2007: how is the performance?

Is it faster?  Does the process close down properly every time?

thanks!

adam

0
someone913 (592)
7/21/2006 12:13:12 AM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, msnews.microsoft.com wrote:

>Is it faster?

For most things, I am not sure. However my files were not slow.

>  Does the process close down properly every time?

That speeded up for me. msmoney.exe shows as closed much quicker in
Task Manager, vs 5 seconds or so in 2006. Now how it will do for
somebody who had a really long closing cycle, I don't know.

>thanks!
>
>adam

0
via_newsgroup (13113)
7/21/2006 12:59:29 AM
I may get to that after dinner. Just got home. So many twelve hour days, so
little time.

In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:

>I may get to that after dinner. Just got home. So many twelve hour days, so
>little time.

If you get to that, you might also try the
File->Repair->RemoveBillsData on a slow copy of your file. Of course
getting rid of bills would hinder your usage, but it could be an
interesting experiment.

>"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message
>> Now how it will do for
>> somebody who had a really long closing cycle, I don't know.

0
via_newsgroup (13113)
7/21/2006 2:10:24 AM
Agreed on both counts. More on the first count.

As I type, M07 is copying from the key to the Big Disk In The Sky...

> Of course
> getting rid of bills would hinder your usage, but it could be an
> interesting experiment.

The experiment is underway.

Other M07 comments:

Performance doesn't seem much different than M06. I should view that as a
good thing compared to the possibility that it got worse. I don't.

It still runs on after "exit". It no longer whines about Money is already
running. It just ignores the attempt to open the file.  I suppose that's one
way of dealing with the complaints about the message.

My data file got smaller. That's never happened before.

It's tough to find anything that has changed much at all. I saw some things
that looked different--the fonts on Tools|Settings, the last balanced on
date on the register views--but nothing of any consequence. I haven't yet
tested to see if I can schedule classification of a loan payment, but my
hopes aren't high.

The new toy budget may or may not be a good thing--I just went to see the
thing, not to actually try to use it. Certainly the notion that one simple
maxim like "spend 60% of gross" is a universal budgeting solution seems
simian at best and just silly at worst. (What if I want so spend only 40%?
What if I'm at 70% and surviving fine? What if I just want to set targets
and track performance to them like people have been doing with budgets for
eons now?) So some MSN editor invented this thing? So what? If an MSN editor
invented one and one tenth entry accounting, would that make it good? The
good news is that if you have an existing Advanced Budget, you can keep
using Advanced Budget. The bad news appears to be that a new file only gets
the 60% toy. They're probably really proud of this. Seems like a step in the
direction of cookie jar and piggy back accounting to me. Surely we should
all think that heading toward removal of a complex, if problematic, feature
in favor of some goofy toy is not a good sign for the future.

Fifteen minutes later, it's still removing bills. For now, I'm running out
of other things to say about M07. I did note that it suggested using the
scheduled bill report to have a prayer of recovering from removing bills (if
you have performance problems or your budget is hosed up--why can't they
just fox whatever data there is that mungs it up?). That's problematic
advice. Unless they've radically improved that report, there's lots of info
that just doesn't come out in it like number remaining, method, approximate
value, paycheck tab info, and edited occurrences, etc.

Five more minutes and still it removes bills. I'm going to bed...

> If you get to that, you might also try the
> File->Repair->RemoveBillsData on a slow copy of your file. Of course
> getting rid of bills would hinder your usage, but it could be an
> interesting experiment.

In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:

>The new toy budget may or may not be a good thing--I just went to see the
>thing, not to actually try to use it. Certainly the notion that one simple
>maxim like "spend 60% of gross" is a universal budgeting solution seems
>simian at best and just silly at worst. (What if I want so spend only 40%?

I don't want to try to grok a budget. There is a help video where
they move away from the 60/40 ratio as an example. I thought it
quirky that car expenses became an irregular expense by virtue of
not being monthly.

