Corrupt Backup

The "Microsoft Certified Computer Tech" didn't tell me he
was going to reformat my hard drive in order to change my
operating system from Windows 98SE to XP. So I lost all my
data except that which I had on my D drive or floppy.
Unfortunately, I didn't back up my current Money 2003 to
the D drive but had it on floppies. After installing Money
2003 on my C Drive, I have not been able to restore my
floppy backup which is on 4 disks. I just get this message:
'A:\My Moneybackup Backupdl.mbf' is corrupted or is not a
Money backup file.

I have looked at all the FAQs and searched the internet for
an answer on how to repair this. Apparently Money cannot
repair a mbf file.

Trying to copy this file to the C drive I get this message:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Is all lost?
0
anonymous (74719)
10/28/2003 6:18:03 PM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

"CRC Error" indicates that the problem is more fundamental than Money
doesn't understand the data. It indicates that the computer can't read the
data at all, whether for Money or any other purpose.

Imagine you trying to read, say, a Japanese language newspaper. (Assuming
you can't actually read Japanese.) That's the Money level problem.

Imagine trying to read a newspaper where all of the ink is smeared and you
can't even tell what language it is. That's a CRC Error level problem.

"Cari" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The "Microsoft Certified Computer Tech" didn't tell me he
> was going to reformat my hard drive in order to change my
> operating system from Windows 98SE to XP. So I lost all my
> data except that which I had on my D drive or floppy.
> Unfortunately, I didn't back up my current Money 2003 to
> the D drive but had it on floppies. After installing Money
> 2003 on my C Drive, I have not been able to restore my
> floppy backup which is on 4 disks. I just get this message:
> 'A:\My Moneybackup Backupdl.mbf' is corrupted or is not a
> Money backup file.
>
> I have looked at all the FAQs and searched the internet for
> an answer on how to repair this. Apparently Money cannot
> repair a mbf file.
>
> Trying to copy this file to the C drive I get this message:
> Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
>
> Is all lost?

Sounds like nothing can be recovered. What do you know
about companies like http://e-tech.ca/006-passw_recovery.asp
that will try and recover data?

0
anonymous (74719)
10/28/2003 8:09:01 PM
I have the same problem - called MS - no help - I cannot
believe My floppy became corrupt at the same time as the
application problem, And what is (cyclic redundancy
check)! Any help is appreciated RMC1218@Comcast.net

0
anonymous (74719)
10/29/2003 11:56:34 PM
CRC is an algorithm for computing a thing called a cyclic redundancy check.
It's a computed value that is a function of the data and intended to be
unique for each possible data pattern. It's an integrity check that the data
read is the same as the data written.

Believe it or not, it does happen--it's entirely possible that your floppy
didn't become corrupt at the same time as the application problem and was
corrupt from the moment you wrote it. See
http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q69.

> I have the same problem - called MS - no help - I cannot
> believe My floppy became corrupt at the same time as the
> application problem, And what is (cyclic redundancy
> check)! Any help is appreciated RMC1218@Comcast.net

Money 2000 backup restores
Purchased a new HP Pavilion with Windows Vista today. Can not get my Money 200 backup to restore. Keeps asking for a password. I never set a password or if I did, it was years ago. The backups are on the old hard drive and I am trying to transfer. Now what? In microsoft.public.money, Brenda wrote: >Purchased a new HP Pavilion with Windows Vista today. Can not get my Money >200 backup to restore. Keeps asking for a password. I never set a password or >if I did, it was years ago. The backups are on the old hard drive and I am >trying to transfer. Now what? Typically that wou...

Database corruption?
Native mode Ex2003 Standard SP1 on Win2003 in Win2003 Interim Mode domain. Many (but not all) mailboxes are reported through System Manager and through Outlook mailbox properties as being larger than they actually are. Often, a lot larger. In one case, a users Outbox folder was reported as being over 50MB when, in fact, it was empty. It also seems to be the case that for these mailboxes, users can't use Recover Deleted Items. When they select the item and click the recover button, the item disappears from Recover Deleted Items but never appears in the Deleted Items folder. The last symp...

pst backup/mirror options?
Hey all, We have a rather unique set up... Individual pc's with outlook running on them (mostly 2003) NOT connected to a domain but they are connected to a server, which the majority of users use as a file share. The server gets backed up every night, but the individual machines do not. Due to people saving on the network, the only things which really require backup are 'e-mails' i.e. outlook.pst. The most logical option is to store the pst's directly on the server and then back them up like that. However, in the even of server failure / downtime / pc needing to be out of t...

Corrupt
Is there a way to check to see if you have a corrupted excel workbook. I have one 2.5 MB and all of a sudden it takes a very long time to save. Also when I copy information from it to another it some times reformattes the whole workbook to HTML style. Is it " run MS office Diagnostics in the excell option? Or is there something else that will locate a promblem. Thanks. Dpal ...

backup/restore question
W2K, 2 Exchange 2K Enterprise servers. Can I backup the store from server1 and restore it on server2 without overwriting the existing store on server2, maybe by renaming a store, or something? I am trying this in a test environment and get a 8012 error: The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Database is in use. ' from a call to 'HrESERestoreAddDatabase()' additional data 'Mailbox Store (EX1)'"1 I tried (out of desperation, really) to create a store first on server2 with the same name as that of the backed up one, but still get the same error. Than...

