Balances in Investment Account Don't Match Reality - How to Correct?

Folks,

How to change the account details in an investment account (IRA) where
the some of the quantities of shares don't match the account?  I don't
see easy way to "correct", vs. Add Shares, Transfer, etc.  I don't want
to delete the account (to avoid having history disappear),
0
rmschne1 (174)
12/12/2005 6:49:00 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Well, the first thing to do is probably to figure out where the difference
came from. Is downloaded data involved? Also, what's wrong with Add/Remove
Shares?

"Rob Schneider" <rmschne@removetheones_b1e1e1b.net.net> wrote in message
> How to change the account details in an investment account (IRA) where the
> some of the quantities of shares don't match the account?  I don't see
> easy way to "correct", vs. Add Shares, Transfer, etc.  I don't want to
> delete the account (to avoid having history disappear),

Dick,

It's an IRA invesemtn account in Money 2006.  The difference is the
number of shares in a cash-equivalent security (e.g. $1.00/share). I may
be thick but I can't find the Add Shares option.  I did try the "Update
retirement account" function.  PUt in the exact number of shares for all
securities held. It detected the differnce in the cash amount.  I told
it to "adjust contributions in Money to equal the statement" which
resulsted in going down by the delta.  The ending balance on the dialog
box was exactly as the statement.  Press "finish", but the balance
reported by Money is still off.  Didn't seem to include the correction.
  Sigh. (I'm not a rookie at Money .... using various versions since
late 1990's).

Dick Watson wrote:
> Well, the first thing to do is probably to figure out where the difference
> came from. Is downloaded data involved? Also, what's wrong with Add/Remove
> Shares?
>
> "Rob Schneider" <rmschne@removetheones_b1e1e1b.net.net> wrote in message
>
>>How to change the account details in an investment account (IRA) where the
>>some of the quantities of shares don't match the account?  I don't see
>>easy way to "correct", vs. Add Shares, Transfer, etc.  I don't want to
>>delete the account (to avoid having history disappear),

0
rmschne1 (174)
12/13/2005 7:37:21 AM
Update retirement account has NEVER worked for declines in value. Who knows
why?

So 1) we are talking about some cash held in the investment account and you
have an investment representing the cash? And 2) the reason the difference
has accumulated is not worth fixing now, you just want to get the correct
balance? In the investment account, enter a transaction for this investment.
Besides Buy and Sell, two of the investment transaction options should be
Add Shares and Remove Shares. Use the appropriate one in the dollar/share
amount of the difference.

> It's an IRA invesemtn account in Money 2006.  The difference is the number
> of shares in a cash-equivalent security (e.g. $1.00/share). I may be thick
> but I can't find the Add Shares option.  I did try the "Update retirement
> account" function.  PUt in the exact number of shares for all securities
> held. It detected the differnce in the cash amount.  I told it to "adjust
> contributions in Money to equal the statement" which resulsted in going
> down by the delta.  The ending balance on the dialog box was exactly as
> the statement.  Press "finish", but the balance reported by Money is still
> off.  Didn't seem to include the correction. Sigh. (I'm not a rookie at
> Money .... using various versions since late 1990's).

Dick,

Thanks.  I wasn't awareof this long-time bug ... guess I gotta read this
newsgroup more carefully!

Your right, I don't care why ... just want balances to be about the same
and now they are way off.

thanks,
rms

Dick Watson wrote:
> Update retirement account has NEVER worked for declines in value. Who knows
> why?
>
> So 1) we are talking about some cash held in the investment account and you
> have an investment representing the cash? And 2) the reason the difference
> has accumulated is not worth fixing now, you just want to get the correct
> balance? In the investment account, enter a transaction for this investment.
> Besides Buy and Sell, two of the investment transaction options should be
> Add Shares and Remove Shares. Use the appropriate one in the dollar/share
> amount of the difference.
>
> "Rob Schneider" <rmschne@removetheones_b1e1e1b.net.net> wrote in message
>
>>It's an IRA invesemtn account in Money 2006.  The difference is the number
>>of shares in a cash-equivalent security (e.g. $1.00/share). I may be thick
>>but I can't find the Add Shares option.  I did try the "Update retirement
>>account" function.  PUt in the exact number of shares for all securities
>>held. It detected the differnce in the cash amount.  I told it to "adjust
>>contributions in Money to equal the statement" which resulsted in going
>>down by the delta.  The ending balance on the dialog box was exactly as
>>the statement.  Press "finish", but the balance reported by Money is still
>>off.  Didn't seem to include the correction. Sigh. (I'm not a rookie at
>>Money .... using various versions since late 1990's).

