Calculations

Simple question.

I am using the trial version of MS Money. I've been using Quicken for 10
years so I understand financial products. My question is does this product
calculate the difference between yesterdays stock or mutual fund prices
versus todays prices?
It appears that it does but if I go back to a day other than todays date and
try to see what the daily change is, there is no data other than the current
dates data. Plus over this past week-end, I kept seeing Fridays change on
Saturday and then on Sunday but only on Stocks and not Mutual Funds. If you
wish to contact me direct, please e-mail me at ygold6@zoominternet.net so
that I may be able to actually talk to a live person who understands this
product.
Thank you
 Bill
0
ygold6 (4)
1/28/2008 10:21:01 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, ygold6 wrote:

>Simple question.
>
>I am using the trial version of MS Money. I've been using Quicken for 10
>years so I understand financial products. My question is does this product
>calculate the difference between yesterdays stock or mutual fund prices
>versus todays prices?

No. It downloads them.

>It appears that it does but if I go back to a day other than todays date and
>try to see what the daily change is, there is no data other than the current
>dates data. Plus over this past week-end, I kept seeing Fridays change on
>Saturday and then on Sunday but only on Stocks and not Mutual Funds.

I suggest you configure in the total return for the past week
column. That is shown as a percent, and it will be the closest
available when you go back to a historical date. Total return
includes price change and dividends.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
1/28/2008 10:47:57 PM
Cal,
Do you mean to tell me that this product does not maintain daily gains and
losses for historical purposes?. Also is there a difference between this
product and MS Money 2007 an what do you mean with "Configure" in the total
return.
Thank you. Bill

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, ygold6 wrote:
>
> >Simple question.
> >
> >I am using the trial version of MS Money. I've been using Quicken for 10
> >years so I understand financial products. My question is does this product
> >calculate the difference between yesterdays stock or mutual fund prices
> >versus todays prices?
>
> No. It downloads them.
>
> >It appears that it does but if I go back to a day other than todays date and
> >try to see what the daily change is, there is no data other than the current
> >dates data. Plus over this past week-end, I kept seeing Fridays change on
> >Saturday and then on Sunday but only on Stocks and not Mutual Funds.
>
> I suggest you configure in the total return for the past week
> column. That is shown as a percent, and it will be the closest
> available when you go back to a historical date. Total return
> includes price change and dividends.

0
ygold6 (4)
1/30/2008 12:22:35 AM
In microsoft.public.money, ygold6 wrote:

>Do you mean to tell me that this product does not maintain daily gains and
>losses for historical purposes?.

I will tell you Money maintains daily prices for historical
purposes. It does not have a function to do the subtraction, but
only downloads the difference. The difference for "today" is that it
takes into account going ex-dividend in computing the difference.

Example:
FSP closed 28 Jan 2008 at $14.60.
$0.31 dividend was ex dividend 29 Jan.
Closed at $14.00. Change on 29 Jan is $0.29 rather than the 0.60
that subtraction would give.

 But, as you have found, the portfolio does not show change amounts
when you select a past AsOf date. So it could still have been
designed look for dividends and compute a number for the past. It
doesn't.

> Also is there a difference between this
>product and MS Money 2007 an what do you mean with "Configure" in the total
>return.

Money Plus and Money 2007 have the same Total Return columns to
select from.

By configure in total returns, I mean click
ChangePortfolioView->CustomizeCurrentView->PortfolioColumns

Select each of the seven TotalReturn items, and click Add.  Also
select TotalAnnualizedReturn.  These will give a better view
of how each of your investments have been performing.  You can
reorder them by selecting one in the DisplayedColumns and choosing
MoveUp or MoveDown.  You may want to select CostBasis.  That column
is very meaningful for non-deferred accounts, but you should not
care about that column for a 401K.

When done, you can do SaveAs.  Money will ask for a name for that
view.  Then you will be able to select that view with SelectView in
the upper-left of the portfolio.  Alternatively, click Save, and
the view that was in effect when you clicked CustomizeCurrentView
will be modified.

You can also reorder and resize columns by dragging the column
headings while viewing a portfolio.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
1/30/2008 1:35:23 AM
 Actually, I believe you can get Money to calculate the change for any given
day by using the performance reports.  Provided that you have downloaded the
closing price for a given stock for the day and previous day in question, you
can generate a report with a date range of just one day (e.g. January 30 to
January 30).  Provided you have downloaded the closing price for January 29,
the report will show you % Rate of Return and the actual dollar return for
January 30.  It will not, however, give you the dollar and cent change in the
share price.  You could create a watch account with a single share for each
stock to get the change in share price for any given day.