OWA 2003 Issue (Attachment corruption) #3
Hello everyone, We have Front-End/Back-End configuration of Exchange 2003 Std. servers (SP2 and all hot fixes after it). So, if someone sends e-mail with attachment through OWA the attachment becomes corrupted (it has same size and name but could not be read by any application / system splits attachment and put 2 parts of it into message using the same name of file). It happens to all documents (Word, Excel, PDF) image files (JPG,GIF,PNG) are affected as well. We tried to send those files through usual MS Outlook 2003 and they go just perfect. We have McAfee Groupshield 6.02 for Exch...

Restoring my backup file
I was instructed by a rep at the number I called for warranty repair to perform a system recovery (system restore did not have any previous saves) due to this Blaster worm. At the time, neither I nor the rep I was speaking to know that this was a worm. Now my computer is back to normal (although all of my settings are gone) but I am not able to restore a previous backup of Money (2002 version). The previous files I kept are still under the Program Files\Microsoft Money directory, but when I try to access them, it says: Money cannot locate 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\Filen...

NT/ Exchange 5.5 - No PST's
Hello all quick question. We have NT servers with Exchange 5.5 running for internal only and are looking at doing away with PST and converting all users over to running off the mail server itself at the same time we are looking at no longer using a tape backup solution but either that of another drive offsite or some type of removeable hot swap typedrive. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of what to backup now that we will no longer be using .pst's and if there is anything special needed for exchange. I have yet to find anything concrete even looking at MS site. ...

Profile Backup
How can you backup the outlook profiles of multiple users on a single computer and transfer them to another pc? >-----Original Message----- >How can you backup the outlook profiles of multiple users >on a single computer and transfer them to another pc? >. >check on the MS site for a prg called PFBackup.exe. this prg will backup the PST file of the user account. if you have multiple accounts on the same machine. you will have to do each user by them self. and if there not to big you can put them on a floppy. if you are on a network then xfer them over the network ...

Fonts being corrupted
Situation: Restart computer and open Word, Excel, Power Point - no problems. Quit MS Stuff - all office 2004 Open Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. Go back and open Word, Excel, Power Point - at the optimizing font part of the startup, it pops up a dialog box something about corrupted fonts. Several fonts are said to be corrupted. Restart and all works fine. Run updates from MS website - 11.1.0 Dumped prefs in ~/library/prefs/microsoft Restarting fixes the font problems and it works fine until we opening Adobe stuff. Brian ...

repaired a corrupt mailbox store, what to do about corrupt emails
Good morning, One of our mailbox stores got corrupt last night. I went through the process of the repair, offline defrag, etc. and I have the store up and running. As result of the corruption, some of the users are experiencing mail items they can't delete/open, or the mailbox is reporting x number of unread msgs that aren't there. Most of these seem to correspond to the time the store went down. Now I have prepared the users to the idea that these messages may not be recoverable, but I don't know the best way to go about cleaning up the few users that have corrupt emai...

Tiger and font corruption.
After installing Tiger on my iMac G5, I get a message about corrupt fonts everytime I start Word. I saw a message about uninstalling before the update, so I uninstalled Office, re-installed the Tiger upgrade, and re-installed Office. Result is the same problem all over again. Does anyone have a solution? Cordially, Steven Thomas CKLS Automation Services <sthomas@ckls.org> wrote: > After installing Tiger on my iMac G5, I get a message about corrupt > fonts everytime I start Word. I saw a message about uninstalling before > the update, so I uninstalled Office, re-installed th...

Corrupted Preview Pane
Hi guys, I have MS Outlook XP w SP3, i set the view of my inbox,sent & deleted items folders so i can preview my emails using Preview Pane. The bar which seperates the email and the preview should contain the fields (To, Subject & From..). This is going fine for the inbox & sent folder while am having a corrupted bar for the deleted folder where am not able to see the frequently fields of the separation bar. Any suggestions to restore this view correctly???? -- Thx mates Walid Natour ...

Exchange 2003 backup fails after running ESEUtil /d on Exchange se
The following message is appearing in DPM after running Eseutil /d on an Exchange 2003 server to free space. My question is how does DPM handle the new priv DB? Does this now need double the free disk space in order to complete the sync job with consistency check? I cannot get the consistency check to complete now. Affected area: First Storage Group Occurred since: 1/18/2010 11:18:28 PM Description: The replica of Storage group First Storage Group on server.mydomain.com is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until...

Corrupt Outlook??
I'm having a major problem with my Outlook 2002 and can't find any reference to a similar problem. I normally have 5 different folders listed in the Folder List, each referencing a seperate pst file. Currently, there are 2 "extra" folders showing up that I did not add, nor are they listed in the Data File Management screen. One has the duplicate name of one of my existing folders (Projects), so two are now listed, and the other only has a folder icon, no name, just blank. With the duplicated Projects folder I get the following errors: - Left click: "Unable t...

