Archive Data - What are the Pros and COns

I am using MSMoney 04 and I will have to upgrade soon.  My current file is
large (4 disks to backup). What are the Pros and  Cons of using Money's
Archive feature?  How will it affect upgrading? How will it affect reports?
Such as Net Worth Over Time?


0
GregK
11/18/2006 1:36:59 PM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

8 Replies
506 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 39

Having tried archiving, there are no pros and many cons.

It basically does not work as you probably expect.  Not much reduction in 
file size and no speed gain.

There is absolutely no reason to archive that I can find and I certainly 
would not consider it.

And archiving destroys your ability to access old data in reports.  Don't 
know about upgrading.  Probably mess that up too.

How big is your file?  Four disks tells us nothing.  What size disks?

Big files are not a problem in modern computers.  Hard drives are now huge 
and removable storage is cheap.  Use extra hard drives (internal or 
external) for daily, weekly, etc backups  Use CDs, or DVDs or better yet, 
USB drives for safe, off system storage and backup.  Never use floppy disks 
for backup, they are too small and way too unreliable.

Regards

Bill Wood



"GregK" <gregkann(remove)@comcast(remove).net> wrote in message 
news:exulhaxCHHA.468@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I am using MSMoney 04 and I will have to upgrade soon.  My current file is
> large (4 disks to backup). What are the Pros and  Cons of using Money's
> Archive feature?  How will it affect upgrading? How will it affect 
> reports?
> Such as Net Worth Over Time?
>
> 


0
William
11/18/2006 1:56:25 PM
Hi Greg,

I agree with William that archiving gives you lots of trouble and it doesn't 
solve what you want. I recently tried to get my file smaller and faster by 
reducing the number of transactions. I grouped all the groceries - expenses 
from one month and made 1 transaction. I thus kept the monthly data but 
could sometimes reduce 10 to 12 transactions to 1. The filesize went from 33 
to 31.5 Mb, so no significant profit there. However, I have the impression 
that I do have quicker access to accounts, and switch faster between them. 
And especially reports over a long period, that include these groceries, 
open quicker than before. It's a bit of work but I thought of a way to ease 
things up. Yet you still have to delete all the transactions manually and 
make one transaction represent the cost of the whole month. I do that since 
with my grocery-expenses by adding all costs to one transaction a month.

I use M07.

Bye,

Eric

"William R Wood" <secret@???.net> schreef in bericht 
news:OLQbblxCHHA.4256@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Having tried archiving, there are no pros and many cons.
>
> It basically does not work as you probably expect.  Not much reduction in 
> file size and no speed gain.
>
> There is absolutely no reason to archive that I can find and I certainly 
> would not consider it.
>
> And archiving destroys your ability to access old data in reports.  Don't 
> know about upgrading.  Probably mess that up too.
>
> How big is your file?  Four disks tells us nothing.  What size disks?
>
> Big files are not a problem in modern computers.  Hard drives are now huge 
> and removable storage is cheap.  Use extra hard drives (internal or 
> external) for daily, weekly, etc backups  Use CDs, or DVDs or better yet, 
> USB drives for safe, off system storage and backup.  Never use floppy 
> disks for backup, they are too small and way too unreliable.
>
> Regards
>
> Bill Wood
>
>
>
> "GregK" <gregkann(remove)@comcast(remove).net> wrote in message 
> news:exulhaxCHHA.468@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>I am using MSMoney 04 and I will have to upgrade soon.  My current file is
>> large (4 disks to backup). What are the Pros and  Cons of using Money's
>> Archive feature?  How will it affect upgrading? How will it affect 
>> reports?
>> Such as Net Worth Over Time?
>>
>>
>
> 


0
Email1719 (7)
11/18/2006 2:22:59 PM
All pain. No gain. Can't be undone. Renders older data not quite but close 
to useless.

My file has 13+ years of data and fits on 9 floppies.

Summary: don't even consider it unless you truly do not care about keeping 
the older data.

