Archiving Money Files #2

Hi all,

Whenever I decide to archive old Money data, the process removes the correct
dates, transactions, etc. from the main file...

But the archived file contains all of the newer transactions as well.  I
thought an archived file only contained old transactions?

EXAMPLE: I just archived the year 2005 from my main file.  The main file now
shows only transactions dated from 1-1-2006 to now.

The archived file contains transactions dated from 1-1-2005 to now.

Is this the way Money (I am using Mny 2004) works?

money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, rustyfender04 wrote:

>Whenever I decide to archive old Money data, the process removes the correct
>dates, transactions, etc. from the main file...
>
>But the archived file contains all of the newer transactions as well.  I
>thought an archived file only contained old transactions?

The archive file is a complete copy of how the file was before
archiving.

>EXAMPLE: I just archived the year 2005 from my main file.  The main file now
>shows only transactions dated from 1-1-2006 to now.

Most people are better off not archiving. Those who think archiving
will make the file significantly smaller or faster are usually
disappointed.  There have been many discussions on the ramifications
of archiving.

>The archived file contains transactions dated from 1-1-2005 to now.
>
>Is this the way Money (I am using Mny 2004) works?

Yes, that's how it works.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
6/8/2007 4:55:34 AM
This is a common expectation that is not matched by how Money actually
works.

Indeed, that's how it's *always* worked. That's also how it describes itself
during the process--or at least how it describes itself in M07. (And since
most of this design hasn't changed since before the earth cooled, I suspect
if you read the dialog boxes carefully in M04 you will find the same thing.)
For one recent archiving thread, see:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/tree/browse_frm/thread/106249fcee9c9169/9e20f57ad44ad443?rnum=1&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fmicrosoft.public.money%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F106249fcee9c9169%2Fc55930012e5bce7c%3Flnk%3Dst%26q%3D%26rnum%3D1%26#doc_9e20f57ad44ad443

"rustyfender04" <rustyfender1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> But the archived file contains all of the newer transactions as well.  I
> thought an archived file only contained old transactions?

Thanks all,

I was only archiving for purposes of making the main file small enough to
fit on a floppy.  I  backup daily to a USB drive, so I guess that backing up
to the floppy once a month is  redundant?

So then, a large Mny file a not a big drain on a CPU (1.73 Ghz)?

message news:e6E0tacqHHA.500@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> This is a common expectation that is not matched by how Money actually
> works.
>
> Indeed, that's how it's *always* worked. That's also how it describes
> itself during the process--or at least how it describes itself in M07.
> (And since most of this design hasn't changed since before the earth
> cooled, I suspect if you read the dialog boxes carefully in M04 you will
> find the same thing.) For one recent archiving thread, see:
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/tree/browse_frm/thread/106249fcee9c9169/9e20f57ad44ad443?rnum=1&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fmicrosoft.public.money%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F106249fcee9c9169%2Fc55930012e5bce7c%3Flnk%3Dst%26q%3D%26rnum%3D1%26#doc_9e20f57ad44ad443
>
> "rustyfender04" <rustyfender1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> But the archived file contains all of the newer transactions as well.  I
>> thought an archived file only contained old transactions?

Sure it's redundant, but that's a good thing. And if it has to span several
floppies (mine is now about 10), so what? It takes a little longer, but your
practice is a very good one for any of a number of reasons.

Any Money file is a big drain on any CPU. So? What's the CPU got better to
do? (Note Microsoft lists the system requirement for Money 2007 Deluxe as
Multimedia PC with a Pentium II 266-MHz or faster processor (or compatible);
Pentium II 300-MHz (or compatible) recommended. I consider this ludicrous.
The thing would run like continental drift on such a CPU. But there it is.)
The real issue is the responsiveness at the user interface. File size seems
to have some impact on this, but internal file pollution--apparently caused
by Money itself--seems to be a bigger issue. M07 and the "Nuke the bills"
feature (See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=187) seems to make remarkable
improvements in this area. Sad it took that and all the effort and risk that
goes with it, but there it is again.

> I was only archiving for purposes of making the main file small enough to
> fit on a floppy.  I  backup daily to a USB drive, so I guess that backing
> up to the floppy once a month is  redundant?
>
> So then, a large Mny file a not a big drain on a CPU (1.73 Ghz)?

In microsoft.public.money, rustyfender04 wrote:

>I was only archiving for purposes of making the main file small enough to
>fit on a floppy.  I  backup daily to a USB drive, so I guess that backing up
>to the floppy once a month is  redundant?

I suggest you do your monthly backup to a CDR or writable DVD.
Alternatively, do it do a different USB flash drive.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
6/10/2007 1:30:34 PM
10 floppies eh?