>What if I'm at 70% and surviving fine? What if I just want to set targets
>and track performance to them like people have been doing with budgets for
>eons now?) So some MSN editor invented this thing? So what? If an MSN editor
>invented one and one tenth entry accounting, would that make it good? The
>good news is that if you have an existing Advanced Budget, you can keep
>using Advanced Budget. The bad news appears to be that a new file only gets
>the 60% toy.

There is also an "essential budget".

> They're probably really proud of this. Seems like a step in the
>direction of cookie jar and piggy back accounting to me. Surely we should
>all think that heading toward removal of a complex, if problematic, feature
>in favor of some goofy toy is not a good sign for the future.

I have not worked it thru at all, but the expenses and spending
budget seems to make more sense than the "essential budget". However
I have a problem thinking that any monthly budget that does not
carry over unspent funds does not match what I would hypothetically
want a budget to do. For some a budget should set targets to hit.
For me I would expect it to set targets to not exceed, but to carry
forward unspent money in a category. The concept that you spend it
or lose it sounds like a government method.
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
7/21/2006 5:14:35 AM
> Is it faster?  Does the process close down properly every time?

On my system (3.06GHz P4, 2GB RAM), Money 2006 uses 37 seconds of CPU
time just starting up (according to the task manager).  Money 2007
running in a VMware session opening the same data file takes exactly the
  same amount of CPU time.

Just judging from that I'd say there is no performance boost in 2007.

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/21/2006 7:27:25 AM
Rod wrote:
>> Is it faster?  Does the process close down properly every time?
>
> On my system (3.06GHz P4, 2GB RAM), Money 2006 uses 37 seconds of CPU
> time just starting up (according to the task manager).  Money 2007
> running in a VMware session opening the same data file takes exactly the
> same amount of CPU time.

Wow, I just tried the "remove all bills data" from the repair menu and
now Money only takes 5 seconds of CPU time to fully load.

I wonder what will happen after I add the bills back in there...?

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/21/2006 7:36:39 AM
Let me jump on another tail of this thread with part of my continuing M07
saga.

After my experiment, from the other branch of the thread, finally got done,
I observe the same thing. Just incredible performance gains. Is it FAST? No.
Is it way faster than it was? Yes. But I don't really know what to infer
from this.

I really can't say if the gain is across the whole app--though it looks
promising. The data is now so munged that I really can't use this file in
parallel testing with my M04 production machine/production data. I use the
feature heavily. I can't even get past today without having scheduled bills
to deal with.

Do I infer that I just shouldn't use the scheduled bills feature? Since I
manage to forecast cash flow, this seems pretty untenable to me.

Do I go spend a day or so recreating all of the bills hoping to find out
that it's still faster--thus concluding that I've eliminated some
"corruption" or something? (And if this is the case, I ask again: why can't
the app just fix this stuff by itself?) And if I put all this back in and
it's dog slow again, then what? The case above?

The effort it will take to recreate the bill is A LOT. I have 101 of them.
They total 335 split elements. 65 of these are classified. 184 of these have
memos associated.

I now have four M files will full (or almost full) sets of data. These seem
the only ones worth doing anything with. I have my M04 production
machine/production data file. The test machine has the M06 upgraded to M07
file that is what's left of my year long M06 extended dual entry trial. I
trust this one **almost** as much as the real file. The test machine also
has the M06 with bills removed file. As noted, this is like a car with 9/10s
of the body cut away to make it faster. Yes it's faster, but so what? It's
useless. But it took almost half an hour to get it there. I also have a copy
of the production file newly upgraded straight from M04 to M07. (More about
that elsewhere.) How do I get on with life? Try to maintain all four till I
figure out what really works best in M07? How do I do that with no bills in
one of them?

"Rod" <dont@email.me> wrote in message
> Wow, I just tried the "remove all bills data" from the repair menu and now
> Money only takes 5 seconds of CPU time to fully load.
>
> I wonder what will happen after I add the bills back in there...?

> Do I go spend a day or so recreating all of the bills hoping to find out
> that it's still faster--thus concluding that I've eliminated some
> "corruption" or something? (And if this is the case, I ask again: why can't
> the app just fix this stuff by itself?) And if I put all this back in and
> it's dog slow again, then what? The case above?