0
rmschne1 (174)
12/13/2005 8:09:49 PM
Dick,

Now some negative "Contributions" are stuck in there... can't see this
as a transaction. I've never contributed (or at least in yearss) and
haven't withdrawn.  How to remove? Know?

Rob Schneider wrote:
> Dick,
>
> Thanks.  I wasn't awareof this long-time bug ... guess I gotta read this
> newsgroup more carefully!
>
> Your right, I don't care why ... just want balances to be about the same
> and now they are way off.
>
> thanks,
> rms
>
> Dick Watson wrote:
>
>> Update retirement account has NEVER worked for declines in value. Who
>> knows why?
>>
>> So 1) we are talking about some cash held in the investment account
>> and you have an investment representing the cash? And 2) the reason
>> the difference has accumulated is not worth fixing now, you just want
>> to get the correct balance? In the investment account, enter a
>> transaction for this investment. Besides Buy and Sell, two of the
>> investment transaction options should be Add Shares and Remove Shares.
>> Use the appropriate one in the dollar/share amount of the difference.
>>
>> "Rob Schneider" <rmschne@removetheones_b1e1e1b.net.net> wrote in
>> message news:OMEJPg7$FHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>
>>> It's an IRA invesemtn account in Money 2006.  The difference is the
>>> number of shares in a cash-equivalent security (e.g. $1.00/share). I
>>> may be thick but I can't find the Add Shares option.  I did try the
>>> "Update retirement account" function.  PUt in the exact number of
>>> shares for all securities held. It detected the differnce in the cash
>>> amount.  I told it to "adjust contributions in Money to equal the
>>> statement" which resulsted in going down by the delta.  The ending
>>> balance on the dialog box was exactly as the statement.  Press
>>> "finish", but the balance reported by Money is still off.  Didn't
>>> seem to include the correction. Sigh. (I'm not a rookie at Money ....
>>> using various versions since late 1990's).

0
rmschne1 (174)
12/14/2005 5:13:35 AM
Say no when the wizard asks you if you want to adjust the account balance.
That step screws up everything.

Susan

> Dick,
>
> Thanks.  I wasn't awareof this long-time bug ... guess I gotta read this
> newsgroup more carefully!
>
> Your right, I don't care why ... just want balances to be about the same
> and now they are way off.
>
> thanks,
> rms
>
> Dick Watson wrote:
>> Update retirement account has NEVER worked for declines in value. Who
>> knows why?
>>
>> So 1) we are talking about some cash held in the investment account and
>> you have an investment representing the cash? And 2) the reason the
>> difference has accumulated is not worth fixing now, you just want to get
>> the correct balance? In the investment account, enter a transaction for
>> this investment. Besides Buy and Sell, two of the investment transaction
>> options should be Add Shares and Remove Shares. Use the appropriate one
>> in the dollar/share amount of the difference.
>>
>> "Rob Schneider" <rmschne@removetheones_b1e1e1b.net.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>It's an IRA invesemtn account in Money 2006.  The difference is the
>>>number of shares in a cash-equivalent security (e.g. $1.00/share). I may
>>>be thick but I can't find the Add Shares option.  I did try the "Update
>>>retirement account" function.  PUt in the exact number of shares for all
>>>securities held. It detected the differnce in the cash amount.  I told it
>>>to "adjust contributions in Money to equal the statement" which resulsted
>>>in going down by the delta.  The ending balance on the dialog box was
>>>exactly as the statement.  Press "finish", but the balance reported by
>>>Money is still off.  Didn't seem to include the correction. Sigh. (I'm
>>>not a rookie at Money .... using various versions since late 1990's).

Well, I'd just delete them. But I'm not clear on what's in the contributions
account and what's in the investment account. IF the account summary
balances for shares are right and the cash/contributions account is off,
then deleting the additions should be OK.

Are you saying the Remove Shares transaction you entered--no Wizard--added
some transaction to the contributions account?

The Wizard is useless and hopelessly broken. Avoid it.

> Now some negative "Contributions" are stuck in there... can't see this as
> a transaction. I've never contributed (or at least in yearss) and haven't
> withdrawn.  How to remove? Know?