.XLB file corrupted often
The excel.xlb file is getting currupted every week or so. Once replaced w. a good version things work fine for a while. Any suggestions on premenent fixes or what is possibly corrupting it. Thanks for any suggestions Hi Andrew, One possibility is some rogue VBA code which is customising menus/toolbars and not undoing its work properly. If this is the case then yoour XLB file can get larger and larger until it falls over. If you are running any VBA code or using addins check that they have a workbook_close routine that removes any changes to menus/toolbars they have made. hth Charles...

Backup backs up my backup drive
When I backup using the System State option, my existing backup file on my external Seagate E drive is also backed up. Isn't this sort of redundant? How do I get the System State backup of just my computer and exclude the backup E drive? Thanks, Peter "sduraybito" <sduraybito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12438B0B-F8ED-428B-926B-208D70AB37E5@microsoft.com > When I backup using the System State option, my existing backup file on my > external Seagate E drive is also backed up. Isn't this sort of redundant? > How do I get the System...

Corrupt MNY file Corrupt Backups
After a system crash and a reinstall I can not open any MNY or backup files. I have run Salvage.exe and was told irrepairable. I can not open the file to do and "import/export" I have ensured they are not read only. I read the public forums but most fixes assume you can open the file or the backup to repair it. Is there anyway other ways to repair my data? Not sounding good here. See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q104. But it sounds like you have exhausted most of your options. But I am kinda mystified why a "system crash" would mung a Money file. Are you sure you h...

Corrupted pointers
Hi, I am writing a dialog class which draws a customized dialog box. During construction, it allocates a "skin" object, which is then used in various message handlers to draw the frame, title bar and background. The allocation goes fine, but when the OnNcCalSize method is called, the skin pointer points to a different address, and is full of garbage! I tried calling _heapchk() in several places, but the heap is OK. What else could cause this? The app is multithreaded, though the dialog lives and works in the same thread. Thanks, -Aleko alpe, Almost anything could corrupt point...

Backup server
Hi, I have a question how to organize backup server for Greate Plains or Greate Plains Basic. I have 2 servers. There is GPB on server1. How to copy and synchronize data that I can easily switch from one server to another, if for example something happened with server1. I have 2 DNS connections on each workstation: GPB (on server1) and GPB Backup (on server2) I've tried to create replication (standard SQL Server feature) from server1 to server2, but have several problems: when something failed on server1 on trigger procedures, I can't recreate it, because replication has created additi...

Third party backup solutions
Can someone recommend a reliable (and preferably free) third party back-up software, which can do a back-up according to a set schedule and in the background? I tried Memeo's backup software, but it is just a lousy product Blake Kaos wrote: > Can someone recommend a reliable (and preferably free) third party > back-up software, which can do a back-up according to a set schedule and > in the background? I tried Memeo's backup software, but it is just a > lousy product What's wrong with Vista's backup system? Nothing "wrong" per se; but ...

How to Recover Deleted or Corrupted Excel Files?
Excel files could possibly get corrupt at any moment. Just images that you are seriously working on a critical MS Excel document and your computer turn off by itself unexpectedly. And when you reboot it, you cannot open this important excel document again or even the Microsoft Excel program fails to open. How can I get back excel file or recover excel program? There are occasions when MS excel request instantly recovers the unexpected closed document using the support of vehicle recover choice as well as your file is saved before it got corrupted. But what occurs while you cannot open your ex...

Email, Remote Access, & Backup issues
I setup a new SBS2k3 Standard for a client that was all peer-to-peer I'm new to this myself. Here are some issues/questions i was having 1) Each client, not all, just some, have personal email accounts, pop3. Using the wizard, i told it to not change email settings. This works great, i setup the pop3 accounts and hit send recieve, getting all their mail. Sending is another problem though. All sent email sends out from domain.local, even though Outlook is configured for each individual mailbox. Also, they can't send to certain domains, seems mostly to be personal domains...

HQ Server crashed, no backup, suggestions?
Pretty much the worst case scenario has happened. Primary hard drive in a raid 1 array failed. Called hardware vendor for warranty support as system was still not booting even though the failed drive was degraded. Took the second supposedly working drive out and installed it into an external usb hard drive enclosure to backup the data before proceeding with the hardware vendor's technician. The drive has no data on it and windows asks me if I want to format it. What exactly happened here? The server has an ide raid controller built into the motherboard so it was being raided via har...

Backup strategy on Exchange 2010?
Hi We are planing for a migration from exchange 2003 to exchange 2010. Today we have a front end/back end solution. We have about 100 mailboxes on our exchange 2003 server. I guess that 100 mailboxes isn't a big deal for a exchange 2010 server. I plan on installing all the requiring roles on one single exchange 2010 server. What I'm curious is how you other people think about having a single exchange 2010 server for 100 mailboxes and what backup strategy (software) should I use for this? Thanks in advance /Birger, Sweden Dear Birger 100 user on one box ...