"ygold6" wrote:

> Simple question.
>
> I am using the trial version of MS Money. I've been using Quicken for 10
> years so I understand financial products. My question is does this product
> calculate the difference between yesterdays stock or mutual fund prices
> versus todays prices?
> It appears that it does but if I go back to a day other than todays date and
> try to see what the daily change is, there is no data other than the current
> dates data. Plus over this past week-end, I kept seeing Fridays change on
> Saturday and then on Sunday but only on Stocks and not Mutual Funds. If you
> wish to contact me direct, please e-mail me at ygold6@zoominternet.net so
> that I may be able to actually talk to a live person who understands this
> product.
> Thank you
>  Bill
0
Wally (164)

Calculating US Payroll
I am trying to run a payroll but after building and removing the build several times, I am getting an error when I try to calculate "Checks cannot be caluclated errors were found when building the checks" I have tried to delete and use new transactions and batches and rebuild and recalculate but no luck. There are no errors showing when building the checks. It appears it is 'stuck' Any thoughts? Hi Debra-- Have you been through the payroll scripts that clear the work tables? It may be that something is stuck out there. There is KB article #851664 that deals wit...

tenure calculations

Time Sheet Calculations
I am trying to create a time sheet for our payroll department. However our company rounds the time worked. For instance if an employee i scheduled to work 7 am to 5 pm, but doesn't leave until 5:06 p.m. The the employee would receive 10.1 hours of pay. On the other hand, if th employee was to leave work at 5:04 pm., then the employee would onl receive 10 hours of pay. I am attaching what I have so far for the time sheet. The trouble are is Colum H, rows 7-13. Please, anyone I really need help with this. I have been drivin myself crazy for two weeks!!! Thanks in advance for any hel...

referring to calculated field on form
This was the initial problem... >I am trying to determine insurance rebates. The rebate is prorated. I have a >calculate field on my form that has the formula for determining the amount of >the rebate based on coverage, years worked etc but I need to multiply this >amount by the actual number of health premium payments each person made >over a 6 mo. period. I have a subform that shows the 6 month history of activity >on the accounts. One record per month. Some people have health ins., some life, >some both etc.. Some people join during the 6 mo. period - some leave. The...

Formulas for race game (position calculation after each round)
Hi. I have a worksheet like the following: Player's Name-----Round1(R1)-----R2-----R3...-----Total Score====Position after R1-----Pos.(R2)-----Pos.(R3)... Position is calculated based on the score accumalted (the more scores, the better) so far. Eg: Postion after R1 depends on score got in R1. Position after R2 depends on score got in R1 & R2. Position after R3 depends on score got in R1 & R2 & R3. Q: What formulas should I use to calculate the positions up to different rounds? I think I can use RANK functions, but it seems I need to set SUM formulas to calculate total scores...

Need Help for Desirability Calculator (moving squares with numbers around)
Hi, I'm new to this forum and don't know much about excel. I want to make desirability calculator wich is related to a game. In the game ther are structures and each structure has a desirability affect on it environment. When a few structures are placed next to each other it' too tedious work to calculate their total affect. I hope the attachment will be clear enough to show what I want to do. There are around 30 structures but as an example I have shown th desirability affect of two of them; an oracle and a garden. When yo open the file you will see these two structures and thei...

Average Lead Time Calculation
I understand that the average lead time is calculated as follows: [(Number of Receipts) * (Average Lead Time) + (Received Date - Ordered Date)] / (Number of Receipts + 1) Is this an ongoing calculation for the life of the item? Or, does it get reset at year-end? It is my understanding that this field is not cleared. The longer you run a running weighted average calculation like this the more accurate it becomes and less nervous or subject to single excessive variances (one big late delivery that is not typical, for example) -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP http://...

Calculate the function in a cell that is created with CONCATENATE
Background .... $G$1 = a list $L$6 = =CONCATENATE(RIGHT(E1,2)," Q") $M$6 = A7:K78 $N$6 = =CONCATENATE("'",L6,"'",M6) I built a formula with the concatenate function: =CONCATENATE("=VLOOKUP(G1,",N6,",2,FALSE)") That produces the desired formula: =VLOOKUP(G1,'AG Q'!A7:K78,2,FALSE) But, that output function does not calculate unless I go into the cell and F2 F9. Is there a way to have Excel perform that function automatically? -- Matt N16 contains a string that looks like a formula. Consider this very ...