Dick,

I guess I am saying that using the Wizard added the contributions. I'm
not sure.  I don't recall seeing that on the list of "investments", but
maybe it was there.  I also don't see any "contributions" in the
transactions list to enable deleting it.  I removed shares equal to the
exact number I needed to bring the account into balance, and it shot to
far negative due to the negative "contributions".

This is weird.

Dick Watson wrote:
> Well, I'd just delete them. But I'm not clear on what's in the contributions
> account and what's in the investment account. IF the account summary
> balances for shares are right and the cash/contributions account is off,
> then deleting the additions should be OK.
>
> Are you saying the Remove Shares transaction you entered--no Wizard--added
> some transaction to the contributions account?
>
> The Wizard is useless and hopelessly broken. Avoid it.
>
> "Rob Schneider" <rmschne@removetheones_b1e1e1b.net.net> wrote in message
>
>>Now some negative "Contributions" are stuck in there... can't see this as
>>a transaction. I've never contributed (or at least in yearss) and haven't
>>withdrawn.  How to remove? Know?

0
rmschne1 (174)
12/15/2005 7:14:05 AM
I'd bet the wizard put them there, too. I'd remove them and forget the
wizard exists. Here's what I do: On the Investment Account, Account Summary
page, at the bottom left, there is a thing called Account Update. It does
what the wizard is supposed to do with a whole lot less hand holding and it
works. I use it to get the number of units $1 units of my 401k investments
to match the plan changes in value--since the plan doesn't provide quotes
directly nor unit values uniformly. It just lets you put in a current number
of shares/dollar value for each of the investments and the cash portion and
then adds Add/Remove Share and Account Adjustment transactions fit to match.
But beware: even this is too good to be true in M05/6. Previous versions did
these relative to the balance for the date you entered the data. Post dated
transactions were ignored for the amount/balance. (I post-date 401k
transactions since my plan has some dwell time from when the cash leaves my
paycheck until it gets into the 401k account.) M05/M06 adjust the final
account balance even if there's a future transaction for ten years from now
in the registers.

> I guess I am saying that using the Wizard added the contributions. I'm not
> sure.  I don't recall seeing that on the list of "investments", but maybe
> it was there.  I also don't see any "contributions" in the transactions
> list to enable deleting it.  I removed shares equal to the exact number I
> needed to bring the account into balance, and it shot to far negative due
> to the negative "contributions".
>
> This is weird.

AP Trial Balance Report Issue
We have a GP 10 SP1 install that out of the blue, the AP TB report with options report had two vendors that when the report printed - it left blank pages and even printed the summary for the two vendors on top of the report headers. We have done everthing from check links to reconcile to drop the PM00400 to recreate the Rerports.DIC even though this is not a modified report. Any suggestions? ...

Impossible to balance
I`m trying to download and the balance my American express account. But when I reconcile all transactions it won`t balance for an amount equal to the diference between the 2 amounts "whay you owed last month" and "what you owe now" that I entered in the dialog box. If I force to balance, it says that the starting balance is not the same in my registers and the one Money calculated! Is someone experienceing the same problem? >-----Original Message----- >I`m trying to download and the balance my American >express account. But when I reconcile all transactio...

Disabling an account?
Hi Gang, One of my volunteer projects has an exchange server running on W2K Server/AD. Unforunately, my company doesn't run Exchange. (I know, get out of the dark ages, etc). Simple question, when I disable the user in AD does that disable the exchange account as well? Thanks for the help, Nick yes Thanks, 'Preciate it. "Wim." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F6982C1-C1C6-49E3-8501-941DAD19AE8B@microsoft.com... > yes That's not my experience (at least with Exchange 5.5). My routine for creating new accounts is: - Create A...

Aged Trial Balance & Last Payment Info
Is it possible to get the last payment date and amount put on the aged trial balance - receivables management? I have found the last payment date and last payment amount fields listed in the Global Fields section of the RM_Customer_MSTR table but am not able to drag it onto the report. I am guessing that it has to be done with VB, but I am not sure where to find the data. Can anyone help with this? "Lyle" wrote: > Is it possible to get the last payment date and amount put on the aged trial > balance - receivables management? Lyle: Its in RM00103 - RM Customer Master...

