Asset accounts for cars and depreciation question

I have an asset account for my car so I can weigh it against money I
borrowed to finance it.  Over time the car will, of course, depreciate and I
was wondering how others are accounting for this.  Your input is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

Annual adjustments in value to reflect www.nadaguides.com, entered as an
expense categorized as transportation. You can categorize it however you
choose.

I believe GAAP requires not revising the actual asset account, but creating
a contra-asset account and expensing that. Management reports then include
both asset and contra-asset, which balances out to net value. That's because
assets generally must be reported at cost until gains or losses are
realized. You don't realize the gain or loss until you actually dispose of
the asset. In the meantime, the contra-asset account reflects the difference
while maintaining the book value.

That's a bit anal for my purposes. Even too anal for me.
--
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL

"Richard Forester" <richard_forester@msn.com> wrote in message
>I have an asset account for my car so I can weigh it against money I
>borrowed to finance it.  Over time the car will, of course, depreciate and
>I was wondering how others are accounting for this.  Your input is greatly
>appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

0
NoSpam1246 (979)
4/19/2005 11:58:00 AM
I just expense the payment(s) and don't track the cars asset values. It
biases my net worth in a conservative direction.

On 2005-04-19, Dick Watson <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote:
> I just expense the payment(s) and don't track the cars asset values. It
> biases my net worth in a conservative direction.

I've been using the assumption that the gain in value of my house
(which I am not tracking increases) roughly offsets the loss in
value of my two cars (which I am not tracking decreases).  In the
end I'm guessing the impact on my net worth roughly balances out.

This will (obviously) not continue to work after I sell any of
those assets, but until then it's a rough estimate.
0
mark5832 (444)
4/19/2005 2:32:15 PM
I've been tracking the value of the house asset and making corresponding
adjustments in the asset account. Of necessity, these are very crude
valuations and I try to make sure they are conservative to account for
things I can't account for like commissions to sell it.

On 2005-04-19, Dick Watson <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote:
> I've been tracking the value of the house asset and making corresponding
> adjustments in the asset account. Of necessity, these are very crude
> valuations and I try to make sure they are conservative to account for
> things I can't account for like commissions to sell it.

Out of curiosity, do you see any general problems with the way that
I'm doing it?  Also, what value do you get out of tracking the asset
value of your house?  Is it to be able to have a better guess at
your net worth or is there something else that you get out of it?
0
mark5832 (444)
4/19/2005 2:57:33 PM
The only benefits to the Asset account for the house are net worth and
tracking additions to cost basis. (Though the cost basis problem isn't
nearly as important as it used to be due to changes in tax law.)

I don't see any real issues with what you are (not) doing except that the
cars will come and go and their values will not decline as any kind of
inverse function of the real estate value. I agree the errors are on the
margin; I don't agree that at any given point they are likely to offset to
0.

On 2005-04-19, Dick Watson <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote:
> I don't see any real issues with what you are (not) doing except that the
> cars will come and go and their values will not decline as any kind of
> inverse function of the real estate value. I agree the errors are on the
> margin; I don't agree that at any given point they are likely to offset to
> 0.

Thanks for the feedback!  They probably don't offset to exactly
zero, but as of right now, based on the sales prices of similar
houses in my neighborhood, it's pretty darn close (+/- $500)
0
mark5832 (444)
4/19/2005 5:40:59 PM
Yah, but next month your cars will depreciate and (hopefully) your house
will appreciate.

On 2005-04-19, Dick Watson <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote:
> Yah, but next month your cars will depreciate and (hopefully) your house
> will appreciate.

Right.  That's my point.  My cars depreciate at roughly the same
rate as my house appreciates.
0
mark5832 (444)
4/19/2005 8:28:24 PM
I agree the effects are complimentary; my guess before any research is that
I wouldn't expect this to hold true in $ terms for very long even if it were
true today. Of course the housing market, the age of cars, etc, all plays
into this. If you have a clapped out high mileage '92 Civic, your annual $
depreciation looks a lot different than if you go out today and buy a
brand-new M-B SL65 AMG. Likewise, if you have a $30k trailer in Pigs
Knuckle, IA, your $ appreciation looks a lot different than if you have a
brownstone on 5th avenue in Manhattan, NYC, NY, or a beach front house in
Malibu, CA, or Poipu, HI, or even a loft in San Jose, CA.