"GregK" <gregkann(remove)@comcast(remove).net> wrote in message 
news:exulhaxCHHA.468@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I am using MSMoney 04 and I will have to upgrade soon.  My current file is
> large (4 disks to backup). What are the Pros and  Cons of using Money's
> Archive feature?  How will it affect upgrading? How will it affect 
> reports?
> Such as Net Worth Over Time?
>
> 


0
11/18/2006 2:31:21 PM
It is believed that stock price history is a space hogger and it could be 
worthwhile deleting historic prices for stocks you no longer own/no longer 
have an interest in.

-- 
Regards
Bob Peel,
Microsoft MVP - Money

For UK tips & fixes see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny.


I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for.

"Eric" <Email@delthistiscali.nl> wrote in message 
news:455f173f$0$756$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...
> Hi Greg,
>
> I agree with William that archiving gives you lots of trouble and it 
> doesn't solve what you want. I recently tried to get my file smaller and 
> faster by reducing the number of transactions. I grouped all the 
> groceries - expenses from one month and made 1 transaction. I thus kept 
> the monthly data but could sometimes reduce 10 to 12 transactions to 1. 
> The filesize went from 33 to 31.5 Mb, so no significant profit there. 
> However, I have the impression that I do have quicker access to accounts, 
> and switch faster between them. And especially reports over a long period, 
> that include these groceries, open quicker than before. It's a bit of work 
> but I thought of a way to ease things up. Yet you still have to delete all 
> the transactions manually and make one transaction represent the cost of 
> the whole month. I do that since with my grocery-expenses by adding all 
> costs to one transaction a month.
>
> I use M07.
>
> Bye,
>
> Eric
>
> "William R Wood" <secret@???.net> schreef in bericht 
> news:OLQbblxCHHA.4256@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Having tried archiving, there are no pros and many cons.
>>
>> It basically does not work as you probably expect.  Not much reduction in 
>> file size and no speed gain.
>>
>> There is absolutely no reason to archive that I can find and I certainly 
>> would not consider it.
>>
>> And archiving destroys your ability to access old data in reports.  Don't 
>> know about upgrading.  Probably mess that up too.
>>
>> How big is your file?  Four disks tells us nothing.  What size disks?
>>
>> Big files are not a problem in modern computers.  Hard drives are now 
>> huge and removable storage is cheap.  Use extra hard drives (internal or 
>> external) for daily, weekly, etc backups  Use CDs, or DVDs or better yet, 
>> USB drives for safe, off system storage and backup.  Never use floppy 
>> disks for backup, they are too small and way too unreliable.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Bill Wood
>>
>>
>>
>> "GregK" <gregkann(remove)@comcast(remove).net> wrote in message 
>> news:exulhaxCHHA.468@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>>I am using MSMoney 04 and I will have to upgrade soon.  My current file 
>>>is
>>> large (4 disks to backup). What are the Pros and  Cons of using Money's
>>> Archive feature?  How will it affect upgrading? How will it affect 
>>> reports?
>>> Such as Net Worth Over Time?
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
bob_peel2056 (736)
11/18/2006 3:08:17 PM
"Eric" <Email@delthistiscali.nl> wrote in message 
news:455f173f$0$756$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...
> Hi Greg,
>
> I agree with William that archiving gives you lots of trouble and it 
> doesn't solve what you want. I recently tried to get my file smaller and 
> faster by reducing the number of transactions. I grouped all the 
> groceries - expenses from one month and made 1 transaction. I thus kept 
> the monthly data but could sometimes reduce 10 to 12 transactions to 1. 
> The filesize went from 33 to 31.5 Mb, so no significant profit there. 
> However, I have the impression that I do have quicker access to accounts, 
> and switch faster between them. And especially reports over a long period, 
> that include these groceries, open quicker than before. It's a bit of work 
> but I thought of a way to ease things up. Yet you still have to delete all 
> the transactions manually and make one transaction represent the cost of 
> the whole month. I do that since with my grocery-expenses by adding all 
> costs to one transaction a month.
>
> I use M07.
>
> Bye,
>
> Eric
>

Eric,

If I may make a suggestion.  Not to criticize but to help.  You should stop 
combining your individual grocery payments into one monthly transaction. 
This is a massive amount of work that requires deleting actual transactions 
and substituting a made-up transaction for real facts.  Very bad idea.  If 
you ever need the deleted information for some reason, what are you going to 
do?  What if you make a mistake, how are you going to reconcile to the bank 
statement if you delete real transactions.

