"Cash balance" in Microsoft Money 2004/2005

Somehow I must have changed some setting in Money that is causing this
problem.  It started with Money 2004.  I hoped it would go away when I
updated to Money 2005, but it didn't.  The problem is that in a brokerage
account when I sell a stock the "Cash balance" value doesn't get updated.
"Cash balance" doesn't get updated when I add cash to the account either.

Can anyone point me to the setting I might have changed to cause this?

Thanks for your help!
0
Mike1154 (1216)
4/15/2005 12:19:06 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Hello,
You wrote on Fri, 15 Apr 2005 05:19:06 -0700:

 M> Somehow I must have changed some setting in Money that is causing this
 M> problem.  It started with Money 2004.  I hoped it would go away when I
 M> updated to Money 2005, but it didn't.  The problem is that in a
 M> brokerage account when I sell a stock the "Cash balance" value doesn't
 M> get updated.  "Cash balance" doesn't get updated when I add cash to the
 M> account either.

 M> Can anyone point me to the setting I might have changed to cause this?

make sure that the proceeds for te sale go to the associated cash account
which balance you expect to update, not to some other account.

Regards

0
vr1 (47)
4/16/2005 12:18:20 PM

Vadim,

Thanks for the reply.  How can I tell what account the cash is going into?

Thanks!

"Vadim Rapp" wrote:

> Hello,
> You wrote on Fri, 15 Apr 2005 05:19:06 -0700:
>
>  M> Somehow I must have changed some setting in Money that is causing this
>  M> problem.  It started with Money 2004.  I hoped it would go away when I
>  M> updated to Money 2005, but it didn't.  The problem is that in a
>  M> brokerage account when I sell a stock the "Cash balance" value doesn't
>  M> get updated.  "Cash balance" doesn't get updated when I add cash to the
>  M> account either.
>
>  M> Can anyone point me to the setting I might have changed to cause this?
>
> make sure that the proceeds for te sale go to the associated cash account
> which balance you expect to update, not to some other account.
>
> Regards

0
Mike1154 (1216)
4/27/2005 11:00:02 AM
Hello Mike:
You wrote in conference microsoft.public.money  on Wed, 27 Apr 2005
04:00:02 -0700:

 M> Thanks for the reply.  How can I tell what account the cash is going
 M> into?

create a stock sell transaction and check the field "tranfrer to".

Vadim

0
vr (140)
4/27/2005 12:19:24 PM
Vadim,

Thanks!  That was the problem.

Mike

"Vadim Rapp" wrote:

> Hello Mike:
> You wrote in conference microsoft.public.money  on Wed, 27 Apr 2005
> 04:00:02 -0700:
>
>  M> Thanks for the reply.  How can I tell what account the cash is going
>  M> into?
>
> create a stock sell transaction and check the field "tranfrer to".
>

> Vadim

0
Mike1154 (1216)
4/29/2005 6:54:04 PM
HELP I can't figure out how to enter a cash balance in the portfolio....any
ideas...anything i put in like $ gets rejected....

"Mike" wrote:

> Somehow I must have changed some setting in Money that is causing this
> problem.  It started with Money 2004.  I hoped it would go away when I
> updated to Money 2005, but it didn't.  The problem is that in a brokerage
> account when I sell a stock the "Cash balance" value doesn't get updated.
> "Cash balance" doesn't get updated when I add cash to the account either.
>
> Can anyone point me to the setting I might have changed to cause this?
>
> Thanks for your help!
0
cad2020 (1)
2/14/2008 8:29:01 PM
In microsoft.public.money, cad2020@aol.com
<cad2020@aol.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>HELP I can't figure out how to enter a cash balance in the portfolio....any
>ideas...anything i put in like $ gets rejected....

What program are you using? What is it that you did that caused
something to be rejected?

A cash balance would apply to a particular account, and not to the
"portfolio".