I'm in the same boat as you..  I am not sure if I want to go through the
effort of recreating all my bills just for this experiment.  And I'm
wondering if it will only affect load time anyway.  Besides initial load
time, it is hard for me to gauge actual performance of the application
during normal use since I am running 2007 it inside a VMware session.

What is your experience?  Is Money snappier during normal use with all
the bill data cleared out?  I can live with Money taking 35+ seconds to
initialize.  But I may go through the effort of recreating all the bills
if performance improves throughout the application.

Now I'm off to test what happens when I manually remove all the bills
from Money 2006...

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/21/2006 2:36:01 PM
> Now I'm off to test what happens when I manually remove all the bills
> from Money 2006...

I deleted all my bills and Money 2006 initialization time did not
improve at all.  This might be a good sign...  it may mean that 2007's
"clear bills" feature does a bit more than simply clearing out your
bills.  Maybe it clears out other cruft as well that kills performance.

Later today I will try to add the bills back in there and see what
happens to performance.  Hopefully it will stay fast.  In that case I
may actually purchase the 2007 upgrade.

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/21/2006 2:45:45 PM
comments inline.

> What is your experience?  Is Money snappier during normal use with all
> the bill data cleared out?

In the little amount I've done, it does seem overall faster. But without the
bills, there's very little worth doing and I haven't spent more than a few
minutes with the file that's in this state.

> I can live with Money taking 35+ seconds to
> initialize.  But I may go through the effort of recreating all the bills
> if performance improves throughout the application.
>
> Now I'm off to test what happens when I manually remove all the bills
> from Money 2006...

I noted your negative outcome on that test. I'll eagerly await a report
about what happens if/when you put the bills back in.

Like you, success with that case would probably sell me a copy of M07. But I
only want to do that ONCE, so I have to work out a strategy first. (Catch up
with the week's backlog of entry, then re-upgrade the "best" M04 file, then
undo all of the upgrade mangling, then re-do the nuke-the-bills "repair",
then repair the damage that does--maybe it'll rain all weekend and I'll have
nothing better to do, AND THEN do some more dual trial work?)

In microsoft.public.money, Rod wrote:

>> Now I'm off to test what happens when I manually remove all the bills
>> from Money 2006...
>
>I deleted all my bills and Money 2006 initialization time did not
>improve at all.  This might be a good sign...  it may mean that 2007's
>"clear bills" feature does a bit more than simply clearing out your
>bills.  Maybe it clears out other cruft as well that kills performance.
>
>Later today I will try to add the bills back in there and see what
>happens to performance.  Hopefully it will stay fast.  In that case I
>may actually purchase the 2007 upgrade.

You might try going to your register and selecting a representative
instance of your past bill and selecting "Make Recurring" (Ctrl+E).

This could simplify re-entering your bills after running the
File->Repair->RemoveBillsData.

0
via_newsgroup (13113)
7/21/2006 4:40:59 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:

>The effort it will take to recreate the bill is A LOT. I have 101 of them.
>They total 335 split elements. 65 of these are classified. 184 of these have
>memos associated.

You might try going to your register and selecting a representative
instance of your past bill and selecting "Make Recurring" (Ctrl+E).

This could simplify re-entering your bills after running the
File->Repair->RemoveBillsData -- especially for those with splits.

0
via_newsgroup (13113)
7/21/2006 4:41:48 PM
I'm seeing a significant reduction in the size of datafiles (~30%); I don't
know if it will persist.