Unless you did this combining work for many years of data there is no way 
you would speed up your file more than a micro-second.  Even if you did it 
for 40 years, reports might come up 1 second faster if you are lucky.  Your 
data file is big, but I guarantee you that it is not slowed down in any way 
by your grocery transactions.  If I were you I would go back and re-enter 
all your actual grocery transactions so your records are accurate and do not 
contain any made-up entries.

If you want Money to run faster find out the real cause of any delay.  Why 
is your file so big.  As Bob P said maybe you are storing unnecessary stock 
history.  I have all transaction data in my Money file going back to 1980 
and my Money file is only 30mb.  And I have lots of accounts and lots of 
transactions.  And my Money file is fast.  As fast as it ever was.  Database 
files can be large and still run fast.  Maybe you need a new computer?  Fast 
hardware really works.  Eliminating real facts does not make your file 
faster and it can come back to haunt you.

Regards


Bill Wood 


0
William
11/19/2006 1:30:30 AM
Hi William,

Thanks for your advice,

My reports did open quicker; I don't need a faster PC, as you may have seen 
yourself, Money itself seems to be the bottleneck. I haven't seen an 
improvement when I went from 1024 to 2048 mb of internal memory, nor when I 
got a faster mainboard or faster processor (3.0 gHz).
I am not running several other programs and I use Money quite a lot (that 
seems to help too). I did not have a big issue with speed because I think 
that it opens pretty quick and reports open pretty quick. I avoid opening 
the homepage although I adjusted it not to show too many reports.

I can not think of any reason why grocery-expenses would be neccessary, 
other than monthly totals (although I rarely want to compare to other years 
on a monthly base). I didn't have an issue with reconciling. I made up one 
transaction to get my account to zero. When i deleted from one month all but 
one transaction, this one transaction would have to cause the balance to 
become zero again. Very easy, not much calculating needed and no problem 
with reconciling.

I offered this as a better idea than the archiving option. You seem to be 
sure that there would be no advantage. But besides the stockpricehistory, 
the number of transactions money has to work with, is the main cause to slow 
it down.

Bye,

Eric
"William R Wood" <secret@???.net> schreef in bericht 
news:OGgw3p3CHHA.3228@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
> "Eric" <Email@delthistiscali.nl> wrote in message 
> news:455f173f$0$756$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> I agree with William that archiving gives you lots of trouble and it 
>> doesn't solve what you want. I recently tried to get my file smaller and 
>> faster by reducing the number of transactions. I grouped all the 
>> groceries - expenses from one month and made 1 transaction. I thus kept 
>> the monthly data but could sometimes reduce 10 to 12 transactions to 1. 
>> The filesize went from 33 to 31.5 Mb, so no significant profit there. 
>> However, I have the impression that I do have quicker access to accounts, 
>> and switch faster between them. And especially reports over a long 
>> period, that include these groceries, open quicker than before. It's a 
>> bit of work but I thought of a way to ease things up. Yet you still have 
>> to delete all the transactions manually and make one transaction 
>> represent the cost of the whole month. I do that since with my 
>> grocery-expenses by adding all costs to one transaction a month.
>>
>> I use M07.
>>
>> Bye,
>>
>> Eric
>>
>
> Eric,
>
> If I may make a suggestion.  Not to criticize but to help.  You should 
> stop combining your individual grocery payments into one monthly 
> transaction. This is a massive amount of work that requires deleting 
> actual transactions and substituting a made-up transaction for real facts. 
> Very bad idea.  If you ever need the deleted information for some reason, 
> what are you going to do?  What if you make a mistake, how are you going 
> to reconcile to the bank statement if you delete real transactions.
>
> Unless you did this combining work for many years of data there is no way 
> you would speed up your file more than a micro-second.  Even if you did it 
> for 40 years, reports might come up 1 second faster if you are lucky. 
> Your data file is big, but I guarantee you that it is not slowed down in 
> any way by your grocery transactions.  If I were you I would go back and 
> re-enter all your actual grocery transactions so your records are accurate 
> and do not contain any made-up entries.
>
> If you want Money to run faster find out the real cause of any delay.  Why 
> is your file so big.  As Bob P said maybe you are storing unnecessary 
> stock history.  I have all transaction data in my Money file going back to 
> 1980 and my Money file is only 30mb.  And I have lots of accounts and lots 
> of transactions.  And my Money file is fast.  As fast as it ever was. 
> Database files can be large and still run fast.  Maybe you need a new 
> computer?  Fast hardware really works.  Eliminating real facts does not 
> make your file faster and it can come back to haunt you.
>
> Regards
>
>
> Bill Wood
> 