>"Mike" wrote:
>
>> Somehow I must have changed some setting in Money that is causing this
>> problem.  It started with Money 2004.  I hoped it would go away when I
>> updated to Money 2005, but it didn't.  The problem is that in a brokerage
>> account when I sell a stock the "Cash balance" value doesn't get updated.
>> "Cash balance" doesn't get updated when I add cash to the account either.
>>
>> Can anyone point me to the setting I might have changed to cause this?
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
2/14/2008 10:00:13 PM
To Cal's questions I would add: where/how did you try to put this cash in?
An Investment Account register? An Investment Cash Account register? A
Transfer from some other account in Money? An income transaction?

"cad2020@aol.com" <cad2020@aol.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B608A268-6288-4C01-B991-F2A31C66D10E@microsoft.com...
> HELP I can't figure out how to enter a cash balance in the
> portfolio....any
> ideas...anything i put in like $ gets rejected....

Investment balances show contributions as negative cash balance
Hi, I'm using Money 2006. When I downloaded transaction for the first time, Money added up all my cash contributions as a negative cash balance. This completely skews my portfolio view - in fact, it shows a negative cash balance worth more than all my investments... How can I solve this? I just started using Money and I don't have that much work put into it so far. I'd be willing to delete & re-upload accounts if I did something wrong initially. Most of those contributions are direct deposit from paycheck to 401(k) and never went through my bank account. A smaller...

problem with cash balance of investment account.
Hi I'm using Money 2006 Deluxe. I update online regularly. I have an investment/stock account that is having issues. When I look at it in the Account Summary it shows an incorrect cash balance. The investment balance is pretty close to the actual...just off because of some minor differences in stock quotes. But, the cash balance is way off. Also when I compare the Total Account Value from the Account Summary page to the total shown on the Account List, it's way off. I'm having a hard time figuring out where the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Scott I...

Keeping my cash expenses from subtracting the cash balance
I have Ecell 2003 and I have just started a Family budget. I have inputed everything and it is working fine,Till I input what I pay for in cash and it also subtracts from my cash balance. I do not want that, I want a clear picture of where I am spending my money, Not to alter something to make it add up to my checkbook. I woould apperciate any help. Thank you I'm certainly confused. When *I* spend cash, it makes *my* cash balance lower. Have you found a way to spend money that doesn't? If so, please elaborate. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a qu...

Incorrect cash balance in an investment account
First off, thanks for all of the help on the Ameritrade money market issue. Cal, if you can help me with this one i'll be immensely grateful - it's the most vexing Money problem i've come across and frankly it undermines my ability to make much use of Money currently. Here's my problem: I download transactions for several RBC Dain Rauscher accounts that i have. Over time i've made a number of transfers between my various RBC accounts as well between my RBC accounts and other accounts (most notably my savings account). At various points, when i've downloaded tran...

Money Plus Deluxe investment cash balance problem
I am running Money Plus Deluxe (v17.0.120.1415) and have a problem that started about a week ago. One of my investment accounts shows two different balances for the "Contibutions" / Cash Tranasactions. When I select the Investment account from the "Account List" then select "View: Cash Transactions" from the options on the right, the amount shown in the balance column is correct. It also matches "to the penny" with the downloaded "Bank Balance" shown in bold just above the "Balance" column. The "View" pulldown show...

Daily cash balance across multiple cash accounts
Is there any way that I can get a report or create a report that will show the daily cash balances for the past year for various different cash accounts?? We recently upgraded to version 9 and I was really hoping that there would be something new but have not been able to locate anything. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Dawn ------=_NextPart_0001_88CD147C Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Dawn, Thank you for your inquiry. You are correct, there is not an existing report that will show daily balance information in the system. However, much o...

MSN Portfolio Manager Doesn't Sync Cash Balance with Money 2004
Hi All: After working hard to get my Money 2004 to synchronize with MSN Money (thanks Mark...), I still have the following problem. My investment accounts which can be displayed by the MSN Portfolio Manager do not display the correct cash balance for my investment accounts. After the initial synchronization between Money 2004 and MSN Money, when I go to MSN Money/My Money and display the Portfolio Manager, my accounts were correct except for the cash balances were not transferred. (This obviously resulted in the account balances being incorrect.) I went into the individual investment Account...