--
Michael Gordon
MVP

message news:uFyLNDIrGHA.4356@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> The experiment is underway.
>
> Other M07 comments:
>
> Performance doesn't seem much different than M06. I should view that as a
> good thing compared to the possibility that it got worse. I don't.
>
> It still runs on after "exit". It no longer whines about Money is already
> running. It just ignores the attempt to open the file.  I suppose that's
> one way of dealing with the complaints about the message.
>
> My data file got smaller. That's never happened before.
>
> It's tough to find anything that has changed much at all. I saw some
> things that looked different--the fonts on Tools|Settings, the last
> balanced on date on the register views--but nothing of any consequence. I
> haven't yet tested to see if I can schedule classification of a loan
> payment, but my hopes aren't high.
>
> The new toy budget may or may not be a good thing--I just went to see the
> thing, not to actually try to use it. Certainly the notion that one simple
> maxim like "spend 60% of gross" is a universal budgeting solution seems
> simian at best and just silly at worst. (What if I want so spend only 40%?
> What if I'm at 70% and surviving fine? What if I just want to set targets
> and track performance to them like people have been doing with budgets for
> eons now?) So some MSN editor invented this thing? So what? If an MSN
> editor invented one and one tenth entry accounting, would that make it
> good? The good news is that if you have an existing Advanced Budget, you
> can keep using Advanced Budget. The bad news appears to be that a new file
> only gets the 60% toy. They're probably really proud of this. Seems like a
> step in the direction of cookie jar and piggy back accounting to me.
> Surely we should all think that heading toward removal of a complex, if
> problematic, feature in favor of some goofy toy is not a good sign for the
> future.
>
> Fifteen minutes later, it's still removing bills. For now, I'm running out
> of other things to say about M07. I did note that it suggested using the
> scheduled bill report to have a prayer of recovering from removing bills
> (if you have performance problems or your budget is hosed up--why can't
> they just fox whatever data there is that mungs it up?). That's
> problematic advice. Unless they've radically improved that report, there's
> lots of info that just doesn't come out in it like number remaining,
> method, approximate value, paycheck tab info, and edited occurrences, etc.
>
> Five more minutes and still it removes bills. I'm going to bed...
>
> "Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message
>> If you get to that, you might also try the
>> File->Repair->RemoveBillsData on a slow copy of your file. Of course
>> getting rid of bills would hinder your usage, but it could be an
>> interesting experiment.

0
gordonm (1013)
7/21/2006 5:30:28 PM
Several to many of my scheduled items have no representative instance in the
registers. Paychecks, for instances, are setup with splits to cover a
superset of all of the things that show up over the year. Many weeks I
delete some lines that are zero in the scheduled item but kept in the
scheduled item to "remember" the categorization/tab treatment for such a
thing. I also have transactions that are in the scheduled items just for
cashflow projection purposes but are never entered in registers. These
include things like fake paychecks setup for a limited number and special
starting dates to wedge in the category adjustments for the last several
weeks of the year when I hope to go over the FICA cap. These types of
scheduled items are one of the ways I get good cashflow projection and get
good tax estimator results.

For people following the thread, one workaround to this case is to Enter the
"template" transaction in to the register, blow away the bills, go find all
of the template transactions in the registers, r-click add them back to
bills, then delete the temporarily stored transaction.

It's still a lot of work and some stuff will still get lost and need
re-creation by hand.

> In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:
>

> >The effort it will take to recreate the bill is A LOT. I have 101 of
them.
> >They total 335 split elements. 65 of these are classified. 184 of these
have
> >memos associated.
>

> You might try going to your register and selecting a representative
> instance of your past bill and selecting "Make Recurring" (Ctrl+E).
>
> This could simplify re-entering your bills after running the
> File->Repair->RemoveBillsData -- especially for those with splits.

In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:

>For people following the thread, one workaround to this case is to Enter the
>"template" transaction in to the register, blow away the bills, go find all
>of the template transactions in the registers, r-click add them back to
>bills, then delete the temporarily stored transaction.

Sorting the register(s) by order of entry could facilitate that a
tad.

>It's still a lot of work and some stuff will still get lost and need
>re-creation by hand.
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
7/21/2006 6:09:24 PM
I saw a reduction but of the 5% range. More testing to do re. this
nuke-the-bills thing.

"Michael Gordon, MVP" <gordonm@denison.edu> wrote in message
> I'm seeing a significant reduction in the size of datafiles (~30%); I
> don't know if it will persist.

I am not quite following this Bill deletion/removal thread.   If you remove
your Bill data ( I assume past Bill data) doesn't that cause issues with
your past data for those Bill's?