Access a Share with an "impersonation" account
I have done some research on this but so far all I have found is how to setup an impersonation account on an IIs server and access it via an ASP.NET app. We have a need to set up a network share, restrict all regular users from even seeing any files that may be in there withthe Windows browser, but have an app that any of these users may run that can see and access files in that file share. I know there has to be a way to do this. I would appreciate any advice. Joe Cool wrote: > I have done some research on this but so far all I have found is how > to setup an impersonati...

Difference between balance due on statement and balance due in system?
A client of mine had a recent server mishap that caused them to lose 3 months of sales data. Fortunately, they keep paper records of customer charges and were able to adjust the customer balances accordingly. This worked for most of the statements. However, there is a small group that is really throwing me for a loop. This group of statements is printing a new balance due that is completely different than the balance due as listed in the customer manager. The difference between the correct amount and the mis-print is exactly the amount listed as "Previous Balance" on the statement. ...

HELP with adding email accounts
I have Outlook 2000 and I am trying to add email accounts for my various businesses. I can add one and the other two give me the error message 0x800ccc0d. I run Windows XP and I am on DSL. Can anyone advise? Hi Wendy, WORKAROUND To work around this problem, use one of the following methods, depending on your situation. Method 1: Confirm that your e-mail server settings are correct For information about the correct settings for your e-mail server, contact your Internet service provider (ISP) or system administrator. Note Some ISPs do not permit message routing through another SMTP ser...

Excel 2003 will not open html file correctly
I can not get Excel 2003 to load the following website properly. It works in Excel 97 and Excel 2000. http://quicktake.morningstar.com/Fund/PrintReport.asp?Country=USA&Symbol=VTRIX&PN=FEES ...

Contacts work for Accounts not contacts
Is there a way to limit the Parent Customer field on the Contact form so that it only allows Accounts to be chosen? We don't want the capability to allow Contacts to have Sub-Contacts - but it does not seem possible to hide the Sub-Contacts item in the contacts form left hand menu. Helen; Could you create a new custom entity [Companies or something like that] to use instead of Accounts? then create a relationship between Companies and Contacts and have the lookup on the contact form be to the Companies object, rather than Accounts (remove the parent account lookup field from the ...

How to handle 401k Account?
I have a 401k account. Each paycheck has an automatic deduction, a lump sum that is taken out and put into my 401k account. Each time I record my paycheck in Money, I use the itemized deduction form that shows Before and After Tax Deductions. I record the 401k deduction as a Before Tax Deduction - it is listed as a Transfer to Janney Montgomery Scott (my broker). I had set up JMS as a 401k account in money. Here's the problem: in reality, JMS divides that lump sum into several investment transactions and I don't know how to handle it. I have been going to the website of my...

Previous Balance on the Customer Balance
Hello, I have a request from a client, where they want to print at the top of their customer statement the previous balance from the prior month customer statement. Thanks, Scott ...

Deleted investments #2
Every time I try to use an investment name that I deleted a while ago, I'm told I can't use it again. Is there some way to "empty" the "deleted investments" folder? Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, davenc wrote: >Every time I try to use an investment name that I deleted a while ago, I'm >told I can't use it again. Is there some way to "empty" the "deleted >investments" folder? Thanks! Undelete it by entering a fake dividend for the investment. Then blank out its symbol, and change the name to something you will not wa...

Start balancing the account after many months of not balancing
I am trying to start balancing my money account after a couple of years of not doing so. I stopped one month because of a problem in the download from the bank and I've never been able to get it straightened out since. I would love to just accept what the bank says I have (it is at least real close to the truth) and start anew from some recent monthly statement. The alternative of closing the account and opening a new one just seems too extreame for the circumstances. Can anybody tell me how to get back into balance? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, bballard wrote: >I am trying...

Account association and monitored email address one more time
I have changed the monitored email to Kay@discussions.microsoft.com since the last time I was in contact with Todd Berger to keep my real email private, just as he asked since the last contact. It has been a month or two. Now I just changed back to my real email account, but on reading Todd's past posts, I decided to keep it at Kay@discussions.microsoft.com, which should show according to our past communication. If Todd is reading this, please confirm within 24hours. .....Since it might take another 24 hours for my changes to take effect even though I had changed back to the same ...

Account Accurals
I'm trying to calculate my future pension benefit. The account earns interest and compensation credits annually. The interest function I can project, but how do I include the annual compensation credits which are based on my age on December 31 each year. Example: Age 20-24, it's 2% of my annual earnings, Age 25-39 is 3%, Age 40-44 is 4%, etc. Is there a function to handle this or must I create a row for each year, then duplicate the formula for each row until my retirement age? The built-in function FV, has a Payment argument, but it assumes the payments are equal. I your c...