> Right.  That's my point.  My cars depreciate at roughly the same
> rate as my house appreciates.

I know this is getting a bit off subject but you live in Charlotte?  Did
they ever open up the I-485 to I-85 connector?  I lived there for 3 or so
months last summer and was very frustrated at the constant delays and being
forced to use I-77.

Richard

On 2005-04-19, Dick Watson <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote:
> I agree the effects are complimentary; my guess before any research is that
> I wouldn't expect this to hold true in $ terms for very long even if it were
> true today.

I wouldn't either because the cars have a finite amount of
depreciation potential (e.g. my $13000 Neon can only depreciate
$13000).  But for the last 3 years, they've done a pretty good job
of staying roughly even.  Part of it is that Charlotte, NC has not
seen anywhere near the housing boom that the rest of the country has
seen.  We're in a buyer's market and have been for several years.
Given that, if my house actually appreciates a total of $13000
during the lifetime of the Neon, I'll be surprised.
0
mark5832 (444)
4/20/2005 1:01:31 PM
On 2005-04-20, Richard Forester <richard_forester@msn.com> wrote:
> I know this is getting a bit off subject but you live in Charlotte?  Did
> they ever open up the I-485 to I-85 connector?  I lived there for 3 or so
> months last summer and was very frustrated at the constant delays and being
> forced to use I-77.

485 is getting built.... S..L..O..W..L..Y..

Right now you can take 485 from I-85, head south bound and end up
back on I-77 right before you hit S. Carolina.  You can go a bit
past I-77, but not much.
0
mark5832 (444)
4/21/2005 2:06:24 AM
Hey Richard,

I agree with Chris that the contra-asset account is a better technique but
overkill for our purposes.

I setup a yearly recurring bill that pays from the auto asset account to a
payee called 'auto depreciation', a phantom payee which seems appropriate.

This allows my net worth to be tracked and I have a reminder in the Bills to
apply the depreciation once a year.

I personally use 20% of the current value as the depreciation amount each
year. What values do you like to use?

"Richard Forester" wrote:

> I have an asset account for my car so I can weigh it against money I
> borrowed to finance it.  Over time the car will, of course, depreciate and I
> was wondering how others are accounting for this.  Your input is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

0
das (28)
4/21/2005 10:55:02 AM
I decided to basically follow what you and Chris have outlined.  But I guess
I will have to use Kelly Blue Book value instead of NADA because they
couldn't value my car for some reason.  Everything was marked "n/a".

At any rate, what category do you use for this?  The payee can be anybody I
suppose.

Also, do you use the Private Sale value or the Dealer Trade-in value?
Actually, I think you said you use a standard 20% depreciation which seems a
little extreme to me but then again I am the one asking the questions so
what do I know?  LOL.

Richard

"das" <das@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey Richard,
>
> I agree with Chris that the contra-asset account is a better technique but
> overkill for our purposes.
>
> I setup a yearly recurring bill that pays from the auto asset account to a
> payee called 'auto depreciation', a phantom payee which seems appropriate.
>
> This allows my net worth to be tracked and I have a reminder in the Bills
> apply the depreciation once a year.
>
> I personally use 20% of the current value as the depreciation amount each
> year. What values do you like to use?
>

> "Richard Forester" wrote:
>
>> I have an asset account for my car so I can weigh it against money I
>> borrowed to finance it.  Over time the car will, of course, depreciate
>> and I
>> was wondering how others are accounting for this.  Your input is greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard

Actually, the change of value in the trailer would more resemble the
depreciation of the car. I don't think they appreciate, do they?

message news:uuFd6FTRFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

<snip>

> Likewise, if you have a $30k trailer in Pigs Knuckle, IA, your $
> appreciation looks a lot different than if you
> have a brownstone on 5th avenue in Manhattan, NYC, NY, or a beach front
> house in Malibu, CA, or Poipu, HI,
> or even a loft in San Jose, CA.