Thanks

> In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:
>

>>For people following the thread, one workaround to this case is to Enter
>>the
>>"template" transaction in to the register, blow away the bills, go find
>>all
>>of the template transactions in the registers, r-click add them back to
>>bills, then delete the temporarily stored transaction.
>
> Sorting the register(s) by order of entry could facilitate that a
> tad.
>

>>It's still a lot of work and some stuff will still get lost and need
>>re-creation by hand.

justme1 (39)
7/21/2006 9:04:57 PM
Well, it probably means that the show bill paid mapping from prior
transaction entries to the scheduled item that entered it would be lost. (At
least I think they track this association somehow.) Since I rarely use that,
it's not a big factor in my equation of cost/benefit for going through this
compared to the marked increase in performance I saw after flushing them.
The BIG Q is if performance will stay so much better after I work my way
through re-entering 100+ of them.

"Andrew" <justme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I am not quite following this Bill deletion/removal thread.   If you remove
>your Bill data ( I assume past Bill data) doesn't that cause issues with
>your past data for those Bill's?

BTW, it's not past bill data--in the sense of transactions entered in
registers--that you are deleting. The transactions in the account registers
remain just fine. It's the scheduled "bills & deposits" "bills summary"
"advanced bills" for future entry you are deleting. I think (prior msg) that
nuking these nukes an association between these and the entries they spawned
in the register, but have not proven this.

"Andrew" <justme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I am not quite following this Bill deletion/removal thread.   If you remove
>your Bill data ( I assume past Bill data) doesn't that cause issues with
>your past data for those Bill's?

The reduction is before the bills-be-gone thing; that's next for me, but I
expect to see an improvement in performance even if I don't see one in
datasize. My understanding is that it does more than remove bills: it should
get rid of junk that can't be easily removed anyway. It should improve
stability and -- as well -- improve performance for a lot of activities
(such as reports) which accessed the bills list.

--
Michael Gordon
MVP

message news:%236$c7fQrGHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I saw a reduction but of the 5% range. More testing to do re. this
>nuke-the-bills thing.
>
> "Michael Gordon, MVP" <gordonm@denison.edu> wrote in message
>> I'm seeing a significant reduction in the size of datafiles (~30%); I
>> don't know if it will persist.

0
gordonm (1013)
7/21/2006 11:55:05 PM
> I wonder what will happen after I add the bills back in there...?

I added the bills back in there (about 20 of them) and startup
performance remained excellent.  It only went up from 5 seconds to about
7 seconds.  Definitely better than the 35+ seconds I generally have to
wait in order to use Money.

When adding the bills it prompted me if I wanted to add them to the
budget.. I said 'no' since I don't use the budget feature.  Not sure if
saying 'yes' would affect performance or not.

Looks like I may upgrade to 2007 after all.

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/22/2006 12:01:25 AM
Michael Gordon, MVP wrote:
> I'm seeing a significant reduction in the size of datafiles (~30%); I don't
> know if it will persist.

My file shrunk about 12%.

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/22/2006 12:02:15 AM
The % seems to be dependent on size: 30 went to 20, and 150 went to 125

--
Michael Gordon
MVP

> Michael Gordon, MVP wrote:
>> I'm seeing a significant reduction in the size of datafiles (~30%); I
>> don't know if it will persist.
>
> My file shrunk about 12%.
>
> -Rod

0
gordonm (1013)
7/22/2006 12:07:09 AM
> When adding the bills it prompted me if I wanted to add them to the
> budget.. I said 'no' since I don't use the budget feature.  Not sure if
> saying 'yes' would affect performance or not.

FYI... I went in and re-edited each bill and clicked ok, this time
saying 'yes' to add it to the budget.  This made no difference in
Money's startup time.

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/22/2006 12:10:24 AM
Why did you have to add the bills back in?  If you had the bills in the
prior version, it should have been included in the 07 version upon
conversion.