Cash balances in accounts synchronized with MoneyCentral
Has anyone figured out how to get cash balances to show up in accounts synchronized with MoneyCentral? I finally have the investment portion (almost) correct, but the cash balances are still not there. -- The Other Jim Hargrove Austin, TX ...

Checkbook balance and cash balance do not match
Does anyone know how to correct a checkbook account if the balance does not match the cash account it is attached to? I believe this may have occurred when we created the checkbook id after using the cash account. Lee, If you cash GL account has the correct amount and you need to change the checkbook to match it, here are 2 options: 1. If you have not reconciled the checkbook yet (ever), you can fill in the last reconciled balance on the checkbook maintenance screen. This option is only available before you run the first reconciliation for a checkbook. 2. Enter a bank transaction of ...

PortfolioCash Balance Error
The balance on the cash line on the portfolio page is different than the balance on the cash detail page. A specific transaction is included twice in the portfolio page balance but is listed only once in the cash detail page and the balance on the cash detail page. I tried the file repair feature to no avail. Even when I delete the transaction on the detail page, it remains as part of the balance on the portfolio page. ...

Investments show incorrect cash balances after conversion to 2005
I installed Money 2005 Deluxe about a month ago without any problems...or so I thought. While balancing my investments, I noticed that all investment account's cash balances show a substantial negative balance. It appears that during the conversion process, Money 2005 changed stock sells from depositing the associated cash to having made a cash payment instead. Over time this has created a greatly negative balance since both buys and sells are subtracting from the bottom line in the cash ending balance. Does anybody have any ideas on how to correct this? I don't have an ans...

Ending Cash Balance in Investment Transactions Register vs Cash Transactions #2
This subject is the same as a previous topic. There didn't seem to be a conclusion in the last discussion of this problem, so I decided to address it once again for those who may still be suffering from this issue. Nonetheless, it's probably worth it for you to read the previous discussion for additional background and context information. THE PROBLEM: In MS Money 2004, for whatever reason, some transactions are stored as Opening Balance transactions and they're hidden from the user such that the opening balance will always be greater than zero even when there are no transaction...

Cash Balance for Investment Account
When I look at one of my "Investment Accounts", the Cash Balance when viewing the "Investment Transaction" Screen shows ($1,139.83). However, when I view the "Cash Transactions" screen, it shows a balance of $1,860.17. The correct amount is $1,860.17. I've been searching for the problem for several hours and am about to screem. Can someone please help? Which version of Money? -- "Dave W" <DaveW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D385A2B-6F03-49BC-923E-26EAEE854693@microsoft.com... > When I look at one of my "...

Money 2004: Syncronization and cash balances
I was happy to find that Money 2004 synchronizes with Money Central, something that I could never get to work in M2003. However, none of the cash balances show up, even though I have checked the box in investment account details to track cash balances. Is this a known problem? Has anyone else seen it? -- The Other Jim Hargrove Austin, TX ...

Erratic changes in cash balances
My MS Money 2003 is showing changes in cash balances from time to time even though no transactions have been added for 9 days. The balances seem to change spontaneously when updates for latest market quotes are executed. Frustrating! This only began happening early this month when Canadian Mutual Fund postings became unreliable or non existent; however this was fixed a few days ago. What can be done? -- Pug Is this on a net worth over time graph? If so, check the price histories and see whether there are any zeroes for any of the prices. If so, remove them. -- Glyn Simpson, M...

Why do investment transactions affect "ending cash balance"
Money 2004: I have a Merrill Lynch account that is an investment account which also has an embedded checking account. The checking account transactions show up in my "cash transactions" (which I want). Shares are added & removed on the investment side to reflect the cash transactions. However, the Account Balance/Ending Cash Balance on the Investment Transactions page appears to be a summation of all investment transactions (e.g. remove 400 shares + add 50 shares shows up as +$450). What gives? Right now the account shows I have $60K more than I should; generous but no...

Problem with investment vs cash balances in Money 2004
I am having a terrible problem with balancing the cash side of an investment account. I have searched this newsgroup and have already tried the various "file repair" options (i.e., msmoney -s, quick and standard file repair, and salvage). I have even exported the account and reimported it. However, none of these attempts have fixed the problem (or even identified that anything is wrong with the file). Here is what I am experiencing: I use a brokerage account as my checking account. I download transactions periodically and reconcile the cash side monthly against my paper...