0
NoSpam1246 (979)
4/22/2005 1:34:01 AM
Depends on the trailer park: location, location, location...

"Chris Cowles" <NoSpam@For.me> wrote in message
> Actually, the change of value in the trailer would more resemble the
> depreciation of the car. I don't think they appreciate, do they?
>
> "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in
> message news:uuFd6FTRFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
> <snip>
>
>> Likewise, if you have a $30k trailer in Pigs Knuckle, IA, your $
>> appreciation looks a lot different than if you
>> have a brownstone on 5th avenue in Manhattan, NYC, NY, or a beach front
>> house in Malibu, CA, or Poipu, HI,
>> or even a loft in San Jose, CA.

The payee is whatever is meaningful to you. It's essentially a memo. The
category is also whatever you choose. I simply charge it to 'transportation:
automobile". Depreciation is simply an expense related to owning a car. For
my purposes, I really don't need to distinguish farther than that.

20% depreciation is conservative in the first year of ownership. If you're
using Kelly, % isn't relevant. Just mark it down to market according to how
you would dispose of it, if you ever would. If you plan to trade it in, use
trade-in; if you'd sell it to an individual, use private sale.

Actually, Dick's idea that a car payment is an expense is totally valid. If
you plan to keep the car until it's dead, there's no reason to consider it
among your assets. If I were driving a Rolls, it might matter; I don't think
my '99 P.O.S. Astro does.
--

>I decided to basically follow what you and Chris have outlined.  But I
>guess I will have to use Kelly Blue Book value instead of NADA because they
>couldn't value my car for some reason.  Everything was marked "n/a".
>
> At any rate, what category do you use for this?  The payee can be anybody
> I suppose.
>
> Also, do you use the Private Sale value or the Dealer Trade-in value?
> Actually, I think you said you use a standard 20% depreciation which seems
> a little extreme to me but then again I am the one asking the questions so
> what do I know?  LOL.
>
> Richard
>
> "das" <das@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hey Richard,
>>
>> I agree with Chris that the contra-asset account is a better technique
>> but
>> overkill for our purposes.
>>
>> I setup a yearly recurring bill that pays from the auto asset account to
>> payee called 'auto depreciation', a phantom payee which seems
>> appropriate.
>>
>> This allows my net worth to be tracked and I have a reminder in the Bills
>> apply the depreciation once a year.
>>
>> I personally use 20% of the current value as the depreciation amount each
>> year. What values do you like to use?
>>

>> "Richard Forester" wrote:
>>
>>> I have an asset account for my car so I can weigh it against money I
>>> borrowed to finance it.  Over time the car will, of course, depreciate
>>> and I
>>> was wondering how others are accounting for this.  Your input is greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Richard

0
NoSpam1246 (979)
4/23/2005 1:34:06 AM
Hey Richard,

Category: Transportation-Automobile, same as Chris.

Note that the 20% if for the value of the current year, not initial purchase
price. Also I only use the 20% per year curve for new cars that will
eventually be sold. For example, I don't depreciate my second car, a
thirty-five year old Porsche.

If you run the numbers through Excel and compare to market value, many cars
would fit the 20% per year curve. For example, a new car that cost $10k, the
day I drive it off the lot I would depreceiate it at 20% ($2k). One year
later, another 20% ($1.6k) depreciation. After owning the car for just 13
months, my asset value for the car is $6.4k. After owning the car for 5
years, the value for the car would be ~$3300 which should be within +/- $500
of what I could sell it for.

Chris is right that it does depend on the car. A Rolls Royce would retain or
appreciate in value. A Kia would be disposable after a few years. Just
kidding Kia! For that reason, using a third party's (NADA or Kelly) set of
values would give you a better number. I personally believe the numbers run
on the high side and would only use them when dealing with insurance
companies.

