Anyway to transfer Money to a new computer?

I purchased and downloaded Money 2007 Home and Business some time ago. I now
have a new laptop, and have learned that I can no longer download the product
(time has passed).

My old system is still operational -- is there any way for me to transfer
the application? Does Microsoft expect us to re-purchase with each new
system? (lame)
0
kjcb (1)
3/22/2009 6:54:02 PM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

"kjcb" <kjcb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased and downloaded Money 2007 Home and Business some time ago. I
>now
> have a new laptop, and have learned that I can no longer download the
> product
> (time has passed).
>
> My old system is still operational -- is there any way for me to transfer
> the application? Does Microsoft expect us to re-purchase with each new
> system? (lame)

I don't know what Microsoft expects, but what did you expect?  Purchase
instructions make it clear that if you want to download again, you have to
pay extra for that privilege; so you knew that you could not download it
again.  Therefore, the simplest thing to have done to protect your purchase
(as is best practice with all downloaded software) was to have burned a copy
of the downloaded file to a CD (or DVD).  If you choose to buy Plus (and eat
the cost as a lesson learned), be sure this time to save a copy of the
downloaded file to external media.
--
Peace,
BobJ

0
Privacy1 (389)
3/22/2009 10:12:16 PM
And the activation key...

BTW, how many other applications did you install on your previous computer
that you've been able to transfer to the new one?

"Marilyn & Bob" <Privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
> If you choose to buy Plus (and eat the cost as a lesson learned), be sure
> this time to save a copy of the downloaded file to external media.

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:01:00 -0600, "Dick Watson"
<littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote:

>And the activation key...
>
>BTW, how many other applications did you install on your previous computer
>that you've been able to transfer to the new one?
>
>"Marilyn & Bob" <Privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
>> If you choose to buy Plus (and eat the cost as a lesson learned), be sure
>> this time to save a copy of the downloaded file to external media.

I had my old computer just die and had hoped to be able to transfer it
to the new computer.  I made an install CD and have the activation key
but it does not work ("invalid").  MS phone help said the key
(particularly 2 letters that are "never used" must be wrong but I have
it printed out twice and also verified it by going to the digital
river site and entering the order #.  WIll contact Digital River to
see what my options are.
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:13:13 -0500, kaplan3jiim@example.com wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:01:00 -0600, "Dick Watson"
><littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote:
>
>>And the activation key...
>>
>>BTW, how many other applications did you install on your previous computer
>>that you've been able to transfer to the new one?
>>
>>"Marilyn & Bob" <Privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
>>> If you choose to buy Plus (and eat the cost as a lesson learned), be sure
>>> this time to save a copy of the downloaded file to external media.
>>
>I had my old computer just die and had hoped to be able to transfer it
>to the new computer.  I made an install CD and have the activation key
>but it does not work ("invalid").  MS phone help said the key
>(particularly 2 letters that are "never used" must be wrong but I have
>it printed out twice and also verified it by going to the digital
>river site and entering the order #.  WIll contact Digital River to
>see what my options are.

Exact same key worked today while I was on the phone with DIgital
RIver. They wanted me to enter it and fail to provide them some (I
can't recall what) information.  Coincidence? I triple checked the
entry on Saturday when it did not work.
You won't get any other advice here except "you need to buy MS Money once
again". This is a standard MS policy :))))))

"kjcb" <kjcb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased and downloaded Money 2007 Home and Business some time ago. I
>now
> have a new laptop, and have learned that I can no longer download the
> product
> (time has passed).
>
> My old system is still operational -- is there any way for me to transfer
> the application? Does Microsoft expect us to re-purchase with each new
> system? (lame)

0
bullka (20)
3/24/2009 6:27:30 AM
We told the OP that if he'd kept the installation file and the keys (s)he'd
have no problem. That was the OPs choice. Nobody at Microsoft or among
regular posters here think the OP isn't entitled to re-use the previous
installation file and keys to reinstall.

Frankly, the attitude, that all too many Money users take, that they should
be entitled to use whatever version of Money they want to use whenever they
want to use it for as long as they want to use it without actually paying
Microsoft any money is a significant part of why we may well have seen the
last of Money development.

"bullka" <bullka@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You won't get any other advice here except "you need to buy MS Money once
> again". This is a standard MS policy :))))))

Nobody argues that we don't want to pay for a product we use. But
Microsoft's approach that "if you lost a key of your house, you need to buy
a new house" is very very archaic.

