Backup question

I've moved to a new pc and for some reason I thought that when you
backed up, a new file was created.  Am I right?  At the moment, it's
just backing up to the backup file.  So I've just just my working file
and my backup file.  Please could you clarify this?

Thanks again.
0
abc
1/6/2010 7:52:13 PM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, abc wrote:

>I've moved to a new pc and for some reason I thought that when you
>backed up, a new file was created.  Am I right?  At the moment, it's
>just backing up to the backup file.  So I've just just my working file
>and my backup file.  Please could you clarify this?

I am not sure what you mean. It is important that your backup files
and your *.mny files *not* be within the ProgramFiles folder. The
Documents folder is one good place to use.

In older versions, Money would overwrite the recent backup each
time, unless you took manual steps. What version of Microsoft Money
are you using?
0
Cal
1/6/2010 7:57:48 PM
Also check your Backup settings. Both cases you describe are possible.

"abc" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
> I've moved to a new pc and for some reason I thought that when you backed
> up, a new file was created.  Am I right?  At the moment, it's just backing
> up to the backup file.  So I've just just my working file and my backup
> file.  Please could you clarify this?
>
> Thanks again.

0
Dick
1/8/2010 12:46:07 AM
I'm using Version 2004.

On 06/01/2010 19:57, Cal Learner-- MVP wrote:
> In microsoft.public.money, abc wrote:
>
>> I've moved to a new pc and for some reason I thought that when you
>> backed up, a new file was created.  Am I right?  At the moment, it's
>> just backing up to the backup file.  So I've just just my working file
>> and my backup file.  Please could you clarify this?
>
> I am not sure what you mean. It is important that your backup files
> and your *.mny files *not* be within the ProgramFiles folder. The
> Documents folder is one good place to use.
>
> In older versions, Money would overwrite the recent backup each
> time, unless you took manual steps. What version of Microsoft Money
> are you using?

0
abc
1/10/2010 6:41:00 PM
In microsoft.public.money, abc wrote:

>I'm using Version 2004.
>
>On 06/01/2010 19:57, Cal Learner-- MVP wrote:
>> In microsoft.public.money, abc wrote:
>>
>>> I've moved to a new pc and for some reason I thought that when you
>>> backed up, a new file was created.  Am I right?  At the moment, it's
>>> just backing up to the backup file.  So I've just just my working file
>>> and my backup file.  Please could you clarify this?
>>
>> I am not sure what you mean. It is important that your backup files
>> and your *.mny files *not* be within the ProgramFiles folder. The
>> Documents folder is one good place to use.
>>
>> In older versions, Money would overwrite the recent backup each
>> time, unless you took manual steps. What version of Microsoft Money
>> are you using?

In *all* versions of Money, *.mny files and the *.mbf files must
*not* be within the ProgramFiles folder for normal use.

Here is a backup strategy you might consider for your Money 2004.
In Tools->Options->Backup
I suggest checking
 x Automatically backup to hard disk on exit
  x Prompt me before backing up each time*
  x Make my file small ...

Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your
latest backup (named differently from your earlier backups) to a
CDR. With XP, this can be a copy and paste operation. Otherwise
use the burning software that came with your CDR drive.

I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive also, in addition to
backing up to your hard drive.  They typically act like a big
floppy.  For a more automated way to make multiple backups, see
Glyn Simpson's method at http://money.mvps.org/backup.aspx

*  This has two advantages.  You can change the file name
occasionally.  I like to pick a name something like money010107.
Then it is easy to change the name to have multiple backups.  The
..mbf extension is automatic.  The other advantage is that you can
choose "Don't Back Up, or you change your mind about exiting by
simply clicking the X in the upper right of the pop-up box.
0
Cal

Exchange migration questions
Hi all, There are three questions about exchange migration from 5.5 to 2003. The exchange 5.5 are migrated to exchange 2003, by ADMT and connect DC with ADC. All user mailboxs have been moved to exchange 2003. question1: on the dc, the exchange tabs cannot been shown on the user properties when open the AD user and computer from the Domain controller, but it shows when open from the exchange 2003 server. What configuration I need to configure in order show these tabs on domain controllers. question2: I am trying to migrate the public folder, by following the guideline from pfmigrate.ws...

simple?? sort question
At my work, there are several excel sheets, now I want to sort on colum A. But it needs to be sorted on the length of the record with the longes entree first. For example: a dog a very small dog a small dog Needs to be sorted as: A very small dog a smaal dog a dog. Is this possible, how can I sort this. JHP -- jhp ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jhpk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1451 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26136 Hi one way: use a helper column with the...

Newbie Question 11-30-09
I have a Dell Poweredge T100 Server running WS2003 Enterprise. Can I install and run sharepoint 2007 on it so I can also use it as a sharepoint server. or do I need a separate server for that. Sorry for my lack of technical jargon that would accurately describe what I am trying to do. ...