I would also like to point out that tracking the car in net worth is
subjective in the sense that a car would account for most of a teenager's net
worth, where as for a (successfull) retiree, it might only account for 1% or
2% of total net worth.

Dwayne

"Richard Forester" wrote:

> I decided to basically follow what you and Chris have outlined.  But I guess
> I will have to use Kelly Blue Book value instead of NADA because they
> couldn't value my car for some reason.  Everything was marked "n/a".
>
> At any rate, what category do you use for this?  The payee can be anybody I
> suppose.
>
> Also, do you use the Private Sale value or the Dealer Trade-in value?
> Actually, I think you said you use a standard 20% depreciation which seems a
> little extreme to me but then again I am the one asking the questions so
> what do I know?  LOL.
>
> Richard
0
das (28)
4/23/2005 1:09:03 PM
Thanks for everyone's help on this.  I have always wondered how others were
dealing with their autos.  It seems that most of this is subjective.  For
instance I would never think of excluding my car from my net worth
particularly when I'm making payments on it.  However, I can see where it
might not matter to someone who is wealthy or if the auto was fully
depreciated.

I think I tend to agree with Dwayne's 20% rule more now that I understand
it's 20% year over year as opposed to the car being worth $0 after 5 years.
:-)

Again, thanks to everyone.

> Hey Richard,
>
> Category: Transportation-Automobile, same as Chris.
>
> Note that the 20% if for the value of the current year, not initial
> purchase
> price. Also I only use the 20% per year curve for new cars that will
> eventually be sold. For example, I don't depreciate my second car, a
> thirty-five year old Porsche.
>
> If you run the numbers through Excel and compare to market value, many
> cars
> would fit the 20% per year curve. For example, a new car that cost $10k,
> the
> day I drive it off the lot I would depreceiate it at 20% ($2k). One year
> later, another 20% ($1.6k) depreciation. After owning the car for just 13
> months, my asset value for the car is $6.4k. After owning the car for 5
> years, the value for the car would be ~$3300 which should be within +/-
> $500
> of what I could sell it for.
>
> Chris is right that it does depend on the car. A Rolls Royce would retain
> or
> appreciate in value. A Kia would be disposable after a few years. Just
> kidding Kia! For that reason, using a third party's (NADA or Kelly) set of
> values would give you a better number. I personally believe the numbers
> run
> on the high side and would only use them when dealing with insurance
> companies.
>
> I would also like to point out that tracking the car in net worth is
> subjective in the sense that a car would account for most of a teenager's
> net
> worth, where as for a (successfull) retiree, it might only account for 1%
> or
> 2% of total net worth.
>
> Dwayne
>
> "Richard Forester" wrote:
>
>> I decided to basically follow what you and Chris have outlined.  But I
>> guess
>> I will have to use Kelly Blue Book value instead of NADA because they
>> couldn't value my car for some reason.  Everything was marked "n/a".
>>
>> At any rate, what category do you use for this?  The payee can be anybody
>> suppose.
>>
>> Also, do you use the Private Sale value or the Dealer Trade-in value?
>> Actually, I think you said you use a standard 20% depreciation which
>> seems a
>> little extreme to me but then again I am the one asking the questions so
>> what do I know?  LOL.
>>
>> Richard

As were are not publicly traded companies nor have we sold bonds with
covenants, we don't have to follow GAAP. Therefore it is, as you say, quite
subjective.
--

> Thanks for everyone's help on this.  I have always wondered how others
> were dealing with their autos.  It seems that most of this is subjective.
> For instance I would never think of excluding my car from my net worth
> particularly when I'm making payments on it.  However, I can see where it
> might not matter to someone who is wealthy or if the auto was fully
> depreciated.
>
> I think I tend to agree with Dwayne's 20% rule more now that I understand
> it's 20% year over year as opposed to the car being worth $0 after 5
> years.