I don't know any other product in the market with such a dumb approach...

Take any random piece of software and all are the same: you're getting
installation key (or you're generating it online) and you can download
installation files as many times as you want (even not from the vendors
site). But in Money case: you're getting unique installation media (though
nobody proved that it's unique) and you can't download it again unless you
pay for such service :)) Please admit... sounds stupid.

message news:eCnXSfOrJHA.2552@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> We told the OP that if he'd kept the installation file and the keys
> (s)he'd have no problem. That was the OPs choice. Nobody at Microsoft or
> among regular posters here think the OP isn't entitled to re-use the
>
> Frankly, the attitude, that all too many Money users take, that they
> should be entitled to use whatever version of Money they want to use
> whenever they want to use it for as long as they want to use it without
> actually paying Microsoft any money is a significant part of why we may
> well have seen the last of Money development.
>
> "bullka" <bullka@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> You won't get any other advice here except "you need to buy MS Money once
>> again". This is a standard MS policy :))))))

0
bullka (20)
3/25/2009 4:52:30 AM
In microsoft.public.money, bullka wrote:

>Nobody argues that we don't want to pay for a product we use. But
>Microsoft's approach that "if you lost a key of your house, you need to buy
>a new house" is very very archaic.

Car dealers sure charge a lot to replace a lost key for newer
vehicles.  ;-)
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
3/25/2009 5:09:27 AM
:D :)

> In microsoft.public.money, bullka wrote:
>
>>Nobody argues that we don't want to pay for a product we use. But
>>Microsoft's approach that "if you lost a key of your house, you need to
>>buy
>>a new house" is very very archaic.
>
> Car dealers sure charge a lot to replace a lost key for newer
> vehicles.  ;-)

0
bullka (20)
3/25/2009 5:51:01 AM
If you lose the key to your house, the locksmith charges you to come break in
and then to re-key the locks or cut a key to the tumblers in the lock he just
took apart. In the case of Money, how could they charge less than the cost of
a new license and cover the costs of that sale?

If you forget where your house is, nobody give you a new house for free.

I just can't get worked up that MS owes people protection from losing that
which they paid to get in the first place: a file and a key to use that file.
If you buy a tool and then lose the tool, does Home Desperate give you a new
tool?

And ALL of this is explained at the point of purchase and in the supplied
materials. Not to mention has been thrashed to death here before.

"bullka" wrote:

> Nobody argues that we don't want to pay for a product we use. But
> Microsoft's approach that "if you lost a key of your house, you need to buy
> a new house" is very very archaic.
>
> I don't know any other product in the market with such a dumb approach...
>
> Take any random piece of software and all are the same: you're getting
> installation key (or you're generating it online) and you can download
> installation files as many times as you want (even not from the vendors
> site). But in Money case: you're getting unique installation media (though
> nobody proved that it's unique) and you can't download it again unless you
> pay for such service :)) Please admit... sounds stupid.
My situation seems somewhat similar - but I must include that I've been a
Money user since 2003 (and absolute fan) and have purchased several upgrades,
the last of which was Money Plus Deluxe (2008) on 9/1/2008, having purchased
and received an installation CD from Digital River. I also have the Product
Key.

My 6+ yr old Dell is dying and displaying abnormal behavior.  I have a new
PC enroute at this minute.  I want to retire and format my old PC once I have
transferred all my documents over.  Can I install my 2008 Money Plus Deluxe
onto the new computer?  I pulled up the Licensing Info, which stated:

11. TRANSFER TO ANOTHER DEVICE.
You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your
use.  You may not do so to share this license between devices.

Based on the above, it appears I can legally install it (transfer) to my new
PC.  Can someone provide me with your understanding?  Thank you.

