacking around with the source code of crm ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Ivan Cole" <IvanCole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:67DCACB5-594F-43BB-A122-CE39F3F2A35E@microsoft.com... > We are trying to adapt CRM for a not for profit and Sales Process is the &g...

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

when form created

Creating a Brochure

Autorecover takes so long
Why does autorecover takes such in inordinate length of time in Excel 2007 to save in comparison with just saving the file? On my quad core machine with a Windows 7 installation about 2 weeks old, my 7 meg file varies between about 15 and 30 seconds to save . Autorecover however holds up the machine (paled olut "not responding") for anything up to 10 minutes. I've had to disable it. ...

How to create Access macro shortcut

Creating an ad book

Access unable to create an MDE

create a database from which bibliography an be created
How do I create a database from which a bibliography can be added to the end of a Word document? I used the program RefManager, but that is too expensive for me to update. Does Word 2003 have such a program? Thanks Not natively. Have you checked your academic institution? They might have campus licenses which students can use at home. You could give Zotero a spin (www.zotero.org). Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me. Word 2007 comes with referencing capabilities, but they are limited in functionality. Anything special you want, you would have to add i...

Error creating activities from Cases
Hi I have an out of the box SBS 2003 CRM Setup I have installed Rollup1 and the new help files Under about MS CRM it has CRM 3.0 (3.0.5300.0) When we try and create activies from within a case, we get the following to errors in the event log We can create the activities just fromthe main web client menu ok The same thing happens in the outlook client (OL 2003, Exchange 2003) I found some links to verabose stuff, but they all applied to the have MS CRM setup on multiple server. We have tried it with and without Outlook open Anyhelp appreciated Event Type: Error Event Source: MSC...

Create multiple owner fields?
Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to track the users who is working with an account. I know only own owner field is supported, but is it poosible to have one owner field and custom fields using the lookup dialog to map more users? // Mats Have you looked at creating a custom entity. Then have a Many to One relationship to user and a Many to One relationship to Account. "Langer" wrote: > > > Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to > track the users who is working with an account. I know only own o...

create macro
Hi, How can I create a TWO seperate macros in a spreadsheet in Excel: there are icons/pictures which have a macro attached to it. How do I attach the macro? macro 1: to move to a different cell address like B158. macro 2: to print a certain range of cells. (say A158:G200) Thank u in advance Khalil One way: Put something like these in a regular code module: Public Sub MoveMacro() Application.GoTo .Range("B158"), Scroll:=True End Sub Public Sub PrintCertainRange() With ActiveSheet .PageSetup.PrintArea = "A158:G200" ...