0
nomail545 (24)
11/19/2006 7:24:32 AM
I think spending tracker is usually identified as the worst source of 
slowdowns, by far, not the number of transactions.
-- 
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL



"Eric" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:456006ba$0$744$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...
>
> I offered this as a better idea than the archiving option. You seem to be 
> sure that there would be no advantage. But besides the stockpricehistory, 
> the number of transactions money has to work with, is the main cause to 
> slow it down. 


0
spam_magnet (1210)
11/19/2006 8:30:53 PM
In article <exulhaxCHHA.468@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, "GregK" <gregkann
(remove)@comcast(remove).net> says...
> I am using MSMoney 04 and I will have to upgrade soon.  My current file is
> large (4 disks to backup). What are the Pros and  Cons of using Money's
> Archive feature?  How will it affect upgrading? How will it affect reports?
> Such as Net Worth Over Time?
> 
> 
> 

I have to agree with the others: archiving your Money file is a bad 
idea. Even if you archive unwanted transactions belonging to closed 
accounts, there are unexpected consequences, especially if you have any 
transactions involving transfers or payments between accounts. There are 
really no advantages to doing it, and lots of disadvantages.

-- Brett
0
11/21/2006 6:43:47 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

multiple data label formats
Is it possible from a single data range to create a chart (pie) wit data labels of both "show percent" and "show value" next to each other The wizard only lets you pick one and I've got a large number of thes to do so i'd rather not put it in manually. Any help is appreciated Thanks, To -- ob3ron0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ob3ron02's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1545 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27275 Hi, You will need to use a he...

Excel2000: Custom data validation and named ranges
As I didn't get any answer to my previous question on similar subject, I'll make a new attempt with somewhat simpler examples. Let's me have a custom data validation defined for some range of cells. P.e. I select the range A1:A10 and set custom validation formula as =AND(A1>=0,A1<=100). Now only entries between 0 and 100 (or empty cell) are allowed. When tested, data validation works. Now I define (the range A1:A10 is selected) a named range MyRange =$A$1:$A$10 , and modify the data validation formula (for cell A1) to =AND(MyRange>=0,MyRange<=100) Now any entry is all...

move to archived folders works, archiving to same archived folders does not work
We are using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000. Most of our users work on Terminal Server. Their pst-files are stored on a directory on the file and print server. Some of these users can move mails from their mailbox to their archived folders, but cannot archive to it. They get the message that the pst file cannot be opened. However at that moment they can still browse in their archived folders, move mail to it and so on. For one user I created a new pst file, but the problem staid the same. Does anyone have experience with this? ...

Macro to Refresh External data
Good afternoon, I try to record a macro to refresh external data but the macro recorder does not give me anything once I refresh the query and stop the recording. Does anyone knows why? Or better if you know the VBA to make this happen -even when the data sheet is hidden- let me know. Thanks in advance and greetings from south Fla. Apprentice, This is the code the recorder generated when I tried a refresh on a text file import. Range("A1").Select Selection.QueryTable.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False You'd probably change it to something like: Range("A1&quo...

Archive
Hi, I'm trying to archive some calendar items and have found the archive settings for the folder. When I run the archive process the items are not moved from the calendar and the folder size is not reduced. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to set this up so that items prior to a point in time can be moved off so that the size of my calendar folder doesn't reach the size limit of my over zealous exchange administrator. Cheers, Darren. Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date Outlook uses to...

What does Excel do when you go over the limit for total data point
The maximum number of total data points in a plot is 256,000. However, I have setup plots with > 1.5 million data points. Excel does not complain about this, but I'm guessing it is still only showing 256,000 points. The thing is, I can't figure out which 256,000 it is showing. I don't think it's just the first 256,000 because the data is sorted and it would look abruptly cutoff after the 256,000th point. I'm using a scatterplot if that helps. The plot looks correct, with gradually decreasing density towards the outer edges of the plot. But if it's only ...