Need help calculating formula!
I have a spreadsheet created that have numerous cell entries with different values in each cell. Like a price list. What I've been trying to do was create a formula to add $50 to each cell entry amount without having to manual add $50 to each entry. I've searched Microsoft Excel help files and I can't find anything to help unless I don't know what I'm looking for and that could be the case. I need to take say the cell value of B5 (which is say 135 and then add 50 to it) I want to then be able to apply to entire column. Can someone help me out? THANKS! Hi Brita, in...

Suppress printing group footer using Calculated field(s)
I think I already know the answer but, will ask just to be absolutely sure. I have a report. 2 tables PART and TRANSACTIONS and need to do some comparisons to output to a report differences that need to be fixed in the PART table. From The TRANS table I have QTY ( quantity of parts purchased), COSTED_QTY (QTY of parts that have been used on a work order) MATERIAL_$ (total purchase price of QTY). The calculated fields in the Detail part of the report are (Field 1) = MATERIAL_$ / QTY (Giving me the cost per unit of the parts), (Field 2) = QTY - COSTED_QTY (Giving me the QTY on...

Crosstab calculating dates to days
Hello All Please assist. I need to create a crosstab query that will count patient visits between 2 dates in the table. dates: report rundate - visit date clinic id 1-2 days 3 -7 days 10-30 days 30+ 6 10 50 60 Thanks TRANSFORM Nz(COUNT(*), 0) SELECT clinicID FROM tableName GROUP BY clinicID PIVOT CHOOSE( visitDate>=date()-2, "1-2 days", visitDate >= date()-9, "3-9 days", visitDate >= date()-30, "10-30 days", true, "30+") Note that you were having a &#...

Newbie: can't get a calculated value on the form?
I have a table with numbers and a form that shows the numbers. I have a query that takes one of the numbers and mulitplies it. I put a text box on the form from the query result field, but I get a "#Name" error instead of the result. When I run the query, I get the correct result. Help, please? Ed "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d1e7d27c-11d9-4696-8d19-4c5fdd9dbb89@d70g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... >I have a table with numbers and a form that shows the numbers. I have > a query that takes one of the numbers and mulitplies it. I p...

Calculate Total hours worked during workdays within given shift time.
Hi, i am trying to calculate using VBA, the no of shift hours worked per day. each day hours =9 hrs. shift starttime =9:00 am & shift endtime=6:00 pm.(total 9 hrs in a day) e.g: === I got some work on Thursday 5:00 PM and if we finish it on Friday 6:00 PM than it will be considered as 1 Day 1 hour job thursday - 6:00 PM-5:00 PM=1hr friday - 6:00 PM-9:00 AM=9 hrs total=10 hrs or 1 Day 1 hour Things to be considered while writing the code: 1 Day = (9 AM to 6:00 PM) - that's our shift timing. *** Weekends should be excluded (for ex: if we got some work on Friday 5:00 PM) and we fini...

Calculation for Available Qty
I have a Retail chain of about 40 + stores that use Inventory transfers to move stock from warehouses to the stores. However when stores use the check stores function the available Qty does not include the transfer Qty therefore the stores beleive that there is more stock in the warehouse than is currently the case. Once the items are picked and issued its ok, but this could be a 4 day turn around. How can we change the availability Qty to include the transfer qty ? ...

Formula for calculating Variance
I need help with formulas to calculate the percentage of variance between planned miles and actual miles driven by drivers at several different locations. I am given the miles per location daily. I need to calculate weekly percentage per location. Then YTD percentage per local, then total for all locals, then YTD for all locals. Can someone help me? -- Lori Lynn ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lori Lynn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25565 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?th...

Formula to calculate % using negative values
(this post may appear twice as I am unable to locate my original post) Greetings, I'm hoping someone may be able to help me. I have developed a workbook to track my portfolio on a weekly basis. One component of my portfolio is my "Line of Credit" which always contain negative values. For example, last week I had a -$5,000 balance and this week I have a -$6,000 balance. The week over week change is -$1,000 or -20%. Presently, my workbook correctly reflects the -$1,000 weekly change but shows the percentage change as a positive (rather than negative) 20% wee...

MS Access 2007: Calculated field based on subform:
Hello: As part of a review assignment, I have been tasked with adding a calculated field to a form that will count the number of items listed in the associated subform. The subform is based on the table "tblProduct", and is a subform named "frmProductSubform". The Parent table is named "tblCompany". The tables are related by ProductID, and CustomerID fields. The fields included in the subform are: ProductID, ProductType, Price, and Unit. I am trying to create a calculated field based on the subform that will count the number of line items in th...