--

Neil

>> I wonder what will happen after I add the bills back in there...?
>
> I added the bills back in there (about 20 of them) and startup performance
> remained excellent.  It only went up from 5 seconds to about 7 seconds.
> Definitely better than the 35+ seconds I generally have to wait in order
> to use Money.
>
> When adding the bills it prompted me if I wanted to add them to the
> budget.. I said 'no' since I don't use the budget feature.  Not sure if
> saying 'yes' would affect performance or not.
>
> Looks like I may upgrade to 2007 after all.
>
> -Rod

Read more. Post less.

"Remove ABCD from Email address to reply" <neil154ABCD@earthlink.net> wrote
in message news:Alqwg.8265$vO.2190@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Why did you have to add the bills back in?  If you had the bills in the
> prior version, it should have been included in the 07 version upon
> conversion.

Excel 97 and 2007 on same computer
How can I *re-set* Windows XP SP2 to open all of my Excel files (.xls.xlt.csv) in Excel 97 when double-clicking? I also have Office 2007 installed inorder to sample the program, but not to use as my primary office application at this time. Thanks. -Dennis -- Dennis Kessler http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture You have to re-register the particular Excel version you want to open excel files with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214388/en-us -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message news:R%LSj.2715$NZ7.901@newsfe10.ams2... >...

Publisher 2007 does not recognize printer
When attempting to print any document, page & etc from Publisher 2007 the pop up window "To print or preview a publication, at least one printer must be installed on the system" appears. The printer is installed and prints with all other programs installed on the computer including a test print. I have met with negative results with anything I have tried. There have been similar problems with Publisher 2007. What model printer do you have? There is an article here that was posted by Mark Clifton sometime back, it might be the solution you are hoping for. It is the art...

Document scrolling in Word 2007
I think you can get documents to automatically scroll through when you are using compare - but can you get it to do it for just one document? It would be very useful for proof reading (e.g., you can do it on Acrobat) -- Jon Morgan of Paraphrase If you have a mouse with a clickable wheel in the middle, click it on the Word document. The cursor changes to a pair of arrowheads with a dot in the middle. Drag the mouse downward very slightly, and the document will start to scroll. The farther down you drag, the faster the scrolling becomes -- and anything more than the least pos...

Word 2007 copied URL's disabled
In Vista copied links to WOR turned blue and were underlined. They became active when the Ctrl key was clicked. In Windows 7 the copied links are black and not underlined. They won't work. How can I get them to work? Word options > proofing > autocorrect options > autoformat - check the box 'internet and network paths with hyperlinks' and any other options you require. Click OK. Then either add the 'autoformat now' button to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) or click ALT+CTRL+K to autoformat the document. -- <>>< ><<> &g...

correct settings for sql in ms office 2007
I don't believe my SQL is starting when I open MS Office 2007. I cannot send or receive email within the program. Which insances of SQL require what settings please. I'm at my wits end. Thank you. ...

Error 553 using Outlook 2007 and Vista
Hello. I'm getting the following error using Outlook 2007 and Vista: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.5.3 - chkuser) When I test the account settings, it's fine. I can recieve just fine, and the only outgoing messages without this error are for recepients with my same domain. I've turned off my antivirus and windows firewall. Still this doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 550 errors usually mean you're not authenticating properly, or you're attempting to use an SMTP server other than the one your ISP provides. ...

Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2007
I want to convert back from Microsoft Outlook 2007 to Microsoft Outlook 2003. Can that be done? Is Outlook 2007 backward compatable? No. Afraid you will need to uninstall OL 2007 and then install OL 2003 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. http://www.microsoft.com/protect "Guy" <gdelaney@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote in message news:OTykI2Q$KHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I want to convert back from Microsoft Outlook 2007 to Microsoft Outlook > 2003. Can...

