Word 2007 - Automatic indentation of numbered lists

Hello,

It would help to get the final word on this from Microsoft, but in Word
2007. Is there anyway to control the indent on automatic numbered lists? I
would prefer for all automatic numbered lists to be flush to the left side
like a normal paragraph. Thanks so much for any response!

The only way to control this is to apply a style with the desired settings.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"ITNoob101" <ITNoob101@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> It would help to get the final word on this from Microsoft, but in Word
> 2007. Is there anyway to control the indent on automatic numbered lists? I
> would prefer for all automatic numbered lists to be flush to the left side
> like a normal paragraph. Thanks so much for any response!

0
Suzanne
2/4/2010 5:26:07 PM
On Feb 4, 11:05=A0am, ITNoob101 <ITNoob...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It would help to get the final word on this from Microsoft, but in Word
> 2007. Is there anyway to control the indent on automatic numbered lists? =
> would prefer for all automatic numbered lists to be flush to the left sid=
> like a normal paragraph. Thanks so much for any response!

I tried the suggested solutions suggested by Microsoft, and they did
not work. But I found a procedure that does work. The secret is that
you CANNOT (as far as I can determine) stop Word 2007 from doing an
automatic hanging indent, shifting paragraphs or doing any of a number
of other disfunctional things to your text. So you need to outwit the
program. Here's how:
(a) Start the line with a tab key, but
(b) DO NOT type the paragraph number. Instead,
(c) hit the space bar 5 - 7 times (depending upon how much space you
want to put between the line number and the beginning of your written
text on that line. Then
(d) hit the back-arrow key several times to get to where you want your
paragraph number to appear. (Note: This is one of the four directional
arrows in the lower right-hand corner of the keyboard; it is NOT the
backspace key.) Next,
(e) type the paragraph number. Then
(f) use the forward-arrow to get back to the point where you want to
begin typing your written text. Finally, at the end of the line,
(g) DO NOT hit the return key (which will arbitrarily rearrange your
paragraph with a host of unwanted indents and spacing), but
(h) use the down-arrow to get to the next line, where you can repeat
steps (a) through (f) above.
This is easier than it sounds. It is regrettable that all of this is
necessary in order to circumvent the supposed "convenience" of
Microsoft's automatic formatting features, and that Microsoft has not
responded to the all-but-universal desire of its users to have a no-
frills program that merely produces documents.
0
George1
2/11/2010 4:49:42 AM
If you want to format (and number) your lists manually, then you need to
disable "Automatic numbered lists" in the AutoCorrect Options.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"George1" <gboffice1@verizon.net> wrote in message
On Feb 4, 11:05 am, ITNoob101 <ITNoob...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It would help to get the final word on this from Microsoft, but in Word
> 2007. Is there anyway to control the indent on automatic numbered lists? I
> would prefer for all automatic numbered lists to be flush to the left side
> like a normal paragraph. Thanks so much for any response!

I tried the suggested solutions suggested by Microsoft, and they did
not work. But I found a procedure that does work. The secret is that
you CANNOT (as far as I can determine) stop Word 2007 from doing an
automatic hanging indent, shifting paragraphs or doing any of a number
of other disfunctional things to your text. So you need to outwit the
program. Here's how:
(a) Start the line with a tab key, but
(b) DO NOT type the paragraph number. Instead,
(c) hit the space bar 5 - 7 times (depending upon how much space you
want to put between the line number and the beginning of your written
text on that line. Then
(d) hit the back-arrow key several times to get to where you want your
paragraph number to appear. (Note: This is one of the four directional
arrows in the lower right-hand corner of the keyboard; it is NOT the
backspace key.) Next,
(e) type the paragraph number. Then
(f) use the forward-arrow to get back to the point where you want to
begin typing your written text. Finally, at the end of the line,
(g) DO NOT hit the return key (which will arbitrarily rearrange your
paragraph with a host of unwanted indents and spacing), but
(h) use the down-arrow to get to the next line, where you can repeat
steps (a) through (f) above.
This is easier than it sounds. It is regrettable that all of this is
necessary in order to circumvent the supposed "convenience" of
Microsoft's automatic formatting features, and that Microsoft has not
responded to the all-but-universal desire of its users to have a no-
frills program that merely produces documents.

0
Suzanne

Formatting Lost in Excel 2007
Good afternoon, I've spent a lot of time googling but all I really came up with is that it may be due to links (which I have deleted) so hopefully someone out there will have an answer. We have a very large workbook that has been used since before 2005 that we have never had a problem with. Two months ago, we started using Excel 2007 but had no issues. In about mid-April when opening the file, all of the formatting is gone! So we assumed someone saved it as the wrong file so we copied an older version of the file and reformatted the entire thing. Saved it and reopened and no f...