Calculate number of days in a column of dates
Hi, I have a sheet with a column "Day" where the production date is introduced for each mouvement (5-1-04; 6-1-04, 6,2,04...) along the year (those days can be repeated according to the production). I need to calculate how many days of production there is by month and by year. Can somebody help me???? Tks. Barbara Hi Barbara, A bit more detail please. Does a cell in that column contain many dates or just 1? If the former, give an example of how you would manually calculate the production days with say 3 dates in the cell, and how the dates are differentiated. If the latter, w...

Calculations in Group Footer
I know this is very basic, but I can be dense a lot of the time. I have a report that shows the following: Name, Department, Employee ID, Compliance 1, Compliance 2, Compliance 3, Compliance 4. In my report I need it to have a page break after each change in Department. This I managed. But I also need it to calculate percentages. In each of the Compliance columns the field is either Null or Yes. I need a percentage of yes. In other words Countif(d2:d34)/count(c2:c34) Where d=Compliance 1 and c=Employee ID I've added these to the group footer but no luck. I used the...

pivot with calculated date
Hi All I have a pivot table which I want to break the data down into month and year. The data in the main spreadsheet is in day, month and year. So far I have used the Month (field) and year (field) to translate the month data within the original source file and then run the pivot table. Is it possible to do this calculation within the Pivot table - I have tried the inserting a calculated field but this will not allow me to put the drop column fields here - Any help greatly appreciated Cheers Rexmann PS I am using Excel 2003 Hi, If you put the Year field in the Row area and the M...

Add Calculation Field In Query
I hv this sql SELECT Qtskssubcat2.BRNCD, Qtskssubcat2.BRANCH, Qtskssubcat2.SUBCATDESC2, Sum(Qtskssubcat2.Netbal1MIA) AS SumOfNetbal1MIA, Sum(Qtskssubcat2.Netbal2MIA) AS SumOfNetbal2MIA, Sum(Qtskssubcat2.Netbal3MIA) AS SumOfNetbal3MIA, Sum(Qtskssubcat2.Netbal4MIA) AS SumOfNetbal4MIA, Sum(Qtskssubcat2.Netbal5MIA) AS SumOfNetbal5MIA, Sum(Qprevmthsubcat2.Netbal1MIA) AS SumOfNetbal1MIA1, Sum(Qprevmthsubcat2.Netbal2MIA) AS SumOfNetbal2MIA1, Sum(Qprevmthsubcat2.Netbal3MIA) AS SumOfNetbal3MIA1, Sum(Qprevmthsubcat2.Netbal4MIA) AS SumOfNetbal4MIA1, Sum(Qprevmthsubcat2.Netbal5MIA) AS S...

Manual Calculation in Excel 2007 with Calculate mode set to Automatic
Hello, I'm desperate to understand why some of my s/s are in manual calculation mode even though the options are set to Automatic calculation. I have checked under Excel's options and the formula bar to confirm calculation mode and cannot make the s/s change to automatic. Any advice? Julie try saving the workbook after you make the change "Julie White" wrote: > Hello, > > I'm desperate to understand why some of my s/s are in manual > calculation mode even though the options are set to Automatic > calculation. I have checked under Exce...

calculating clock times
if i enter "7:00 am in one cell and 5:45 pm in another cell, what formula do in enter in another cell to caluclate the time? On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 11:04:01 -0800, gma <gma@mircosoft.com> wrote: >if i enter "7:00 am in one cell and 5:45 pm in another cell, what formula do >in enter in another cell to caluclate the time? If the first cell is A1 and the other cell is A2, try the following formula in a third cell: =A2-A1 Format the third cell to display the time difference the way you like. Hope this helps / Lars-�ke hi do you mean subtract or add?? ...

Calculator
(For a WinXP machine in fact and yes i can search for one myself) But just in case one of you know a good one to suggest for a person with poor eye-sight. Needed; a simple Calculator program with large or adjustable display & keys. No need for it to include advanced science options. -- Nah-ah. I'm staying out of this. ... Now, here's my opinion. Please followup in the newsgroup. E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control. Try Moffsoft 'FreeCalc' at :- http://www.moffsoft.com/ Just stretch the window and the keys etc. expand with it. On...

Annual return calculation hosed vs. me being stupid
I need to know which. I've been trying to transfer an IRA account from an old financial institution that doesn't have online services to a new one that does. If I follow explicitly the instructions MS gives to do this, I lose the transaction history and cost basis of the underlying investments. It simply sets up a new account. If I set up a transfer instead, I keep the cost basis and it's accurate, but I find I'm now earning an average annual return of around 3000% on the underlying mutual funds... the small cap fund is booming along nicely at 52000%. Needless to say I...