"This operation cannot be performed." error

Hi,

I noticed recently that I got a "This operation cannot be performed." error
whenever I started Money. The error details told me to run the Money file
Repair tool to fix the problem. I did a level 2 repair and the report
produced said "No broken records in the original file.". I still got errors
when I closed and further tried to reopen the file.

I then went into 'Bills' and started to delete a bill, then close/reopen
Money to see the effect. It came down to a single bill. I duplicated this
bill and deleted the original, now Money is working ok and not reporting a
"This operation cannot be performed." error.

Could someone tell me why this error originated in the first place? Is this
common? I cant understand why Money is this prone to error. Does this mean
that Money could be calculating stuff incorrectly like transactions and cash
flows etc?

I have now set up Money to make an uncompressed backup to HDD whenever I
close.

Any help most appreciated!

cheers,
peter

0
pwalker (10)
9/16/2005 3:18:30 PM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, PWalker wrote:

>Could someone tell me why this error originated in the first place? Is this
>common? I cant understand why Money is this prone to error. Does this mean
>that Money could be calculating stuff incorrectly like transactions and cash
>flows etc?

I don't know, but congratulations on your technique of isolating and
correcting the problem.

>I have now set up Money to make an uncompressed backup to HDD whenever I
>close.

Unless you use Money 2006 which will save unique backups, I think
that is not a good strategy. You don't want to overwrite your only
good backup. The following is my suggestion if using Money 2005 or
before:

In Tools->Options->Backup [M05: Tools->Settings->BackupOptions]
I suggest checking
 x Automatically backup to hard disk on exit
  x Prompt me before backing up each time*
  x Make my file small ... (but full size is good too)

Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your
latest backup (named differently from your earlier backups) to a
CDR. With XP, this can be a copy and paste operation. Otherwise
use the burning software that came with your CDR drive.

I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive also, in addition to
backing up to your hard drive.  They typically act like a big
floppy.  For a more automated way to make multiple backups, see
Glyn Simpson's method at http://money.mvps.org/backup.aspx

*  This has two advantages.  You can change the file name
occasionally.  I like to pick a name something like money050915.
Then it is easy to change the name to have multiple backups.  The
..mbf extension is automatic.  The other advantage is that you can
choose "Don't Back Up, or you change your mind about exiting by
simply clicking the X in the upper right of the pop-up box.
0
via_newsgroup (13113)
9/16/2005 4:10:38 PM
Thanks Cal for your reply; very much appreciated!

>>Could someone tell me why this error originated in the first place? Is
>>this
>>common? I cant understand why Money is this prone to error. Does this mean
>>that Money could be calculating stuff incorrectly like transactions and
>>cash
>>flows etc?
>
> I don't know, but congratulations on your technique of isolating and
> correcting the problem.
>

>>I have now set up Money to make an uncompressed backup to HDD whenever I
>>close.
>
> Unless you use Money 2006 which will save unique backups, I think
> that is not a good strategy. You don't want to overwrite your only
> good backup. The following is my suggestion if using Money 2005 or
> before:
>
> In Tools->Options->Backup [M05: Tools->Settings->BackupOptions]
> I suggest checking
> x Automatically backup to hard disk on exit
>  x Prompt me before backing up each time*
>  x Make my file small ... (but full size is good too)
>
> Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your
> latest backup (named differently from your earlier backups) to a
> CDR. With XP, this can be a copy and paste operation. Otherwise
> use the burning software that came with your CDR drive.
>
> I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive also, in addition to
> backing up to your hard drive.  They typically act like a big
> floppy.  For a more automated way to make multiple backups, see
> Glyn Simpson's method at http://money.mvps.org/backup.aspx
>

> *  This has two advantages.  You can change the file name
> occasionally.  I like to pick a name something like money050915.
> Then it is easy to change the name to have multiple backups.  The
> .mbf extension is automatic.  The other advantage is that you can
> choose "Don't Back Up, or you change your mind about exiting by
> simply clicking the X in the upper right of the pop-up box.

0
pwalker (10)

"This operation cannot be performed." error
Hi, I noticed recently that I got a "This operation cannot be performed." error whenever I started Money. The error details told me to run the Money file Repair tool to fix the problem. I did a level 2 repair and the report produced said "No broken records in the original file.". I still got errors when I closed and further tried to reopen the file. I then went into 'Bills' and started to delete a bill, then close/reopen Money to see the effect. It came down to a single bill. I duplicated this bill and deleted the original, now Money is working ok and not re...

This operation cannot be performed...
Oh please someone make this annoyance go away!! I have Money 2003. Everything works fine but when I login with my password it tells me "This operation cannot be performed" so I have to click ok. When I click ok it works fine as if I got no error message. I know its minor but it is soooo annoying!! How do I make it stop!! It has to have something to do with the file because I run two different files in Money. One for business and one for home and the business one does not give me that message when I log in. Is someone smart enough to fix this!?! We may not be smart en...

error on close: "This operation cannot be performed."
this happens but my info is saved. view details explains that microsoft doesn't know what happened, must be corrupt. repair file had no effect. happens when i close the program from one of my account windows. any clues? See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=44 -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Money Deluxe 2003 "This operation cannot be performed."
When attempting to open Money 2003 Deluxe, I receive the error message "This operation cannot be performed." I have tried the salvage utility and it finds no broken files. This happens on start-up, so I cannot get to the Bills section. Any help is appreciated. Yes, by going through Windows Explorer. What then? >-----Original Message----- >Are you able to open the sample file? > >-- >Michael Gordon - MVP > > >"bbutler" <bbutler@everestkc.net> wrote in message >news:787a01c359fa$d385e750$a001280a@phx.gbl... >> When attempting ...