What are the correct steps to configure RPC over HTTP for a single server, SBS 2003, environment?
I have a SBS 2003 single server domain and am attempting to configure RPC over HTTP, however, the options within the Exchange environment don't appear to make sense: 1) Front-end server -- by the provided description this is not the proper selection (there is no back-end server; there is no other server period), [additionally, this option is greyed out] 2) Back-end server -- by the same "logic" for why this cannot be a Front-end server, this selection doesn't seem to be the right choice either -- there is no other server taking on the Front-end server role. 3) This option is ...

Matching Data 03-10-10
Hi I have two sheets in a single workbook I want to look up where data in sheet 1 Column A matches the data and sheet 2 Column A and where there is a match bring the relevant data from Sheet 2 Column H and place it into Column H on Sheet 1. I think this is a Lookup, but cannot get the syntax right. Any help much appreciated thanks Alex In cell H1 on Sheet 1 put the following formula, adjusting the lookup range accordingly and then copy down =VLOOKUP(A1,'Sheet 2'!A1:H200,8,FALSE) "Alex Hammerstein" wrote: > Hi > > I have two sheets...

Partition Accounts
Is it possible to partition accounts? For example a typical computer can have 3 physical drives of 10 GB each and then have say 5 logical drives each have say 6 GB. I want to do the same thing with 3 savings accounts allocated over 5 savings categories. Right now I have 5 seperate accounts and then a 6th account which is the negative of the sum of the 5. In this way my net worth is not over stated since the same savings is listed twice. This works but requires two sets of transactions. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so how to set it up? I think you are asking about ...

Intercompany transaction for Project Accounting
Hi, How can I do a Intercompany transaction related to Project Accounting? Regards ...

Delete accounts numbers ftom the chart of accounts
I would like to know how to delete or reset my accounts number in the chart of accounts in once in Microsoft Accounting profesional 2008 MA, this is a GP forum. You might want to try a MAP forum. Good luck, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com ...

AddressBook Views....Permissions not displayed correctly
The individual administering our exchange 5.5 server did not directly apply permissions to address views before installing service pack 4 as a result... So, now eventhough when you look at the permissions you see the groups that inherited rights...these rights are not actually active.....This is a known problem with SP4...the fix according to the only document I have found on the matter involves launching the Exchange Admin tool in RAW mode and changing the heuristic setting from 0 to 1. The instructions for the fix include all sorts of disclaimers regarding if you mess up...or if it corrupt...

Money 2005 Balance
The debits & credits listed for my checking account match the bank's statements to the penny and, when balancing the account by hand, it balances with no adjustments. Yet when I try to use Money 2005's "Balance this Account" option, Money insists that I'm out of balance by almost $500.00. I've looked for any missed entries incorrectly marked, or not marked, "R" and have found none. Is there anyway to correct this? Thanks for your help. Add an account adjustment for the $500 when balancing the account. Then when balancing the account in the f...

Finding the correct location for inserting node (Repost)
Hi, Say for example I have this simple XSD: <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/po.xsd" xmlns="http://tempuri.org/po.xsd" elementFormDefault="qualified"> <xs:element name="purchaseOrder" type="PurchaseOrderType"/> <xs:element name="comment" type="xs:string"/> <xs:complexType name="PurchaseOrderType"> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="shipTo" type="xs:string"/> ...

MYOB accounting export
Importing Data from RMS into MYOB Accounting 1. Importing the Export file through Transaction Journals Available Fields from RMS Required Fields in Accounting Date Date Memo Memo Account Number Account Number Debit Amount Debit Amount Credit Amount Credit Amount * When importing the export information from RMS into MYOB Accounting the available fields from RMS match those in MYOB Premier, however, when the information has been imported into MYOB Accounting it does not tell it whether the data is Tax Inclu...

Investment Property in Portfolio Manager
Hi, Continuing the quest to get all my investements in Portfolio Manager - I'm nearly there. Can anyone suggest a way of using an Investement Account, that appears in Portfolio Manager such that you can record stage repayments of property, against capital gain only? No need for loan tracking etc. "Ouroboros" <Ouroboros@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8B62495-99FA-4E48-ACDA-A950FF8300CE@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Continuing the quest to get all my investements in Portfolio Manager - > I'm > nearly there. Can anyone suggest a way o...