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> If you lose the key to your house, the locksmith charges you to come break in
> and then to re-key the locks or cut a key to the tumblers in the lock he just
> took apart. In the case of Money, how could they charge less than the cost of
> a new license and cover the costs of that sale?
>
> If you forget where your house is, nobody give you a new house for free.
>
> I just can't get worked up that MS owes people protection from losing that
> which they paid to get in the first place: a file and a key to use that file.
> If you buy a tool and then lose the tool, does Home Desperate give you a new
> tool?
>
> And ALL of this is explained at the point of purchase and in the supplied
> materials. Not to mention has been thrashed to death here before.
>
> "bullka" wrote:
>
> > Nobody argues that we don't want to pay for a product we use. But
> > Microsoft's approach that "if you lost a key of your house, you need to buy
> > a new house" is very very archaic.
> >
> > I don't know any other product in the market with such a dumb approach...
> >
> > Take any random piece of software and all are the same: you're getting
> > installation key (or you're generating it online) and you can download
> > installation files as many times as you want (even not from the vendors
> > site). But in Money case: you're getting unique installation media (though
> > nobody proved that it's unique) and you can't download it again unless you
> > pay for such service :)) Please admit... sounds stupid.
0
CMC (9)
3/26/2009 6:23:01 PM
Since you have the installation CD and the product key, you should be fine.
There is no legal impediment to doing this.  To be in compliance, you simply
need to remove Money from your old machine, either by uninstalling it or
reformatting the hard drive.  There are certain things you should know about
installing Money on a VISTA machine that others here can help you with.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"CMC" <CMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> "bullka" wrote:
>>
>> > Nobody argues that we don't want to pay for a product we use. But
>> > Microsoft's approach that "if you lost a key of your house, you need to
>> > buy
>> > a new house" is very very archaic.
>> >
>> > I don't know any other product in the market with such a dumb
>> > approach...
>> >
>> > Take any random piece of software and all are the same: you're getting
>> > installation key (or you're generating it online) and you can download
>> > installation files as many times as you want (even not from the vendors
>> > site). But in Money case: you're getting unique installation media
>> > (though
>> > nobody proved that it's unique) and you can't download it again unless
>> > you
>> > pay for such service :)) Please admit... sounds stupid.

Money Putting Transactions Into Wrong Account
I made a payment from my checking to my line of credit using the bills summary. I keepo all my bill payments there. When I updated the transaction was put into the wrong account by Money. I double checked the transaction and went online to check and the money was payed to the proper account. So it appears I did everything properly. Has anyone had this happen with Money version 17.... James In microsoft.public.money, JamesJ wrote: >I made a payment from my checking to my line of credit using the >bills summary. I keepo all my bill payments there. When I updated >the transaction was...

Is there anyway to simplify the Deployment process?
Hello, I am looking for any best practices that will aid in deplyment of my application. My application has one SQL 2008 database. When I make changes and update/upgrade the schema, I need to track the changes and prepare a script to deliver to each of my Clients. They run the script and everything is wonderful again. However, the issue I have been facing is that different Users are at different levels of patches applied. So, for instance, User 1 may be running a version from last December, while User 2 is running a version from last Tuesday. When patches to the schema/stored pr...

How do I transfer '98 version data to 2004 version?
I have 4 years of data/usage invested in Money 98 and I want to start using the latest version of Money. Is it possible to transfer all of my '98 data over to the new version? Yes. This thread is done every few days and is treated in the FAQ. If you want to know more than you asked, you might read the posts or search the archives of the group at http://groups.google.com. "Dallas" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052401c3990d$29834840$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have 4 years of data/usage invested in Money 98 and I > want to start using the...

Transfer between accounts #4
Hi, I'm using 2008 deluxe edition. I use online service to update my bank and credit card accounts. I came across one post (Subject: funds transfer to another account) in which 'Dick Watson' suggested using special category 'Transfer' for transaction where money is transfered from bank to credit card. But I'm facing problem here, when I select 'Transfer' category in bank, it adds new entry in credit card account, but due to online update that entry is already present there, so now I have 2 credit entries in credit card account. Is there any way to avoid ...

transfer data #2
how do I get data that auto updates totals and percentages to do so on another sheet ( sheet1 to sheet2), in other words I've made a spreadsheet that is a daily sheet that auto updates to a weekly total on sheet 1, I want to make another sheet to take weekly into monthly.. copy and paste leaves a #REF error. Use Copy / Pastespecial and choose the Paste Link option. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP <daddyosworld@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1194400267.088447.134560@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com... > how do I get data that auto updates totals and percentages to do so on > anoth...

IRA Transfer categorization M2007
There does not seem to be a good method of categorizing IRA transfers so as to indicate taxable income. There are some workararounds in the MSKB, but all have disadvantages. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/77796/en-us Is there anything new in M2007 in this area? --ron None I'm aware of. Money is 99.5% geared to acquiring, not spending down. "Ron Rosenfeld" <ronrosenfeld@nospam.org> wrote in message news:nu1lo2d8c2ruikvlajjjml4ilp2cs3elsh@4ax.com... > There does not seem to be a good method of categorizing IRA transfers so > as to > indicate taxable income. ...