Printing WORD docs from a form

SUMing small numbers
For simplicty say I have two cells with values 0.0000004499190595611849428288 and 0.0000004499190595611849428288. If I have a formula that adds the two cells (=A1 + A2) the value seems to be accurate. But if I use the 'SUM' function (=SUM(A1:A2)) I get a result of zero, exactly. I have tried formatting the result of the SUM with scientific notation just to see if the value is just too small but it is really zero. I should see the sum to be something like .0000009... but it is zero. This came up when I tried to SUM about 31,000 data values (all small like this) and the result cam...

Money 2007 Premium Application Error
Hi, I started getting an application error while in Money and now can't get into it at all. I get error message unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at 0x7813e792. I've uninstalled the application then reinstalled it using the CD an I get the error message. It occurs after entering my passowrd when the Home page is displayed. Any thoughts? -- John ...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Encoded Word Documents

"Magnify" on-screen phone number?
I'm using OL 2003, I look up a phone number from a contact, then turn to the phone, which is on the desk behind me, and halfway thru dialing I inevitably have to turn back to the computer to see the rest of the phone number. Is there some 3rd party app that will magnify the phone number (or any portion of the screen) so it's easier to read from a few feet away? Never mind, I found it. 3rd party, hell, it's part of XP. "T. Wise" <terwise@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23X3Eh%23MmGHA.1912@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I'm using OL 2003, I look up a ...

how to summarize total number of appearance in a column?
Can you tell me how to summarize total number of appearance in a column? For example, I have a column with three names appear at different rows another column with value to the names: John 45 Mary 15 John 33 Rick 10 Rick 11 Mary 31 Mary 22 John 0 How can I summarize: Number of times John appears (3 times), and the total number in John's row (45+33+0=78). Thank you. =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"John") =SUMIF(A1:A10,"John",B1:B10) if you replace "John" with a cell like C1 you ca...

Outlook 2007 Export w/ Date
We have a need to print a list of e-mails from Outlook 2007, so we can make comments on each of them. The export seemed to be a perfect fit for this, because we could bring it into Excel, and type our notes. However the export does not include the date field. That's crazy. That's one of the main pieces. Is there any way at all to export this data and include the dates? Thanks, Jesse http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/copy_data.htm - if you need the message body, add the message field to the view and copy and paste. Note that it works best if don't need the body - or at...

Where are my saved word?

Page Numbers #15
Publisher 2007 Is there a field for the number of pages? eg Page x of y, where y is the total number of pages. I have found the current page number field (#), but not the total. Go to the Master Page, manually type of x pages after the #. Publisher doesn't count, it will be up to you to type the number of pages. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "ZootRot" <SendMeAsMuchSpamAsPossibleBecauseILoveReceivingSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:e4sBAF2sJHA.4876@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Publisher 2007 > > Is there a field for the number of pages? eg Pag...

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

DPM 2007 Rollup KB 979970 is now available
Folks: The latest DPM 2007 Rollup KB 979970 is now available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=775e1a23-825f-450a-9d71-6b8c951ea748. The KB page is available http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979970 -- Thanks Praveen T [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights ...

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

Create List/Add Row
Hello, I used the "Create List" function for a number of columns in a worksheet - but not all. I need to add a row, and I keep getting a message that says, "This operation is not allowed. The operation is attempting to shift cells in a list on your worksheet." I can add a row IN a list, but it only adds it in one column and doesn't carry it across the worksheet. It's when I try to add a row outside of a list that I get the error. Is there a way to correct this, so I can add/delete rows as needed? Thank you, in advance. Maybe you can convert e...

MS Pub 2007
I'm using MS Pub 2007 and have a question about HTML fragments. I am attempting to insert the javascript from aWeber where a person can subscribe to my newsletter off my website (created with Pub). How can I set up a "submit" button in my publication with the script? Thanks for your help. Gary Inserted HTML code fragments will not work in an email message from Publisher. Sorry. DavidF "geedc" <geedc1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:aff5f787-ccfe-423e-b392-66227f87c16d@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com... > I'm using MS Pub 2007 and have a question about HT...

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Outlook 2007 problems 03-08-10
Hello guys, When I run Outlook, the first thing I see is Outlook Today, which is good. But I cannot see my calendar entries on it. I have my work schedule, birthdays, public holidays all in separate calendars in outlook, but none of them show up on outlook today at all, I've search the net but cannot seem to find the answer help please... Are they all in subfolders of the default calendar or do you have anything IN the default calendar folder? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/out...

my e-mail dose not work in office 2007
i am trying to e-mail from office 2007 i have to icon but when i click on it nothing happens do i have to activate it "glo" <glo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D3ED581-F3ED-4C6A-9048-893EC1F57761@microsoft.com... >i am trying to e-mail from office 2007 i have to icon but when i click on >it > nothing happens do i have to activate it And your email client is? -- Asking a question? Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about, your OS, Service Pack level and the FULL contents of any error message(s) See if your mail p...

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...