Open Entry Form to existing data
Hi, I have an entry form - I would like to be able to put in the ID and Date and have the form showing the data for that. Currently it's on open to Edit form - and shows the first record - I would like to be able to type in the IDNO in the IDNo Text Box and enter the date and it will show the corresponding data, thus it should also load to a blank form. Thanks Leave the form in edit mode, so that it loads all records. Set the form's On Load property to: [Event Procedure] Then click the button button (...) beside the property. Access opens the code window. Set up the code like ...

Compare data #3
Hi I wonder if we can have dual display in a cell. Exemple, i have a list of number and i would like to compare them with the previous in the list and display the difference in percentage in (parentesis) beside the value. ...

Stupid question about SPS & Excel data modification
Hi, I have a stupid question here: while using SPS2003, I can modify the data of the list webpart in excel sheet (either by the OWC or Excel), after click the sync button, it could write the data back to the SPS2003 (to save the data to the SQL Server through SPS2003). How could this happened ? Can anyone tell me some concept of this ? Or show me the topic / technical information for me to learn ? ...

Archiving pages
Hi All, The pages in one of the our publishing site are around 1500. So it?s showing effect on search crawling index and sometimes throwing an error like System out of memory (usually in full crawl). Our ram size is 4 gb for index server. Is there any method for archive the pages in page document library. And the important thing is the data must be handy, so the archival process should accommodate ability to retrieve the archived content quickly. pls suggest me. Thanks in Advance sukumar.k Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Consuming WebServices...

Excel refreshing of data. Not happening. Hoiw Bizzaar
Hi There. So each time I change a cell the auto sum does not add up the change just keeps the original summed figure there....until you click on Save. The Sumed total then displays correctly. Any ideas on how i get excel to perform normally again. The file is about 1Mb Tools>options>calculations set it to automatic -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C6A7649-CEDE-4A60-B597-F264E8612C12@microsoft.com... > Hi There. > So each time I change a cell the auto sum does not add up the change just > k...

Transfer data
I don't get an error but it also does not update my table!! This code should create a new record in table: tblQualityProvider then copy ICNNo into the new record. (The GetNewID comes from a public function - I pasted it below this code). Private Sub cmdProv_Click() Dim gappname As String Dim lCriteria As String Dim lICCNNO As String Dim lRacfid As String lICCNNO = Me!ICNNo If MsgBox("Any Message") = vbYes Then DoCmd.SetWarnings False Dim lID As Long lID = GetNewID("tblQualityProvider") lCriteria ...

Writing a HEX file binary data
Hi I am trying to write to hex file , this is my first time writing to file in windows vista, So first i will let the user to create it by the "CFileDialog" and then save it, and Then i want to write to the file some data, here is the code i used: //to save the file CFileDialog dialog(FALSE,_T("hex"), FilePath, 0, _T("Hex File (*.hex)"), this); if (dialog.DoModal() == IDOK) { .... } //open the file for write ,lets say the user choose zack.hex. nFile = fopen ("C:\Users\user\Documents\IM\coding_PROJECTS\zack.hex","w"); //write to the file 5 c...

deleting empty folders after archive
IS there a way to delete folders which are left empty after you perform an archive? I have approx 300 or so folders that are empty since my archive application completed but they still show up and there seems to be no way except one at a time to delete them. There should be a method to state if folder size = 0 then delete folder. Shane ...

how to input consecutive alphabet data?
how to input consecutive alphabet data? for example a, b, c etc, k_a, k_b, k_c, etc. news, Put 97 in B1, then copy it down with the fill hjndle holding the Ctrl key. That will give you 98, 99, etc. Put this formula in cell A1: ="k_" & CHAR(B1) COpy it down with the fill handle -- Regards from Virginia Beach, Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "news.microsoft.com" <whoknows@microsft.com> wrote in message news:OsUAzGDoIHA.3892@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > how to input consecutive alphabet ...