Transfering folders in Outlook Express
I am transfering folders from Outlook Express from one pc to another. 99% of them transfered without a problem, but there is one that is being stubburn. There is one folder that is 616MB and I have it backed up onto a single cd, all of the others are backed up on to a second cd. When I create the folder in OE on the new pc and copy the .dbx file into the folder (this was found in OE > tools > options > maintenance > Store Folder), I am asked if i want to replace the current directory with the new one and I click on 'Yes'. It copies the contents and under Window...

Posting new data to PM & RM before year-end or fiscal period close
Hi GP Users, If I have already posted some new data before closing the old financial year, what are the possible problems that may happen when I close it? Any solutions to that? Thanks Andrew ...

Error 80070057
H I just installed a Exchange 2003 box as new server of a Exchange 5.5 site (exdeploy-tools) I didn't received any errors during install and mail flow between servers My issue is when I view the RUS properties it shows only Descriptio properties and when I try to generate a new RUS service I get the erro Exchange System Manager Invalid Argumen Facility: Win3 ID No: 8007005 Exchange System Manage I received the same error message when I try to generate a new Address Lis What is the problem The exchange service account is member of the following groups: local administrators, domain a...

How to customize Microsoft Money #2
Is there a way to programmatically customize Microsoft Money? Thanks, Luca Nope. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "lalberti" <lalberti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05E5ABF2-F745-4AE4-9148-737A1351B726@microsoft.com... > Is there a ...

Remove and/or transfer vouchers from a store (HQ environment)
We recently closed down a store. We are using the integrated voucher system within RMS. We have transferred all of the inventory from that store to a different store through HQ's, but is there a way to somehow transfer the vouchers also? If it's not possible to transfer the vouchers to the other store location, what is the best way to handle this? Somehow we need to get the vouchers out of one store and into the other one. Regards, Michael -- First District Association Michael, We have Global Voucher Addon that will do this for you. Please contact me for info. Ian McLean ...

Migrate KB articles to new Server
We have the CRM MSDN Subscriber license on our development network. We are a SBS 2000/20003/4.5 Solutions Provider and ISP. We have created SEVERAL KB articles for our customers use that we would like to provide them in the package we sell them of SBS and CRM. (Part of the customization we do) . We have NO luck in moving any DATA from one CRM install to another CRm install. DOes anyone have any suggestions or help to offer on this problem? Thank you Jimmy ...

Anyway to transfer Money to a new computer?
I purchased and downloaded Money 2007 Home and Business some time ago. I now have a new laptop, and have learned that I can no longer download the product (time has passed). My old system is still operational -- is there any way for me to transfer the application? Does Microsoft expect us to re-purchase with each new system? (lame) "kjcb" <kjcb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61FB8109-5199-467D-A7DB-A971FCB5F671@microsoft.com... >I purchased and downloaded Money 2007 Home and Business some time ago. I >now > have a new laptop, and have learned...

Money vs. Quicken #3
I've been doing a side-by-side comparison between Money 2005 Premier and Quicken 2005 Premier over the past week. I should also point out that I beta tested Money 2005 having been a loyal fan of Money since about 1999. The beta testers did point out most of the current issues and many others that did get fixed in time. Unfortunately, Quicken has problems that Money doesn't have. One, it's interface has always been rather poor compared to Money's. Quicken also seems to have severe problems with the process of accepting downloaded transactions. There appears to be no ...

Creating New Files in Money
I am attempting to set up Money files for my kids. I have used MSMoney ever since it came out, so I have not recently set up any new files. Each time I attempt to create a file, it walks me through the setup and at the point it tells me I am finished, the setup wizard closes and I get the MS dialog box telling me that there has been an error and that Money will shut down and asks to send an errror rpt to MS. I accept it and Money restarts and immeidiately shuts down again with the same error report. Any ideas? -- Joel Zinn Try skipping the wizard. Try opening the sample file. You migh...

inventory transfer #3
I was transferring inventory from one store to another. I received the inventory into the warehouse store and then issued and committed. Then I set up an interstore transfer to move the inventory from the warehouse store to retail store. I transferred out of the warehouse (issued all and then committed) Then I checked the transfer in for the retail store. I recieved multiple purchase orders and all but one transferred to the retail store. Now the inventory is not showing up in the retail store and has been transferred out of the warehouse store. Where did the inventory go and how...