Ending Cash Balance in Investment Transactions Register vs Cash Transactions
I have a balancing problem. The ending cash balance on the Investment Transactions register and the Cash Transactions register for the same investment account does match. The balance in the Cash Transactions register matches the bank statement. The cash balance that shows up in the portfolio for this Investment account is the balance on the Investment transactions register. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix? I have run the quick file repair and the standard file repair and neither worked. You help would be appreciated. Mark Probably my problem, Mark, bu...

Cash Balance in investment transactions vs. that in cash transacti
In one of my investment accounts, the cash balance shown in "investment transactions" differs from the balance shown in "cash transactions". The difference is int the amount of a certain dividend that was paid prior to 2nd quarter this year. The dividend entries appear to be ok. The amount shown under cash transactions is correct. The amount under investment transactions is in error and this is the value that shows up in the portfolio and the monthly report generated under "Reports". What is strange is that I balanced this account at the end of the 1st...

"Cash balance" in Microsoft Money 2004/2005
Somehow I must have changed some setting in Money that is causing this problem. It started with Money 2004. I hoped it would go away when I updated to Money 2005, but it didn't. The problem is that in a brokerage account when I sell a stock the "Cash balance" value doesn't get updated. "Cash balance" doesn't get updated when I add cash to the account either. Can anyone point me to the setting I might have changed to cause this? Thanks for your help! Hello, You wrote on Fri, 15 Apr 2005 05:19:06 -0700: M> Somehow I must have changed some setting i...

Money Market / Cash Balances
I have a brokerage account that sweeps any cash into a Money Market. This includes divs, stock sales, deposits, etc. I would like to delete the cash position and force Money to not keep track of this in the future. It is now showing an inflated account balance because it is counting the cash twice. Please help. I can get it to not DL Cash Trans from the account website, but I can't delete the existing position supposedly unless I disable the download feature. Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Chris Monroe wrote: >I have a brokerage account that sweeps any cash into a &...

Cash Balance in Investment Account
I can't seem to get the cash balances in one of my investment accounts to match up. The ending cash balance on the investment transactions and account summary page is more than the balance showing in the cash transactions page (which matches what is actually in the account). Any ideas on how to get these to match up? The account has been balanced. In microsoft.public.money, Toby wrote: >I can't seem to get the cash balances in one of my investment accounts to >match up. The ending cash balance on the investment transactions and account >summary page is more than th...

Cash Balances recalculating in Deluxe online portfolio
I have an annoying problem with MSN Money online deluxe portfolio. I use it to track all my ISA and broker accounts and whenever I receive interest on a cash balance or a debit charge on one of those accounts I go into portfolio Manager and adjust the cash balance. When I edit the Current Balance in nthe Account settings the figure re-calculates as if the value is being translated into a different currency. e.g Current Balance shows: £4108.15; I edit this because of new cash to a value of £5000 but the value then re-calculates automatically to show £6,728.84. My settings are s...

Discrepancy between cash balances in investment accounts
I can't figure out how this happened but there is a difference between the cash account cash balance and the ending cash balance in the associated investment account. I see no reason for the difference. Funds for all my investment transactions look properly applied to the cash account. Any suggestion on fixing this problem? This is very annoying as many reports are now inconsistent as a result. Thanks in advance Regis In microsoft.public.money, Regis wrote: >I can't figure out how this happened but there is a >difference between the cash account cash balance and the &...

Adjust Cash Balance
I have an Account that I have not reconciled in awhile. The Balance in Money is $130.98 less than last Statement. I would rather not spent countless hours finding it. So How can I add that amount into this Account as an adjustment as I am not really putting money into it so that it will balance as of year end. -- Barry www.beamalarm.com In microsoft.public.money, beamone wrote: >I have an Account that I have not reconciled in awhile. The Balance in Money >is $130.98 less than last Statement. I would rather not spent countless >hours finding it. So How can I add that amount ...