Archival Data -- Managing over Time
I am developing a set of data that I will do some research on, and others as well. My plan is to keep the source data in one workbook in a very simple format, and not do any calculations or charts in that workbook. I'll do my charts in other workbooks, and will send the source data workbook to others when they request. The idea is to reduce corruption and accidental modifications to the source data over time. Is this a good plan? Any other comments about how to protect the accuracy and stability of the source data over time? I understand I can essentially make the source file read...

Pivot table
Hi I have a pivot table with some exhaustive data. When I put in the one of the fields "Costs" in the data area , excel automatically does a count of the costs or if I go in options it gives me choices of Sum, % of and etc. But I just want the basic value of the costs to show up.. no calculations> it seems I cannot find how to do that. Please help asap. Thanks Yusuf. The idea behind a pivot table is to provide a summary of single items of data grouped into counts or sums etc. You can get around this by placing your column COSTS in either the ROW or COLUMN sections. This...

duplicate messages when opening archives / archive inbox emptied?
Outlook appears to be re-downloading all messages (700+) from my hotmail pop3 account. (again...) This only (?) appears to happen on the same days when I try and find an archived email in my inbox. The two times that it has happened today (it has never happened twice on one day before), I was working on a Word document. So I was not deleting emails at the time. (I have seen an errata re to message IDs getting out of sync, but this looks like a different problem.) I do not think that it is my Norton anti-virus. I have disabled the email portion of the software after the fir...

Charting Progress Data
Hello, I am working with Excel 2007. I am looking to chart some data and I can not figure out how it is possible. I want to create a chart that shows how students have performed on a test (# of students at a certain level) and show the progress towards meeting a target. It would display the data for 9 categories of students. I am thinking that a scatter plot for the target number for each category and a bar graph of the # students at or above that level for each category. I am having a hard time creating that on one chart. I can do the scatter plot, and I can do the bar graph bu...

generating normally distributed data
Hi, Is there any function that can generate normally distributed data (wit mean and variance as input)? Tks, Maca -- mac ----------------------------------------------------------------------- maca's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2489 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38831 This Google search gives lots of answers http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&num=10&q=excel+microsoft+%28gaussian+OR+normal+probability%29+group%3A*excel*&safe=off&qt_s=Search best wishes -- Bernard...

Archive an Archive?
LOL, i'm sure this will sound like a dumb idea but ... I want to set up a sorta two tier archive system ... Archive once to keep the PST folders small say keep everything within the last 3 months in the first archive have it accessable say for the last years worth of email, but archive anything older then a year to a new archive folder that can be burned off to a dvd or cd for filing.. Any thoughts or recommendations? Use Auto-archiving feature in Outlook to do this. You could set it up so it archives mail older than 12 months to a file named archive.pst and burn that pst file ...

Data Feed from Stock market
Folks; Does anyone know if commercial software like Microsoft Money can be used to take a stock market data feed & easily create customized reports? Thanks, Jo. Excel might be a better choice. -- Michael Gordon <JoJo> wrote in message news:OfJcJpFhHHA.4600@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Folks; > > > > Does anyone know if commercial software like Microsoft Money can be used > to take a stock market data feed & easily create customized reports? > > > Thanks, > Jo. > > > > ...

Data Entry on a form
My client wants to have data entered that shows several fields to update just like it is a report. ie Splist Fld1 Fld2 Fld3 Fld4 etc A 5 6 7 8 B 5 9 5 4 C 6 7 3 1 etc. etc. How do I make the screen to populate multiple rows showing data to update? Try using a CrossTab query. There is a wizard to help. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.accessmvp.com http://www.mvps.org/access "Bunky" <Bunky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Archive
Has there been a resolution to this as I have a member of staff with the exact same problem and I have to give him and endless cap :/ EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

Backing up data
When you use the backup utility in Great Plains and back upo the system and the company, does this make a backup of the SQL databases as well or do you have to do that seperately? Thanks! Using the backup utility from within Great Plains backs up only the SQL databases. Your modified forms and reports (for instance) are not backed up. None of the non-sql files are backed up -- Jim "Robert" wrote: > When you use the backup utility in Great Plains and back upo the system and > the company, does this make a backup of the SQL databases as well or do you > have to d...