I'll start using multiple disks from now on.  I don't like archiving anyway.

Thanks for the article too...Maybe I need to move up to Mny 2007, but the
'04 version seems to work well for me.

message news:%23me$xI2qHHA.4324@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Sure it's redundant, but that's a good thing. And if it has to span
> several floppies (mine is now about 10), so what? It takes a little
> longer, but your practice is a very good one for any of a number of
> reasons.
>
> Any Money file is a big drain on any CPU. So? What's the CPU got better to
> do? (Note Microsoft lists the system requirement for Money 2007 Deluxe as
> Multimedia PC with a Pentium II 266-MHz or faster processor (or
> compatible); Pentium II 300-MHz (or compatible) recommended. I consider
> this ludicrous. The thing would run like continental drift on such a CPU.
> But there it is.) The real issue is the responsiveness at the user
> interface. File size seems to have some impact on this, but internal file
> pollution--apparently caused by Money itself--seems to be a bigger issue.
> M07 and the "Nuke the bills" feature (See
> http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=187) seems to make remarkable improvements
> in this area. Sad it took that and all the effort and risk that goes with
> it, but there it is again.
>
> "rustyfender04" <rustyfender1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I was only archiving for purposes of making the main file small enough to
>> fit on a floppy.  I  backup daily to a USB drive, so I guess that backing
>> up to the floppy once a month is  redundant?
>>
>> So then, a large Mny file a not a big drain on a CPU (1.73 Ghz)?

Thanks...I'll give it a go.

> In microsoft.public.money, rustyfender04 wrote:
>

>>I was only archiving for purposes of making the main file small enough to
>>fit on a floppy.  I  backup daily to a USB drive, so I guess that backing
>>up
>>to the floppy once a month is  redundant?
>
> I suggest you do your monthly backup to a CDR or writable DVD.
> Alternatively, do it do a different USB flash drive.

About the only reasons I can imagine recommending the upgrade are if you
suffer from the expiration of online services or have symptoms of the
problems that Nuke The Bills seems to solve.

> Maybe I need to move up to Mny 2007, but the '04 version seems to work
> well for me.

Unicode batch files
I'm working on an app that (among other things) writes batch files. Presently, the batch files are UTF-8 encoded, with BOM. The batch files work properly unless they include non-ANSI characters. For example, this doesn't work: "MyProg.exe" "的翻.data" Nor does this (a crude attempt to force UTF-8): chcp 65001 "MyProg.exe" "的翻.data" I also tried forcing the parameter into 8-bit, which results in output like this (also doesn't work): "MyProg.exe" "çš„ç¿».data" Any ideas on how to best...

Internet Connections / News Updates Money 2004
I know that my internet connection works. I can view webpages with IE and also Money 2004. When I click on the update now links the message says that it goes through but the updates are not showing up. Also, when I am trying to setup my passwords for my bank accounts it needs to connect to the internet but It says I have no internet connection set up. I am using Adelphia Cable as my ISP. I contacted them and they say it is not their end why Money cant connect. I was given a cd to automatically setup my internet I did not manually configure anything. If you know anything about th...

Want to save a Money 2004 file as Money 2003 file at end of trial
I have been using Money 2001/2003 for about a couple years, but I accepted the internet offer of a 90 day(?) trial of Money 2004. My trial period expires in a week and I don't want to buy the upgrade. My problem is that I can't save my .MNY file in a format that can be read by Money 2003. I need to find a way to save as a Money 2003 file so that I can go back to using Money '03. When you upgraded to use the trial, Money made a copy of your then Money file and called it *.m11. Double click on that and then the bad news, as warned when you did the upgrade, you need to re-en...

Workbook_Open CommandBar corrupt excel files
Hi, I have 2 macros that create and delete a custom command bar at the opening and before close. A) When I save the file and then click on "X" without saving, I can reopen the file. B)But when I save the file, click on "X" and click on save, I can't reopen the file (Excel ask to recover the file). Does anyone have an idea? Thank you! Alex Private Sub Workbook_Open() Call CreateCommandBar End Sub Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Call DeleteCommandBar End Sub -- Alex St-Pierre I think it's coincidence. Try creatin...

move to archived folders works, archiving to same archived folders does not work
We are using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000. Most of our users work on Terminal Server. Their pst-files are stored on a directory on the file and print server. Some of these users can move mails from their mailbox to their archived folders, but cannot archive to it. They get the message that the pst file cannot be opened. However at that moment they can still browse in their archived folders, move mail to it and so on. For one user I created a new pst file, but the problem staid the same. Does anyone have experience with this? ...