Backup
When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I am getting the message: Unhandled Script Exception Script '[693]()' not found Exception_Class_Script_Missing Script_CMD_Userfunc I cannot find anything in the Knowledge Base to help me resolve this. Can anyone help me? Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I >am getting the message: > >Unhandled Script Exception >Script '[693]()' not found >Exception_Class_Script_Missing >Script_CMD_Userfunc > >I cannot find anything in the Knowle...

Sumproduct question and why cant I find my previous questions?
First...why can I not find my previous posts? Is there a trick to finding them? Second.....I have a long list of data with a date field, I want to be able to sum it up by month and year. So in one tab I have the raw data by date. In another tab, what I want to be able to do is: Year 2009 2010 Month Jan ??? ??? Feb ??? ??? Mar ??? ??? Thanks Apr May "First...why can I not find my previous posts? Is there a trick to finding them?" One way to find them is to put your user name (Paul) i...

Excel Macro Question
I created a Macro in Excel using the macro record option. This macro does about 15 things to the spreadsheet. To explain my problem... I created a program in Access that downloads data to a table and then queries the table for certain information. I then created a macro that sends the query to an Excel spreadsheet. Once I open up the file in Excel it will prompt me whether or not I want to enable or disable the macros and when I select either option Excel crashes. I tried this on another computer and it said that the security level needed to be changed or I need a digital signature...

What does that pale blue envelope with a red question mark on it mean?
It shows up in the column marked "!". I have been using Money for years and never saw it once until this month, when it started appearing for a few of my transactions. I checked in Help but couldn't find anything about it. AL from the online help file Money detects if you enter similar transactions on multiple occasions and marks the transactions in the register with a <Blue envelope with red ?> to flag them as potentially recurring. These marked transactions will also be listed on the Accounts & Bills view of the Home page under Potential Recurring Transacti...

exch 2003 question ... please reply !
Please see my comments:- "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote: > 1. Check DNS. Make sure that both servers can talk to each other (via both > hostname and FQDN). Make sure that message tracking (on both 5.5 and 2003) > is turned on. Once you have done this, what happens when you try and send a > message from 5.5 to 2003? What happens the other way? Do you get NDR's > right away? From the 5.5 server, can you telnet on port 25 to the 2003 > server? What about the other way? Can 2003 telnet to port 25 of 5.5? Jazzy: Message tracking is turned on an...

Does Outlook's Auto Archive Always APPEND TO or OVERWRITE a Previous Backup?
I ask because in another thread it was stated that auto-archive always appends, but lots of advice on multiple sites caution the user that it always over-writes. If it always appends, then I can use it. If it always overwrites, I can't. I think this is a very important distinction for the user and thus we should know one way or the other which is true append or over-write. Thanks. Yes, it always appends, because it is adding individual items to the = folders in the archive .pst file, not overwriting that file.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programmi...

Mailbox corruption question
We are running a Windows 2003 domain with Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003. I am the Network/Exchange administrator. I often have to open other people's mailbox to help them troubleshoot issues. However, from time-to-time I get an error saying: "Unable to display the filder. The Inbox folder could not be found". It seems that the mailbox is corrupt and I have to delete the box and create a new one. We can't even POP the box cause we can't connect to it. Anyone know what I can do to clean up the box and gain access? TIA, Clayton By the way, I do have th...

pst file backup program(pfbackup.exe) installation problem.
Trying to instal the above, but getting errors. 1. "Setup has detected that you already have a version of pfbackup installed on this machine. ....must uninstall.... Answer YES to next qurstion. Click OK. 2. Are you sure you want to uninstall? YES 3. This action is only valid for products that are installed. YES 4. Please uninstall previous versions of PFbackup using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. OK No matter how hard I look, it isn't there. Also tried looking under different (administrator) logon accounts. Any ideas? Is there a .dll file somewhere? Sugge...

Group Policy Backup
Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? Howdie! Am 01.07.2010 15:50, schrieb Venkat: > Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core > machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? GPMC delivers Scripts you can use to back them up. You can also download them seperately: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c1a89b-a6d2-4f2a-a944-9236999aee65&displaylang=en There should be plenty of scripting that...

Pub 2000 Reinstall question (part 2)
To catch everybody up I'll post my original request below and the reply I received from Brian, then my new problem/question. |||| I have Windows Office XP Small Business Edition (Publisher 2002) |||| and Windows XP. |||| |||| I previously had Publisher 2000 installed but when installing the Office XP |||| package I let it overwrite/replace the 2000 version. |||| To get some features I've decided to reinstall Pub 2000 and have both Pub |||| 2000 and Pub 2002 installed. |||| |||| When I run Setup.exe on the Pub2000 CDRom I get a window that says |||| the install is running in Mai...

backup to a file?
hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a tape drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in a different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not workng. So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily) I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if needed) thanks!!! Yes. Just specify a path and ntbackup will create you a bkf file which you can copy whereever. -- Thanks, Bria...

select qiery question
I am using this criteria in a select query: >DLookUp("LastOrderDate","refLastOrderDate") How can I get the results to INCLUDE blank(empty) fields? can I use "NZ" in any way? Any help here will be appreciated. Thanks in advance If that is the only criteria in your query, leave what you have and put the following in the line below what you have: Is Null PC Datasheet Providing Customers A Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com "Dave" <dave@accessdatapros> wrote in message news:CBAE786B-...