Money 2000 to M2005
I tried the M2005 international Trial Version. Until now I run Money 2000. I decided to not upload to M2005. I do not find very important improvements to justify all the problems I found expecially in reporting. Are you simply stating your observations, or do you now have a problem? -- Chris Cowles Gainesville, FL "Luigi" <Luigi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A42D590-854E-428C-A8D9-77B024E04C13@microsoft.com... >I tried the M2005 international Trial Version. > Until now I run Money 2000. > I decided to not upload to M2005. I do not find very i...

paste new over existing data without pasting blanks?
I have a database with columns of numbers. I also have data from anothe source that has numbers but with blank spaces in between. Is it possible to paste the new data over the existing so that th contents of the original cells can be viewed at the points where th new data had blank spaces. Rather like putting a table cloth with hole over another talbe cloth. Is this possible -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This might work for you: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim origCell As Range Dim destCell As Range Dim origRng As Range Set origRng = Nothing O...

Money Plus problem
I recently upgraded to Ms Money Plus Deluxe from Money 2005. My old money file got converted to new money with no issues. I use money for online banking with two banks. With one bank I have no issues downloading my statements, transcations etc. However when I try to download transactions from other bank, I get error message "Money has encountered a problem. Program will be closed." When I acknowledge the message, money closes. I tried to create a new money file & tried to download transcation from this bank, still same problem. Need help. In microsoft.public.money, amitabhch@gm...

convert money 99 to money 2004
I am trying to upgrade from Money 99 to Money 2004 Premium. I'm using a Win98/PII/384ram/8gb free. Retail version of Money 2004 Premium wil not successfully convert 99 ..mbf or .mny file after several attempts. Have tried upgrading over existing Money 99 and uninstalling Money 99 and installing Money 2004. Have also tried converting these 99 files through the free trial dl as well to no avail. After each uninstall attempt, all remaining registry entries are deleted, and remaining files and folders also. During each install, background programs are disabled. The program itself installs...

Transfering toolbar settings to new computer
How do you transfer customized toolbar settings in Excel to another computer. I asked this question in regard to Word, and the answer was "copy the Normal.dot" file. Is therer a similar file in excel ? Search for a file named *.xlb. The exact name and location will depend on your version of Excel and Windows. Copy that file to the new machine and open it in Excel. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "CG at Abbott" <CGatAbbott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC585A1D-A816-44C...

Can't open new or existing mail, contacts or calendar items
I cannot open a new or existing email, contact or calendar item. I can access email by using the "View > Preview Pane" or by utilizing the reply of forward options and then completely editing the existing message and address. This then allows me to do any of the mail functions. I have upgrqded to Office and Windows XP from Office 2000 and Windoiws Me after this started. My aqssumption is a corrupted file but thought that the upgrades "should" have replaced it. We do not have an exchange server and everyone else's systenm in the offic eis fine. We are a 501...

New message toolbar when Word is email editor
Outlook 2003 I use Word 2003 as my (outgoing) email editor in Outlook. As a result, my various customized Word toolbars appear in an "Untitled Message" (i.e., new outgoing email message) window. Also, a generic Outlook toolbar appears, with buttons for "Send", insert (paper clip icon), etc. I haven't been able to figure out a way to customize this Outlook toolbar. When I attempt to customize the toolbars, only the Word toolbars can be customized. The Outlook toolbar is stuck in place; the buttons cannot be moved around; etc. Is there a way to customize this toolb...

new to money 2002
I would like to start using computer for managing my checking account, budget, investments (possibly). What would people recommend? I have microsoft money 2002. Should I get an updated version (if free) or use something else. Would appreciate anyones feedback. Thanks M02 was the last major mod before M05. It has, umm, some, umm, issues. M04 is an improvement in most all ways over M02. Unfortunately, M04 is becoming hard to find. I say unfortunately because M05 is not an improvement over M04 in many ways, improves on it in only some incredibly narrow areas of limited utility acros...

New to CRM Need Help ----Account, Contacts Setting up
Is there any way that I can set up our companys accounts and contact to only show in specific areas. IE: I need to have the companys Sales contact appear only in the Sale tab, not in all tabs.. Marketing, Service and Sales, just Sales... These account are shared by all users in our company. and need to have the same display. Thanks You can modify those settings via the SiteMap. Refer to the SDK for more info on modifying SiteMap. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Vicki Nekuza" <Hallie@nospam.com> wrote in message news:15688382e4de4e91aacec7b99940fd2d@ureader.com...