Money 2007 payee name management
What is the best way to handle payee names and their variations? For example, I charge all of my gasoline purchases and typically fill- up at Raceway gas stations. After downloading the transactions each Raceway gas station appears with its own payee name, such as: Raceway 0001 Woodbridge Racewy 123 Edison ..... and so on I kind of like having this informatiion in the transaction register, but each one is a separate payee. At the same time I'd also like to group all of them under a single payee named Raceway. I started to use the automatic mapping of alternate payee nam...

upgrading from Access 97 to Access 2007
I designed a database (forms, reports, et al) several years ago in Access 97 and it continues to work well. I've just received a MS Office Professional 2007 and wonder if it is time to migrate my data into the new program. I've attempted two or three times to do this in Access 2002 and I keep getting error messages along the line of "...corrupted file..cannot be opened by Access 2002 (or some such message)..." The help radio button opens up a box which suggests I do some programming in Virtual Basic to perform my transfer task. The easy way out, of course, is to sti...

SharePoint 2007 Alerts
Alerts on out SharePoint 2007 server have been working for well over a year. On Monday, alerts stopped coming through on our "EmployeePortal" site. Alerts do come through from the same server from the "BusinessPortal" site. - Newly created alerts do send the "You have successfully created an alert for..." message from the "EmployeePortal" site. - Alerts do come through from the same server for a different web app/site collection. - Both "EmployeePortal" and "BusinessPortal" have the same outgoing email sett...

Ribbon in 2007
Recently installed 2007 Office Pro When I open Outlook, I do not see 'Ribbon' It seems as if I have the same format of 2003. Could anyone advise me how I can see Ribbon when I open Mail, Contacts, Calendar, etc -- Thank you in advance for your support and suggestions, HankL The main interface of Outlook 2007 does not have a Ribbon. Outlook 2007 does have a Ribbon when you create or open any item such as creating a new email or when opening a contact. Outlook 2010 will have the Ribbon in the main interface as well. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coaut...

How to Install Accounting Express 2008 from Office 2007 Discs
Hi - how do I install Accounting Express 2008 from the Office 2007 discs? Thank you. You don't. It's not there. And, it's no longer downloadable. It's been discontinued. "tmg2010" <tmg2010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E5641E0-FC17-49FA-9410-D835286AA8B0@microsoft.com... : Hi - how do I install Accounting Express 2008 from the Office 2007 discs? : Thank you. ...

Page numbering Word 2007
Hi! Here's my challenge with Word 2007: Docs I create (using a a simple template (not the Normal template)) place Page X of Y in the footer of page 1 and Page X of Y in the header of the 2nd & subsequent pages. After saving & then re-opening the doc the page numbering on page 1 displays Page 1 of 3 (even though there may be 20+ pages in the doc). I am only able to get the numbering on page 1 to correct itself to the full "Page 1 of Y", if I open the footer or place my cursor on another page or Update the doc. Interestingly the same Page X of Y numbering on ...

Access 97 Installed with 2007 Runtime
Hello. We are running Win7 with Access 97, Access 2007 Runtime and Office 2007 (without Access). When opening an mdb file with Access 97, the db opens fine. However, after closing the database, then opening an accdb file with access 2007 Runtime, I get the following error " There was a problem sending the command to the program." Immediately Access 2007 Runtime goes into the "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Access Runtime 2007" Following that, the 2007 DB opens with 2007 Runtime. How can I run both Programs and prevent the error ...

error 1606 office 2007
When i want to reinstal/ remove/ install office 2007, i get the message: Error 1606.Could not access network location :. can somebody help me? > When i want to reinstal/ remove/ install office 2007, i get the message: > Error 1606.Could not access network location :. > > can somebody help me? This is the wrong newsgroup for such issues -- Mike GoTinker, C# Blog http://www.gotinker.com "Roy" <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA257E02-AA9F-47C2-934F-FC4E30986616@microsoft.com... > When i want to reinstal/ remove/ ins...

Displaying colour codes in Word 2007
I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest. There seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of people MAD. When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version. Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of people who've never seen a computer. If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it is far from obv...