Question on Attachment
I want Attachment field below Subject field When i attach any file or folder the attachment should shown below subject as a seprate field like subject or Bcc Which version of OL are you using? This works in OL2000. Try changing the message format from "Rich Text" to "HTML" or "Plain text." This works for me but not every one likes receiving HTML emails. I use strictly plain text. To get at this setting go to Tools, Options then click "Mail Format" tab. >-----Original Message----- >I want Attachment field below Subject field > >When ...

Great Plains Backup
Is it possible to schedule a GP backup? If yes how can this be done? You can schedule backups for system and company databases to occur on the days and the times that you specify. Only a system administrator can open the Schedule Backup window to schedule database backups. To schedule a database backup: 1. Open the Schedule Backup window. (File >> Backup >> Schedule button) 2. Enter a name for the schedule. 3. Select the company to back up. The path where the database will be backed up is displayed. You can modify the path, as needed. 4. Mark the days to ...

Questions about MX Record for E2K3
All This should be simple enough question to answer, I was wondering if an MX record has to have a mail in front of it. By that I mean mail.mycompany.com for the MX record or can I have something like e2k3.mycompany.com? Secondly, if myMX record is e2k3.mycompany.com but the FQDN is e2k3.us.mycompany.com will I get an error? I have been getting a lot of these message when I tried to send emails to comcast "e2k3.us.mycompany.com #5.5.0 smtp;521-EHLO/HELO from sender 111.111.111.111 does not map to e2k3.us.mycompany.com in DNS". And I was wondering if I can r...

Backup
I have DataBase in SqlServer 2008.I Had taken database backup in full mode Around 10 days before. After that i ddi not take any other type of back.At the time of backup one table has around 1000 records.Now Accidentally Row has been deleted Now It has No Data.Before deletion now it has Around 3000 Records Is Their is Any Way to recover those deleted Rows From Full back Up Has the database been in full recovery model all the time since the full backup was taken? -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi ...

weird question
Hey everyone, when i hit tab in excel at work it bounces me over like 10 cells to th right. any ideas on how to get it to just move one? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Scottmk! Try: Tools > Options > Transition Remove check from "Transition navigation keys" -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "Scottmk >" <<Scottmk.11y3il@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Scottmk.11y3il...

NT Backup and other backup issues
I'm getting an error when I try to schedule a backup system every day at a certain time. (0x8070005) I'm using an Admin account. ??? Is there any software that can backup files without changing them into a backup format? If I have 1000 files in 100 folders I'd like to see 1000 files in 100 folders in the backup location. Does any backup software do this? And it would have to be done incrementally so you're not backing up the same thing over and over for nothing. "FrankEdwards" <no@frank.here> wrote in message news:op.vbmurnheq6rutr@-...

Multi Threading question
Hi, Hopefully i can make myself clear :-) If I have an array if objects and I loop through the array and call a method of each object in a different thread, can I use the same handler when the thread completes or will this cause problems? Something like: Private ProcessResultHandler As AsyncCallback = AddressOf ProcessResults For i = 0 To ComputerArray.GetUpperBound(0) sfh = AddressOf ComputerArray(i).UninstallAgent sfh.BeginInvoke(ProcessResultHandler, Nothing) Next i Public Sub ProcessResults() DoSomething() End Sub Thanks! Da...

Count logic question
How does one "count" the frequency of one column that is dependant on another. For example column A is a range of values, and column b is a unique identifier(criteria). A B 100 PG 200 SG 750 PG 50 SG 75 TG Can one use a function in a single cell to count all the values associated with PG? For example PG = 2 , and SG = 2, and TG= 1. We have hundreds of rows like this example, and we are trying to avoid entering a lookup or some of type function on each adjacent row. Have a look at the Help for COUNTIF and SUMIF =COUNTIF(B:B,"PG") or...

BACKUPS #2
When I back up my Money 2006 (internally or to a CD) does that backup info include the Portfolio Manager data as well or does the Portfolio Manager info require a seperate backup? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, hogbreath wrote: >When I back up my Money 2006 (internally or to a CD) does that backup info >include the Portfolio Manager data as well or does the Portfolio Manager info >require a seperate backup? Thanks. It's included. ========= 2006 suggested backup procedure Money 2006 introduces a useful multiple backup file feature. In M06: Tools->Settings->Bac...

failed installation question
Just wondering, if after a failed installation of exchange server 2003 enterprise, i can re-install again. Or if i'll need to uninstall then re-install. The installation failed while installing messaging and collaboration services with a 0xc0070534 while installing subcomponent microsoft exchange server level objects. Believe this is from an AD situation that i believe is now resolved. This is a second exchange server in the organization(the first and existing one is exchange server 2003 standard)and does not have any mailboxes on it. I was putting it in the tree and exchange ...