0
NoSpam1246 (979)

All notes/activites should be seen from the Parent account.
You could imagine having 3 sub accounts with 20 contacts each on an account. In order for me to find the latest activities on the account I would have to click through every contact to see what is going on with that account. It just seems like common sense that notes/activities stored on a sub account or contact would show up on the parents accounts notes and activities. Having to run a report is not a solution in this case as it needs to be interactive with the system and not a static display. The first thing my manager said is there is a big risk for correspondence to be missed/ lost...

SmartList Builder Fixed Asset General Inquiry Go To
Hi all, I have created a SmartList in SLB based on a new SQL table which contains Fixed Asset ID and some additional fields. I am not able to get the Go To for General Asset Inquiry to work.I thought since the table did not include the suffix field,even though it is always 1, that may be the problem. I tried to do the go to link on a basic Fixed Asset, but still couldnot get it to work. I tried several combo's -set Asset ID and run script -set Asset ID and run script etc ....has anyone had similar issues with the Fixed Asset SLB builds? thx, Doug -- Doug Wilson Great Plains Consul...

Manufacturing Accounts
We have some items that we manufacture and also purchase. When selling these items GP is including the labor cost from the manufacturing side in the distributions and pulling in the Labor COGS account from the item setup, which should not happen. Has anyone else seen this? Do you know if it is normal? If it is normal, any idea why GP thought this was a good idea? -- Jim@TurboChef ------=_NextPart_0001_35B7B90B Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello Jim, Thank you for using Newsgroups. My name is Becky and I will assist you. Hope all is well. This is normal...

Questions about MFC Dialog Box
Right now I am coding a programming that will scan a computer for mp3s and display where they are located in a log or text file. I have built the GUI using VS C++ MFC and things are looking good, but I wanted to add a couple of features that I feel I am a little shaky on, so I figured I would try my luck with you guys! Basically I want to add 2 things: When the user clicks the scan button I would like a popup messagebox stating the the program is infact scanning. The other function would be a pop up that would come about after the scan has ceased. My source code for the button is fairly basic...

Activity Tracking for Project Accounting
Project accounting should update activity tracking for all transaction posting. Currently it update master file changes only. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?m...

Child Accounts
Is it possible to have more than 1 level of child accounts? ie: Can a child account have a child account, etc? thanks, voss. Hi Voss, Out of the box, this functionality is not available in Dynamics GP when using National Accounts. However, you can add a customization to associate accounts with other accouns and setup the parent child relationship that you are looking for. You will need to contact your reseller or a Microsoft Dynamics GP development partner in order to do this. -Mike -- Micheal LoPatriello Coordinator, Luna Development mlopat@lunadevelopment.com http://www.lunadevel...

You should be able to change the cards-fixed assets-account(asset
Please read case #8231737 in customer care. We have an account group setup as non depreciatable asset for minor equipment. These are assets as non depreciable in the FA system for tracking purposes only. We need to changle the default asset cost account number to the right cost center before an entry is added. Which you can not now. So it is causing manual entries at month end. Where we would like to change the aaset cost number (G/L) is Cards- Fixed Assets- Account before I run depreciation at month end and then g/l post. You should e able to go in and update the account number ...

Correct Beginning Balance in Account
I am absolutely new to Money. I'm using Money Small Business 2005 and have a problem setting up my checking account. I made an Owners' Transfer into the checking, it's the first recorded entry. However, the balance does not match the transfer amount, it's off by more than 50%. I made an Owners' Transfer (Draw) to bring the balance where it needed to be, but now it looks like I actually took this money out. Has anyone run into this situation and is there a work-around or fix? In microsoft.public.money, Tim Riley wrote: >I am absolutely new to Money. I'm u...

Software Asset Management w/ Access
Our company is try to document the software that we use (in addition to updating information about BMPs) and have on file. Essentially, we want to have a way to keep track of all software that is purchased and where it is installed. Has anyone had experience building a database that keeps track of something like this (with the understanding information would be manually entered)? Or would this be better suited to Excel? While our company only has about 25 computers, we have hundreds of pieces of software accumulated over the years with registration codes and the like. Once again, I'm just...