Money/IE bug? in portfolio manager
When I go to Portfolio Manager, the pane showing all the data is tiny. It doesn't resize when I resize the main window. Minimizing/obscuring and redisplaying the window doesn't make it refresh properly. I am also having odd problems with Internet Explorer (the text of my yahoo email doesn't show up). I don't know if the two might be related. I'm using: Microsoft Money 2006 Windows XP SP2 IE 7 Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ingrid In microsoft.public.money, nibiery@hotmail.com wrote: >When I go to Portfolio Manager, the pane showing all the data is ...

The location of the .pst-file!?!
Hi, I have noticed that Outlook's .pst-file by default is located in the 'Local Settings' part of the profile. What is the idea here? We are using roaming profiles partially because we can use a central backup system on all our users' profiles, but since this part of the profile isn't copied down to the server, there will be no backup of the .pst-file :-( I find it kind of risky to not have this file backuped... What does Microsofts suggest to do here? Regards, /LS Lennart Svenssson <lensv@ituf.liu.se> wrote: > I have noticed that Outlook's .p...

Populating asp:dropdownlist in XSLT file using extension object
Hi I am trying to populate a <asp:dropdownlist> in a XSLT file with= datasource pointing to a C# codebehind file method which returns= a dataview=2E I am using XSLT extension object=2E But I am getting= "The 'DataSource' property is set only by the runtime=2E It cannot= be declared=2E" error code: <?xml version=3D"1=2E0"?> <xsl:stylesheet version=3D"1=2E0"= xmlns:xsl=3D"http://www=2Ew3=2Eorg/1999/XSL/Transform"= xmlns:MyObj=3D"urn:ProductInfo" xmlns:asp=3D"remove"> =09<xsl:output method=3D"htm...

help reinstalling money plus
I keep getting the message purchase money or remind me later. I purchased money plus deluxe back in November and saved the installation file and key code. I had to reinstall the software and it did not give me a place to enter the key code. I tried to run the extend.exe but this tells me I have a trial version and it only works it the full version. What can I do? Do I need to uninstall it or what? Sounds like you reinstalled from the Trial download not from the paid for download. Those are different installables. You will need to use the real paid for download. "LDisSweet&qu...

Archive
Hi, I'm trying to archive some calendar items and have found the archive settings for the folder. When I run the archive process the items are not moved from the calendar and the folder size is not reduced. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to set this up so that items prior to a point in time can be moved off so that the size of my calendar folder doesn't reach the size limit of my over zealous exchange administrator. Cheers, Darren. Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date Outlook uses to...

Money 2002 removal
OS is XP Home. Suspect there is a conflict between Money and Excel. Money is not being used and will not uninstall using Control Panel. A search of the Knowledge Base brought me to K2808303. This page appears to be corrupted. It lists topics on removing a folder and making a registry change, but these are not shown entirely or at all. If someone could post the instructions it will be gratefully received. Thanks Charlie ...

Archiving pages
Hi All, The pages in one of the our publishing site are around 1500. So it?s showing effect on search crawling index and sometimes throwing an error like System out of memory (usually in full crawl). Our ram size is 4 gb for index server. Is there any method for archive the pages in page document library. And the important thing is the data must be handy, so the archival process should accommodate ability to retrieve the archived content quickly. pls suggest me. Thanks in Advance sukumar.k Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Consuming WebServices...

Repair PST file in Outlook
Hi I have spent hours and hours to solve this problem: My PC broke down and I had to repair the outlook 2000 pst- file. Ewerything seemed to work just fine when repairinh. I was told that most messeges were repaired, Whe I imported the mail-folders it also seemed to be just fine BUT ALL IMPORTED FOLDERS WERE EMPTY. I did watch the import-proces and I'm sure that a lot of mails were im fact imported (names were shown). Also when a folder contained many mails it took quit some time to import. the "new" pst file were app. the same size before and after repair. I have followed...

Money 2006 for Smartphone?
Please, Microsoft, release this! I got rid of my PocketPC for a smartphone, and it'd be nice to keep track... :) Si I've got to agree with you Simon.... my smartphone is one of the best purchases I've made in a while...I had been waiting for a long time for a small phone that would replace my palm pilot...But I REALLY want MSmoney for it. I was using UltraSoft Money on the Palm and it would be nice to have the same functionality for the phone. Unfortunately the Pocket PC version of Money will not load "wrong version" error. "Simon Cooke" wrote: &...