Losing all formatting in Excel 2007 files
I have Office 2007 running on an XP desktop and a Windows 7 laptop. I work on an Excel .xlsx file on my desktop but when I open it on my laptop all of the formatting is lost. I have had this exact same problem except vista to xp. I wouldn't lose all of the formatting, but some words would would be on different lines. Other things I have noticed is that my Office 2007 on Vista doesn't always have the same fonts as on my Office 2007 XP. I think the formatting issue is more of a compatibility issue. ...

reloaidng money 2007
I have just purchased a new computer and want to move my copy of money 2007 to this machine. I get the message that my allowable downloads have been exceeded. How do I get my money progrma onto the new machine? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve In microsoft.public.money, Steve B. wrote: >I have just purchased a new computer and want to move my copy of money 2007 >to this machine. I get the message that my allowable downloads have been >exceeded. I infer that you did not keep copy of the downloaded install file. > >How do I get my money progrma onto t...

Excell 2007 Dates and combining 2 cells
I have created a date in Excel with the format of 03/01/01 in the form of mm/dd/yy Sometimes it will display the date in the cell and sometimes it will display a 5 digit number. Also, even if it displays correctly in a cell when combining 2 cells (1 cell being the word date- and the other cell being the date as 03/01/01in the form of mm/dd/yy The combination will be the date and a six digit number. Example Date-16425. What do I need to do in these situations to that it will display the date correctly in one cell( 03/03/01) and display the date correctly in combined cells (Date- 03/...

Format only part of a DataLabel in Excel 2007/PowerPoint 2007 char
I am trying to custom format datalabels in a chart, for example if a DataLabel says 12%. I want to change it to say 12% A. This is fine, I have code (I'm actually using C# to develop but I made it into VBA code because I think it is clearer for this forum): ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate Set point = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(6).Points(1) point.DataLabel.Text = point.DataLabel.Text & " A" I saw similar code here too (http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ScientificNotation.html). This setting of the size on a given range of text wit...

How to display thumbnails using Access 2007 VBA on Windows XP
Hello guys, I'm developing an Access app with MS Access 2007 on Windows XP. On the right half screen pane, I need to display thumbnails of all images (.jpg and .tif) I scanned and located in a folder, using VBA code. When clicking on one of them, the same image must be displayed in normal size in the left half pane of the screen so the user is enabled to rotate it if necessary and then save it. The Access help is of no use, it does not explain how to do it. In some Help files, the example code does not even work (there is no picture box in the control list, only Imag...

Excel 2007 #3
Please forgive the ignorant question but when I open an Excel 2007 document all I see within the document is a blue screen and not data previously created. Thanks for your help Hi mike Is this with one workbook Mike or with more files? -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6ABEFF92-2EB0-44B9-9C07-F9ECAFE7D366@microsoft.com... > Please forgive the ignorant question but when I open an Excel 2007 document > all I see within the document is a blue screen and not data previously > ...

Backup/Restore Project 2007
Hello, Have single servers complete backup taken with Backup option from Central administration. Installed new W2K3 server, installed Project server 2007 Trial, trying to do complete restore and encounter errors. What is correct way of restoring Project 2007 server to different computer ? Sam This way of restoring is correct. But usually there are errors related to different level of Service Packs, hotfixes applied to the servers. "Sam" wrote: > Hello, > > Have single servers complete backup taken with Backup option from Central > admini...

outlook 2007 undocumented feature: tracked conversations
i am posting this after having scoured the web and microsoft's help resources to no avail looking for an explanation for the following label at the top of my emails in Outlook 2007 (running on XP): "This message is part of a tracked conversation. Click here to find all related messages or to open the original flagged message." My best guess is that this is a (undocumented) feature that informs the user that the message is part of something they have been paying attention to that was flagged earlier. I would like to know if this would still show up if the message flag was chang...

DPM 2007 or 2010 Network Bandwith Statistics?
After using Veritas for years and in the process of switching to DPM one of the first items I have noticed I am unable to find anywhere in DPM that displays the bandwith usage during a backup job. Yes it does show the progress however I would have thought there would be a place to view the current MB/min and when the job is complete I would like to see what the average mb/min was for the entire job. Does this not exist with DPM? I understand you can always fire up resource monitor, etc however I would think this would reside in DPM. Thanks We don't have network utiliza...