Easy question
How do I eliminate text out of this 2.5 OZ , i just want the 2.5 to show or whatever number is in there regardless of how much digits it is. I would prefer to have this in the query field and not vba please. Thank you. Ryan Hi - Use the Val function in the query, instead of the whole field: Val([myField]) Val() returns the numeric equivalent of all characters up to the first non- numeric character in a string. It ignores zeros. so Val("2.5 OZ") will return 2.5 ; so does Val("2 . 5 OZ") John ryan.fitzpatrick3@safeway.com wrote: >How do I eliminate text ...

Transpose question
I have a MASTER summary worksheet with this layout 07-Sep 14-Sep 21-Sep 28-Sep 05 - Oct Total No of late deliveries 36 40 20 10 9 115 No of Drivers 18 32 11 11 4 76 getting its info from WEEKLY worksheets eg 03-Sep 04-Sep 05-Sep 06-Sep 07-Sep Total No of late deliveries 7 8 7 7 7 36 No of Drivers 4 3 1 6 4 18 I would like the master layout to be like : No of late deliveries No of Drivers 07-Sep 36 18 14-Sep 40 32 21-Sep 20 11 28-Sep 10 11 05-Oct 9 4 Total 115 76 But as the values in the MASTER worksheet ...

Fixed assets
I had a problem at a customer who said that their fixed assets depreciation for the year so far did not look right. They normally work a 5/4/5 etc period set up but the depreciation calculated per period did not look correct i.e. some months had a 2 lots of depreciation calculated. When we checked the calendar setup, it was wrong - just standard monthy set-up. Customer rebuild calendar and I advised doing a reset year for an asset to set if this would recalculate the correct depreciation so far. Response was 'As suggested, I tried the reset year flag on CC031. The system created reve...

Customize invoice list in Account form
I need to make some customization to the invoice list who is visible in the account form. First: The list to be changed to read only (if i make a double click on the row nothing happens). Second: Add a button to the Action tool bar who make a web request based on selected row. Is possible ? I need to create a custom ASPX page for do this? Thanks Lorenzo Soncini ...

Analytical Accounting Life to Date information
Am I missing something or does analytical accounting not present Life to Date information for dimensions and codes? Thanks, George Hi George, You are correct, analytical accounting presents only Year To Date (YTD) information for dimensions and codes. Thanks, Jonny (MSFT) "GeorgeFD29" wrote: > Am I missing something or does analytical accounting not present Life to Date > information for dimensions and codes? > > Thanks, > George Hi Jonny, It's not right that dimension only has Year to Date information. Since it allows account class to be linked ...

Fixed Asset Module table relationships?
I am trying to query some items from our Fixed Asset module and am having trouble finding the associated tables due to the generalized naming structure. Can anyone point me in the right direction? For information about the table structures, you should install the SDK from the second GP CD (also downloadable from CustomerSource). It has documents on the tables in GP. Also go to Tools >> Resource Descriptions >> Tables and pick Fixed Assets as the product and Financial as the series. The tables are listed and you can double-click on each one to get field definitions. -- C...

Macro question #14
Hi, Let me appoligise in advance for the lame question but I have to ask, I am redesigning a spreadsheet which comes down to a data page (dat grabbed of various other worksheets) and a reports page. One thing I would like to do is enter a number in a "control cell" an that would be the week I report. for that to occur you now I fin (replace) eg find $8 replace with $9 manually which is fine for me bu I want to distrobute this to a few people at the end of the season wh are even less excell literate than me. {which is saying something} can this be done with a macro? if so is the...

Current Asset Allocations vs Asset Allocation Report
Why would the above values be different within MS money? For instance there can be a 2% difference between my cash/money market or any other asset category between these two functions. Which should I believe when I reallocate within my investment accounts? Another peculiar twist is when I determine an asset class for a particular stock for instance HEADWATERS CO Small Cap, MS Money will revert it back to the orginial class. Any way to keep in the class (small cap or mid cap, etc) ? ...