Archival Data -- Managing over Time
I am developing a set of data that I will do some research on, and others as well. My plan is to keep the source data in one workbook in a very simple format, and not do any calculations or charts in that workbook. I'll do my charts in other workbooks, and will send the source data workbook to others when they request. The idea is to reduce corruption and accidental modifications to the source data over time. Is this a good plan? Any other comments about how to protect the accuracy and stability of the source data over time? I understand I can essentially make the source file read...

asset allocation in Microsoft money Plus
Dear all, I prefer to do Asset allocation as stocks,Bonds,liquid cash, realty and commodities. What do you think is the best way to include realty investments and commodities in Money Plus so that they get reflected in the asset allocation chart. Presently , if I classify my investements in realty as "others" under asset category , they do not get reflected in asset allocation charts. Help and views are appreciated. Thanks. N.Meyyappan ...

Move Sheet from one Excel file to another
How do I move a sheet from 1 Excel file to another? I tried the "move or copy sheet" function, but in the "To Book" dropdown list, the only things listed are the current book or a "new book" -- the one I want to move it to is not listed. That suggests you've got two instances of the application running. Open the source file. With that workbook active, use the menu bar: File > Open, and select the destination file. Switch back to the source. You should now see the other book in the dropdown list. HTH. --Bruce "Kathy" wrote: > H...

deleting empty folders after archive
IS there a way to delete folders which are left empty after you perform an archive? I have approx 300 or so folders that are empty since my archive application completed but they still show up and there seems to be no way except one at a time to delete them. There should be a method to state if folder size = 0 then delete folder. Shane ...

when writing an IF statement what is the syntax for "Not Equal to. #2
what is the syntax for writing an If statement for NOT EQUAL TOO Use <> for not equal to. Example: =IF(A1<>32, "error",A1) "NEEDTOKNOW" wrote: > what is the syntax for writing an If statement for NOT EQUAL TOO ...

Two questions on the latest Money Home and Small Business
Sorry, forgot the exact name of this product, but I am sure you understand. The easy one: Any way to change the color scheme? I am not fond of the blue on blue on blue. The harder one. Decided to track all my accounts, so added my 401K. Updates fine except that new contributions are shown as debiting the balance. If I add that to the balance, it agrees with the holder of the account. But now it deducts any new contributions from my paycheck in a separate cash account listed under the 401K account. What might I be doing incorrectly there? Thanks. ~Bob In microsoft.public.money, B...

Excel Help File Problems
Our company is using Office 2000 on Window 2000 / NT OS. I recently had some issues and had to have my hard drive re-imaged. I am a relative novice with Excel VBA and rely heavily on the VBA Hel files. Unfortunately the hot links on the top of the help pages ar missing and there is only a placeholder (small square box shaddow wit a dot in the middle). These use to have hot links such as "See Also", "Examples", Methods" etc. Most of the hot links embedded withing the text of the help files d not work either. A common error message that appears would be: "An ...

duplicate messages when opening archives / archive inbox emptied?
Outlook appears to be re-downloading all messages (700+) from my hotmail pop3 account. (again...) This only (?) appears to happen on the same days when I try and find an archived email in my inbox. The two times that it has happened today (it has never happened twice on one day before), I was working on a Word document. So I was not deleting emails at the time. (I have seen an errata re to message IDs getting out of sync, but this looks like a different problem.) I do not think that it is my Norton anti-virus. I have disabled the email portion of the software after the fir...

Unable to log into Money 2006
Please help! I am not able to log into Ms Money 2006 with my usual sign in credentials. Every time that I attempt to it tells me that the user id or password is incorrect even though I have reentered and double checked it. If makes any difference to mention it, I have just done a destructive restore of my computer. I am using Windows XP Media Center Edition on a Compaq Presario Desktop computer. Could anyone help? Thank you and best wishes for a happy new year... Elaine Beauxrauxgard-Weiderhoff In microsoft.public.money, msnews wrote: > >I am not able to log into Ms Money ...

Archive an Archive?
LOL, i'm sure this will sound like a dumb idea but ... I want to set up a sorta two tier archive system ... Archive once to keep the PST folders small say keep everything within the last 3 months in the first archive have it accessable say for the last years worth of email, but archive anything older then a year to a new archive folder that can be burned off to a dvd or cd for filing.. Any thoughts or recommendations? Use Auto-archiving feature in Outlook to do this. You could set it up so it archives mail older than 12 months to a file named archive.pst and burn that pst file ...

Saving from 2007 to 2003
I have a user that has Excel 2007 - She saves the spreasheet in 2003 format (Fiel is almsot 50 megs) When the 2003 user tries to oepn it, she get a error message: Excel cannot complete this task with avaliable resources. Choose less date or close other applications I have rebooted her machine and opened nothing but excel, same results I have installed the 2007 compatibility pack, same results THe computer is running WIndows XP Service Pack 3 with 2 gbs of ram Any suggestions would be appreciated Thank you ...