Item discount question
I'm running a promotion where if the customer spends more than $20 they get a free lb of ground beef or a free lb of chicken breast. The problem is the packages are often more than a pound. Is there a way to take $4.99 off of the price of ground beef if I scan a code (or coupon)? For example, the customer spends more than $20. They have a package of ground beef that is 1.21 lbs. with a price of $5.93 (4.99 a pound). I want the system to calculate the price to 0.94 cents. All input is greatly appreciated! This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0DA7_0...

Question about enumerate threads of process
Hi all I want to enumerate threads of a process in Winnt4. I know that Toolhelper lib can't work at Nt. someone tell me Psapi.dll also do the same thing. I check it at msdn, but found no function can work. can anybody tell me, how can i do that with psapi.dll. Thanks advance. sincerely. Take a look at the following KB article Q175030 - HOWTO: Enumerate Applications in Win32 -- Cheers Check Abdoul [ VC++ MVP ] ----------------------------------- "LiPei" <zxblp@163.com> wrote in message news:O3VW8T4bDHA.2940@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi all > &g...

Completely Removing User Accounts
Using GP Dynamics 7 on SQL Server 2000. I am having trouble with adding a new user account when that user account used to exist previously, but was deleted from a previous installation. Originally, we had setup user accounts for our sales staff who connect via VPN to our network. We migrated our SQL server/Dynamics and moved it to a new server to accomodate the workload and I had migrated the user accounts using SQL scripting provided by GP Support. (I know this creates a temp table with these old accounts). Reconfiguring security, I deleted accounts and am trying to recreate the...

Purge purchasing transactions in fixed assets
Hi, I want to delete the purchasing transactions from the fixed assets module. I am using Tools >> Utilities >> Fixed Assets >> Purge Purchasing Transactions. I read that only transactions with unapplied amount of $0 are purged from this utility. The transactions that I have in there do not have unapplied amounts of $0. However the invoices that created them has an unapplied amount of $0. How can I refresh the unapplied amount for these purchasing transactions in the fixed assets module? Or is there another way to purge them? Thanks, Peter Make a BACKUP, then run...

Fixed Assets fully depreciate an asset
I have a couple of assets that no longer have any life left. (they were puchased in 2001 and had a five year life) however, they still have a little book value remaining. Is there a good way to fully depreciate these assets where they should be fully depreciated? Thanks, KJ ...

recording asset loan extra payments
How do I record and track an asset loan in Money 2002 when an extra payment amount is given(each month, our land payment check is for $1.02 more than it should be.) You create a loan account and setup a loan payment. Then you edit the splits of the loan payment and add a line for an extra Principal Transfer (that's the "category") of the $1.02. "Katy" <db0008@dragonbbs.com> wrote in message news:092701c38f72$1f31ffc0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > How do I record and track an asset loan in Money 2002 > when an extra payment amount is given(each month, our > l...

Device Context Question (persistence?)
I am trying to speed up a drawing routine that draws waveforms from a USB device. Trying to keep up with the data and display it in real time. I had thought that I would move the CDC out of my drawing routine and into the dialog class so that it could be instantiated once and used over the course of the life of the window I am drawing to. Ditto with the Pens. But it seems that the DC, which I got from this->GetDC(), can become invalid? If I stop drawing and then staret drawing again the DC becomes (unused?). For the moment I have gone back to creating and releasing the DC in my drawing r...

new user with easy question? not easy for me
this may be very very simple but for some reason i cant understand this. i have many many rows of information, and i would like to calculate the sums of say col 1, col 3, col 5, etc...but for each new row i dont want to have to manually revise each cell to say sum(a1+c1+e1, etc...) and then sum(a2+c2+e2, etc...) for hundreds of rows, this is very tedious. can someone help me? -- speakeztruth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ speakeztruth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24028 View this thread: http://www.ex...